FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Technology Good or Bad?

Is Technology....
Good.
42%
 42%  [ 41 ]
Bad.
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
I think it has an upside but also a downside.
54%
 54%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 96

Holy
I just wanted to make a topic for people to share their views on the technology we gain throughout history. Do you think our gaining more technology is bad or do you think that the more technology we have the better we're off?

I'm, personally, stuck between the two (although I'm more on the "technology is bad" side). With the more technology we gain the more we will drive ourselves mad with greed, pride, envy, and all of the other 7 deadly sins. Someone who finds a medical treatment that can cure cancer will become greedy, and overcharge people just to save their lives. Kind of like doctors now a days. They overcharge people for medical treatments that the patient needs in order to survive. And people who become power crazed and want to take over the world with weapons of mass destruction.

I think the world should be where everyone is helping each other to survive. Everyone helping out with whatever it is that they do best. Not charging people for their services, but knowing that the person will repay them with whatever there "best" ability (or talent) is in need. It's hard to see all of the poverty, death, starvation, and war. If the world could just overcome all of this and live together as civilized people I think we would be better off. But how could any of us change the world? We are just one, single person on this Earth. I think technology is somewhat to blaim for these things.

But as I said, I'm also for technology. We have found medician that can cure a lot of illnesses. We are able to explore the unknown. We have faster transportation to get around with.

Please share your views with me on this matter. I really want to hear other people's opinions. Put down anything that you want to say.
Disaster-Pieces
In my opinion Technology is a great thing i wouldnt be anywhere without it
Jinx
I think that technology in and of itself is neither good nor bad. It all depends on what's done with it.

A screwdriver can be used to put together a bicycle for a child, or it can be used to build a pipe bomb. The screwdriver itself isn't good or bad.
Holy
Wow. Shocked
I would have never thought of it that way. Great input so far guys and gals. Very Happy
Alex Is Mental
I'm more pushing to liking it.

Pros of technology

Electronics.
I am used to it.

Cons of technology

More painful suffering (nuclear bombs).
We know all the countries so it will lead to issues then war.

So without it, there would be less painful suffering but less stuff to do (e.g. you can do anything they did then, now).
Fright Knight
technology is made by applying science into action in order to ease our life. so the purpose is good. But if there is a good thing, there is always a bad one. it's just a matter of balancing it.
rheanna
They had Cellular Technology but never used it, Government confiscated it. NikolaTesla started this well into the beginning of the 19th Century.

Quote:

Tesla died of heart failure alone in the New Yorker Hotel, some time between the evening of January 5 and the morning of January 8, 1943, at the age of 86. Despite selling his AC electricity patents, Tesla was essentially destitute and died with significant debts. Later that year the US Supreme Court upheld Tesla's patent number U.S. Patent 645,576 in effect recognizing him as the inventor of radio.

Immediately after Tesla's death became known, the Federal Bureau of Investigation instructed the government's Alien Property Custodian office to take possession of his papers and property, despite his US citizenship. His safe at the hotel was also opened. At the time of his death, Tesla had been continuing work on the teleforce weapon, or death ray, that he had unsuccessfully marketed to the US War Department. It appears that his proposed death ray was related to his research into ball lightning and plasma and was composed of a particle beam weapon. The US government did not find a prototype of the device in the safe. After the FBI was contacted by the War Department, his papers were declared to be top secret. The so-called "peace ray" constitutes a part of some conspiracy theories as a means of destruction. The personal effects were seized on the advice of presidential advisors, and J. Edgar Hoover declared the case "most secret", because of the nature of Tesla's inventions and patents.[59] One document states that "[he] is reported to have some 80 trunks in different places containing transcripts and plans having to do with his experiments [...]". Charlotte Muzar reported that there were several "missing" papers and property.[60]

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/9654/tesla/projecttesla.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=645,576

Noika come to mind??

Found it ;o)
Cibes
I think there is bad technology, like all kinds of weapons, but most technology is a good thing. Where would we be without technology? This is the point that seperates us from animals, we are intelligent ( at least some times Wink ) and can built "tools".
Holy wrote:
I think the world should be where everyone is helping each other to survive. Everyone helping out with whatever it is that they do best. Not charging people for their services, but knowing that the person will repay them with whatever there "best" ability (or talent) is in need.

This idea is great in theory, and I'd love to see everyone living like that. But people are selfish and most people won't work in a society like that.
SonLight
Your comparison of the benefits of technology versus the evils of technology remind me of the unabomber's manifesto, which was an argument that nearly all technology should be eliminated. Here is a summary and commentary on his thesis, by a person sympathetic to many of his views:

http://www.eff.org/Censorship/Terrorism_militias/sale_unabomber.analysis
Quote:

"Industrial-technological society" has succeeded to the point where,
because of its size and complexity, it has constricted human freedom,
meaning one's power to "control the circumstances of one's own life."
Such freedoms as we do have are those permitted by the system
consistent with its own ends--economic freedom to consume, press
freedom to expose inefficiency and corruption--and do not in fact give
individuals or groups true power, in the same sense that they have
control over satisfying "life-and-death issues of one's existence:
food, clothing, shelter and defense." "Today people live more by
virtue of what the system does FOR them or TO them than by virtue of
what they do for themselves.... Modern man is strapped down by a
network of rules and regulations, and his fate depends on the actions
of persons remote from him whose decisions he cannot influence."

Industrial society must perform this way in order to succeed--"The
system has to regulate human behavior closely in order to
function"--and cannot be reformed to work differently. "Changes large
enough to make a lasting difference in favor of freedom would not be
initiated because it would be realized that they would gravely disrupt
the system."

Industrial society must increasingly work to constrict freedom and
control behavior since "technology advances with great rapidity" and
on many fronts: "crowding, rules and regulations, increasing
dependence of individuals on large organizations, propaganda and other
psychological techniques, genetic engineering, invasion of privacy
through surveillance devices and computers, etc." (3)

The full text of the unabomber's manifesto can be found at:

http://fringe.davesource.com/Fringe/Politics/Unabombers_Manifesto

My own feeling is that technology does not make a large change in the nature of human existance over the long run. Many of the issues we see with technoloogical and social change today occur because change is so rapid. Traditionally, parents tried to prepare their children to live in the world in which they had grown up. Today, we have a very limited idea of what the world will be like in even ten years.
bassman
I agree with some of the other posters--there's no such thing as good or bad technology, it's all in how you use it. For a great example, look at nuclear energy--big payoff when used for power, etc. but horrific when used for a bomb.

