FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Honesty in interviews





hunterm
How honest are you in job interviews?

I'm an IT contractor and about to complete a course in a new technology. Problem is that I won't have any experience in it. Should I blag (lie) in my interviews saying I've got the experience or should I tell the truth.

What would you do?
brokenadvice
Tell the truth. If it comes out later you had no clue what you were doing that could be pretty bad. Just say you have little experience in that field, but are actively seeking advancement in it.
Azmo
agree.. always tell the truth about this stuff.. they will find out otherwise.. but if you are honest it's a good chance they will educate you abit and you will learn and get experience Very Happy
greatfire
Truth for sure. You can lie about little things but not about how much experience you have, it will come back to bight you.
Insanity
I agree, something like experience is really easy to tell if you're lying about it, and you'll soon get into a situation where it won't be fun.
hunterm
I can see what you are all saying and would normally agree with you in any other situation. But as an IT contractor they don't tend to take people on unless they have a couple of years experience and I've been on quite a few projects where they've demanded certain things in interviews and you find the situation on the ground is quite different. Many times I've found that the roles are quite different on a job to how they were described in the interview.

I think I'll try the honesty approach first, and if I have no luck.... then I'll try careful exaggeration... If still no luck, then I'll try blatant lying Shocked
akshar
Its always nice to speak the truth.But some companies also see that how confidently you can say the false thing.But according to me you should prove that without having experience you can do your work well
Daisie
Just say that your experience is limited but that you are an avid and fast learner.

I wouldnt lie in interview but make them understand that I learn fast and I am very eager to do so. Be entousiastic!
GDRanimation
l
Shin
Sure you can lie everyone does it. 90% of my friends failed the interviews of telling the truth. Those who lie always get the job. Of course lying itself is a skill. You must know how to do it. Not all the interviewer knows everything you said.
frozenhead
Well, Interviews are "Sell-Your-Self" situations. Honesty in interviews is really difficult but try as honest as you can because they'll hire you based on how you collaborate with the interviewer.
Azmo
a succesful lie starts with a fast answer, never think twice.. if you decide to lie or "tend the truth abit" sit straight up and say it as you actually belives it yourself.. if you stud, or think for a long time, it's a big chance they'll see trough this..

gl in getting the job
GSIS
If you're an IT contractor and you're considering lying at an interview you could end up in very deep and particularly nasty sh!t.

First of all, you're misrepresenting yourself, and any agency involved, to your potential client. That's bad enough, but if taken on and you damage their systems you leave yourself, and possibly your agency, liable for the costs - maybe including consequential losses.

I have no idea what the system is you're putting yourself forward to work on, but you could be looking at shutting down a factory for a day or two, maybe having a nurse give inappropriate treatment in a hospital, landing a fly-by-wire aircraft when the pilot really wants it to climb ...

Don't do it. It's just not worth it.
mjohnson
telling the truse is very important, whatever the result will be.
BosLady
I have taught interview classes in the past and I have also interviewed job candidates for positions at the company I was with. In the interview, one of the main things they are trying to figure out about you is if you are an honest truthful person. They are looking at your personality, how you handle yourself, etc. Your experience should already be on your resume. If you lie, you better be good at it, or you won't get the job.
vervaeke
I agree that in general you need to tell the truth in interviews. However, by telling the truth, you could be giving the wrong picture of yourself. For example, when I interviewed for my current job I was asked how well I know a certain computer program. The truth was that I didn't really know how to use it. But I knew what the program involved, and having a computer degree I knew I could pick it up quick. So I said I knew it and then when I got hired I took a couple days to learn it. If I had said I didn't know it but explained that I felt I could pick it up quickly, I wouldn't have had the same chance. Telling someone you can pick something up quickly doesn't quite cut it because they have no idea if that's TRUE.
secondeye
always speak truth in evry kinda Interview and Be confident on what you say..
KellaDayne
i didn't take such an interview yet, but i'm already learning in university, how shoud we answer on this or that question. it can be really tricky and i don't think we should lie, but we should think about the way we can tell truth.
special words, sentensies and even intonations help...
hunterm
Well, I had my first interview in this new technology yesterday. Well, I slightly exagerated my experience. I think they saw straight through me. I got torn apart and I think it was one of the toughest interviews I've ever had, and being a contractor, I've had quite a few interviews.

