FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the point in Scroll Lock?

Have you seen a program where Scroll Lock does something?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 11 ]
No
63%
 63%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 30

hack_man_
I have been using computers for a very long time now, and I have not found a single use for Scroll Lock. What is it supposed to do? I have not found a single program yet where it does anything!

Can anybody shed any light on it or is it safe to just pull it off?
Disaster-Pieces
I have no clue what your on about sorry mate... ill see if i can find out for you and ill pm with the info i get. Smile Surprised
MrBlueSky
It used to stop the scrolling of output in DOS, back in the old days of the XT and AT. That's why it is called scroll-lock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_lock

Quote:

Only a few modern programs still honor this behavior, such as Microsoft Excel (in the behavior of arrows — when Scroll Lock is on, the selection does not move), Lotus Notes and Forté Agent.
{name here}
In some *nix systems you use scroll lock to allow yourself to look at output scrolled outside the view of the terminal. It's quite a handy button in that situation, IMO.
Macko112
I used to use it back in Diablo II when doing PVP with my amazon. It used to make your camera enter free mode instead of being locked on your character. Then you could navigate to another character and attack him with guided arrows before he could even see you.
Arseniy
Err... I have no use for Scroll Lock key... except for turn it on and off=)))
Psycho_X52
Yeah, I like turn it on and off Very Happy
There was a program that made the NumLock and ScrollLock blink showing download/upload rate of the network card.
Also 'Pause'. I know only one recording program, but it is not critical button, and can be replaced.
Break? I used only in C++ to quit application.
And it top is the euro symbol (above 5, under %) . How do you use it?
Arseniy
How I can use that euro symbol, really? I cannot even paste it in any texts!
And Pause|Break is highly used in many old (and not) games for pausing a game.
NumLock blinking isn't very suitable for me, because I use NumLock key sometimes, and it's err... not cool. I wouldn't know then, is it a numbers registry or service registry set up now.
Daire
Psycho_X52 wrote:
Yeah, I like turn it on and off Very Happy
There was a program that made the NumLock and ScrollLock blink showing download/upload rate of the network card.
Also 'Pause'. I know only one recording program, but it is not critical button, and can be replaced.
Break? I used only in C++ to quit application.
And it top is the euro symbol (above 5, under %) . How do you use it?

On mine it's on 4 but you press 'Alt Gr' and 4, or 5 in your case. €€
Liu
Macko112 wrote:
I used to use it back in Diablo II when doing PVP with my amazon. It used to make your camera enter free mode instead of being locked on your character. Then you could navigate to another character and attack him with guided arrows before he could even see you.

I wish I knew this when I played a long long time ago.
Traveller
Quite frankly, it was NEVER of very much use. Before keyboards had a Scroll Lock key, we used CTRL-S to stop the scrolling output on terminals, and CTRL-Q to restart it.

Once PCs came into existence, someone thought it would be a great idea to "simplify" things by making a special key to handle the same function. The problem, however, was that newbies had no idea what Scroll Lock meant, and we oldtimers just kept on using CTRL-S and CTRL-Q anyway.

Thus, the special, Scroll Lock key really never saw much use, and was eventually supplanted by allowing the entire output to build up within a GUI interface, then doing the scrolling with the scroll bars.
reddishblue
They're useless really, what I use is F12 not scroll lock, I bet its only there for traditions sake
Daniel15
The only time I've used Scroll Lock is in Microsoft Excel (try it - It allows you to scroll the page, but still keep the current cell selected). I believe it's kept around from old times, just like SysRq (Alt+Print Screen, I think). The only use I know of for the SysRq thingy is the "Magic SysRq Keys" in Linux Smile

Quote:

Some games use the Pause button to Pause the game Smile
Also, it's used as a Break key in some programming languages (certain C and C++ variants, QuickBasic, and Visual Basic are the ones I know of. There's definitely more...)
ChrisCh
Psycho_X52 wrote:
Does anyone happen to know what this program is called? Smile
Hogwarts
http://www.download.com/POP-Peeper/3000-2369_4-10606616.html?tag=pdp_prod
That's a program I used to use. It'll make your Scroll Lock button flash when you receive emails Smile

I wonder if there's a thunderbird plugin that does that... Guess I'll go find out Smile
Daniel15
ChrisCh wrote:
Psycho_X52 wrote:
Does anyone happen to know what this program is called? Smile

