FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

frequent scanni9ng of pen drive

akshar
Friends i have a pendrive (1gb) which i use to transfer data from college to my home but in my college there are many malwares and scripts so i need to scan my pen drive every day.Can this scanning effect my pen drive?
SonLight
No, I would have no concerns about scanning it once per day. I don't know the design specs on memory sticks, but the only one that's likely to be critical is the number of read/write cycles to flash ram. That is sure to be in the thousands, and your scan should only add one to the count. Of the media available today, the CD RW limit is the only one I know of that you probably need to think about before you decide to use them.
Arno v. Lumig
SonLight wrote:
No, I would have no concerns about scanning it once per day. I don't know the design specs on memory sticks, but the only one that's likely to be critical is the number of read/write cycles to flash ram. That is sure to be in the thousands, and your scan should only add one to the count. Of the media available today, the CD RW limit is the only one I know of that you probably need to think about before you decide to use them.

A virus scanner will read all of the files, not just one.
azhad
Hi Akshar,

Scanning your pen drive once a day is ok. It won't cause much wear.

The wear is caused by frequent erases and writes. So as long as you don't run an Operating System like Linux or Windows with a swap file on a flash chip, you should be ok. Smile Even doing that, each sector can be erased over 1 million times - which is a lot.

This has much to do with how data is written onto the flash memory. For more details you may want to refer to the Wikipedia page on Flash memory.
fadirocks
if you have proper protection on your system there is no need for scanning in the first place!