I think technology also gives us an increased sense of independence, which can also either be bad or good, but seems to often bring arrogance and even more selfishness than we otherwise would have.
Holy
Yes. Technoloy I guess can also mark your place on Earth. Like how much power your country holds. Sad
{name here}
The one downside to technology is it stupidifies the general population. Few actually are able to harness it for what it can truely do.
xanarulz
I feel technology is good, most of the weapons that were used as weapons were not initially designed for that. Most of the time sick people who want to cause ppl harm tweak inventions to devistate harm to humanity.
Azmo
Technology is great, it's just used in the wrong way in some situations.. and I wont say that nuclear bombs are a bad thing either, well ofc they are bad using them against other countries.. but assume that we someday will be attacked by some aliens or something, (not likley but still not impossible) they might come in handy, as defence.. Point is that it's good that we have that technology so we can take it one step further all the time.. develop it.. for defence..

About the rest of technology, still depens on how it's used.. computers, internet, electricity.. great.. for 99% of the world.. but computers are very easy to hack in to banks etc.. I've been in every swedish bank just cause it's fun.. never touched anything tho.. just tried to see if I got in.. and security sux.. so easy to steal and trick people.. and electricity.. hm all good except for the electric char and that we are so in need of it.. if we have a power breakdown people are stuck.. we can't cook, we cant see after dark, we cant keep our houses warm etc.. but still technology have done great things for us.. and we should keep develop it, new solutions, more knowledge.. and more saving the nature! Smile
Cibes
Azmo wrote:
Technology is great, it's just used in the wrong way in some situations.. and I wont say that nuclear bombs are a bad thing either, well ofc they are bad using them against other countries.. but assume that we someday will be attacked by some aliens or something, (not likley but still not impossible) they might come in handy, as defence.. Point is that it's good that we have that technology so we can take it one step further all the time.. develop it.. for defence..

I don't want to argue about the existence of aliens, but using nuclear weapons for defence against anyone seems pretty stupid, even if you can aim this huge destruction properly at the attacker - after the war you have made your own planet a deadly place to live on!
And why are all aliens evil soldiers, trying to kill us, ... ??? Confused
Holy
lol I highly doubt, if there really are aliens, that all of them are bad. And weapons are not the only thing bad out there. Viruses and other bad medical things could be used to destroy an enemy. And stuff like that. Shame on you
Sharpe
Technology makes life easier, no doubt about that. But I think we should also watch for technology taking over completely.

More technology = more things that can break down and cause chaos because we simply can't live without anymore. Cellphones/Internet are good examples. Who wouldn't have a bad day if either was not operating?

I'm studying to become an electrical engineer, so I love to see what progress we make. But I am also a bit skeptical.
We should always keep an eye on ourselves, where we really can use technology(space/mining/factorywork come to mind), and where we don't need all that technology.

I can do tons of stuff with technology, but I simply don't see the need to have technology around where I can do things myself.
springbok
Technology is good only when it makes life easier, i.e. electricity and the electrical goods that we use for example.

it is bad when it is used for destruction.

What I have failed to see mentioned is how technology has disturbed the natural balance of our planet. Cities and towns have replaced fields, meadows and marshes, factories, cars and homes pollute the air, rivers and seas. We rape the forrests for wood for paper, furnature and building supplies.

Technology in short can be seen as destructive when applied, medical research has lengthened life expectancy leading to a bigger, older population, requiring more natural resources to be used to produce more housing, electricity and petrol. More land has to be cleared to grow food to feed the growing population, which requires better farming methods and equipment. More natural resources are required in turn to build these impliments.

All this not mentioning global warming ...

I am leaning towards an opinion of technology being bad.
Coclus
Jinx wrote:
I think that technology in and of itself is neither good nor bad. It all depends on what's done with it.

A screwdriver can be used to put together a bicycle for a child, or it can be used to build a pipe bomb. The screwdriver itself isn't good or bad.

That's perfectly true... and it also puts all the responsibility on us humans.
dickyzin
I also think it is neither good nor bad.
I believe technology is inevitable and good or bad is determined by the intentions of the person using it.
HoChiMo
I guess there is very very technology that is bad by default, but people use it in a bad way (but that doesnt really chance the invention).
Whong
Technology is good, but in some aspects it is going way over!
Like cloning humans and animals is something that is absolutely terrible in my opinion. God created life and in his hands it is, humans are trying to take God's place but they will NEVER succed! Very HappyVery Happy Wink
nilsmo
Whether technology is good or bad may depend on your beliefs on why we live. But I think technology is good, because if we didn't have it we would be eating roots out of the ground all day trying to stay alive. Hunting tools = technology
LordHateSphere
Technology is good, because we all can do alot of things that 100 years ago, no one wud dreamt off...

but i also think its bad, u used to have honor in battle, fighting one on one, with swords or arrows w/e
now its just one guy who can kill an entire army if he has the right weapons...

technology is becomming to define our life, we can't live without it, that gives it power, if someone cud discover a bomb that cud destroy every piece of technology, earth wud be doomed...

so what i'm saying is, we're depending to much on technology...
tbsmicro
I am in two minds about this really. Technology is a good thing if it helps to improve the standard of living of those using it, but the users need to see the benefit, technolgy should not just be installed for installations sake.
There is an example of this in India, as part of a drive to bring internet and its benefits to all, a number of partnerships set up local learning centres where computers were connected wirelessly to the internet and were available to all the local villages. The very poor, never got to use these centres due to their having to work (mostly fishing) and their illiteracy. On questioned about why they do not use the centres, many had not even heard of them and those that had said that only the rich could benefit from them, for example those richer fishermen with their own boats could look up the weather forcasts and the location of shoals of fish. The poorer fishermen did not have the resource or technology to get to these often far out locations to benefit from this knowledge, so why bother getting it?
I think there is a fine line between technology being beneficial to the community and creating a wider gap between cultures.
Kev01234
I think technology has been great to have and I don't think it has a bad side.
However, I don't think people need technology to be happy. I think that many people believe that they need technology and can't live without it. The people of the past have been very happy without technology and therefore the people of the future can be happy with or without it.

kevin
medievalman26
Technology has greatly improved living conditions and life length. At the same time technologhy also demonstrated its' destructive force in the A and H Bombs, among other things such as biological weapons. Technology has the potential for great good or tremendous evil/ destrution.
roninmedia
Technology has vastly improve the quality of life for most people, but it has placed some deeper and deeper in debt and misery. Like any "technology" including as far back as fire and the wheel, it merely benefits the ones who understand it. I remember a study that stated the average cavemen worked less hours than forty hours a week to gather the resources to sustain life: shelter, food, clothing. Therefore, it shows people need technology to be happy or survive. However, many people believe that they need technology and can't live without it. The people of the past have been very happy without technology and therefore the people of the future can be happy with or without it.
j_f_k
As many people say its the way the technology is used not the technology itself.

