FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Office 2007

Tony The Tiger
Why do Word and Excel 2007 have to go through lengthy configurations before opening up?
mOrpheuS
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Why do Word and Excel 2007 have to go through lengthy configurations before opening up?

What configurations are you talking about ?
I don't remember having to go through any.
It's just the same old "double-click and start working" ...

Got any screenshots ?

Is the configuration related to upgrade from an earlier version of Office ?
Talk2Tom11
Tony The Tiger wrote:

I too am confused about what you mean by lengthy configurations. I feel 2007 actually starts up a little but faster then 2003 did. Is this a first time after installation thing?
asianwannabe999
I know what you're talking about. The first time I opened up any of the office 07 applications they "configured" for a little while. The second time I opened up office, only excel and word configured again. The third time I opened them none of the office suite popped open that box. I think it configures any time you update office. But that's just a guess.
ssthanapati
Ok a bit out of the topic but in Office 2007 I don't find microsoft frontpage. Was it removed?????
blueray
Hmm... This should be removed and was replaced with Expression web.
You can test it with microosft test lab.

[REF:] http://www.microsoft.com/technet/traincert/virtuallab/default.mspx
tony
i am not sure what you are talking about either. of course i have only used office 2007 a couple times as open-office is free and just as good.
internetjobs
is he talking about, that there is lot of options available in ms office 2007, it is very simple to use if we study that option, we can use it in simple, also there is lot of support to graphics.
dac_nip
personally, i recommend not to use office 2007. aside from the vast resouces it eats to bug down your system, most of the offices still don't use it. I would have love it if it is a lot faster and use relatively low memory. Well, that's just my opinion after trying it in my computer. Usually, I go for functionality not for the design.. Very Happy
ssthanapati
Well I installed Office 2007 few days back but i cant find Expression web. Is it not a part of d standard install package. I mean i need 2 select it 2 get it installed or wat?
Shake
They are Microsoft products. What do you expect of them?
dule
bah this new office sux pretty hard to me. i just can't get used to the new toolbars. old 2k3 rocks.
infobankr
If you haven't tried OpenOffice - try it now! Its better than M$ office and its free! I use NeoOffice on the Mac.
orcaz
The configuration only happened to me on the first startup of Office 2007. There is no other popups after that. IMO, Openoffice takes up quite a lot of memory, as it loads up as a suite, instead of individual applications.
_AVG_
Er, a question regarding Microsoft Office.

Is it still free?
mOrpheuS
_AVG_ wrote:

Is it still free?

Was it ever ? Confused
_AVG_
mOrpheuS wrote:
_AVG_ wrote:

Is it still free?

Was it ever ? Confused

Yes, I think that last year, you could download it for free or something.
corey
Its never been free. Office is what Microsoft has been making its money off, not the OS, until Xbox became popular. Office is a $400 product.
{name here}
_AVG_ wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:
_AVG_ wrote:

Is it still free?

Was it ever ? Confused

Yes, I think that last year, you could download it for free or something.

That was probably a beta or something.
Tony The Tiger
tony wrote:
i am not sure what you are talking about either. of course i have only used office 2007 a couple times as open-office is free and just as good.

It seems not to be doing the annoying configuration right now. I will reboot tomorrow and report back.
VidE
MS has created a whole new suite of Web development tools under the name 'Expression'. I guess it replaces Front Page. This includes graphic design and more development oriented tools.

I believe you can still download free trial versions, just google microsoft expression.
Tony The Tiger
asianwannabe999 wrote:
I know what you're talking about. The first time I opened up any of the office 07 applications they "configured" for a little while. The second time I opened up office, only excel and word configured again. The third time I opened them none of the office suite popped open that box. I think it configures any time you update office. But that's just a guess.

I think you might be right about the fact that it reconfigures whenever you update office. I had thought it would happen again if I rebooted. It did not. I will watch for updates and recheck afterwards.
welshsteve
_AVG_ wrote:

Is it still free?

I think you can probably get Office 95 for free now LOL Somebody will be giving it away somewhere LOL

You can get a trial version of Office 2007 for free. The trial lasts 60 days.

If you can't afford to shell out hundreds of pounds then you should consider OpenOffice. But if you do really want MS Office 2007, then why not sign up for Microsoft Action Pack - https://partner.microsoft.com/UK/40016455. It costs £200 a year, and you get ALL the latest software from Microsoft. Although this is really aimed at small to medium sized businesses.
Arnie
Expression (mentioned a few posts above) is supposed to replace Adobe's Creative Suite. Microsoft has developed a Flash-like format called Silverlight.
welshsteve
Arnie wrote:
Expression (mentioned a few posts above) is supposed to replace Adobe's Creative Suite. Microsoft has developed a Flash-like format called Silverlight.