It was a bit unpleasant, but I might exagerate on my next interview (lightening can't strike in the same place twice surely Very Happy )

Saying that, I have a telephone interview in a couple of hours for a company that is located in Scotland, so I'm going to tell the Truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, because I don't want to be dragged up there for a face to face on the back of a lie!
mstreet
I prefer one to one interviews I really hate phone interviews, I find them much harder.
secondeye
You should be very hopnest in your interviews and should be tricky that your truth becoms some logic that the interviewer take it seriously and gave u a task u appoint for, Well Just give logical and good answers Wink
Afaceinthematrix
Like everyone else said, tell the truth about your experience because if you don't they will find out later when you have no clue what you are doing. Try and make yourself sound the best as possible with what you have.
creezalird
just be honest to be safe...in any matter actually this can be applied...
bonestorm74
I wouldn't lie outright, but I see no problem in exaggerating a bit. I've done it before. As long as you don't go out of your depth you should be ok. I've backed myself to learn or be able to figure things out when starting the job, and that has always happened. If you tell the employer that you are proficient in X and you start the job and you are absolutely hopeless, you'll look pretty stupid though, so if you're going to exaggerate you have to be able to back it up.
Dean_The_Great
If you've done projects that are related to the job to which you're applying, don't be afraid to talk about them seriously, without downplaying them.

What you DON'T mention:

-That what you've done is not important
-That you've never really worked in the industry
-That you have no experience

What you DO mention

-That you've learned a lot through education
-That you're eager to learn more
-That what you've done is quite remarkable
-That you have the skills required to do the job

Now, that being said, always answer the questions truthfully. Don't make up experience you don't have... 'cause they'll find out, either through checking your references, or by your lack of knowledge.

Employers like people they can work with, who will work happily and are willing to do extra work to ensure great product.
Vrythramax
chewbaccaskoot wrote:
i am 100% honest thats why im making 6 figures Razz


Shocked If your making 6 figures you should have your own dedicated server....not looking for free hosting.

Honesty is the best policy.
m00tmuffin
Always, honesty is the best policy...hands down. They'll find out one way another. Perhaps your boss may never know directly, but you'll most likely find that you soon become the butt of many jokes made by your coworkers, which could be an even worse fate. Razz
chasbeen
I was an IT contactor in the UK from 1994 - 2001. In my interviews they did not ask you questions on what you have done but they asked technical questions that you would HAVE TO KNOW the answer to if you ACTUALLY HAD THE EXPERIENCE.
As an IT contractor one measure of my success was being selected as one of four from 40 interviewed.
If you are going to a company and saying "HEY I CAN HELP YOU - HIRE ME" and they are paying $7000 / for 3500 pounds for 35 hours of work then they have pretty sophisticated methods to determine if you'd be much use to them.
I recommend you start aiming for a permanent job first using your new found software skill and then leave after delivering the goods for them. Very Happy
D'Artagnan
No, absolutelly you shouldn't lie...

the answer is simple, if you're really smart you wouldn't lie, you'll try to minimize you 'weakness' and miximize the strong points that make you a good choice...

another good reason is that if u lie about something that you'll use daily , probably you'll got mad in the first month....
noise17
Tell the truth. If you are interviewing with a true IT professional they will be able to tell whether or not you have the experience you claim. It is not too difficult to tell when someone is trying to fake it. You may get past an interview with an HR person, but undoubtedly you will be weeded out by further interviews.

All IT positions are different, so just demostrate the fact that you have the ability to learn (got a degree), and that you are able to are able to use the items you learned.
kerryworkman
Vrythramax wrote:
chewbaccaskoot wrote:
i am 100% honest thats why im making 6 figures Razz


Shocked If your making 6 figures you should have your own dedicated server....not looking for free hosting.

Honesty is the best policy.


