FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Add/Remove programs: how do I get things off the list?

Dwyer17
Some programs on my add/remove programs list are already uninstalled or deleted, but they still sit on the list and cannot be removed. How do I get those items off the list? Thanks.
MrBlueSky
By hand: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481/en-us
Programs: http://www.vicman.net/lib/add-remove-list.htm
Kelvin
Hey thanks a lot MrBlueSky. I've been looking for a way to get rid of that Add/Remove program for a long time and i finally find something that works great. Once again thank you Wink

I've written it down in my 'troubleshooting' book. Smile
Bones
For future reference, I also like to use this MS utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

Although it will only work on programs that use the Windows installer to install. Anything that uses say Installshield won't be removed with that util.
Dwyer17
Thanks! That helps!
JJGY
There's also a program called Ccleaner. Aside from being a damn good temp file cleaner, it also lets you remove the registry entries that put things on the program list. It's really simple to use as well. It also includes a basic registry cleaner and a startup program editor.
HollyChris
JJGY wrote:
There's also a program called Ccleaner. Aside from being a damn good temp file cleaner, it also lets you remove the registry entries that put things on the program list. It's really simple to use as well. It also includes a basic registry cleaner and a startup program editor.

I've used this as well I recomend it.
MeddlingMonk
Quote:

CCleaner is excellent - I have also used this and recommend it. Another program that can remove registry entries is Regcleaner. It allows you to search for invalid registry entries (just like CCleaner) as well as delete registry entries (such as program installation entries, file types, etc.).
Kelvin
This one is off the topic but does anyone know of any manual registry modifications that can remove the taskbar icons on the bottom right of the desktop as well? I am trying to keep some startup application icons from appearing in the tray completely after running. Don't ask me to use the standard windows hide function as that is easily revealed by clicking on the expand button. Thanks.
ThePolemistis
MeddlingMonk wrote:
Quote:

CCleaner is excellent - I have also used this and recommend it. Another program that can remove registry entries is Regcleaner. It allows you to search for invalid registry entries (just like CCleaner) as well as delete registry entries (such as program installation entries, file types, etc.).

RegHealer is what I would recommend to clean ur registry

Kelvin wrote:
This one is off the topic but does anyone know of any manual registry modifications that can remove the taskbar icons on the bottom right of the desktop as well? I am trying to keep some startup application icons from appearing in the tray completely after running. Don't ask me to use the standard windows hide function as that is easily revealed by clicking on the expand button. Thanks.

Try SysTrayX.
bulek
Try installing a program which cleans up computer and also it's registry files. I recommend you TuneUp Utilities 2007, Advance system optimizer or System mechanic. I personally use Tuneup Utilities 2007 and it is great program. It really makes your computer to run faster.