FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Did the war in Troy really happened?

palavra
http://www.business-with-turkey.com/tourist-guide/troy_turkey.shtml

what do you think?

-was it a myth?
or
-a true historical event?
RiCtee
There's some evidence to suggest that it did happen. I believe that there really was a war but a lot of things were added in as the story gets passed around.
Vrythramax
I personally believe it happened, but as with most historical evenmts the details may have been blurred over the years.

Since I was not actually there however....I can't really say for sure. (Maybe Hobopelican would know for sure *snicker*)
poly
There is actually a lot of evidence that irt really happened. German archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann found it the ruins of troy by following the geographical information given by Homer.
Holy
The war really happened. We have a lot of evidence indicating that it happened.
Disaster-Pieces
Vrythramax wrote:
I personally believe it happened, but as with most historical evenmts the details may have been blurred over the years.

Since I was not actually there however....I can't really say for sure. (Maybe Hobopelican would know for sure *snicker*)

Lol i agree. no one knows they wernt there when it happened
Alex Is Mental
My class is studying this at the moment. I'm not sure whether it's true but what I think could of happened is:

Because it has been so long since the Trojan War (roughly 2250 years ago) facts and fiction could of been muddled up. You can represent this with Chinese-Whispers. You start with "Ho, ho, ho" and it ends up with "Po, ko, ro".

So I think that some parts of it are true and some parts have been made up as they have been told.
Daire
I studied it for three years.

A war happened.

But it wasn't about a kidnapped women.

If you look at this map, http://www.maicar.com/GML/000Images/004maps/troy.jpg, Troy is located at the entrance to the Propentus, which leads onto the Pontus Exunis. The Trojans charged Greek ships and travellers to go through there. So the Greeks headed over to destroy them and the trade barrier basically.

Homer, or someone older than him, and the story got passed on, made up the folk tale about Helen, Paris, Priam etc.

Unfourtanetly, when the Greeks where over in Troy, the Dorians invaded Greece and destroyed it, causing a Dark Age.
brucedes
Daire wrote:

A war happened.

You're right, a war did happen. The Greeks loved war stories, so of course, the Trojan War would be good fodder for them.

Unfortunately, trade is not a glamourous reason for war, so when the story was told and passed on, it morphed from trade into a kidnapped bride, which made the whole episode seem thoroughly noble.

Now, if you want a war with interesting reasons, check out the Punic Wars. It was basically the Romans and Carthaginians returning to caveman-esq, masculinity-increasing skull-basing, since both were up and coming empires, and of course, they both wanted more power, so they had 3 big wars over it.
Vrythramax
Daire wrote:

A war happened.

But it wasn't about a kidnapped women.

If you look at this map, http://www.maicar.com/GML/000Images/004maps/troy.jpg, Troy is located at the entrance to the Propentus, which leads onto the Pontus Exunis. The Trojans charged Greek ships and travellers to go through there. So the Greeks headed over to destroy them and the trade barrier basically.

Homer, or someone older than him, and the story got passed on, made up the folk tale about Helen, Paris, Priam etc.

Unfourtanetly, when the Greeks where over in Troy, the Dorians invaded Greece and destroyed it, causing a Dark Age.

1. I believe it was called the "Trojan War" (the people of Troy did not fare so well and the victorious tend to write the history.

2. I also don't believe it was over a woman kidnapped (and who wanted to be taken in the first place).

3. OFFTOPIC Your sig contains a quote/line which could be deemed offensive. Frihost does not, and will not discriminate sexual preference. I am not gay nor emo, but I do find your sig insulting.
Fright Knight
i believe that the Trojan War indeed happened but of course the one in the Story Illiad is just a product of Homer's imagination based on the events that happened in troy.
bulek
I also believe that Troy war happened but there are not so many evidences to really proof that. The were probably lost or destroyed.
LordHateSphere
it did happen, but not everything of the story is correct...

In the movie Troy or the books of Homeros, The Oddysey and The Illias they made it a heroic love story.

That like the war started because a greek king ' forgot his name ' was in love with Helen of troy...

this is offcourse stupid if u believe this, maybe this was true, but it certainly wasn't the main reason...

i think the main reason was that the greek feared the spreading power of Troy and they wanted to put an end to it...
roninmedia
Yes, the war did happen, but obviously elements of the tale are changed.

The size of the war, the reasons behind it, how the war ended. I seriously do not believe the Trojans were tricked by a wooden horse. Razz

I mean, a giant horse appears on your city gates and you take it in?
smarter
roninmedia wrote:
I seriously do not believe the Trojans were tricked by a wooden horse. Razz

Of course, this action seems ludicrous TODAY but I bet not taking the horse in was thought unreasonable by the majority of the Trojans.