Hahahahahaha, I read that above and didn't really think about it, you have a good point: 100% honest???? 6 figures\free site that requires regualr posts. It can't possibly be worth your time to type all these posts verses just paying the $. I hate to say it, because I appreciate frihost and their service, but if I wasn't broke, I would just shell out the cash. I work way to much to spend the time this takes to keep up with these posts sometimes.
kerryworkman
As for the whole job thing, just know your s***, be as prepaired for the interview as you can, and hope you don't have to stretch the truth. As for an outright lie, be really careful if you get caught it could cost you the job you just worked so hard to get, and you may not have even needed to lie in the first place. Also, if you do get caught you can't tell your next job you just got fired for lying on the interview. So there goes that work experience and you are back to square one ... lying to get another job. It's just not worth the risk. Good Luck! Smile
ratfungus
hunterm wrote:
How honest are you in job interviews?

I'm an IT contractor and about to complete a course in a new technology. Problem is that I won't have any experience in it. Should I blag (lie) in my interviews saying I've got the experience or should I tell the truth.

What would you do?


From my experience every employer will lie to you. You may not have experience but if you're confident enough in your knowledge - then lie. If you're not confident in your knowledge - then telling the truth means you won't get the job. I'm assuming (from the word blag) that your from the UK. The UK has the worst employment rights in the whole of Europe and I have taken jobs many times based on what employers have told me - and they've all lied. I start a new job on Monday as a matter of fact. The employer told me at interview (because I specifically asked) that it was an expanding, profitable forward thinking company. In fact in the last 5 years they have had 2 rounds of redundancies, made loses 3 out of those 5 years and profit of less than point one of a percent (i.e. less than £1 for every £1,000 of turnover). They lied about promotion prospect (again which I specifically asked about before taking the job). It transpires that no one has ever been promoted out of the position I was in. I did apply for a couple of positions. Both were advertised as internal positions. The first one was in the IT department (I have a degree in computing). I heard the department head (standing in from of my desk) discussing the external candidate who had already got the job before they had even acknowledged my appliaction. Applied for a promotion in the sales department (where I worked until Friday past). Put my resignation in on a Friday and the following Monday would have been 7 weeks since the deadline for the sales promotion job. Also advertised as internal. They started interviewing external candidates and in the 7 weeks I heard nothing. The good think about advice is you can take it or leave it. My advice is lie if you have the knowledge - they will certainly lie to you.
kerryworkman
hunterm wrote:

From my experience every employer will lie to you.


I can't say that every job I have had in my life, which is quite a few, has lied to me, but a whole lot of them sure have. I have been lied to about wages, promotion opportunities, job descriptions, benefits, you name it ... I do agree that sometimes it is necessary, just to even the playing field, and to be honest I don't know how things work in England as far as worker rights, but you still have to be careful and make sure that you have the knowledge to back your lie up. Otherwise what's the point?? You will never be able to hold the job long enough to benefit from it.
ratfungus
kerryworkman wrote:
hunterm wrote:

From my experience every employer will lie to you.


I can't say that every job I have had in my life, which is quite a few, has lied to me, but a whole lot of them sure have. I have been lied to about wages, promotion opportunities, job descriptions, benefits, you name it ... I do agree that sometimes it is necessary, just to even the playing field, and to be honest I don't know how things work in England as far as worker rights, but you still have to be careful and make sure that you have the knowledge to back your lie up. Otherwise what's the point?? You will never be able to hold the job long enough to benefit from it.


