FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sydney Harbour Bridge 75th Anniversary

Ennex
For some of you who don't know what the Sydney Harbour Bridge is.....which i find hard to believe considering its the fourth largest bridge built in the world

Wikipedia
Quote:
The Sydney Harbour Bridge is the main crossing of Sydney Harbour carrying rail, vehicular, and pedestrian traffic between the Sydney central business district (CBD) and the North Shore. The dramatic water vista of the bridge together with the nearby Sydney Opera House is an iconic image of both Sydney and Australia. The bridge is colloquially referred to as the Coathanger[1] because of its arch-based design, although this usage is less prevalent than it once was. The iconic bridge celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2007. The several major roads were closed for the day, so that tens of thousands of people could walk along the bridge from North Sydney to the Sydney CBD.

The bridge was the city's tallest structure until 1967. According to Guinness World Records, it is the widest long-span bridge in the world and is the largest steel arch bridge with the top of the bridge standing 134 metres above the harbour.

Its the 75th anniversary of the bridge 19th of March, which if you cant believe it is TOMORROW, Monday the 19th which is probably late friday night to Americans and European countries

Theres a big ceremony on so for you Aussies out there do not miss out, im assuming its on channel 9 or possibly a few other channels Smile
crdowner
Let me start my admiting my lack of knowledge about the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Did the bridge designers actually design/build such a large bridge 75 years ago or has it been "modified" over the years to accommodate more traffic?
bigdan
Indeed they did, after a lot of consideration. And indeed it has been modified:
Quote:

In 1958, tram services across the bridge were withdrawn and the tracks they had used were removed and replaced by two extra road lanes; these lanes are now the leftmost southbound lanes on the bridge and are still clearly distinguishable from the other six road lanes. The original ramp that took the trams into their terminus in the underground Wynyard railway station is still visible at the southern end of the main walkway under lanes 7 and 8 although the tunnels have been sealed off. Lanes 7 and 8 now connect the bridge to the elevated Cahill Expressway that carries traffic to the Eastern Distributor. The Bridge originally only had four wider traffic lanes occupying the central space which now has six, as photos taken soon after the opening clearly show. The width of the lanes now is so small that buses passing each other in adjacent lanes do so a few inches apart.

In 1988, work began to build a tunnel to complement the bridge. It was determined that the bridge could no longer support the increased traffic flow of the 1980s. The Sydney Harbour Tunnel was completed in August 1992. It is intended only for use by motor vehicles. Before it was officially opened for use, the tunnel was made open for pedestrian access, with persons on that day able to walk down the tunnel's roadway.

In 2006, the first complete repainting for many years commenced. A reason for the decision was the concern that weight of the many layers of paint acquired over the years might be having a destructive effect on the bridge's structure. Because of the previous regime of continuous maintenance painting with lead-based paint, precautions had to be taken to prevent falling paint from contaminating the harbour. This required that each section being painted be sealed off and blasted to remove old paint, then extracted by vacuum.

Security on the bridge has been introduced, due to the heightened risk of terrorist attack.
LostOverThere
I'm an Australian, and I can't honestly say what all the fuss is about, it's a bridge for god sake!
j_f_k
And here's another interesting piece of trivia regarding the 'coathanger' is that in the 60's and early 70's a certain Paul Hogan, now better known as 'crocodile dundee' had the job of painting the bridge before he got a break on a talent show that launched him into performance.
Ennex
LostOverThere wrote:
I'm an Australian, and I can't honestly say what all the fuss is about, it's a bridge for god sake!

lol bit of heritage never hurt anyone.....

plus Australians need something because theres not that much in the country

like France has the Eiffel Tower

America the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty

England has a bunch of things that escape me

the list gets longer and longer hence why everybody makes a big fuss over the bridge
reddishblue
Meh, as a Melbournian I have to hate Sydney (its in the constitution) so I say, "Stuff the stupid bridge" Cool
starfish2007
waw I never knew there was such a large andold Bridge around...
Ennex
reddishblue wrote:
Meh, as a Melbournian I have to hate Sydney (its in the constitution) so I say, "Stuff the stupid bridge" Cool

lol you've got a point there, we can say the same for you as well hehe. Razz
Ennex
Yeah it's true...nobody really likes the Melbournians in Sydney...let alone the outer suburbs (good old Wollongong). But what's in Melbourne anyway lol?....you have coffee shops...an airport....houses...a few shopping centers...a couple tall buildings...opposed to Sydney which has class and character, it has a feeling, and most people when they say Australia think of Crocodiles...Steve Irwin...and a bunch of larakins....and Sydney, all those are completely pointless except for Sydney. And for you Americans and other people on this forum...Australia is not just crocodiles, a bunch of weird undeveloped people. We're actually quite classy and you'd be surprised that we have a fair group of intelligent people.

But back to the point...we have a big bridge...(and Melbourne doesnt...well it does but ours is better).
teatrodenieve
I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne (UK) and we have a bridge that is EXACTLY the same than yours. Youst check a couple of photos

check this link

http://images.google.es/images?sourceid=navclient&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-03,GGLD:es&q=tyne%20bridge&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

or look for TYNE BRIDGE in Wikipedia

Tyne Bridge
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Tyne Bridge

Tyne Bridge looking east towards the modern The Sage Gateshead and the Gateshead Millennium Bridge, with the earlier Swing Bridge in the foreground
Carries Motor vehicle
A167 road
Pedestrians
Crosses River Tyne
Locale Newcastle/Gateshead, England
Design compression arch suspended-deck bridge
Longest span 161.8m
Total length 389m
Width 17m
Clearance below 26m
Beginning date of construction August 1925
Completion date 1928-02-25
Opening date 1928-10-10
For the Parliamentary Constituency see Tyne Bridge (UK Parliament constituency)
The Tyne Bridge is a bridge over the River Tyne in North East England, linking Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead. It was designed by the engineering firm Mott, Hay and Anderson, who later designed the Forth Road Bridge, and was built by Dorman Long and Co. of Middlesbrough. It was officially opened on 10 October 1928 by King George V. It is a fine example of a Compression arch suspended-deck bridge.

The Tyne Bridge is also the name of a parliamentary constituency that covers areas of central Newcastle and central Gateshead.

Actually, I have just seen in Wikipedia the link between both of the bridges

Quote:

The Tyne Bridge was designed by Mott, Hay and Anderson who based their design on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, which in turn derived its design from the Hell Gate Bridge in New York. During construction, before the road deck had been installed, the costermongers of Newcastle wrote to the Lord Mayor to express their concern that their horses would not be able to cross as the arch was too steep.

The bridge was completed on 25 February 1928 and opened on 10 October by King George V and Queen Mary, who were the first to use the roadway travelling in their Ascot landau. The Tyne Bridge's towers were built of Cornish granite and were designed as warehouses with five storeys. However, the inner floors of the warehouses in the bridge's towers were not completed and, as a result, the storage areas were never used. Lifts for passengers and goods were built in the towers to provide access to the Quayside, but these are no longer in use. The bridge was originally painted green with special paint made by J. Dampney Co. of Gateshead. The same colours were used to paint the bridge for the year 2000 . The bridge spans 531 feet and the road deck is 84 feet above the river level.