I did not read Homer's works but I plan to because I think they are interesting.
Vladalf
People recently found the city of Troy.
The war happened but I don't think Achile really existed.
jongoldsz
It probably happened, but the story could have been distorted over the years.

For example:
Quote:
king of Troy: Priamo. He had 50 sons, and 50 daughters

Its a little strange that someone could have 100 children, its not humanly possible unless he had a bunch of wives. However, that part was probably distorted over hundreds of years.
medievalman26
Historically it was just a single battle so no I don't think the War of Troy happend. I do, however, completely believe that the city of Troy and the battle really exhisted/happend.
LordHateSphere
smarter wrote:
roninmedia wrote:
I seriously do not believe the Trojans were tricked by a wooden horse. Razz

Of course, this action seems ludicrous TODAY but I bet not taking the horse in was thought unreasonable by the majority of the Trojans.

I did not read Homer's works but I plan to because I think they are interesting.

Well you have to think how those guys did, Troy is famous for its horses, so i think that that part actually happened
MrBlueSky
jongoldsz wrote:
It probably happened, but the story could have been distorted over the years.

For example:
Quote:
king of Troy: Priamo. He had 50 sons, and 50 daughters

Its a little strange that someone could have 100 children, its not humanly possible unless he had a bunch of wives. However, that part was probably distorted over hundreds of years.

In that time it was common for kings to have more wives and concubines, so it isn't that strange.
RubySlasher
It did happen! And it's all Helen's fault.
budiman
I think it happens. But as usual, we tend to tell it in a more interesting way.
beuriefied
I think it really happened. before i watched that movie i read a history book about it. not sure what it was though. XD

btw, i liked that movie very much but i think 300 is better Very Happy
beuriefied
budiman wrote:
I think it happens. But as usual, we tend to tell it in a more interesting way.

yes i agree. movies tend to exaggerate Sad
billgertz
i do believe that the war happened but not as what is shown on the movies.
dwinton
RiCtee wrote:
There's some evidence to suggest that it did happen. I believe that there really was a war but a lot of things were added in as the story gets passed around.

Both the Odyssey and the Aeneid are fictionalized accounts. The chance that there was a battle is great as the Greek were a warring people. Throughout most of ancient greek history there was interislandary conflict.
palavra

- O my king , what we supposed to do with this?

- burn it! let's make this place hot.
knight_frost
Many would have doubts of the existence of Troy. But as the study progress which regards to this case, it was believe that Troy really existed. THat the war really happened and that what misfortunes it had besets to people in it.
But what so remarkable is the writer they called, HOMER. Homer is one of the greatest poets of the past. His writings where astoundingly great. But didnt you know that HOMER was blind. All the accounts of his writing were written by his successors.
Vrythramax
You must all look at one simple fact...."to the victor goes the spoils". The people (whoever they were) that fought with Troy (I assume no-one denies the existance of Troy at one time in history), defeated the forces of that particular place, and henceforth had the "right" (misguided I know) to write the accompanying history of the defeat.

As I have pointed out, short of any of us actually being there...we can't say with any real certainty what exactly happened there, or why, or for what reasons.

I believe there is too much evidence that says the war actually happened, but how it came about and to what end the war the war was fought for...who really knows for sure? This is the basic arguement of all historical events...since we were not there, who really knows?

Do I believe the Trojan War was fought over a woman named Helen? I seriously doubt anyone...even given the limited intellect of the time, would fight to the death so one man could have the woman he lusted for. So I would have to say absolutly not. There simply has got to be more to the story.
poiko123
My belief: historical event, but as written in the Iliad myth--the gods intervention and such.
imera
If something did happen or not nobody can say before we can actually go back in time and see fo our selfs. But things do change over years, history becomes biger, more glamorous and just fantastic. Take for example about Cleopatra, she was ugly they discovered by some coins that had her on it. So over the years they talked of a great queen with power, and then she became beautiful and people think she was really sexy.
I believe every history has something true, so this war would probably have happened, but maybe it wasn't as big as they might make it to be Razz
LostOverThere
There is a lot of evidence to say it happened. Not much saying it didnt. Besides, how could they have gotten the evidence saying it happened in the first place if it never did. Confused
Vrythramax
LostOverThere wrote:
There is a lot of evidence to say it happened. Not much saying it didnt. Besides, how could they have gotten the evidence saying it happened in the first place if it never did. Confused

That's a very good arguement, even if the explaintion is just a bit empty.

