FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fonts and the Internet

Mosquito.Tyler
If one were to code a text element to be displayed in a certain font, and the viewer does not have that font on their machine, then the browser automatically assigns a default font.

I'm curious if there's a way to make a browser download a font? Should I just have a download link and hope my viewers download and install the font? Or perhaps just use images in place of text?

Recommendations please! Smile
Scorpio
Better to use an image with your choice of font, if it is to be used in a limited manner

If you use it site wide, then images would clearly not be a good idea.

But remember, users wont download a specific font to view your site unless your site is offering some unique content..
If not, they ll jus move to the next site that comes along
GB
This is definitely one of the things that annoys me the most! I wish we could use more fonts.

Most recently, I've dealt with the problem by using an image of the text for the head sections of the website I'm working on. Since these are repeated throughout the site, I only need to upload the image once and then link to it where ever I need it. If you do this, however, please be sure to set the alt tag so that if the user has images turned off or a slow computer, they'll at least know what the content of the image is.
Mosquito.Tyler
Good advice, Thank you both! Very Happy
Dragate
Go find the TFF file (font file)

and place it in the folder, I'm pretty sure you can make them download it with a simple link.

Fonts are in (xp) control panel -> appearances and themes -> on the left side menu, fonts~

good luck and have fun with that!
littlegiant
In my humble opinion, people are far too busy to download special fonts just to view your site the way you intended. I'd go with Scorpio's suggestion and use an image (when feasible).