FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gnome 2.18

Azmo
Quote:
GNOME 2.18 is out, on time as usual. The top-class free desktop for the masses looks and feels better than ever. This is another progressive release in our road to perfection. It integrates another load of improvements done in the visual design, the performance of the desktop components, and the growing collection of integrated applications. The web browser and the themeable window manager are two good examples to check.

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.18/notes/en/

Could be fun Very Happy
Arno v. Lumig
Now just get the FreeBSD porting team to port it and I'll have something to compile Smile
{name here}
It looks nicer than when I used to use it a few months ago, but I think I'll stick to rio if I ever return to *nix.
simplyw00x
I'm running 2.8 and am noticing nothing new except some minor improvements to the gtk engine.

Come on GNOME, wherre's mathusalem? GNOME 3.0? Task-based workflow? Circular menus? GL-accelerated GTK? Seriously, did 2.18 really take 6 months?
falconfx
I have been using Gnome for some time and found it fast and not difficult to use.

New releases are always appreciated! Smile So don't blame the developers if it took 6 months or if they didn't introduce any "new" feature.

It would be better to comunicate your wishes to the team, so that they will be inserted in a newer release Wink

Bye
billy
Gnome has always been slow in development, yet it has always been my favourite. I think it is still superior to any other DE out there, GTK > Qt any day.

They just need to get work a little harder lol
simplyw00x
Quote:
Gnome has always been slow in development, yet it has always been my favourite. I think it is still superior to any other DE out there, GTK > Qt any day.

I really agree; I just think KDE is a little too windows-y/non-serious for my needs (obviously subjective here).

The problem with GNOME is that the developers there, like the Ubuntu devs, are incredibly conservative. For them, cer-azy new features are new screen-reading software or a new panel applet. I became really excited with the GNOME 3.0 discussion on gnome.org, but predictably that has all fallen by the wayside as they realise that shifting paradigms and moving on from 20-year-old computing metaphors is a bit too revolutionary. This is the same kind of attitude that got every single MP3-played company utterly defeated by Apple, and this same attitude is prevalent among phone manufacturers too, and may see them all defeated by Apple as well.

Of course, Apple isn't thinking outside any boxes in OSX, but at least they're not afraid to break the folder metaphor on the iPod, or the voicemail one on the iPhone.
corey
I've always liked Gnome but, on distros that are even a bit edgy (like Debian Sid), it usually breaks X so bad on an upgrade, that I've been left with no GUI sometimes for weeks. There seems to be no thought toward new tools, either. Its good if you like what your machine can already do, but new software can be a pain to find or run in Gnome.
Commando_Sondre
It took some time, but, oh well, hopefully it was worth it. If not, XFCE or KDE, here I come. At least Beryl works like a dream on Sabayon with GNOME Razz
dac_nip
I'm still solid KDE. I was disappointed in gnome a year and a half ago, when the development was quite slow and the responses were delayed. It was my first time using linux with gnome as my DE, well..I must say I was not impressed much. I never tried it again though coz im quite satisfied with the way things are run in KDE now. I might as well check it again and redo those old impressions Very Happy
djclue917
billy wrote:

They just need to get work a little harder lol

How come? KParts anyone? Just take a look at how KDE evolved with each release up to 3.5.6. Yes I know that right now, KDE is really bloated compared to GNOME. GNOME is nice too, but the momentum in development is still isn't there. GNOME 3.0 is nowhere to be found.

I'm really looking forward to KDE4 because it's a lot leaner, faster, and a lot more beautiful that KDE 3.x. KDE4 is not just evolution, it's a revolution.

Also, the thing I hate about GNOME is that it's too simple. I mean come on. Take a look at Nautilus and Konqueror. The bread crumb-style navigation is also nice... But Konqueror, it conquers. It owns. It easily swallows Nautilus alive. Nonetheless, I'm not saying that KDE is perfect. I'm just saying that right now, considering the pace and momentum of the KDE4 development, and all the fuss and excitement about it, GNOME is just buried and hidden and just arises every 6 months to say "Hi! I'm still here.".
simplyw00x
Quote:
GNOME 3.0 is nowhere to be found.

It's been officially cancelled. Check the wiki if you don't believe me; the reason cited was that they'd prefer small incremental changes to planet-shifting.

Quote:
Also, the thing I hate about GNOME is that it's too simple. I mean come on.

They have admirable goals in separating uses into 'normal' and 'techie' users - there's a wealth of customisability available in GNOME, but it doesn't clog up the main preferences windows. Ok, some say this is a bug and not a feature, but that's a problem with the execution rather than the idea.