FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Introduce Me To YOUR Music

guissmo
I don't have a specific genre for music. I like music from all different genres. I just don't know "what factor" I'm looking for these music. I think it's the style of the band. I heard Massive Attack and Spin Doctors and liked these.

Anyway, I'm planning to expand my playlist. Could you make any suggestions on what I'd like. Tell me its genre too so I know which kind I'm leaning into right now. Smile
mattchun
If you are a teenager like me, I introduce you to some rap like Eminem, Puff Daddy and Jay-Z
guissmo
Yes, I am.

Could you give me specific song titles that "could get me hooked" to the band or something?
Blu_Spykz
Hello : This is Linkin Park (ok not in person) - the multi-platinum band from Calif. US.

They have an album out in 2 months time (15th may for US, 14th May for everywhere else).

If you like heavy beats, nice melody, rap and rock intwined, and a combination of riffs, good drums, and beats and samples, I'd listen to songs such as "Somewhere I Belong" or "In The End".

If you prefer heavier music - Listen to "Crawling", "By Myself" or "Hit the Floor".

And if you prefer mainly rapping, I'd listen to "A Place For My Head" or "Nobody's Listening".

A Very versatile band.
Chalchihuitlicue
My favourite bands are all very versatile as far as sound and genre, so I guess I'll give a quick introduction to a couple of them. (Just a warning, they're all Japanese.)

First off, Schwarz Stein, and any works by its two members post-Schwarz Stein. Schwarz Stein was a darkwave group made up of Kaya on vocals and Hora on synthesizer, and they were around from about 2001 to 2004.

The songs that really got me hooked on Schwarz Stein were "Queen of Decadence" because I liked its classical feel, and "Perfect Garden", because I think that song is beautiful and incredibly meaningful. If you're in the mood for something heavier, there are songs like "Creeper" and "Bio Genesis" that are darker and heavier (interesting to note: "Creeper" is the only Schwarz Stein song with a non-synthesized instrument). There are also lighter sounding songs, like "Transient". None of it's got a very happy mood, though, and some of the lyrics are a bit on the demented side if you look up translations.

Kaya and Hora have both moved on to solo projects, though both of them are still keeping with the same kind of sound Schwarz Stein had. They reunited in the spring of last year as Another Cell, but that album is fairly unimpressive compared to Schwarz Stein in general, and with some of their solo songs. Songs I'd recommend from their solo releases: (Kaya) Paradise Lost, Kaleidoscope, Psycho Butterfly, Walküre, Glitter Arch, remains of mind. (Hora) Modulate God, Inner Universe, Ray, Euphoria, Ignition, Future Life.

Secondly, Malice Mizer. (This band was around from about 1992 until 2001, for anyone who's curious.) The first vocalist (Tetsu) was kind of crappy, but I adore anything by either of the following vocalists (Gackt and Klaha). If you're looking for some really interesting 80's style gothic rock, try anything from the Tetsu-era, particularly "Speed of Desperate" or "Kioku to Sora". One of my particular favorites, though it's a lot slower and softer, is "E-GE ~ umi ni sasagu ~ ".

For a lighter, more pop (but still somewhat gothic) tone, anything from the Gackt-era is good. The band also ventured a little bit toward Schwarz Stein-esque darkwave during this period, with some awesome songs like "Illuminati" (and the [P-type] mix of it) and "Ju te veux". "Transylvania" and "Shi no Butou ~ A Romance of the Cendrillion ~" are also favourites of mine. "Bois de merveilles" pwns all, though, even if it is less than two minutes long.

When Klaha became vocalist, the band switched to a really dark sound and look... I like this era a lot because I enjoy opera, and Klaha has a really operatic-sounding voice. The band did mainly three types of songs during this time: soft, light (but still gothic) songs like "Gardenia", slow, really sad songs like "Mayonaka ni Kawashita Yakusoku", and fast, heavy songs like "Beast of Blood" and "Gensou Rakuen".

