FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reading Non-Fiction/Histories/Biographies

HDirtwater
Is it just me, or are most (well-written) non-fiction books more interesting to read than most of the the ridiculous tripe passing for novels these days? It just seems to me that every time I read another history book, I think to myself "a good author can't MAKE this stuff up!"

I haven't read a good fiction novel in years, yet I'm engrossed in most every history book I read.
knightandre
I find this true in some cases, but some people do an excellent job of making the most interesting topics dry.
jenice
HDirtwater wrote:
Is it just me, or are most (well-written) non-fiction books more interesting to read than most of the the ridiculous tripe passing for novels these days? It just seems to me that every time I read another history book, I think to myself "a good author can't MAKE this stuff up!"

I haven't read a good fiction novel in years, yet I'm engrossed in most every history book I read.

I never used to think so, but I'm getting to appreciate them more as of late. I'm far more interested in learning about history than with something made up. The stories tend to come across more true to experience.

I don't mind the other types of novels though. Oddly enough though I tend to bypass the hype stuff and go for the independently published items. I've always been a sucker for a good mystery, horror, suspense, fantasy, or science fiction novel.
corridor_writers
I would agree that how the book is written and presented is by far the most important thing regarding how a historical book was written.

For the perfect example I would submit the book “Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae” written by Steven Pressfield. This historical novel is very accurate historically, except perhaps for the main character, a squire to the Spartans who can tell their story from an outside perspective. This is a brilliantly written book which I would recommend to anybody.

On that note….I think I am going to go start a thread on Greek History. Smile