I'd like to ask a question here....how many believe the war was actually fought over a woman (Helen of Troy)?

Was the whole thing (the war) over a misguided act of love (lust), or was it for economic reasons (i.e. for trade rights or property)?
medievalman26
That is a good point Vrythramax. I don't believe that the battle of Troy (I don't consider one battle a war not exactly my definition of it) was fought over a woman. It may have been a contributing facto, but no I don't think that would have been a good enough reason. The economic reason is more along the lines of the "standard" wars that were and are still fought. I would wager a guess that Troy had a big trade value and probably just decided to not trade with somebody forcing them into a battle for the resources. Here is something else to think about, If Troy was so important as to have a battle fought to seize it. Then why did the victors not capture the city? Why did no one rebuild it afterwards?
Daire
Vrythramax wrote:

Was the whole thing (the war) over a misguided act of love (lust), or was it for economic reasons (i.e. for trade rights or property)?

The same way as was the Iraqi war over terrorism or over oil! Razz
missdixy
Maybe. Parts may have been exaggerated, I don't know.
ryanh2006
Hey guys. While I am no archaeologist I believe that like the Authorial Myths, the Battle of Troy was a historic battle between the Trojans but it wasn't over a woman. Through time facts were obscured and ancient religions and beautiful women were used to help popularize the tale and spread it amongst the "commoners." It was certainly be interesting if archaeologists managed to unearth some proof (have they already? i am not sure)
Vrythramax
missdixy wrote:
Maybe. Parts may have been exaggerated, I don't know.

What you must remember is to the victor goes the spoils. Which means they get to write the history of the conflict.

Do I believe the war happened, yes. Do I believe the historical account (and the movie portrayals)...no.
rshanthakumar
Do you think odyssey is true and the exploits of Ulysses?

Most of the epics in the world are myths. That includes the strange stories of Sindbad too. Parts of them have to be true to make them trustable. Otherwise none would believe it. Story telling always is a mix of truth and fiction. Only then fiction really sounds interesting. that is the way, the epics are also made.

If a nation was there and has been destroyed there should have been wars. No 'nation' could have ever existed without wars in those early days. And a large war for people before 3000 years could have been something fought between two groups of one thousand people (that might too big in those days).

These are all but fiction and over time they have become one with our life. This is true with some of the TV characters too. I have known people discussing soap characters with such fervor as of they are their own family members.
dalin89
War of Troy is a browser-based strategy game inspired by the Trojan War in Greek mythology. Loosely based on the war between Troy and Sparta, the game consists of all mainstay features a strategy simulator will offer, but few unique ones.

Are you playing War of Troy? See if you share the same points made in this latest War of Troy review.
RosenCruz
Yes it happened, but no "Helen"s were involved Laughing
drunkenkoz
We have evidence that the war actually happened, though people still somehow find a way to argue if the historical event actually happened.
kmr_mukund
i read about the troy war on the internet.according to this it was real war,but there is no any pure evident for this war.i have also seen troy movie.according to that it was real war.
LxGoodies
Vrythramax wrote:
There simply has got to be more to the story

This is the key, I guess.. the more research is done in ancient sites the more details emerge. You will never get a complete picture though. There could have been more than one Trojan war, most probably there has been more than one "Trojan" war. The city of Troy that was found by Schliemann in the 30s had huge walls. From the outside, it must have looked like one giant, reinforced castle. Such walls are not built for only one war.. The strategic location of Troy would also require that.

I think history and archeology are two different things.. but there certainly was fought a war, more than one war.. as there were more beautiful women than just one Helena.

Wink Lx
_AVG_
I think there are quite a few similarities among Greek, Norse, Vedic mythology, etc. and in fact one can directly compare a few events, character traits and heroes in the Ramayana and Mahabharata (two Vedic epics) directly to Homer's work. For instance, look at the Ramayana and Troy. A queen is "kidnapped" and taken across the sea when two brothers go across to win her back. Of course, the Greek version seems to be from a different point of view. All this points to one thing - that the Proto-Indo-European peoples did have some common history which came down in various versions across regions as different "myths".

So indeed Troy (and other myths) do have some historical significance. However the supernatural elements are more poetry than truth. So if we could somehow "decipher" the truth from these myths it would be quite an achievement!
darthrevan
I do believe the trojan war happened. Even if it didn't happen it gave us a great story as well. I liked the movie 'Troy' as well. I don't think I would force country into war because a person wanted to steal a woman away from her husband and defiantly shouldn't have brought the horse in.
tactical13
War of Troy is a city-building fighting game developed by JoyFort that has established its brand through The Stratagems.