I'll come back and post about a few others later.
missdixy
Bright Eyes is a good band. They're clssified as indie because their music sounds like different genres. They do a lot of experimenting, too. I suggest the song "Lover I Don't Have to Love" by them. Their lead singer is a lyrical genius.
Macko112
Dashboard Confessional, Muse, FM Static, Nonpoint, Motion City Soundtrack, Better than Ezra, Oasis, The Rocket Summer, Saves the Day, Sublime. For rap, Lil' Flip. For crazy guitaring, Dragonforce.

There are a lot of bands out there that don't get enough credit. These are just some of my favorites.
tileguy
I'm not sure if you will be able to get past the vocal stylings of these bands, but if you can, it's a pure adrenaline rush from the music.

If you want to give some good technical death metal a chance, check out some of these bands:

Necrophagist
Death
Augury
Martyr
Quo Vadis
Cannibal Corpse
Vader
Malevolent Creation

or, check out MY band, Wetwork. (a little shameless self-promotion never hurt anyone...lol)

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy!!!
Ennex
im more of a classic guy, Oasis, The Beatles, Coldplay etc.
Josso
Some people have difficulties actually deciding what they like at some point. The common mistake is to go for whats popular and get into those when your true taste in music could lie somewhere else and never be uncovered.

I'd suggest trying some of these for experimental puposes:
Aphex Twin
Squarepusher
Venetian Snares
Ceephax Acid Crew
μ-Ziq
Boards of Canada

Also try grabbing some stuff off Planet Mu, Warp and Rephlex - they are all record labels. That's my advise anyway.
Disaster-Pieces
mattchun wrote:
If you are a teenager like me, I introduce you to some rap like Eminem, Puff Daddy and Jay-Z

Rap sucks... You gotta go heavy were there is skill unlike rap! Slipknot, Cradle Of Filth and more.
What skills does rap have except poetry at a fast rate? all the rap songs i hear never have any kind of instruments in them except gay computer generated noises.
I don't mind classic,indie,rock,emo and there sub genres.
Daire
missdixy wrote:
Bright Eyes is a good band. They're clssified as indie because their music sounds like different genres. They do a lot of experimenting, too. I suggest the song "Lover I Don't Have to Love" by them. Their lead singer is a lyrical genius.

I;ve only gotten around to listening to 'I'm Wide Awake It's Morning' album and its class! At the bottom of everything is such a great song.

My favourite bands are:

Dropkick Murphys - Boston punk band. Heavily influenced by Oi! and Irish music.

Rancid - More punk, ska. Great band, And Out Come the Wolves is such a powerful album.

The Blizzards- Irish band. Not well known outside of here. Best debut album (A Public Display of Affection) I have heard in quite a while! Pop/Rock/Reggae sort of stuff.

Also like The Clash, The Ramones, The Offspring, AM Radio, Ash, Be Yuor Own Pet, Ben Folds, Bloc Part, Decemberists, DIRECTOR, Eels, Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire and The Go! Team. Among many others!

Disaster-Pieces wrote:
mattchun wrote:

Rap sucks... You gotta go heavy were there is skill unlike rap! Slipknot, Cradle Of Filth and more.
What skills does rap have except poetry at a fast rate? all the rap songs i hear never have any kind of instruments in them except gay computer generated noises.
I don't mind classic,indie,rock,emo and there sub genres.

Yes because there's no skill in rap? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I don't like it one little bit, but to say there is no talent or skill is ignorant.

And your just generalizing/stereotypicalising all rap, which as a so-called 'emo' I'd say you don't like.

Even though all Emo's are lil' gay fags! Twisted Evil
datter
Here are two things to consider;

1) My Morning Jacket - You can see their performance on Austin City Limits here on Google Video. You might get the feeling they're a country band from the first song since it has a bit of steel guitar in it, but they are not a country band at all. They just like to experiment. Mellow out (however you go about that) and give the show a watch, it's really very good.

2) Bright Eyes - A live performance (again on Austin City Limits) is here. I wouldn't say it's the "best" singing I've ever heard by Conner Oberst is a terrific song writer, so listen to the lyrics... that's the real point of it.