Numerous examples : nuclear power vs nuclear weapons
cloning vs stem cell technology
email vs spam

The greatest thing about technology is that its exponential by nature as it feeds itself. As technology is introduced it saves peoples time, so they have more time and energy to come up with newer technology, building on the existing technology at a faster rate.

A good example is in software development and chip circuit production.
Shake
What person who can afford technology does not want it? Technology can OBVIOUSLY have both a good side and a bad side. Technology is interesting, and it creates jobs, but it is also a major reason to go to war, as it provides the possibility of foreign domination to other countries. In our age, technology also gives us the ability to spy on not only our enemies but also those in our own organization. Remember: someone is always watching you, no matter where you are/what you're doing.
zichlone
I believe technology is good and in the end will bring us to peace as it increases our knowledge the whole world may one day realize the futility behind fighting and that with every war we go one step forward and two steps back
luckrn
Aarghhh. I do not agree with Shake; the army employs obviously a maximum of advanced technology but when the money is not the engine of the technological development, the defense of the country in is another. This technology is not sold same manner, it is the difference which I see. Hmm?
starfish2007
well I do not think technology relly makes much a diference on how people act. I meen look into history there has aways bin gredie people and people that strided for power and that used power and information to take avantage of people who didnot know any better. but at the same time tthere has aways bin people that try to do good and that tryed touse technology to dogood. but I do not think technology is theproblem i think its the way people think theses days thats rong if people couldjust learn touse all this techonology for thegood of everyone and if we could put asid all of our diferences and just look at one an other as fellow humens. then every thing would be just fign.
billgertz
both have good and bad side. its up to the person using the technology. technology in general is a vast topic. just think of it this way, everything we have in this world is good not unless you use it the wrong way.

cheers to everyone.
starfish2007
well technology has avanced because of war the very first computer wasmad by ibm for the millatary to and was used to caluate how far there guns could and wepens could the next cuple computers were also built for war it was not intell muchlater that they even became avalable to everyone else
I Hate My User Name
Holy wrote:
I just wanted to make a topic for people to share their views on the technology we gain throughout history. Do you think our gaining more technology is bad or do you think that the more technology we have the better we're off?

I'm, personally, stuck between the two (although I'm more on the "technology is bad" side). With the more technology we gain the more we will drive ourselves mad with greed, pride, envy, and all of the other 7 deadly sins. Someone who finds a medical treatment that can cure cancer will become greedy, and overcharge people just to save their lives. Kind of like doctors now a days. They overcharge people for medical treatments that the patient needs in order to survive. And people who become power crazed and want to take over the world with weapons of mass destruction.

I think the world should be where everyone is helping each other to survive. Everyone helping out with whatever it is that they do best. Not charging people for their services, but knowing that the person will repay them with whatever there "best" ability (or talent) is in need. It's hard to see all of the poverty, death, starvation, and war. If the world could just overcome all of this and live together as civilized people I think we would be better off. But how could any of us change the world? We are just one, single person on this Earth. I think technology is somewhat to blaim for these things.

But as I said, I'm also for technology. We have found medician that can cure a lot of illnesses. We are able to explore the unknown. We have faster transportation to get around with.

Please share your views with me on this matter. I really want to hear other people's opinions. Put down anything that you want to say.

Very true. Technology has benefited medical innovations, transportation innovations, and many things that makes our lives much more enjoyable and easier. However, you also have the want and lust for things go up. Some people think if they can't afford something, they should go out and steal or kill for it, which causes crime rates to go up. Also, they want the technology to spread so they develop the land EVERYWHERE. This also has good sides and bad sides. And you could go on and on about them, but overall they're balancing each other out, with maybe a bit more on the bad side.
silviayguga
I´m studing the last course of Telecommunications's Engineering. I think that the technology is not indispensable, for what it is not necessary to do an improper use of it that harms to our planet.
But as engineer, I lean the technological development for the progress and the well-being of society.
takashiro
Technology changed our life a lot. It brought us a better life. But it brought pollution! Without technology, there's no TVs, computers, fans and so on. On one hand, it made our life better, and on the other hand, it made our life worse.
frozenhead
Well, it's so that we are living a life looking forward not backwards and so Technology is with it, finding better ways how to live life easier, my opinion. Wink
medievalman26
I still say technology has its great advantages and disadvantages but it is always great to get away for a while. I actually just got back from a week long camping trip which rocked but now I am playing catch up for a while.
MeddlingMonk
Technology has its advantages and disadvantages. I am of the opinion that technology itself is neither good nor evil, but it is those who use it and the purposes for which it is used that can be problematic. Probably the biggest issue with technology is that we usually develop something without fully understanding what the impact will be, on both our environment and society. In today's technological society, has technology started to control us with its demands, especially that of being profitable? It has become rather difficult to live without technology in the modern world, especially that of communications technology.
wylieconlon
My opinion on this would be that technology itself is neither good nor bad, but that the way it is applied is what makes it either thing, as other people have already said. In my opinion, the best part about technology would be the progress that we have made since ancient times, and the amazing things we have done with even very limited technology. Take, for instance, the 7 wonders of the world. Amazing feats of engineering, even if some are not standing today.
Vrythramax
wylieconlon wrote:
My opinion on this would be that technology itself is neither good nor bad, but that the way it is applied is what makes it either thing, as other people have already said. In my opinion, the best part about technology would be the progress that we have made since ancient times, and the amazing things we have done with even very limited technology. Take, for instance, the 7 wonders of the world. Amazing feats of engineering, even if some are not standing today.

I think you are refering to the 7 wonders of the ancient world....new ones have taken their place in history. But indeed they must have been marvelous. Smile
Whong
Technology can be used for the benefit of man, but also to make things go wrong...

