FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flowers for Algernon

rpgman451
Now this was a very sad story.

Charlie Gordon is somewhat in his 30's and has Down syndrome. The whole story are progress report entries. In the beginning, He spells things phonetically(how their pronounced). Now He has a surgery to make him smarter, but there's a side effect that Charlie has discovered, It decreases his IQ to below what it had originally had been. He calls this the Algernon Gordon Effect. When he writes the document about it, He signs, for the first time in his life, "Charles Gordon". I really don't want to continue, Because I think I'm going to cry, lol Crying or Very sad
Blaster
I read this last year. Sad story it is. Its also a really good story in my personal opion.
rpgman451
I read it sometime 2006-2007 can't remember, but I remember finishing ahead of my class(still in school).
Blaster
Yea also try not to get rushing into posting. There is actually a forum for lititure. So check out the catorgories before posting anymore. Just thought i woul warn you.
Agent ME
I read the story in 8th grade - however, I did it when I was looking through our literature book randomly when I was bored - we never read it as a class, I was the only one who read it. The English classes only read about 2 stories and a bunch of poetry. You'd think they'd make us read the good stories in it.

When was the story written anyway?
Aless
This will get moved eventually, but...

It's good book that really makes people think. They made you read it in middle school so that people can come to realise that mentally handicapped people have the same feelings and emotions as everyone else.
littletomi714
rpgman451 wrote:
Now this was a very sad story.

Charlie Gordon is somewhat in his 30's and has Down syndrome. The whole story are progress report entries. In the beginning, He spells things phonetically(how their pronounced). Now He has a surgery to make him smarter, but there's a side effect that Charlie has discovered, It decreases his IQ to below what it had originally had been. He calls this the Algernon Gordon Effect. When he writes the document about it, He signs, for the first time in his life, "Charles Gordon". I really don't want to continue, Because I think I'm going to cry, lol Crying or Very sad

I had to read this as a mandatory book for my 7th grade class. It was boring at first, but yea, I understood what you meant. Poor guy, I can't remember: was there a happy ending?
Arseniy
I read it but I don't remember who wrote it. Maybe Breadbery?
I liked that story. It's fine but really sad.
Petee
Very sad book. I read it in I think 8th grade. After we finished reading the book we got to watch the movie in class. That was pretty cool, though still really sad. Makes you really think about life.
Blaster
Yea it does really make you think about life and the people that have disesas. I feel really sad for these people that can't live a normal life. And watched both the movie and read the book. Both in 8th grade Razz
HoboPelican
Finally moved to literature.
johanfh
I read it a couple of times and I always feel moved by it. It was written by Dani๋l Keyes. I feel especially sad for Charlie when he tells about life in the factory and his colleagues playing jokes on him.

I googled a little and found the whole story here

JohanFH
sondosia
I read it in 7th grade English class. It was a very odd book and I'm not sure I understood it completely at that age. It was a bit traumatizing, too. I should probably reread it so that I can capture the full meaning of it.

~Mimzy
riv_
I think the thing that blows me away about this story is that, like the main character, I just assumed he'd be happier when he was "smarter". That being able to read, write, communicate, like the people around him would be fulfiling and rewarding.
This book made me question those assumptions.
ddukki
This was the first short story, really anything that I read, that made me want to cry. Now, of course it was in eighth grade, but it touched me in no way that any other piece of literature (except for maybe Of Mice and Men) has. Good plot development and I e/sy(?)mpathized with the character.
Crazy_Canuck
riv_ wrote:
This book made me question those assumptions.

I think any book that makes you question your assumptions is a good one. Flowers for Algernon is definitely one such book. I'm glad to see it is still being read by young students ... I think it was probably written in the 60s or 70s, wasn't it?

Edited: ahhh, according to Wikipedia:
Flowers for Algernon was "originally published as a novelette in the April 1959 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, winning a Hugo award for Best Short Fiction in 1960. It was later extended into a full-length novel under the same title, which won the Nebula Award for Best Novel, awarded by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, in 1966."

Now, is the OP referring to the "novelette" or the full-length novel?
linangan
I've wanted to read it ever since 1968 when I saw the movie that was based on this book. Another movie starred Cliff Robertson in the starring role as Charly Gordon, a mentally retarded man in his 30's. I thought Robertson did an awesome job. Now that I've read the book, my next movie from Netflix is Charly. It will be interesting to see how the movies and book compare.

Charly's emotional growth does not keep pace with his intellectual development. Memories from his childhood were now accessible to him in vivid detail and he has to try to deal with them. There are other things he's not emotionally ready to handle, such as relationships, especially those with women.

I'm glad I read Flowers for Algernon and highly recommend it. If you're looking for a mild science fiction that's interesting and quick to read, with emotional charge, this is a perfect choice.
tijn01
I remember reading this book in school. I can't remember what it was about, but I do remember it was very moving.
megwings
I had to read this in junior high. It was pretty heart breaking. :/