Searching in Google, I found Keyboard Network Leds v1.10 Very Happy
erlendhg
Daniel15 wrote:
The only time I've used Scroll Lock is in Microsoft Excel (try it - It allows you to scroll the page, but still keep the current cell selected). I believe it's kept around from old times, just like SysRq (Alt+Print Screen, I think). The only use I know of for the SysRq thingy is the "Magic SysRq Keys" in Linux Smile

Quote:

Also, it's used as a Break key in some programming languages (certain C and C++ variants, QuickBasic, and Visual Basic are the ones I know of. There's definitely more...)

Wow. Had actually no idea of what that Scroll Lock button was for in our modern operative systems Razz

Cool, the thing with Excel Smile

And also, what does SysRq stand for?
HoboPelican
Just pull it off and replace it with an "Any Key" button! That one gets much more use!

As Daniel15 pointed out, it was pretty handy in Excel. I don't use it anymore, but at one time it was pretty handy in Excel AND 123.
Kaisonic
I've been on a laptop for about 3 years now (not the same laptop lol) so I haven't seen a NumLock or a ScrollLock button in a while. I never really used them anyway.
bulek
I think that scroll lock is useless today in Windows operation systems. It was pretty handy in DOS but who uses so old operation system today?
ocalhoun
Daniel15 wrote:

Scroll lock can also prevent the document from scrolling while you type, on almost any word-processor. This isn't often needed, but it is handy occasionally.

Also, SysRq is Shift + PrntScrn. Alt+PrntScrn captures the active window instead of the whole screen (extremely useful).
Nyizsa
In addition, there is a very handy package called Hunglish. (It is very handy for Hungarians; I'm not sure abou others Smile ) Basically, it's a keyboard layout switcher. Scroll lock switches between Hungarian and English layout.
The point is: Scroll lock is seldom used, and that makes it a perfect choice for special tasks.
{name here}
bulek wrote:
I think that scroll lock is useless today in Windows operation systems. It was pretty handy in DOS but who uses so old operation system today?

In windows it is. In the BSD operating systems, it is not. If you are unable to use X, the only way to scroll through the terminal is to use the scroll lock to move about the buffer in much the same way a man page. Unfortunately I've only seen one *nix OS that is able to do this, though, and that is FreeBSD.
theem
thats really amazing man..... Shocked

I have never used the Scroll Key iether.... Very Happy

hahhaha
Daniel15
erlendhg wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:

Quote:

Wow. Had actually no idea of what that Scroll Lock button was for in our modern operative systems Razz

Cool, the thing with Excel Smile

And also, what does SysRq stand for?

I believe it means "System Request"... It's a legacy thing that isn't really used any more
EDIT: More information on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SysRq

ocalhoun wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:

Scroll lock can also prevent the document from scrolling while you type, on almost any word-processor. This isn't often needed, but it is handy occasionally.

Also, SysRq is Shift + PrntScrn. Alt+PrntScrn captures the active window instead of the whole screen (extremely useful).

Oops, I got confused... The "Magic SysRq Key" uses Alt+Print screen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key (ALT+Print Screen+R S E I U B is very useful when the system is frozen - it safely halts all processes, syncs the disks, unmounts the disks, and reboots Smile
MrBlueSky
Kaisonic wrote:
I've been on a laptop for about 3 years now (not the same laptop lol) so I haven't seen a NumLock or a ScrollLock button in a while. I never really used them anyway.

You don't have a NumLock or ScrollLock button on your laptop(s)? Strange..
ItsWesley
I don't think I've ever actually used the scroll lock button, aside from being bored and just making the scroll lock light flash on and off.
Ducksteina
Well, I actually need this button!
I got an addon for Miranda IM which flashes it when I recieve a new message and I'm currently playing a game or something.
Pretty useful Smile
X3 Talk
Too true. I don't know what Scroll Lock does that much and I don't think it really does much in terms of the overall spectrum of this thing we call computers.
skygaia
I didn't know about Scroll lock key on a keyboard. And I have never used the key since I began to use a computer.
But I got some information of the key here.. thanks... However I think it's useless key for me
LukeakaDanish
In the application xfire (which all real gamers use) it brings up the chat window ingame in any supported games.

