FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pet Cremation...

rainmaker
As I was driving back to college today, I heard a radio advertisement for pet cremations. This is something I've never thought about before. They even offered personalized urns for the animals. I was just wondering if anyone would care to comment on this.

Thanks!

--rainmaker
imera
I have heard about this before but I don't think I would do it if I ever get a pet. But for people that may be very atached to their pets, this could be a solution, and tehy would take the ashes of their pet with them.
If I EVER should cremate my pet I think I would spread the ashes in a forrest or the sea. But I don't think I would cremate my pets, I'm not sure if I would get any pet because they die so soon, especially if I would get to close to them, I would be so sad for a long time.
rainmaker
I know what you mean. We used to have four dogs, but we are now down to 1. After two died (one run over by a car and another old age), we finally had to find another home for the third one, owing to my parents' divorce. It's really hard to let them go, but we always buried them. Then again, we live in the country, though. Anyway, I'm rambling.

--rainmaker
imera
Yes, and maybe it is a litle different with those that lives on t he country and in the big city. The same with people, those on the contry is usualy bearied and those in the city would rather be cremated. Maybe it's the same with the pets, only that here it's teh owners that takes that desition. So maybe for those in the city cremating your pets is more okay and normal.

this subject about cremating and city reminds me about this 'star' that wanted to be cremated and feed to her cat if the cat was still living, because she loved the cat so much.What would happen if the cat would die first, would she eat the ashes? A bit funny to think about this
akshar
Quote:
It may be true to some extent .I know a family who had a very good dog.It had some rare disease and couldnt survive .owner was very sad.he couldent see its dog body because he wanted live image of his dog infront of his eyes.finally a third pary did cremation.
jwellsy
Cremation should be required for humane shelters and vet office euthanasias.
Their normal procedure is to just throw the carcass in the dumpster.
Daisie
I had one cat creamted as I was living in a town and burying it was not an option. The vet took care of everything, the ashes where scatered over a field, cost me a 10.
I dont see myself using a pet cemetary...

But what happen when your pet is a horse ? You cant really bury it at the bottom of the garden?! I think it's a good option...
rainmaker
Interesting point...I've never had a horse, so I never thought about that. I was looking at the issue from more of a moral standpoint than an economical one. I think we as Americans are extremely attached to our pets to the point where we treat them almost like people. Whether this is a good or a bad thing, I don't know.

--rainmaker
sky217
We've always just buried them. I wouldn't pay to cremate them.
rainmaker
Do you live in the city, though? imera brought up a good point that in urban areas cremation may be more feasible, because there is no room to bury the animal as compared to in the country.
Idoru
Cremation might be good, but as for keeping the ashes I can't relate. Not for pet-
cemetary either, but everyone have different ideas. Personally I think a photo is
better to remeber them by. Most often a vet is involved in the last stage of life,
and they usually offer to take care of the body. What they do with it then I trust
their proffesionalism to be the best to decide about.
HoboPelican
I get pretty attached to my pets. Some have been better friends than my human friends. Growing up we had quiet a cemetery in our yard, dogs, cats, turtles, fish, reptiles, birds, rabbits...the list goes on and on. But that house was sold (I can't help wondering what the new owners thought when they started putting flower beds there!) and now they are gone.

Lately, we've been having our feline friends cremated and brought home in a nice wooden case. Our Vet makes little ceramic impressions of a paw and we keep a few whisker hairs with the urn. Personally, I like it, although I can see some thinking it is just silly or even creepy. It's nice to remember old friends on occasion.
Daisie
HoboPelican wrote:
(I can't help wondering what the new owners thought when they started putting flower beds there!)

We did that last year... Digged out the previous owner's dog from under the "rockery". At first it was a rib bone, hubby said then "they must have had a dog who ate his bones in the garden!" but we became suspicous when we got the jaw bone... It's not a nice feeling when you realise that you are digging out someone's beloheved pet.
Kiddo treated it as an acheologic dig and had fun for hours (it's not grave robbing, it's educationnal! *sight*). We put all the bones that we found in a box and reburied it on the same spot...