Enjoy

datter
Mouldylocks
I love irish music, you should check out flogging molly, th pogues, the dropkick murphys

otherwise, you should check out the toydolls, who are awsome!
really funny and creative. my alltime favourite as to be Rancid, though.

And my band (you can check it out at www.myspace.com/mouldylocks6 , who knows, you might like it) has this awsome irish song , it's punk but has this crazy violin thig that sounds really great, we played it for st patrick's day!
pudovkin
My suggestion (that speaks for itself): Liquidus Ambiento.
http://www.liquidusambiento.com.br/
Tuxy
Josso wrote:
Some people have difficulties actually deciding what they like at some point. The common mistake is to go for whats popular and get into those when your true taste in music could lie somewhere else and never be uncovered.

I'd suggest trying some of these for experimental puposes:
Aphex Twin
Squarepusher
Venetian Snares
Ceephax Acid Crew
μ-Ziq
Boards of Canada

Also try grabbing some stuff off Planet Mu, Warp and Rephlex - they are all record labels. That's my advise anyway.

Nice list Smile Maybe add Phalanx X too? Phalanx 7E - Pulse is my favourite

Btw szamár madár is awesome Very Happy
Helios
Well, there is a genre which I like listening to. Called Folk Metal.

Some bands you can try.
Many of them have MySpaces, so just search and listen to some songs they have on their pages.
I've also added youtube links to some of the bands (some are very amusing Razz).

Bathory
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=hDpc-831GPs
Týr - http://youtube.com/watch?v=MTJi5ImbB7g
Shaman - http://youtube.com/watch?v=PKUpMIRd3hA
Turisas - http://youtube.com/watch?v=LIM8CMEM2FY
Korpiklaani - http://youtube.com/watch?v=8vMJAQIXLks
Glittertind - ...
Equilibrium - http://youtube.com/watch?v=wnTHEQ_yAec
Vintersorg - ...
Einherjer - http://youtube.com/watch?v=V3xoV4rSe-k
Waylander - ...

Also this band: Arcturus - great, great music. Not Folk though.
Arcturus: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RNiEQCQw-kU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KEyy0tjGu9M

Maybe I'll add more later Wink
Scott
Quote:

Are you serious? Have you heard anything outside of mainstream rap? There are rap groups that use real instruments all the time. Almost all rap beats include samples of real instruments as well. A lot of rappers play instruments/produce as well.

Slipknot and Cradle of Filth are pretty awful bands in my opinion. I like a lot of heavy music, but they are far from skilled.

Quote:
Aphex Twin
Squarepusher
Venetian Snares
Ceephax Acid Crew
μ-Ziq
Boards of Canada

Those are all definitley great to listen to, especially if you want to hear something different. I'd recommend Prefuse 73 as well. He's a great electronic/hip-hop act.
CtrlAltDeleteDie
Radiohead - Songs: Paranoid Android, Creep, The Bends, Street Spirit (Fade Out), Karma Police

Pink Floyd - Songs: Echoes, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Money, Dogs

Beck - Songs: Paper Tiger, E-Pro, Lost Cause, Girl, Loser

Squarepusher - Songs: Beep Street, Squarepusher Theme, My Red Hot Car

Sigur Rós - Songs: Svefn-g-englar, Glosoli, Intro

Some other good ones are Aphex Twin, Coldplay, Bjork, and Portishead.
froginabox
Well, here's my humble additions!

the Liquid Tension Experiment (all their songs are amazing)
Lamb of God's first two albums
Dimmu Borgir (Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia and Stormblast esp.)
Zyklon
Jean-Luc Ponty
Frank Zappa
Skinless
Melechesh
Psyopus
Car Bomb

That's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head!
bigbadjohn
Hey There
Good to see you like all types of music. Must admit I'm the same. My only criteria is that the music must be melodic and if possible feature great musicianship.

One such artist who is greatly underrated is a guy called Stevie Salas, he takes elements of dance rythmns, funky grooves and adds his own unique guitar style, this guy is easily one of the best guitarist I have ever heard and his songs are nothing short of amazing.

