FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moderator/Admin Info

b|ade
I'm not sure if others have posted about this, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who wonders about this:
How do I become Moderator/Admin?
I know that you probably do not accept or enjoy PMs or E-mails in which the user begs for Admin and especially do not like annoying PMs asking why they are not Admin; but my suggestion is to put a rubric out of how a wanna-be Admin would act or post. Also, you might want to let people know that (if you do) you pick the admins and that they should not ask for it. I just noticed this because most forums have posts about it whether they accept applications or not.
Thanks.
Blade
//If you do have a topic pertaining this it pretty darn hard to find. Confused
-NOTE- I read through FAQs and numerous stickys and announcements before I posted this, so don't think I didn't try to find an existing post.
garionw
b|ade wrote:
How do I become Moderator/Admin?

Well to begin with, not many moderators ever get chosen. Which basically cancels out the rest of the post, but I shall continue Razz

b|ade wrote:
I know that you probably do not accept or enjoy PMs or E-mails in which the user begs for Admin and especially do not like annoying PMs asking why they are not Admin;

You like to rush into things Wink, most people want to be a moderator before admin, and especially seeing as though there are only (what?) 4 of them?

Quote:
but my suggestion is to put a rubric out of how a wanna-be Admin would act or post. Also, you might want to let people know that (if you do) you pick the admins and that they should not ask for it.

If you can find me a forum that will give you a moderating job just because "You asked for it" I'll join at once. Its practically an unwritten law, don't ask to be a moderator.

In terms of a Rubric, use common sense - A moderator is going to be a well-respected person of the community, who takes care and pride with their posts and has very little (If not none) Awits
Bockman
Just to add to Garion's post (who saved me the keyboard stokes and wrote mostly everything that needed saying):

There is no defined "way-to-post-to-get-to-admin"... not here and not anywhere. You either have or don't have mod/admin profile (and this depends on who is choosing mods/admins and the type of forum we're talking about). Even if you do have the needed profile, you might not become a mod/admin, simply because more mods/admins might not be needed.

My advice (to you and everyone with that question). Act on this forum as you would act on any other situation (taking the rules and ToS into account) and IF we see the need of adding more members to the staff, we'll look for the member that best fits our profile.

Be Well Cool
Blaster
I'm a mod on the forum. Maybe i don't have the power to lock topics but i can help them out by sending them a report using the button. Its as simple as that. You want to be a mod? Well to me that is like being a mod.
Vrythramax
Blaster wrote:
I'm a mod on the forum. Maybe i don't have the power to lock topics but i can help them out by sending them a report using the button. Its as simple as that. You want to be a mod? Well to me that is like being a mod.

When did you become a mod Blaster?
reddishblue
Vrythramax wrote:
Blaster wrote:

My god Vrythramax he means that he can help the mods...
Scorpio
Vrythramax wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Blaster simply feels that the ability to report posts is as good as being a mod on the forum.
Blaster
Vrythramax wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Brick wall Out of all people that i would think would understand this its you. Your killing me max your killing me.

And yes i mean i'm like a mod. Its like a towns watch or something. I watch out for spammers and report them.
Vrythramax
Blaster wrote:
Out of all people that i would think would understand this its you. Your killing me max your killing me.

And yes i mean i'm like a mod. Its like a towns watch or something. I watch out for spammers and report them.

No, your not anything like a mod Blaster, and you did not say you were "like a mod" in your post. You have no access to restricted areas, you have no privledges, you cannot see hidden forums....in short, , you are under the impression that the amount of posts you do gives you special advantages. It does not. Posting simply to advertise how many posts you have made (your previous sig stating the amount of posts in a year says it all) isn't exactly the best way to go about things.

Reporting someone else for spamming when you yourself do it on a regular basis (just look at your posts), does not amount to being a mod in any sense of the word.

You of all people should know that by now. ANY user/member can report another for infractions....no matter how many posts you have. The Staff will look at all reports eqauly, no matter if you have ten's of posts or thousands.

I am not killing you Blaster, your doing that yourself.
reddishblue
Blaster wrote:
You want to be a mod? Well to me that is like being a mod.

Vrthramax wrote:
No, your not anything like a mod Blaster, and you did not say you were "like a mod" in your post.

Well he did actually say, "Like being a mod" but at times it does seem Blasters post number does get to his head, which is just my opinion, no offense directed at you Blaster.
Vrythramax
No, he did not say that initially...he only qaulified later after making the below quoted statement:

Blaster wrote:
I'm a mod on the forum.

which is how he started his post.

The ability to report members for any infraction of the rules/TOS is not to ilicite feelings of power over another in any given circumstance, it is a tool to help the legitimate staff handle a very large forum and attempt to keep the peace.

I reiterate, the amount of posts does not grant any user special privledges. If Blasters amount of posts have gone to his head....of this I have no clue. We are all members here first and foremost, some have been chosen to be invited to take on additional duties, but the fact reamins that it is not the amount of posts that makes one "mod material" (for lack of a better term).
Vedder6
i think what blaster is trying to say is that he uses that "Report" button when he feels rules are being broken or topics/replys are bad, etc.

basically hes saying everyone is a mod because of the "Report" button. Not everyone has the "mods/admins" powers. But there is that link regular users can use to help them out.

And hey you never know.... If youre one of the users that is always on point with your reports you might be asked to join. That shows them you know their rules 100% and youre doing a awesome job helping them report that they may reward you with a little more access and responsibilities Smile
reddishblue
Vedder6 wrote:
And hey you never know.... If youre one of the users that is always on point with your reports you might be asked to join. That shows them you know their rules 100% and youre doing a awesome job helping them report that they may reward you with a little more access and responsibilities Smile

You really shouldn't say that, not being a member of staff and all...
Vedder6
LOL. Now Im just saying that "you never know". Because you never do. Someone could be impressed with your work and Im sure it'll make you feel all toasty if someone gives you a nice job once and awhile
mathiaus
I can't be doing with all this lack of good communication and misunderstanding!

Mods are chosen by Bondings. The need for moderators will be brought up either by him, admins or mods. Nominations are sort of held by suggesting 'suitable applicants ' suggested by any member of staff. We sort of discuss those mentioned, Bondings has look at them (their posts and general behaviour) and chooses them (obviously asking them as well).
I really can't put it any clearer than that.

About asking people to become mods, Frihost did that when it first started. That's how I became a mod though this was at the time when it had just started, there were not so many members or posts to check through or a large staff membership to suggest new members to the team. Since then, new mods have selected by existing staff and people who start trying to become mods by asking around etc, have been added to a non-existent 'never to be staff' list.

This topic has been discussed many times before, and just been answered in this thread so ....
-close-
Vrythramax
reddishblue wrote:
Vedder6 wrote:

You really shouldn't say that, not being a member of staff and all...

I know mathiaus closed this topic, but I'd like to point to reddishblue that it is not up to him/her to correct other members posts in this nature....since he/she is not staff and all.