When man invents something good, it can always be used in a wrong way... Sad
LostOverThere
My very simple opinion. Technology is good. Microsoft is bad.
nivinjoy
The technology is abroad concept that deals with the usage and knowledge of tools and crafts and how it affects human beings like us.Technology has both good and bad sides..The technological developments like printing press,telephone and ofcourse the internet have lessened the physical barriers to communication and allowed human beings to interact on a global scale like i am doing..Technology has affected society and its surroundings in a number of ways.In many socities technology has helped in developing more advanced economies.
However not all technology has been used for peaceful purposes.The development of weapons of ever increasing destructive power has progressed throughout the history.If at first it was a gun,then came a machine gun,then tanks,then alaser guns and then came the most dreadful and most destructive weapon ever made in the world nuclesr weapon..
The technology can be used for both constructive and destructive purposes..When the technology is used for constructive purposes then the technology is Good and when the technology is used for destructive purposes like war etc the technology is Bad..
So everything depends on the way in which the technology is being used.In turn it depends on the minds of humans whether to use technology for constructive or destructive purposes..
Vrythramax
Just my opinion...technology itself is not bad or evil...it is how it is utilized by mankind that can make it either beneficial, or a nightmare..
tevez
technology is has it's good and bad.
back in the days people had to use leg to travel long distance to deliver mail,get help buy things from another state but technology gave us cars, gave us air planes and train and ship and this things are upgraded with help of technology on a regular basis.
the bad side is the technology we bring most of them have harmful agent to effect we humans and the ozone layer which is giving almost evrey one cause of concern.
The fumes from this same technology bulit cars, train air planes the constrution work from amost every where is ozing out carbon monoxide e.t.c which is harmful to humans and also to ths planet we are tring to improve.

Technology has a good side as well as a bad side.
dickyzin
If technology is used ethically, it's very good.
Technology can actually reduce the fumes emitted from cars and trains, by going hybrid. This will reduce the green house gas.
bondageboy777
Mixed emotions about this one...
One one hand, technology has saved lives, made life easier one millions of people, and in information superhighway is currently inabling us to create forums like this were we can chat about things like this Smile

On the other hand...Our lives have become overly dependent on computers and other technological advances we have scene only over the past decade or so. I mean coputers have caused a lot of havoc over hakers i.e. credit informaiton stolen, sexual deviation of internet predators , rape, and murder through networking sites such as MySpace.com

Call me an optimist, but I believe the good of technology outweighs the bad. I always believe good will always overcome evil.
Saysior
Technology is the single defining factor of the human race. Fire, in and of itself, is a technology once it became harnessed. Modern technology has saved not millions, but billions of lives, and billions more live today than would have if there had been no technological revolution. Four hundred years ago, the Per Capita GDP of Europe, projected into modern currency, was only 90% of modern Africa's Per Capita GDP. Everyone has benefitted, and what we percieve as suffering today is simply a failure or lack of opportunity to benefit as much from technology as has the rest of the world.

Perhaps technology has taken lives, millions even, but if humanity was not able to construct tools, then it is altogether possible we would be extinct right now. And if we are talking only about modern technology, post-industrial revolution, then without that technology humanity might only consist of 800 million or fewer.

Also, to address the "problem" of people not understanding the technology that makes up their everyday life, then I respond only that this is an extension of specialization. As early as 3000BC, farmers would not have known how coppersmiths worked with copper, but it was their ability to work in other areas that they knew better that allowed society to grow.

Simply, the existence and advancement of technology is the existence and advancement of the human race.
paul_indo
Without modern technology we couldn't feed the billions of people now on earth, that is a plus. Only problem is it seems that large companies, multinationals and the like tend to profiteer on the monopolies they hold on high priced technologies.
Only the rich get a real benefit the poor of the world are to often left to fend for themselves.
All technologies are only available to the rich. Poor people are to busy trying to feed their families.
Why do so many of these technologies seem to be developed for warfare rather than peace?
Later there is often a flow on sure, but huge money is spent on military development compared with any other area.
Why is so much medical technology priced way beyond the reach of those who really need it?
Developing countries are always struggling to proide medical care which does not need to be as expensive as it is.

Greed is the real problem not the actual technology. Unfortunately technology has enabled the creation of mega companies who can dominate whole industries world wide allowing greedy people to have a much greater effect on the whole world.
aniston
Like every other thing in this world Technology has it's good and very bad side.
Let me start by explaining some few good.
Back in the days before the invention of cars motor cycles, airplanes and train; people had to walk for long distance to get toany distination.
Then thier's light which was brought by technology, so also are machines that helps in the production industries to enable packaging faster.
Technology made watching tghe world and chating withthe world from the comfort of my home, this are but a few advantages of technology.
Lets face the bad side of it, due to the should i say too know how of advanced technology humans invented guns, to not only hunt down animals ut also to kill a fellow human.
Technology made humans to invent weapons of mass destruction, weapons that kill faster.
it will be wise to say technology inthe wrong hands can lead to far greater disaster than good.

Which everway we can not do without technology.
frozenhead
Just to append what others' posted. Technology can be use either in bad or good purposes. Technology makes other peoples' living easier but others' worst (bombs, weapons, etc.). That really depends on the purpose why one should use a technology.
russel26
Good for me.... Rolling Eyes
amicalindia
Technology in itself is neither good nor bad. Its the application of that technology which decides the issue.

Holy wrote:

genchan
[quote="amicalindia"]Technology in itself is neither good nor bad. Its the application of that technology which decides the issue.

Agreed! Technology IS technology. Good or bad depends on the people using it. It gets a bad name when people claim to use it for something good when actually its not.
thegoswebs
Technology is a good thing but is also a bad thing depending on what exactly it's used for. The more and more technology grows the smaller this world becomes, that's pretty cool but now a lot of us isn't motivated to go somewhere when we can just stay at home. More poeple are going to be unhealthy and what not. But on the other hand for medical use or for communication use (as long as it's used properly) technology is becoming an amazing thing. Technology can some day help a lot of people and I think that if we invest in technology and use it the way that we really should use it it can become a magnificent thing one day. But that's just me. A lot of people think that it's a waste of time to figure out how the thing works, but I say they're just too lazy considering if you sit down and actually learn it. All it really is is another skill you can use to maybe better society some day but I really think that we need to start using everything the right way. take better care of our world would be a good start, for example stay away from the computer a little bit every day so you can help clean the neighborhood or something like that.
zjosie729
I love technology. In fact, my profession is based around technology. But isn't it technology that brought the world to the state it's in now, with global warming and whatnot?