Ive included his webpage address you will find 3 mp3s to listen to and download.

I'd also urge you to watch some of his videos they also are really good.

ANyway give him a go, good luck with your music hunting there is a lot out there undiscovered.

www.steviesalas.com
Ducksteina
I think Muse is great music.

Songs you should try:
- Starlight
- Time Is Running Out
- Map Of The Problematique

Muse are some kind of Rock - don't excactly know for sure, though...
mahoula
hello
listen to secret garden. it is unique
TheGustav
Be like me and keep your playlist strictly to music made pre-1990!

The 90's is known as the era where music started heading downhill, at it's all time low in the 2000's.

I tend to stick with solid 80's rock / metal / anything 80's.

Some music to get you hooked... Maybe... Probably, if you aren't one of those crazy people who don't like 80's music.

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
Ozzy Osbourne - Mr Crowley
Skid Row -Youth Gone Wild
Ted Nugent - Wango Tango
Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
Aerosmith - Dream On
Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like A Lady
Judas Priest - Breaking the Law
Judas Priest - Jawbreaker
Judas Priest - Blood Red Skies
Kiss - Lick It Up
Kiss - Strutter
Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
Motley Crue - Livewire
Queen - Show Must Go On
Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls
Ratt - Round and Round
Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane
Scorpions - No One Like You
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
Van Halen - Panama
Van Halen - Hot For Teacher
Warrant - Chery Pie

Hope you get hooked! Very Happy And don't fall for these other people's lies, don't get into "rap", just go to a poetry reading, don't get into this nasty modern "alternative rock"....

If you like guitar or play it, you'll probably wanna stick pre-1990. Smile
Even if you don't. Pre-1990's. Very Happy
spaz-o
No no, if you wanna get the real hot music, it's all here:

Paramore - All We Know
Paramore - Here We Go Again
October Fall - Keep Dreaming Upside Down
Cartel - Honestly
Cartel - Wonderwall (cover)
Acceptance - Take Cover
Brand New - Jude Law and a Semester Abroad'
Brand New - Failure By Design
Hit the Lights - Talk Us Down
Hit the Lights - All the Rage
Amber Pacific - Gone So Young
Amber Pacific - Poetically Pathetic
Dead Letter Circus - The Mile

I could go on forever, but then your minds would just explode in musical goodness...
Heart Ticket
guissmo wrote:
I don't have a specific genre for music. I like music from all different genres. I just don't know "what factor" I'm looking for these music. I think it's the style of the band. I heard Massive Attack and Spin Doctors and liked these.

Anyway, I'm planning to expand my playlist. Could you make any suggestions on what I'd like. Tell me its genre too so I know which kind I'm leaning into right now. Smile

I would personally suggest Slipknot & Bowling For Soup there my favourite bands even though there in completly differant genres but i love them anyway. Very Happy

James
Gagnar The Unruly
Well, I'm sorta scratching my head on hearing Massive Attack and Spin Doctors in the same sentence, but whatever!

If you like trip-hop (like Massive Attack), then I recommend as a start:

DJ Krush (lots and lots of stuff, quite diverse)
DJ Shadow (I like all the albums but the most recent one - pretty much any single off Endtroducing is a winner, provided it's song-length)
Faithless (God Is a DJ is a good single, or anything else off 3 am Sunday Morning. Also check out Insomnia, Salva Mea and Crazy English Summer)

Tricky and Portishead were also important trip-hop bands, but I never really got into those.
SpellcasterDX
Someone may have already mentioned it, but I recommend Linkin Park and Fort Minor. (Fort Minor being like a sub-band of LP).

Some songs I recommend from LP are:

Breaking The Habit
From The Inside
Faint
Nobody's Listening
Numb.

Another band (my personal favorite) I recommend is Evanescence.
Although the vocals is a girl/woman, they still have awesome music. The lyrics are real deep and you can relate and connect to them and the singer (Amy Lee) and how her life has been/is similar to yours.

