FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think about this configuration?

Helios
For a friend of mine...

Updated
CPU: Intel C2D E6300 (220$)
CPU cooler: AC Freezer 7 Pro (34$)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (140$)
Memory: OCZ CL4 800MHz 2048MB XTC (dual channel, obviously) (275$)
HDD: Westren Digital WD1600JS 160GB (64$)
Display card: XFX 8800GTS 320MB (409$)
PSU: Enermax Liberty 400W (94$)
Case: HEC 6A19 (40$)

Original prices are in New Israeli Shekels (yes, I noticed hardware is rather expensive here).
diduknowthat
It's a great system, probably will play every single game out there right now at max. Are you planning to OC it anytime soon?
Helios
Maybe I'll OC it for him. Not much though, the cooling isn't that good...
Anyway, if you have any ideas on how to improve this rig but still remain in the budget limits, please post them here Smile
asianwannabe999
You might want another 1gb stick of ram in there. 1 gig's just not gonna cut it these days. However, I don't know how you could manage that without going over your budget by a hundred bucks, and since all the other hardware is top-notch you may not need the extra ram.
What you could do instead of buying the 88 is wait a while and in the meantime get the guy sli'd 7600GT's or something comparable. I don't know the comparisons between 2 76gt's to an 88gts but i'd look it up. You're probably not losing that much noticeable performance by doing that. That will save you about a 110 bucks on average. Then later, get the 88 when the prices come down after the 86's come out. Just a suggestion.
Helios
The problem will pop up later: what to do with the two 7600's ?
I mean, it's a pain in the arse to sell hardware.
diduknowthat
asianwannabe999 wrote:
You might want another 1gb stick of ram in there. 1 gig's just not gonna cut it these days. However, I don't know how you could manage that without going over your budget by a hundred bucks, and since all the other hardware is top-notch you may not need the extra ram.
What you could do instead of buying the 88 is wait a while and in the meantime get the guy sli'd 7600GT's or something comparable. I don't know the comparisons between 2 76gt's to an 88gts but i'd look it up. You're probably not losing that much noticeable performance by doing that. That will save you about a 110 bucks on average. Then later, get the 88 when the prices come down after the 86's come out. Just a suggestion.

No, there is a large difference between two 7600gt's and one 8800gts. SLI, IMO, was never a good deal. You pay double for less than double the performance. In this case, definetly go with one 8800GTS, it will yield MUCH better performance.
ForceRun
I would make sure of however much ram you have (2GB is Ideal) to run it Duel Channeled (2 Sticks), that simply doubles the speed. I would opt for a 250 or 320 GB Hard drive, and cut the video card down to the new 8800GTS 320MB which has most of the power of the big brother but only cost $320 from Neweeg.com. Next I would drop the AC Freezer or what ever and get a Zalman 7900 Cooler for $40 it cools almost as good as a basic watercooling kit, but it is a air cooler.

Prices are USD, so I don't know what they are for you, SLi on 7 Serise is just dumb compared to the power of the a single GeForce 8.
william
I'm going to have to agree with ForceRun here. The graphics card you're settling for is really powerful, but the slightly lower one will suffice. Although that single card would be a much better value than the 7 series single (or SLI for that matter), it just might be too much. The 320 MB 8800GTS will get you really nice performance (I've actually tried it) and go easy on your wallet. When you opt the 320 MB 8800GTS, you then have enough cash for another gigabyte of RAM as well as a little more cash for other things. (Such as upgrading the hard drive). I'm also going to have to agree on the cooling; however either one would do well. And just one more thing; I would also say that if upgrades are planned, then the PSU should be slightly higher.

Other than that, it's a really nice system. Very Happy
Helios
Yeah, I was also thinking about the 320MB version...
Updated the list.
pll
If you are an hardcore player with all the latest games I would opt for better Hard-Drive, but the other things are enough I think. Maybe the video card will need to be changed later (in about 1 year).
TheGeek
I would go for the E4300 instead of the 6300 since it's $10 cheaper (US$) and has shown to overclock the same as the 6300 if not better in some tests
Jaan
Holy shit it's like $1200 didn't know you get get a top notch pc for that little nowadays!!!
Zyphrius
One issue is that vid card requires a minimum of a 400WATT Power Supply and that is all you have in this config, you have to take into account all the power requirements of you system.