Our fishes used to go throught the "running portal to the big pond in the sky" otherwise knowed as "the Toilet"...
Annush_K
In my country, burying animals is prohibited by law, so when a pet dies, you have to either cremate the animal, or bury it in a "common grave", a la cattle burial grounds. Or you can bury the pet yourself, just not officially. That was what we did to our first dog. His grave is not so far from our house (we live in a big city, but closer to suburbs), but I've never been there and actually don't think I'd like to. :s
BosLady
Pet cremation is a common practice around here. I recently built a website for a company that makes pet memorials, boxes for holding the ashes, etc. They laser engrave them like a tombstone. There is a big market for it. Search the internet and you will find that it is a real common practice.
jharsika
When my mother and I got both of our dogs put down the vet just killed them and we left. They get cremated and thrown in the garbage or something. In fact one winter when my bunny died the ground was frozen so my mother put her in the garbage can....she said she wasn't going to keep a dead bunny in her freezer until spring. Also a friend of mine, her bunny also died during a winter, they just chucked a cage with the body in a snowbank in the woods.....so I guess what I'm saying is we don't really do anything fancy with pets after they die. Sounds horrible when I say it...but it's not really that bad.
BosLady
We had to throw our dead pet cat in the garbage dumpster too because it was the middle of winter. I know it sounds bad, but what else were we supposed to do?
jharsika
Cook it and eat it? Am I going too far? Too soon? Sorry...

I know though there isn't exactly a service for corpse removal, there should be though.
BosLady
There obviously is - the local sanitation company. Hey before anyone jumps down my throat keep in mind, animals are biodegradable!!

Sorry, bad humor.
jharsika
The only "animal waste control" I know of are the people who go around picking up roadkill.
BosLady
Where do they bring that roadkill? Is there a facility? It could be a good place for people to drop off their dead pets in the winter.
xorcist
Wow why not just bury them or something I bury my brothers hamster when it died. I couldn't think of cremating my dog or cat or any animal. There really should be somewhere where you can take dead animals.
rainmaker
I'm just curious...is it really that hard to get rid of a dead animal in the cities? I guess I've always lived in the country, so I can't relate. I would have to agree with xorcist about having some place to take them if it really is difficult to find a place for the deceased animals. Anyway, interesting...

--rainmaker
Idoru
Rainmaker, no, I'd say it isn't, as I've mentioned before, the vet can solve that.
Live in Sweden, and as in Russia it's forbidden to bury larger animals without a
permit. Never applied for one, so I don't know how hard it is to get it, but I'd guess
it isn't to hard if you've thought about the enviromental issues before asking.
jharsika
rainmaker wrote:
I'm just curious...is it really that hard to get rid of a dead animal in the cities? I guess I've always lived in the country, so I can't relate. I would have to agree with xorcist about having some place to take them if it really is difficult to find a place for the deceased animals. Anyway, interesting...

--rainmaker

Well I live in the country too...but it's hard to bury an animal when the ground is under 4 feet of snow and is frozen. In the summer, no problem. But some people don't like burying pets in their yards...probably especially in suburbs and urban areas. I don't know where the roadkill gets taken. Maybe I should find out!
vw_bugg
For some reason i never would have thought to cremate a pet. I live in the country and we have always buried them.

I cant beleive it never has occured to me. Although i would never do this but i find it interesting that this would work for many people. I especially like that it would work for larger pets like horses. And very well for family in the city.
brucedes
I won't get my pets cremated, I'll always bury them, since they often do mass cremations, even those special places and often have your pet mixed with the ashes of other pets.

Unfortunately, if you move, you're stuffed...
manutdfc13
i have never heard of pet cremation before, i think its a bit odd though having your pet on your mantle piece
rainmaker
I guess I can see how cremating pets is advantageous in that it allows for an owner to get rid of the corpse. I think, however, that some people might take it a bit far with the urns and (in some cases) caskets. I guess it all depends on the owner, though. My mom's friend has only a cat--no children or husband. In her case, I guess, a cat is more like a family member. Anyway, I'm rambling...

--rainmaker