FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Huge Decisions.

Wynand
Huge Decisions.

I have to make a huge decision about my future and do not know what way to go. Maybe you can help me.

I live in a small city called Bloemfontein in South Africa. I am now busy with my last year of university here in Bloemfontein. I got a job in Johannesburg - A far away large city with lots of crime, murder, high jackings and corruption but also a lot of money and opportunities.

The thing is that I do not know if I should go to Johannesburg of stay here in Bloemfontein and just earn an average salary. My parents also wants me to stay because they say they will miss me too much

If I go to Johannesburg I have to go and work there for 3 years.

How did you made such huge decisions?
Duncan Idaho
I'd stay whereever thoughs closer to you say where you should stay. I have no idea why you'd ask online, but I would tell you that depending on if you want money or not. But then again the city might move to you, so moving to the city might be better. But then again, I really don't know. Go with what your family tells you.
darvit
Hey it's cool that you live there... Bloemfontein is where JRR Tolkien was born! Cool

But seriously though, the first important question you have to ask yourself is What do I want?

Do you want to move to a new city?

What are your priorities? Family? Money? Independence? Adventure?

Would it be possible to create a win-win situation [e.g. You make it a point to visit your parents every few weeks or so, etc.]?

Answer these questions first and hopefully, you would be able to make your decision.

Personally, I haven't answered those questions myself. Sad

Best wishes! Wink
Duncan Idaho
I do agree on the first part, about JRR Tolkien. But, I hope you do find luck, wisdom, skill, and anything else you want whichever you decide on.
Vrythramax
Duncan Idaho wrote:
I do agree on the first part, about JRR Tolkien. But, I hope you do find luck, wisdom, skill, and anything else you want whichever you decide on.

Oh Please, is that ANY help or inciteful input? Brick wall

Back to original topic...

Your parents may miss you and you may miss them, but at some point you must leave the shelter of the "home" nest to engulf what life has in store for you.

It's called growing up and moving out. All parents know it will happen, shouldn't the realization of such be a factor in your life as well?

You must do whatever is best to make your life the best it can be. I'm sure your parents want nothing less for you.
HoboPelican
I think you just have to figure out what you want out of life. Money is a valid answer, but so is lifestyle. Three years in Johannesburg might seem like a long time, but it isn't really that long and would give you a different perspective. After that, you would be in a much better situation to decide what you want to do.

I was also wondering, what is your degree in? Are there other options? Maybe something in a slightly smaller city? And don't forget to factor in the cost of living in Johannesburg. I'm sure it is higher than where you life now.
tijn01
The most important thing is to make a decision for yourself, what you want...
And to remember that money, a big job etc aren't going to make you happy....
jongoldsz
Money doesn't buy happiness. Stay where you are and live a happy life. ^^
Nyizsa
I say go. If you don't like it, you can always return to your family. But if you stay, after a few years you may regret the missed opportunity. And then again, it's completely up to you.
iNs@nE
If you ask me..it totally depends on you..

You wanna make it big..? Then going to a big place is the first step...coz there is an old saying - to be the man..you gotta beat the man.
and all the big fish are out there and no where you are currently..

but if you wanna lead the average joe life with a loving wife and a simple job and pass-away unrecognized...stay where you are..

both have their own advantages and disadvantages...you make the move nad life leads you through it...
NuniPio
weigh out the pros and cons of both situations, do a bit more research on Johannesburg, is it really that violent?
chasbeen
I'm with the guys who say go for it! I used to live in the UK and wanted a change. I dragged my family to Canada and have not regretted it.

It's not for everyone though. My brother has worked in the same job all his life. Never been keen on adventure.

I've got to have it otherwise I will go nuts Exclamation
PatTheGreat42
I like to leave my life up to chance a lot. I like to just set out and see where things take me. The less I take with me when I do this the better; if I'm too prepared things might turn out well.

As such, when I have to make a big decision I can't decide on, I use the best and greatest method I know.

I flip a coin.

I break out a quarter and assign one decision to heads up, and one decision to tails up. I flip that sucker.

Best part about this method is it lets me know what I really want to do. If I flip the coin and disagree with the results, I just do the other thing. That way I always do what I really want to do.

Flip a coin, dude. Then do whatever the heck you want.
R2.DETARD
Get Married.
You won't ever have, no... get to make another major decision again.
simplyw00x
3 years isn't a long time, and Joburg isn't *that* far from Bloemfontein. I say give it a shot, because you might not have an opportunity again, and you can always go back if you don't like it. Joburg's crime isn't too bad if you don't take needless risks and aren't ostentatious with your wealth.

It's your decision, and to answer 'how can I make it?', you have to try and predict what'll happen if you do both, and what you'll miss out. That's my 2 rand (probably worth 2 cents as it's going...)
standready
HoboPelican wrote:
I think you just have to figure out what you want out of life. Money is a valid answer, but so is lifestyle. Three years in Johannesburg might seem like a long time, but it isn't really that long and would give you a different perspective. After that, you would be in a much better situation to decide what you want to do.

I was also wondering, what is your degree in? Are there other options? Maybe something in a slightly smaller city? And don't forget to factor in the cost of living in Johannesburg. I'm sure it is higher than where you life now.

Well said!
Wynand - You make it sound like a risk/reward question. You sound frighten of change (being out of your comfort zone). Is all of Johannesburg that dangerous? I don't think this is your only option anyway. As HoboPelican pointed out, there are other places. Look around, it is a big world out there. Good luck!
Soulfire
If I were in your shoes, I would take the job, being sure to visit my parents as frequently as possible. In the end, it's whatever your priorities are. Does money outweigh family? Are 3 years too long in your opinion? Etc.
skygaia
Well.. I think three years are not long time for your life. So I suggest you to go there and work. Experience is very important to your career. Even though life in a big city might be terrible, after 3 years you can get some good experience. However your life is yours so it's up to you
glenn83e
Wynand wrote:
Huge Decisions.

I have to make a huge decision about my future and do not know what way to go. Maybe you can help me.

I live in a small city called Bloemfontein in South Africa. I am now busy with my last year of university here in Bloemfontein. I got a job in Johannesburg - A far away large city with lots of crime, murder, high jackings and corruption but also a lot of money and opportunities.

The thing is that I do not know if I should go to Johannesburg of stay here in Bloemfontein and just earn an average salary. My parents also wants me to stay because they say they will miss me too much

If I go to Johannesburg I have to go and work there for 3 years.

How did you made such huge decisions?

don't think about the negitive, think about the positive. all city's have crime and coruption. I moved away from my home province 2 years ago and it was the best decision I could ever make. I made a bunch of great friends, now have a wonderfull home with 2 cats and a hampster.

Also have my wonderful fiance.

So it isn't always a bad thing... you could have the time of your life when you go... Just give it a shot. Never hurts to try. and again you never know unless you try