They've made quite a bit of advancement with the new expression range etc. FrontPage was awful. I use the Visual Web Developer Express Edition and I think it's a very good program.
_AVG_
welshsteve wrote:
_AVG_ wrote:

Is it still free?

I think you can probably get Office 95 for free now LOL Somebody will be giving it away somewhere LOL

You can get a trial version of Office 2007 for free. The trial lasts 60 days.

If you can't afford to shell out hundreds of pounds then you should consider OpenOffice. But if you do really want MS Office 2007, then why not sign up for Microsoft Action Pack - https://partner.microsoft.com/UK/40016455. It costs £200 a year, and you get ALL the latest software from Microsoft. Although this is really aimed at small to medium sized businesses.

You mentioned OpenOffice. What exactly is that?
welshsteve
OpenOffice is a Open Source office suite, and as it is Open Source, it is available to anyone for free. You'll be surprised at how complex it is considering it is free. It's well worth considering

http://www.openoffice.org/
_AVG_
welshsteve wrote:
OpenOffice is a Open Source office suite, and as it is Open Source, it is available to anyone for free. You'll be surprised at how complex it is considering it is free. It's well worth considering

http://www.openoffice.org/

Wow~! That is amazing! I wonder why they don't charge for it. Thanks anyway Very Happy
welshsteve
You're welcome Very Happy

Open source basically means it is developed not by any one individual or team. It is programmed by anybody willing to have a go at it. Because of this, the company that owns the software have no development overheads.
jmwarshay
My son uses Open Office even though he could have purchased MS Office at a student price from the university. My daughter has a Mac and was using Open Office, but she may have broken down and purchased MS Office from her university.

My employer just got me Office 2007. The toolbars have been combined with the menus and are now referred to as "ribbons". Getting used to the new version takes time. It's as if someone rearranged your clothes and dishes. All of the things are there, but are hard to find. There is a learning curve. I have the older versions at home and will not pay to change them.
tomahawk19
Has anyone thought about the benefits the new file format has though? Or does anyone here know what the new file format is? For those of you who don't know, the file format has changed to an XML format, where all you have to do is rename a .docx file to .zip, unzip the file and you can see all of the formatting code and images in full size, etc. in the folder. It's about time they stepped to something like that. This makes it much easier to write a document or letter in Word and place it on the web. The improvements in all aspects of 2007 over 2003 are awesome. I currently run 07 on all of my machines, and am looking forward to updates.
spykE
tomahawk19 wrote:
Has anyone thought about the benefits the new file format has though? Or does anyone here know what the new file format is? For those of you who don't know, the file format has changed to an XML format, where all you have to do is rename a .docx file to .zip, unzip the file and you can see all of the formatting code and images in full size, etc. in the folder. It's about time they stepped to something like that. This makes it much easier to write a document or letter in Word and place it on the web. The improvements in all aspects of 2007 over 2003 are awesome. I currently run 07 on all of my machines, and am looking forward to updates.

Didn't know about this yet, about to try it out now, thanks Wink.
budazz
dac_nip wrote:
personally, i recommend not to use office 2007. aside from the vast resouces it eats to bug down your system, most of the offices still don't use it. I would have love it if it is a lot faster and use relatively low memory. Well, that's just my opinion after trying it in my computer. Usually, I go for functionality not for the design.. Very Happy

one thing when saving the doc. files,,,,,, it will save as docx / w/c is not compatible to the lower MS office...... and not all people has the MSOFFICE 2007....... so still not recommended ti use
orcaz
budazz wrote:

one thing when saving the doc. files,,,,,, it will save as docx / w/c is not compatible to the lower MS office...... and not all people has the MSOFFICE 2007....... so still not recommended ti use

MS Office 07 is able to save as the older format .doc. Just change the settings to save it as .doc by default if you share your word documents frequently.
YellowShadow
I didn't see any configurations. I personally love the new UI. Its much easier to use once you get the hang of it. The only thing I hate is the default font. I don't like it.
welshsteve
YellowShadow wrote:
...The only thing I hate is the default font. I don't like it.

Is your default "Calibri"? I quite like it. I'm a fan of Verdana, and this one is similar. YOu can always change your default though. Smile
cosmicx
The new file size reduces a lot compare to the older version.
Besides that, just to highlight, you can download an add-in from Microsoft, to save or publish your document in PDF format.

Compability Pack:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

PDF Add-in:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F1FC413C-6D89-4F15-991B-63B07BA5F2E5&displaylang=en
orcaz
YellowShadow wrote:
I didn't see any configurations. I personally love the new UI. Its much easier to use once you get the hang of it. The only thing I hate is the default font. I don't like it.

click on the office button and click word options. Frm there you can configure ur Office 2007 to save as .doc
Tony The Tiger
tomahawk19 wrote:

Could you elaborate on this .zip conversion adaptability. I am not sure I understand the possibilities of the new Office 2007 world. It seems like I may have some new powerful options available.