I voted for the last option.
ganesh
I voted that it has both upsides and downsides.

Though we can pray and hope that technology is used for the good of the people, it is inevitable that it finds nefarious uses too.

The silver lining is that even when technology is used for bad things, eventually some aspect of it percolates down to being utilized in some useful thing beneficial to mankind.
Sphaerenkern
Well, technology is neither good or bad, and...
...that has been said here more than enough, right? Very Happy So let's get a bit deeper.

I think the point is that human development has to keep up with technology. You might say the development of a culture can be measured in their technological progress. I disagree. You don't just need to evolve your technology, you need to evolve yourself to use this technology right. And that's the whole point when technology is good or bad.
At the moment, it seems to me that the technology is more advanced that the humans. Weapons get better and better so we can defend ourselves better. But ethics and beliefs didn't keep up with technology, that's why we still have wars and terrorists: The technology is there, but the mental development isn't. It's like there are kids with rifles everywhere and shooting each other for destroying their sand castles.
There are TVs, PCs and consoles. But many people didn't learn how to integrate it in their social life and just replacing their social life with it.
There's the internet, full of knowledge. But why should we learn when we can access this knowledge more easily on a PC?
Humanity looks to me like a kid that eats sweets all the day because it tastes better than fruit, vegetables and meat. It will turn fat quite soon - or did already - but is too dumb and lazy to do something against it.
deanhills
I think technology is good and bad. The bad part is that it weakens us as a human race. We become comfortable, get used to our comforts. The planet is overpopulated and there is an imbalance of the human race with too many humans per square ft relative to the resources that are available to feed us. Competition is becoming harder as well. But my greatest worry is weaknesses. There is a minority that is lean and hard working, and I am not talking about the ones that work out regularly in a gymnasium. I am talking about people who work out on farms, make things grow, take care of real life. As opposed to being cooped up in concrete jungles, living on plastic food, worried about getting fat, and being more prone to sitting in front of a TV or Computer Screen, than being out with nature, taking risks and living dangerously.
bigt
deanhills wrote:
I think technology is good and bad. The bad part is that it weakens us as a human race. We become comfortable, get used to our comforts. The planet is overpopulated and there is an imbalance of the human race with too many humans per square ft relative to the resources that are available to feed us. Competition is becoming harder as well. But my greatest worry is weaknesses. There is a minority that is lean and hard working, and I am not talking about the ones that work out regularly in a gymnasium. I am talking about people who work out on farms, make things grow, take care of real life. As opposed to being cooped up in concrete jungles, living on plastic food, worried about getting fat, and being more prone to sitting in front of a TV or Computer Screen, than being out with nature, taking risks and living dangerously.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Technology can be great, but as with other things, too much of anything can be bad. Why do they call it the "crackberry"? And we do need to get out and be more active. In middle school we had an almost daily ritual of outdoor football and other sports activities. We rode our bikes everywhere too. I wish I owned a bike today almost 15 years later. I've been working on my garden as well.
vvforgs

Very good
Crinoid
The initial post was not so about technology, but more about its affordability or rather not affordability for the most of Earth population.

I see technology as any other thing without own will and intentions - like dinner fork. It's the human user, who makes it good or bad, depending of application. Using it to transfer food from the plate to mouth, without making hands dirty and food - contaminated. Bad - if it was put in the eye, own or somebody else. Or knife: it's good for cutting steak to bitable pieces, as a tool, where nails fail. But take a look of image of knife, promoted in society - oh, my god, weapon! It was made solely for killing people! But nobody compares amount of people, killed by knives with amount of people killed by cars, and nobody makes massive campaign to make cars look bad (not literally, the public image) and limit their usage. Knives (or forks) do not pollute environment, as cars do, influencing health and mortality this way too. Again, quoting the Ancient Romans, who benefits (from promoting particular point of view)?
Cars are big money, significant chunk of national economy. Prohibiting, limiting them will make environment cleaner and healthier, but will power, supported by big money, allow it?
Knives: the easy way to make a nice yearly report about what was made for fighting crime, by making the law, prohibiting to the law-abiding citizens (not to the criminals, who by definition do not abide the law) particular kind, with frequently absurd criteria. Applying this law for a single sedentary law-abiding citizens with permanent address (it's could be dangerous to trying oppose the powerful organized crime with political support, composed from mobile criminals with automatic firing weapons). Apart from making general population defenseless against crime (again, who benefits from such laws and who made them passed approval), not counting kitchen forks and baseball bats, even then self-defense could be punished, and the burglar /assailant will be paid by injuries, caused by self-defense of attacked on the property of attacked.

I had fun, reading heated voices of protest at forums: how it is not prohibited yet in your country? And answers with laugh in them: how, isn't murder yet prohibited in your country? Who breaks murder law, will pay no whatever attention to such small and simple things, as minor prohibitions. Especially, if after even murder (and being found) the criminal will become free in several years. Yep, prohibiting forks will help prevent this very much.

Another analogy: technology made possible to cure many diseases. Can we use them at full extent? Not. Even if one can pay the cost of medicine drugs (that includes distributed fraction of research facilities, researchers, their management and support staff, supplies, animal testing, clinical testing, licensing,production plants, again including facilities, labor, management, distribution, transport, sales system), the efficient and having the most impact on the life treatments are not available for everyone, only after paying for a many medical appointments, tests and so on, by prescription of the medical specialist, independently from needs of the end user, who otherwise could be much healthier, if it had direct access to the means to maintain own health. Ultimately, by the law, he/she is responsible for own health, not the medical professional. I mean not morphine kind of drugs, but antibiotics, birth control, hormonal treatments for postmenopausal syndrome - you name them.

Developing previous analogy: why people become sick in rising numbers, year after year? This is not only result of improving diagnostics, but of changed environment too. Chemically treated food, water, polluted air, limited mobility, distress. There is no profit in improving this. And not because of bad or good technology.

From original post again: helping each other to survive. While wholeheartedly agree on the compassion grounds, note, that with raised amount of Earth population and unlimited reproduction, there will be time (and already was) for fighting for a space and resources for survival and quality life. You know the concept of limited resources.

