FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Disposable Email Addresses??





dbdb
What is wrong with them and why do I not get an account because I used one to sign up?
Animal
We may need to contact you regarding your web hosting account at any time - if you dispose of the email address, we won't be able to get in touch. You also may need the email address to recover your password (if you forget it) either on the forum or with your web hosting account. It also begs the question... what are you trying to hide? Personally, I see no valid reason to sign up with a disposable email address unless you want to get one email (the confirmation email) then disappear into the world of uncontactableness (if that's even a word). But please rest assured that Frihost never spam our users, nor do we give out email addresses to anyone else.

I don't really see any problems with you getting a hosting account - but we require to be able to contact you at any time as I said. So if you use a real, permanent email address, you should be able to get a hosting account.
Scorpio
Frankly speaking, disposable email IDs are reserved for sites from which you can expect spam. There is absolutely no such problem here.

If you are so protective of your email ID then create a new one for this at a non-disposable email ID provider.

Quote:
It also begs the question... what are you trying to hide


It does, indeed.
garionw
Well I only use disposable email address on sites that I don't plan on being active (IE. I have a question to ask then I'll be gone)

I can understand using a disposable email address on a foreign site, but I've never received any emails from Frihost what-so-ever
dbdb
Animal wrote:
We may need to contact you regarding your web hosting account at any time
I can still view my disposable email addresses inbox
Animal wrote:
You also may need the email address to recover your password (if you forget it) either on the forum or with your web hosting account.
I use a master password for all forums I join and again can still view the inbox of the email address.
Animal wrote:
It also begs the question... what are you trying to hide? Personally, I see no valid reason to sign up with a disposable email address unless you want to get one email (the confirmation email) then disappear into the world of uncontactableness (if that's even a word). But please rest assured that Frihost never spam our users, nor do we give out email addresses to anyone else.
If I wish to stay anonymous that is my own decision. I may also not have a proper email address.

Animal wrote:
I don't really see any problems with you getting a hosting account - but we require to be able to contact you at any time as I said. So if you use a real, permanent email address, you should be able to get a hosting account.

There appears to be a problem:

mOrpheuS wrote:
Hi dbdb,
We regret to inform you that your request has been rejected.
Reason: Banned for using disposable email address
Kind regards,
mOrpheuS
mOrpheuS
dbdb wrote:
I can still view my disposable email addresses inbox

So can everyone else who happens to know your email address.

I do not wish to go into the details as to how this is considered a security risk, but for starters - your hosting account login details are sent to you by email.

By the way, the only time you will recieve an email from FRIHost is when you signup, or your hosting account is created or your points run into negative.
dbdb
Quote:
The official FRIHost Nice Guy™ ... 100% not mean
............

Anyway, I still find this awkward, and annoying. This service not quite as brilliant as I expected. Could I get my details sent to another email then which I don't have to have in my profile? Could I PM a mod or something?
Animal
dbdb wrote:
Anyway, I still find this awkward, and annoying. This service not quite as brilliant as I expected. Could I get my details sent to another email then which I don't have to have in my profile? Could I PM a mod or something?

No, I'm afraid not. The email address that you supply has to be kept on record against the forum account and the hosting account so that we can send you important information regarding your account (if it has been suspended, or if your points are low and the account is subject to removal etc...)

However, there is no need to worry because the email address in your forum profile is only made public if you choose to do so via the options in your profile. If you disable the "Always show my email address" option, the address is not available to any other users. Ever. Only the staff will have access to your email address, and except in extreme circumstances, nobody from Frihost would ever have need to email you. The email address will only ever be used by automated systems to send you notices regarding problems or issues with your account status.
mOrpheuS
dbdb wrote:
Quote:
The official FRIHost Nice Guy™ ... 100% not mean
............

That's just my forum signature, not something I said specifically addressed to you.

dbdb wrote:
Anyway, I still find this awkward, and annoying. This service not quite as brilliant as I expected.

I'm sorry to hear that. But we're not trying to be "annoying" by requiring members to use real email addresses.



dbdb wrote:
Could I get my details sent to another email then which I don't have to have in my profile? Could I PM a mod or something?

If you are only concerned about hiding your real email address from public view ... all you have to do is uncheck the option "Always show my e-mail address:" in your profile.

