FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why do people start topics and/or post replies here?

Why do people start topics and/or post replies here?
To find an answer to a question
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
To show how clever they are
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
To change other people's ideas
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
To get their own ideas challenged or changed
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
To get or keep a discussion or argument going
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

make_life_better
Why do people start topics or post replies to other topics here? I'd like to know. In fact, I started a topic here to find out, so it's a bit recursive in my case. But that's another story.

If you are just replying to other's posts, why do you do it? Did the previous posts agree with you and you want to join in and share support? Or did they drive you to post a reply because they were so obviously wrong or just made you mad so you had to jump into the argument?

If you started a new topic here, why did you do it? Did the thread work out the way you thought it might, or did it go off on unexpected tangents? Was is short-lived, or did it stretch out over weeks and months and many pages? Were you pleased or disappointed with the result?

I am guessing that many people do it to show how clever they are, or to broadcast their beliefs, biases, or whatever. Or maybe just to be outrageous in the hope of starting an interesting thread.

I'll keep my own reasons to myself for now - they are varied of course, and not that simple. The poll is of course too simplistic - but might be interesting anyway.
UlrikeSE
I like to question others in hope they'll question themselves, and repeat the same process back.

I don't like arguing semantics and contributing to circular discussions. If someone argues something silly with me I usually walk away from the thread.
a_dubDesign
make_life_better wrote:
Why do people start topics or post replies to other topics here? I'd like to know.

To keep my free hosting Smile

For real though, I generally post just to share my two cents on the topic. Nothing about how clever I am, or how wrong other people are. However there have been times where I post just because somebody said something that really pissed me off. Surprisingly (actually not to surprisingly for people who know me) it has historically been other christians that have pissed me off the most, and I've wanted it to be known that what was said is not universal to all people who carrying the label christian. I haven't had any of those posts in quite a while though.

make_life_better wrote:
If you started a new topic here, why did you do it? Did the thread work out the way you thought it might, or did it go off on unexpected tangents? Was is short-lived, or did it stretch out over weeks and months and many pages? Were you pleased or disappointed with the result?

If i recall correctly, I've only started one thread, and that was because I needed to get some "frequently asked questions" for a talk that I was going to be giving. It went pretty well for a little bit but then quickly hijacked its way to another argument about Islam, which seemed to be a reoccuring theme around here for a while. Might still be actually, I haven't been posting or reading much since that little trend started. There were a couple of good responses, but overall I was a little disappointed.
mike1reynolds
Other than me I haven't seen any criticism of Islam in quite awhile. When I first got here there was a lot of it, but it didn't look much like my arguments and those statements have completely died out from what I've seen around here.
rheanna
Because it's fun ;o) and educational Laughing Twisted Evil And we have to keep our points going. Gives you something else to read rather then gossip. Meant to vote 1 down.. but too late.
palavra
my first aim to make english practice
a_dubDesign
palavra wrote:

camboida, rock out man! I never even thought about how good message boards could be to learn and practice english. Since you're practicing it should technically be "my first aim is to practice english"
rheanna
Yeah, your sentence is fragmented and you have no punctuation or capitalization.

Quote:

Should be,

My first aim on the forum is to practice my English skills.

Laughing
a_dubDesign
rheanna wrote:
Yeah, your sentence is fragmented and you have no punctuation or capitalization.

psh... punctuation and capitalization are so overrated Smile
rheanna
I stink at English and Grammer so I'm not perfect. Laughing
make_life_better
I think that learning English from these forums is a great idea. What you will get is a real view of what English really is - from the native speaking and rather pedantic posters to the non-native people who are using and abusing it in novel ways and on to weakest and newest English users. English, perhaps more than any other language in history, is a dynamic and living thing, growing and being extended, broken down and reconstructed in many different ways round the world. It is not the staid and formal thing you find in some text books.

Sometimes I write complex English. Sometimes my words are long. Sometimes my sentences are long. Some people may find my words hard to read or understand. For me this is sad. I would like to make my words clear and easy for all. But it is then hard for me to say what I mean. Sometimes a complex thought cannot be broken into small simple parts without damaging or hiding the meaning. So sometimes I have little choice but to write in my normal and possibly complex or elaborate style; knowing all the time that by the way that I am writing I may be making it harder for others who may not be native English speakers. It's a trade-off.

An interesting question is whether and when to "correct" people's mistakes. I am always torn both ways on this. I am quite happy to just accept other people's "bad" English because the meaning is usually quite clear. In such cases, there is often no need for a correction. But that overlooks the real need of those who are looking to improve their English - they may really want to know when they are making the same mistake repeatedly. Maybe the answer is just to send some corrections, suggestions or hints off-thread so they are not paraded in front of everybody.
Bikerman
I post for two reasons:
a) To retain my free hosting account
b) I'm a teacher/lecturer and we are all pedagogues at heart (we like teaching). I enjoy a good debate and post in philosophy/religion and world news for interaction and lively debate.

I post in the science forums more as a teacher than a debater (although I am no scientist and I freely admit there are certainly posters out there with greater knowledge and experience than me). I am convinced that public awareness, knowledge and acceptance of science in general is at far too low a level for comfort. We live in a world which requires technical understanding and scientific awareness from us and yet we are largely controlled by a political class that seems to revel in it's own scientific ignorance as if it were a badge of honour. How can legislators/politicians make informed and wise decisions about such issues as genetic engineering/cloning, space exploration, allocation of medical and other resources, climate change, simple communication of statistics and figures, nuclear power and so on if they don't have at least a basic understanding of scientific method?
How can the wider population be sure that they are not being conned by unscrupulous operators and vested interests if they are unable to interpret even the simplest of statistics?
For this reason I think it is incumbent on those who have the education, time and opportunity, to do what they can to raise the general level of science awareness in the population and stand up against misinformation, misrepresentation, exploitation and sheer ignorance wherever they meet it.

It sounds like a rather pompous and arrogant mission statement, I know, but I genuinely think that this is a very important issue, and I am prepared to devote large amounts of time to posting information, guidance, suggestions and links to further information/people to anyone requesting it. I also pick up what I perceive to be fallacious and/or misleading posts in the science forum where possible, and generally try to encourage thought/analysis and debate based on scientific principles and method rather than simple opinion and prejudice (which there is no shortage of and, I think, needs no encouragement).

So there you have it - an evangelist for science and a compulsive teacher.
a_dubDesign
make_life_better wrote:
so they are not paraded in front of everybody.

I hope thats not how I came off. If I did, I apologize.
{name here}
Well, because I'm a devil's advocate, and when you combine that with the ability to draw lengthy descriptions and in depth conversations that this forum is capable of I don't know why I don't post here more often.