And personal passage: some of you may remember (or trace it through the movies or TV shows) the period, when lightweight, really wrinkle resistant, breathable, warm or cool, comfortable variety of clothes was available even for low income layers of society. Same time, people had quite an amount of hair, good hair. Rounded lightweight helicopters, pleasant to the eye. Development of technology (by humans) made it possible and it was already achieved. Where and why did all this go? This is not a technology fault.
Missing that.
By the way, this is not a nostalgia, some of you may find somewhere far in the closet this type of clothes (not a helicopter, of course) and see own hair on the photos. Hair: was it change in formulations of shampoo, making it cheap in production and more expensive in selling, guaranteeing rising of profits? Or was it switch from frozen food to chemically treated? Again, in any case, it was human decision, profit-based, because technological possibility already exists.

Why comfortable shoes, that you at last found, are not produced more two years later? Technology allows this. Why the pants or shorts (apart from business suits) display all the defects, listed in "mistakes to avoid" sections of tailor's books, and casual clothes are made from heavy crude fabric and are becoming more and more primitive? It is well known, how to avoid this.

People, why did we come to this, really?
medievalman26
saying that technology is good or bad is the equivalent of saying that a knife is evil, or a gun is good, just for two examples. It is only evil or good if the person/people using it use it to those ends. Also, good and evil are just a matter of perspective.
DizzyDesign
Technology is good if used for good purposes in my opinion

-Demon
vvforgs

About the rest of technology, still depens on how it's used.. computers, internet, electricity.. great.. for 99% of the world.. but computers are very easy to hack in to banks etc.. I've been in every swedish bank just cause it's fun.. never touched anything tho.. just tried to see if I got in.. and security sux.. so easy to steal and trick people.. and electricity.. hm all good except for the electric char and that we are so in need of it.. if we have a power breakdown people are stuck.. we can't cook, we cant see after dark, we cant keep our houses warm etc.. but still technology have done great things for us.. and we should keep develop it, new solutions, more knowledge.. and more saving the nature!
ptfrances
I agree that it depends of the use we do of the technology.... It still the strong point
joostvane
Thanks to technology we are chatting on this forum as an open community now. We are not freezing outside during christmas and we can travel to work without having to walk for 4 hours.

But technology also gave us the opportunity to blow things up, wich some of us Earthlings dare to do...

Technology is also demanding loads of recources of our planet...

Well, stuck between the two I geuss... But I couldn't live without a computer anymore now, and all these luxury, so I'll go for a yes, technology is good!
j14fusion14
technology sucks. "Advanced technology" redirects here. For the Advanced Technology form factor, see AT (form factor).
By the mid 20th century, humans had achieved a mastery of technology sufficient to leave the surface of the Earth for the first time and explore space.

Technology is a broad concept that deals with a species' usage and knowledge of tools and crafts, and how it affects a species' ability to control and adapt to its environment. Technology is a term with origins in the Greek "technologia", "τεχνολογία" — "techne", "τέχνη" ("craft") and "logia", "λογία" ("saying").[1] However, a strict definition is elusive; "technology" can refer to material objects of use to humanity, such as machines, hardware or utensils, but can also encompass broader themes, including systems, methods of organization, and techniques. The term can either be applied generally or to specific areas: examples include "construction technology", "medical technology", or "state-of-the-art technology".

The human race's use of technology began with the conversion of natural resources into simple tools. The prehistorical discovery of the ability to control fire increased the available sources of food and the invention of the wheel helped humans in travelling in and controlling their environment. Recent technological developments, including the printing press, the telephone, and the Internet, have lessened physical barriers to communication and allowed humans to interact on a global scale. However, not all technology has been used for peaceful purposes; the development of weapons of ever-increasing destructive power has progressed throughout history, from clubs to nuclear weapons.

Technology has affected society and its surroundings in a number of ways. In many societies, technology has helped develop more advanced economies (including today's global economy) and has allowed the rise of a leisure class. Many technological processes produce unwanted by-products, known as pollution, and deplete natural resources, to the detriment of the Earth and its environment. Various implementations of technology influence the values of a society and new technology often raises new ethical questions. Examples include the rise of the notion of efficiency in terms of human productivity, a term originally applied only to machines, and the challenge of traditional norms.

Philosophical debates have arisen over the present and future use of technology in society, with disagreements over whether technology improves the human condition or worsens it. Neo-Luddism, anarcho-primitivism, and similar movements criticise the pervasiveness of technology in the modern world, claiming that it harms the environment and alienates people; proponents of ideologies such as transhumanism and techno-progressivism view continued technological progress as beneficial to society and the human condition. Indeed, until recently, it was believed that the development of technology was restricted only to human beings, but recent scientific studies indicate that other primates and certain dolphin communities have developed simple tools and learned to pass their knowledge to other generations.
Poetsunited
Technology isn't bad, obviously...

it's the people who are bad, they abuse inventions made by people ( most of the time ) with the best intention.

For example during WWII Hitler ordered a bunch of scientists to come up with a way to kill 'rats' ( he told the naive scientists who never had ethics or anything of course in reality he wanted to kill people)
They build a very nicely working machine, that had a very high quality/price ratio ( it used very little energy and gas to kill a high amount of people ) so technology itself is incredible, people just abuse it

thats why a lot of people were pro giving multiple subjects in schools ( like here in belgium ) so we get more then just HOW to make it, we also can judge if it's ok to do so..

another thing is, people often say, technology/improvement leads to war, ( like in the early 20th century everyone was optimistic and believing that science could change the world, till the first World War came and people saw the devastating force of technology) but it's also a fact that WAR leads to even more improvement and it's ironic, but WAR most of the time, makes our lives better...
for example, during the World Wars, everything evolved in a rapid way, better medication ( because the sick had to be treated ) better planes, at first to get armies deployed as fast as possible but thanks to that, we can now go on a holiday somewhere far away without having to ride in a car for a few days...

so TECHNOLOGY itself is good, just don't let people abuse it! :>
< science ( latin scire: to know, just know enough to use it ) >
Poetsunited
Also , I would love to live in a world without technology, to go back to our earliest stage where we had no worries except for getting our food, keeping ourselves warm...

I often sit and wonder at how rushed we all are, we take the bus/car/train to get to work every day, we all have to do a job of which we can see no direct result ( most of the time ) and we hardly feel any appreciation for what we do...