Hi kerryworkman. I'm from Scotland (not England) and I was just pissed off at having to move jobs yet again. Not every employer has lied about everything - but I can't think of one that has told the whole truth and most have downright told lies. Here in Scotland (and the rest of the UK), you can be sacked for any reason in the first year of employment without any reason at all - and you have no legal recourse (one or two exceptions - one being if you're dismissed for trade union activity). And the 1 year is an improvement - it used to be 2 years. My friend was sacked for trying to organise a trade union. Typical law - as he was not actually in the union yet (he was just trying to organise it) in law it was not, therefore, trade union activity and he had no recourse in law. And to clarify for anyone who reads my post, I am not advocating lying for the sake of lying - or even lying at all. If you have the skills to do the job - embellish your experience a bit, and be realistic about what employers tell you. I asked specific questions and was given specific lies in answer. As we have a new governement in Scotland, I am going to write to the First Minister and suggest some policies. One being that job interviews are recorded on DVD (for companies over a certain size) with a copy being retained by the employer and a copy given to the new employee (ie you only get a copy if you're employed). The cost of equipment now is not onerous and the 1 year dismissal period - without any recourse to law - would be waived, where the employer has lied (the employer would also have recourse if the employee has lied (in some substantive way) during their interview(s)). I don't think this will happen as employers, as a matter of course, lie to employees about major parts of their job, or the conditions, or the pay, or the holidays etc. It's just too prevalent - but I can live in hope. We also have the second longest work hours in the developed world (I believe your country, the USA, have the longest). But many employers here - coupled with the very long hours - don't pay well, make employees work overtime without pay, and you often don't get the breaks you're entitled to by law. A report on the radio yesterday stated that stress due to workload and bullying is at epidemic level in the UK. And if you complain - guess what will happen? I have worked with people who are almost terrified to say anything in case they're sacked on the spot. Many of you from the UK reading this (if you work for the public sector for example) won't recognise many of these practices - but I guarantee many, many, many people will. A major cause of stress for public sector workers in bullying. It makes me livid what employers get away with and what they allow bullying employees to get away with. These employers and these bullies drive some people to suicide and breakdowns - it's a lot more common that people think.
kerryworkman
hunterm wrote:
Hi kerryworkman. I'm from Scotland (not England)


Sorry about the mix up on where you are from, my mistake.

There are still some states here in the U.S. that are "right to work states", and have alot of the same rules and from the sounds of it the same problems. Giving too much control/freedom to the employers to do as they choose in reguards to their employee's is never a good situation. Here in California where I am living now, it is actually quite the opposite. It is very hard to fire someone once they are working for you(lying on App = auto grounds for dismissal however). If managers/Owners don't document and follow all established steps to properly terminate employment they are very likely to have a lawsuit on their hands (especially here in sue happy CA). Which can be good, but has some draw backs as well, as I am sure you can imagine (i.e. being stuck with the guy who is always, annoying everyone, and dosen't carry his share of the workload). To be honest I don't think anything is black & white, there is always some grey area to work with, especially, when it comes to making your self look as good as possible for an interview. I would just advise not commiting any of your lies to paper where there is a record of it. I think we both have basically the same opinion = if you can do the job you can, weather you have to bend the truth to get in there or not.
jenice
Honesty is relative when I'm in a job interview. I tell the truth, though I may be only telling one side of it.

Like when I applied for a job because of the amount they were offering per month. I certainly didn't tell the employer that. I did however tell him what first interested me in the job aside from the pay. What about the job interested me enough that I thought I could do it. It was the truth, but not entirely.
biljap
I tell the truth because they can very easily check my knowledge if they ask me few questions. But that certainly doesn’t mean that I would say absolutely everything. There are some things that they don’t need to know but if it was something that is important for the job I would always say the truth. What’s the point of lying if they see me work badly and get fired quickly?
Afaceinthematrix
I would not lie, because if you do not have experience and you say that you do, it will probably show when you get on the job anyways. What you should do is try to make your weaknesses sound as good as possible. You can say that you may not have a lot of experience but that you are a quick learner who will pick the work up quickly, that you are a hard worker who will stop at nothing to learn the stuff, that you are problem solver, etc.
bangala
hunterm wrote:
How honest are you in job interviews?

I'm an IT contractor and about to complete a course in a new technology. Problem is that I won't have any experience in it. Should I blag (lie) in my interviews saying I've got the experience or should I tell the truth.

What would you do?


Be honest and talk about the actual YOU !
Related topics
A new movie....Harry Potter 4...
SMU: sigs for sale
Salman khan case whole report
"terrorist" my thoughts
Troops use 250,000 bullets for every insurgent killed
Unlocking the mystery of life
Linux HD Install
i know im a complete noob...
xbox 360 the big picture
CIA leak grand jury may hear charges Wednesday
Interview Tips: Handling Difficult Question
Interview Tips: Thriving on Phone Interviews
Honesty doesn't pay...
Honesty & Cynicism
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Jobs and Learning

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.