I would recommend that you upgrade that power supply to the Enermax 535WATT, it will definetly handle all the power requirements of your system.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15533&vpn=EG565P-VE%20FMA%20(VALUE)&manufacture=ENERMAX

I would also recommend reconsidering the OZC ram, I have run into issues with that ram at times, not functioning properly, causing the computer to restart.

Also for your CPU cooler I would recommend going with a Zalman

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18621&vpn=CNPS9500%20AM2&manufacture=ZALMAN%20TECH

Good luck!!

Edit: that site i referenced is a Canadian site, so you will need to convert the prices.
Helios
I don't care about the power. 400 watts... 500 watts... not important.
Stable 20 amperes on the 12v rail are enough for that video card.
Also, this Zalman cooler is much much more expensive, isn't it?
(34$ vs. 65$)
About the OCZ memory - well, it's a good company. If the guy recieves "bad" memory, he can just go and switch it (lifetime warranty).

lol @ Jaan.... 1200$ isn't "little". But that depends. Razz
@TheGeek, I need to check this one out...
@pll, 160GB is enough for him. He prefers top performance over extra storage.
aningbo
isn't that a little tooooooooooooo expensive for a PC!!!?? seriously.
Godknown
Well, to be fully honest, that isn't a computer I would buy. I'm saving up for probably the most expensive rig possible, and there are going to be even newer stuff coming out--another reason to be afraid of buying a computer.

I would recommend upgrading some stuff if your friend plans on gaming with it. It'll do good as a medium/high-end PC, but I'm looking for ultra PCs, and this doesn't seem to be one of them.

I don't know enough about this computer to tell you yes or no, but for me, it is a no. The video card is the only thing I saw mentionable besides maybe the processor.
psycosquirrel
Good choice on not getting SLI.

7600GT SLI < 7900GT.

Anyways, it looks good. If you plan on overclocking, you may want to consider faster RAM. The FSB and the RAM clocks have to match with the 965p chipset, so a higher RAM clock will always give you good headroom for overclocking. If you do not plan on overclocking though, skip it.

You may want to get a better hard drive too, load times are going to suck. Go with the 150Gb Raptor if you can. Otherwise, a Spinpoint or Caviar with a lot of cache (16Mb) should do good enough.

You may want to consider getting a cheap stick of 1.9v RAM to POST with so that you can set the vdimm to 2.1v for the OCZ though. I know the older revisions had problems with booting with 2.1v RAM, so if you can be sure you get the ga965p-ds3 rev3.3, you probably don't need to get it.

Overall, it looks good.
smallboy
~$2.2k,
AM2 X2 5200 + Asus M2NPV-VM $515
Kingston DDR2 667 2*1GB $190
Hitachi 320GB Sata2 $138
Asus 8800GTX PCIE $979
Samsung 18x DVDRW $50
Topower 700w SLI $226
Coolermaster Elite 331 $69
---------------------------------------------------------
$2167

newer and faster,
you might one to insatll vista os to maximize performance of ur rig.
psycosquirrel
That is your pricing though, pricing is different where Helios is.

Also, spending $500 on an AMD processor is just dumb at this point. If you are going to spend that much, go quad with a QX6600 or something...
diduknowthat
I agree with the others, the powersupply is not powerful enough. Even though it has 20 amps on both of the 12v rails, it can only deliver a maximum of 30 amps combined. The 8800GTS is a VERY powerhungry card.
Helios
Anyway, thanks guys. In the end he decided to go with this configuration (main post).
965-ds3 rev.3.3 btw Wink
Thanks again for the many advices. Very Happy
Now waiting for everything to arrive so we can build this sucker Razz
jay84h
Helios wrote:
I don't care about the power. 400 watts... 500 watts... not important.
Stable 20 amperes on the 12v rail are enough for that video card.
Also, this Zalman cooler is much much more expensive, isn't it?
(34$ vs. 65$)
About the OCZ memory - well, it's a good company. If the guy recieves "bad" memory, he can just go and switch it (lifetime warranty).

lol @ Jaan.... 1200$ isn't "little". But that depends. Razz
@TheGeek, I need to check this one out...
@pll, 160GB is enough for him. He prefers top performance over extra storage.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's hilarious, hahaha! You will care about the power supply once your computer burns out because it will be too much power to handle for that PSU.
Helios
First of all, it's not my computer, I already have a new one.
In any case, he can add few more dollars and buy a better PSU. That's not and wasn't the issue.
Glad I made you laugh though...Razz BTW, switch that avatar, we have small children in this forum.

Anyway, thanks for the advices... this thread should be locked I guess.
-close-