I think technology has enslaved us all, not a lot of people could live without it...
but there's no going back, we took a path which has no return and I think it'll keep getting worse and thinking about Mr Governator, eventually technology will be our end.

now that sounded so stupid :p
im1ofthem
Technology is great! It does, however, cause some diseases. I guess some people prefer ignorance, though.
muffinman187
Jinx wrote:

well said Jinx. it's not technology that is good or bad it's the person that is using the technology for good or for bad.

I love technology without it we wont be doing what we're doing today. not only that it's technology that improve our lives and save lives as well.
deadswan
Think
I am also stuck between the two...
I mean although technology is good with helping cure diseases, bringing entertainment and so on...
But as was originally said it also brings greed by people charging so much for these things.
Also by having technology we need the energy to power it all... Which ruins the atmosphere, so that's also bad...
But now we are using our technology to find new ways to make fuel so it's all good and bad

Mr. Green
ptfrances
It depends a lot of the techology... but in all periods, technology has been good or bad for human being Wink
Poetsunited
we all love technology, but we don't want it at the same time, we hate what it can do to our planet, to ourselves. yet without technology we wouldn't last a day, our way of life is to complex to go without it.

just imagine a day without it... you get up to go to school/work too late, because you don't have an alarm. you can only walk naked, because everything else is produced by someone, most of the time using a machine or has been improved a lot during the years, unless if you just killed some wild animal for its fur. Arriving at your work, you don't see a big building like you were used to see but just people working on the 'floor'. After work, you get home, you make a fire, using fire stones, and making your food by putting it on a rock in the fire or on a branch above the fire. after dinner, you go to sleep in your 'bed' which would simply be fur on the ground :p

sounds kinda cool right :>
SonLight
Poetsunited, your description of life "without technology" is good, but you really still used a lot of technology. The ability to keep a fire burning, or better, to light a fire on demand, was a huge technological advance for mankind. You didn't specify exactly how animals might have been killed for their fur, but it would be natural to ask questions about it, and to phrase them as, "what technology did you use to ...".

The real issue is not so much whether we will use technology, but what types of technology we will use and what types we will avoid.
pscompanies
I agree with some of the other posters--there's no such thing as good or bad technology, it's all in how you use it. For a great example, look at nuclear energy--big payoff when used for power, etc. but horrific when used for a bomb.

I think technology also gives us an increased sense of independence, which can also either be bad or good, but seems to often bring arrogance and even more selfishness than we otherwise would have.
Joshwa
Technology is just like everything else. Good in moderation. (Which gives rise to the question: What is moderation?).

We've all seen the techno-horrors (see the movie I, Robot, to name one of a million), but a machine is only as smart as its creator, at least for the time being.
Asafe
Everything can be bad or good, it dependes on its use.
HoytJolly
I think that technology improves the quality of life while reducing the quality of the human. I believe that all organic life evolves in order to survive and thrive in their environment. The difficulties of life make the creatures that live it stronger and more able to face future difficulties. Physically, we have removed this natural progression. We have turned a physical drive to evolve into a mental drive to change the world. Our minds grow stronger while our bodies grow weaker. Eventually, we will probably lose our bodies, and inhabit the machines that we have built with our minds alone.
yagnyavalkya
It depends on what it is used for
sudipbanerjee
Technology is the usage and knowledge of tools, techniques, crafts, systems or methods of organization. Technologies affect human ability to control and adapt to their natural environments. Technology has affected society and its surroundings in a number of ways. Technology can be viewed as an activity that forms or changes culture. Additionally, technology is the application of math, science, and the arts for the benefit of life as it is known. Without Technology man can not able to come in today. I know it has some bad effects also. But if we think about the positive side of technology then its negative effect is negligible.So I think Technology is good.
c'tair
I think that reading the Industrial Society and its Future should be mandatory before partaking in a discussion like this. We see all the good that technology gives us, hell, I'm posting this from a computer, but that essay written by T. Kaczynski unveils all the evils that technology has bought down on us and he basically says one thing -
No matter who invents something for which purpose, it must have a downside.

Look at the Internet - we've got global communications now but we also have:
a) piracy
b) hackers and crackers
c) the government spying on you
d) cyberbullying

And while you may say that technology is neither good or bad, with which I agree, but you must know that as long as there are people - technology will be used to harm other people. And technology gives you awesome leverage, just look at the war in Afghanistan. People with access to information to make bombs and traps have inflicted a lot of casualties on the best and most sophisticated army in the world even though the Talibans lack training.

In conclusion - as long as we have technology, there will be evil uses of it, and because technology provides huge leverage, the possibility of inflicting harm upon others grows exponentially. Just like technology grows exponentially.
Bluedoll
I agree bad or good is really about usage as far as technology is concerned. Problems exist from another sources other than the invention. Social and human values are what is at the root of what determines good and bad.

Alternatively, having said this, if we look at technology from another viewpoint we could compare it to a drug. What are the side effects of putting new technology into society? If we mass produce new improved weapon/tools and dump them in the market place will violence/crime go up or down? Technology production in this case does have direct effects and therefore can be considered to be a good or bad make?
dapopeyoh
I think technology is a very good thing. It simplifies our lives and relives us from stress. But depending on trhe usage, it could be bad. So, bad people use it for bad things while good people use it for good things.
Lady Elensar
I voted 'good', but soon I noticed it can also have it's bad influences. Those three seconds I was thinking about the answer were not enough Laughing But, in common, it's been a very good thing since it is used for better things.
omale55
Personally, I think technology is one of the greatest achievements of mankind. It is sad though that some people use it for the wrong things. But looking at the world today I can say that most of our achievements are through science and technology. Like someone said earlier good people use it for good while bad people use it for bad. So it all comes down to human nature.
lancecruzie
I think it is depend on how it is use. Technology is good as a economical and for communication. Today, most of them do not play outdoor games because of the overuse of the computer, which leads us to obesity.It entertained. Computers and new technology makes life easy for everyone, and gets easier every day. Computers and new technology is good for the world. But I also think it should at least be more controlled.
CheDragon
Technology is ALWAYS good.... people are the ones who make that wrong, dependig oon the use they give
emanuel2
Jinx wrote:

Yeah thats my opinion, as the famous quote:
Guns don't shot people, people shot people.

Technology is just a tool, nothing more and nothing less. Of course artificial intelligence may change that in future, or may not... we will see
watersoul
Yep, like others have said previously, technology isn't bad, it's just the people who use it!
GiovannaRacalli
Maybe, there is no straight line in technological development.