Good songs by Evanescence:

All That I'm Living For
Bring Me To Life
Call Me When You're Sober
Lithium
My Immortal
RoughitforGreen247
I would recommend you sample some mod rock:

The Who: Baba ORiley, Behind Blue Eyes, Don't know myself, My Generation

The Kinks: Get outta this place, apeman, Lola

And Psychodelia:

The Doors: Light my Fire, LA Woman

Pink Floyd: Money, Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2, Atom Heart Mother, Comfortably Numb

Also go for some of the staple classic rock:

The Rolling Stones: Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction, Ruby Tuesday, Sympathy for the Devil, Laugh I nearly died

The Beatles: Hey Jude, Hey Bulldog, Revolution

And finally, can't go wrong with Southern Rock:

Lynyrd Skynyrd: Freebird, Simple Man, Gimme back my bullets

Allman Brothers: Ramblin Man, Pretty much any of theirs

And that's my incredibly long list - Roughit
spaz-o
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Someone may have already mentioned it, but I recommend Linkin Park and Fort Minor. (Fort Minor being like a sub-band of LP).

Some songs I recommend from LP are:

Breaking The Habit
From The Inside
Faint
Nobody's Listening
Numb.

Another band (my personal favorite) I recommend is Evanescence.
Although the vocals is a girl/woman, they still have awesome music. The lyrics are real deep and you can relate and connect to them and the singer (Amy Lee) and how her life has been/is similar to yours.

Good songs by Evanescence:

All That I'm Living For
Bring Me To Life
Call Me When You're Sober
Lithium
My Immortal

LP never did anything for me, but Evanescence are pretty cool. Although countless bad covers of them has wrecked a lot of their music for me...
JinTenshi
Linkin Park ( rock genre ) :
- Papercut
- Pushing Me Away
- P5-something something ( Pushing Me Away in Reanimation album )
- Krwling
- Numb
- Faint

Evanescence ( rock genre ):
- Call Me When You're Sober
- My Immortal

My Chemical Romance ( punk rock genre ) :
- Disenchanted
- Cancer
- I Don't Love You
- Thank You For The Venom

Good Charlotte ( Punk rock genre ) :
- Misery
- S.O.S.

Monkey.. Something ( What was it? Indie genre ) :
- When The Sun Goes Down

UVERworld ( This is jap and rock genre ) :
- = <-- Yea, the song title is =
- Boku ni Kasanatte Kuru Ima
- Colors of The Heart
- D-Tecnolife

Cascada ( Trance genre ) :
- Everytime We Touch
- Neverending Dream

Ok, so the list goes on and on. There's a wide variety of song on my songlist and I love them all! But sadly, NO RAP. Cause rap is crap. Yea, that rhymes, so I'm a rapper. =.="
allhopedeleted
Alkaline Trio are one band who I would reccomend

if you like heavier stuff listen to stuff before their last album if you prefer amazing melodies listen to "Crimson"

also the cure, get the greatest hits cd, its amazing, boys dont cry is a pure classic

Blink182 are the kings of joke music, they used to sing about ****** dogs, grandpas and moms, sadly they broke up but they have two offspring bands from this, +44 and Anegls & Airwaves, Angels and Airwaves (or AVA) is more stadium rock while +44 is a mixture of soft and heavy rock

I also have a new obsession for brand new, the second album "deja entendu" is amazing the third one is more dark
toasterintheoven
karma police is a great song, does anyone understand what it may be about? I'm really fascinated with the song
Bikerman
Hmm...it is a good song I agree.
It is about the Hindu theory of retributive enforcement - Karma. This means you pay later for bad actions now - sometimes in a later rebirth.
Alpha118
(If you're even reading this topic anymore xD)

I can definately reccomend trying to hear abit of Iron Maiden, simply put: they're awesome.

If I should say a few songs that I think are really great then It would be: Fear of the Dark and Como estais amigos

Else, pendelum is really great too Smile
gphoenix
Akon - Trouble nobody
Akon - I wanna be a star
Akon - Sunny day
Miley Cyrus - party in the usa
celine dion - My heart will go on..