(key combo is ScrollLock + X)
alexdude
I think scroll lock is a way to stop using your keyboards page up and page down functions. I just like making the keyboard light up by pressing it.
hofodomo01
well, i suppose there will always be a little part of my life that's incomplete without a definite use for scroll lock lol...
Daniel15
MrBlueSky wrote:
Kaisonic wrote:

You don't have a NumLock or ScrollLock button on your laptop(s)? Strange..

A lot of laptops don't have them as a "main" key; they require you to press "Fn" and some other key (my laptop has a Num Lock key, and you need to press Fn+Num Lock for Scroll Lock)
R2.DETARD
I would reconfigure it as a shortcut key.
It makes you wonder about an invention which would interperate the kbrd signals and you could program it to reassign them to different character signals, eg. an instant (all be it unmarked) dvorak keybord from a qwerty keyboard by simply plugging in a small USB device.

You could use this to put your scroll lock and pause keys to good use.
kingkong
It's very handy if I'm using linux and DOS. However it can reconfigure to build-in function that can be extra feature for my application that I've developed. Exclamation
MrBlueSky
Daniel15 wrote:

A lot of laptops don't have them as a "main" key; they require you to press "Fn" and some other key (my laptop has a Num Lock key, and you need to press Fn+Num Lock for Scroll Lock)

LOL Very Happy Looking at my own laptop keyboard, you're right! Maybe I should look at my keyboard more often Shocked (but then again, I always use an external keyboard).

R2.DETARD wrote:
I would reconfigure it as a shortcut key.
It makes you wonder about an invention which would interperate the kbrd signals and you could program it to reassign them to different character signals, eg. an instant (all be it unmarked) dvorak keybord from a qwerty keyboard by simply plugging in a small USB device.

You could use this to put your scroll lock and pause keys to good use.

You mean a program which let you reassign any key? There are a lot of programs which let you do just that.
tbsmicro
I, like Daniel15, have used it in Excel. Not seen any other uses for it other than this. I am amazed to see so many people commenting on different uses. I like the flashing email indication idea.
rhathar
The key is a convenience that isn't really used, even by those that could use it. In most cases (as with *nix systems) there are alternate keys that do the same thing so we don't really need a 'special' key for it anyways.

I agree with whoever said to replace it with the 'Any' key. That would see more use! Wink
Lessien
wel
i never knew for what you used that key, same counts for the sys rq
i did learn to type in dos, talking bout preword typing
no fancy space and tabs but learning all those codes
anyway
i don't think i ever used it there, would remember if i did
but this does make me wonder
now that the main reason of that key is gone, why is it still on computers and laptops
they could use the space for maybe another key that is more usefull and actually more used
but that is just how i see it
right now some keys have so many functions you gotta look real closely and have to figure out what combo makes them work
ah wel
guess it makes things more interesing
lol
catscratches
Have never noticed it before... Wonder what it does... Maybe if I press it, there will come an Alien down in a ufo! Let's test!!!!!!!!

Nothing happened Sad
NuniPio
catscratches wrote:
Have never noticed it before... Wonder what it does... Maybe if I press it, there will come an Alien down in a ufo! Let's test!!!!!!!!

Nothing happened Sad

hahaha i doubt that, i think it would do what it says. scroll lock, so it would probably lock whether or not you can scroll. im just taking a guess, not sure and never used it lol
catscratches
COOL! It happened something!!! A green icon showed up saying that scroll lock was on!!! COOL!

Nothing else happened ...

EDIT: you can scroll even if it's on/off
The_Gamer294
XFire! scroll lock + X to bring it up over game and scroll lock + S to take a screenshot. scroll lock is such a useless key
DandDer
beyond me, never used the bottom myself...but thanks to MrBlueSky i now have a new random fact about computers to show off.

my other car is a cdr
^^look up what that joke means if you enjoy solving computer mysteries
LittleMissPattycake
Not sure why they kept the name Scroll-lock after the DOS days were over. They could have given it another name to suit what the majority of programs used it for.
Macko112
* qwerty- wonders why Home and End aren't yet implemented
<qwerty-> pretty useful keys, for me at least
<Mike`> The Home key works for me; everytime I press it, I look around and I'm at home.
<Mike`> I haven't had the guts to try the End key yet.