I peronaly feel, that there are specific "Ups and Downs" on technological progress within the history of different parts of the world.
I´m also of the opinion that people of low-tech-times likte the western Middle Ages have in some cases (control by the state, personal realationship to authorities, also individualism in some way) a higher degree of personal luck. This indirectly depends also on technical progress, though tech depends mainly on social things.

Giovanna
gandalfthegrey
Technology is good and bad.

On one hand, it is potentially going to destroy our climate, oceans, food supply (Bees, Frogs, Fish all disappearing), and our health (from cancer causing chemicals).
On the other hand, it has provided us with a quality of life never achieved before, cured many diseases, extended our life expectancy through improvements in food production, safety and nutrition.
ratanegra
Whong wrote:
Technology is good, but in some aspects it is going way over!
Like cloning humans and animals is something that is absolutely terrible in my opinion. God created life and in his hands it is, humans are trying to take God's place but they will NEVER succed! Very HappyVery Happy Wink

I disagree, but I don't have the time to argue right now. Maybe later if I remember, or maybe not!
domz
technology has its pros and cons. we should learn to use it wisely. let it not destroy the earth we live in. instead use it to make live better in a cleaner and greener way.
cybersa
If we use a technology in good way,it is good.
Otherwise it is bad.

Don't use a technology as bad.
Sw4k1ll4r
Well that depends on how you think about it. Infact anything made to solve a problem or serve some purpose is technology, even two simple rocks thats being used to create a fire. So to really dislike technology, you must dislike almost everything that you see/use in your everyday life.

My two cents/Albin
Magikscape
I think it's good but it also has a downside, like when it doesn't work, etc.
ratanegra
Technology is only the means that you use so you can make the most (practically) of scientific knowledge. Hence, technology can't be bad. What can be bad is the way that human beings use certain resources. For example, humans can make a good use of oil, but when they don't use the proper resources (failing to accomplish the original purpose of certain scientific discovery), they end up damaging the atmosphere, the earth and the human race itself. That being said, everyone can notice that it was not the technology the one that was bad, but the use that the human made of it.
nigam
that depends on how they gonna used it whether they used it for good or for bad.....

just like a handy phone...it was built for convennience...so it is good for us...but some people used it to blow or make it a bomb... that's bad....
Bluedoll
I only want to speak for myself.

I want to use techno for good and not for bad.

It should, I think also do something good for me.
williams_john
Technology is a good feature for even every country. Its concidered the key of success for a prograsive country. Technology have always good effect but that’s we people who use it in a wrong way.
Here an exmple AN itom bomb is considered a key of powerfull country, any country can be use it for generating energy. But its bad use come in nagasaki where millions of people victim of it.
But now a day all Technology use in bad way I agree of that point.
kainster
Technology is just tool, you cannot say a tool is negative or positive, but people who use the tool is either positive or negative
mukesh
I think any types of technology is good but depend on use.

This times I am writing post by keyboard this is also a technology.

A knife which we use to cut vegetables this is also a technology.

But a knife which use to cut or destroy our Keyboard this is also a technology but not good for use.

So, we should to know first which types of technology where to be use.
asnani04
This is a very debatable issue. Technology can be considered good or bad depending on its usage.
For example, if you get to knoe how to use uranium for generating nuclear power, you can either use it for providing electricity for domestic and industrial uses, or you can use it for making atomic bombs and blowing up those very houses and industries. In general, I think technologies have a positive impact..as one can observe from the generations that have passed and the present ones also.
Flegit
Depends on the kind of the technology, I guess...

SaiRasagna
Hi! Every One. This is Sai Rasagna. Now I am going to tell to u about "Is Technology Good or Bad?"
According to me Technology is either good or bad as it can be used in 2 ways. Such as:
1. Good: Nuclear energy can be used as an alternate energy instead of fuels.
2. Bad: Same Nuclear energy in bombs to blast some one house.
Thanks for reading mine.
If u want to meet like this guys who are so interesting send a mail for:
sairasagna@gmail.com
saying the word technolgist friend,
Bye, Very Happy Smile Shocked Laughing Laughing Think [/i]
kmr_mukund
it depends.all the technology is good but it depends on use.it can be use wrongly.if you are using technology without harm to other then it is a boon else it is a bad boon.
zimmer
technology is good for me.. makes my life easier.
darthrevan
I vote it is a good thing, because it can be used for good. Only does it become bad when it is used for bad. So I guess it can be considered good/bad. I love technology, but there is something bad I do see. For example, at a couple of Walmarts, one of them I work at, has self-checkouts. I see them as taking away some people's jobs and I hate that. I don't want technology to take our jobs away, just to aide us.
Radar
It's a tool, and like all tools, their worth comes from the way that they are used.

Does technology have a positive effect on our society? I like to think so. The trouble comes in separating the effect of technology from the effect of our greed, and the effect of capitalism, because in the modern world, they are very much interlinked.
zaxacongrejo
If it wasn’t for and because of technology we wouldn’t be here
Without technology we aren’t so different from monkeys honestly even monkeys have technology
You see, technology it’s a consequence from cognitive thought
a branch of a tree in a hall with a propose of extracting termites is technology
Technology give us the ability to build communities and them cities and then country’s
Technology is us and we are technology we can’t just say is good or it’s bad because the concept is much bigger them just that.
Again we wouldn’t be here without technology often people make a confusion of calling technology just the latest 400 years development but that’s wrong technology has been always present since the we as species get off the trees
You see using a branch of a tree to help you let’s say just walking that’s technology
twotrophy
zaxacongrejo wrote:
If it wasn’t for and because of technology we wouldn’t be here

I strongly agree, without technology, many things in our daily lives such as televisions, smartphones and even vehicles wouldn't exist. Without technology, we would be walking kilometers to work or school.
However, a bad thing about technology is that it harms the environment significantly. Because of this, the air quality in many places is bad (e.g Haze) and many people are falling sick because of this.
slimviking
SaiRasagna wrote:
[b]Hi! Every One. This is Sai Rasagna. Now I am going to tell to u about "Is Technology Good or Bad?"
According to me Technology is either good or bad as it can be used in 2 ways. Such as:
1. Good: Nuclear energy can be used as an alternate energy instead of fuels.
2. Bad: Same Nuclear energy in bombs to blast some one house.

Of course, even fire could be used for cooking or setting forests on fire

The point is, without technology we don't have civilization, even using the fire
was technology