You can do that as well as change your email address in your profile.
(link also present topside on every forum page)
dbdb
mOrpheuS wrote:
dbdb wrote:
Quote:
The official FRIHost Nice Guy™ ... 100% not mean
............

That's just my forum signature, not something I said specifically addressed to you.
I know how a forum works it is your signature, just kind of false advertising if you go out of your way to stop people getting accounts due to them having disposable email addresses.

Surely it is up to myself if I want a proper email or not or if I want security and use disposable ones. If someone gets my account info and hacks my account that is my info that I have lost. My loss. I don't think I should loose out because I am putting my account security at risk whilst keeping my own privacy and my own security first. Plus in cPanel I can change my password and I can delete any mail I receive through the account...
tidruG
dbdb wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:
dbdb wrote:
Quote:
The official FRIHost Nice Guy™ ... 100% not mean
............

That's just my forum signature, not something I said specifically addressed to you.
I know how a forum works it is your signature, just kind of false advertising if you go out of your way to stop people getting accounts due to them having disposable email addresses.

That is not advertising. That is his personal signature. It's an internal joke among the mods, so you probably don't know what it means. Also note that Frihost doesn't advertise itself as having 100% friendly people.

Quote:
Surely it is up to myself if I want a proper email or not or if I want security and use disposable ones. If someone gets my account info and hacks my account that is my info that I have lost. My loss. I don't think I should loose out because I am putting my account security at risk whilst keeping my own privacy and my own security first. Plus in cPanel I can change my password and I can delete any mail I receive through the account...

No, it's not just your loss. If someone hacks into your account, they could compromise the entire server by putting malicious scripts or other pages. We can't let the entire server be at risk just because you don't want to use a real e-mail address.

And finally, I would just like to say that you are arguing a moot point. Whatever your opinions, our policy is to not allow registrations/hosting based on disposable e-mail addresses. So please edit your e-mail to a secure one which you will be accessing at least periodically, and then make another request.
Scorpio
dbdb wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:
dbdb wrote:
Quote:
The official FRIHost Nice Guy™ ... 100% not mean
............

That's just my forum signature, not something I said specifically addressed to you.
I know how a forum works it is your signature, just kind of false advertising if you go out of your way to stop people getting accounts due to them having disposable email addresses.

Surely it is up to myself if I want a proper email or not or if I want security and use disposable ones. If someone gets my account info and hacks my account that is my info that I have lost. My loss. I don't think I should loose out because I am putting my account security at risk whilst keeping my own privacy and my own security first. Plus in cPanel I can change my password and I can delete any mail I receive through the account...


Whatever is on a signature is the personal opinion of the user, be it a mod or admin and taking that seriously is your problem.

A free hosting service is being run here, if you are not even willing to give so much as a real email ID, you probably dont deserve it.

When mods and admins personally assure you that there will be hardly any mail from frihost least of all spam, you are unwilling to listen. If you are so choosy about your personal details being revealed [in this case, a email ID] then why dont you try a free host or any other host who dont ask for any of this.

Frihost server security cannot be compromised because of special privileges to one member. As morpheus said, letting your account get hacked may mean more problems to the server.
There are enough legitimate users abusing the service, and we don't need more abuse.

There are 100s of people with accounts here and nobody has created a fuss or thrown a tantrum like you.
Nobody is stopping you from getting an account. You are the one who refuses to listen to anything and wants to stick with your argument.

If you dont want to compromise, then feel free to find your own host and quit criticising before you even know anything about Frihost.
Bondings
What about registering a free email account on hotmail, yahoo or gmail and then forwarding all the email to your main email account? And then use that email address for Frihost and maybe a few other websites? This only takes a few minutes of work and makes sure you get our emails and that the contents aren't easily 'hackable'/available.
CyanEyed
this just made me laugh. i mean come on, signing up to frihost isnt gonna embarrass you in front of other people who may see your real inbox. and its not unreasonable to ask for a real addy. its common sense
Related topics
Yahoo! default email application
Use gmail space & features for any email addr
a few email/parked domain questions..
Email Forwarding/Accounts Question
The evil 'email' button :(
Email Question
Email service
sending email to multiple users.
How Many Email Accounts Are Enough?
Gmail spam mail
Problem with email through Thunderbird
Subdomain Email Addresses
PHP script to create email addresses/ftp accounts/etc...
Multiple email Addresses
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Frihost Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.