FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hosting Game Servers? Need some help?

Good service?
yes!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
No!
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Warlord
I have been Hosting game servers now for 5 years i love doing it i see it as a hobby editing and changing the game play. do you have any questions on how to do this? or any questions about a gaming static ip... yes thats right a GAMING static ip most people argue with me saying a static ip is the same as a gaming ip its not lol trust me i just sit back and watch the people arguing about the ip addresses fail to host its actually really funny been there and done that, i remember me saying the same stuff i started pulling my hair out over the servers dieing crashing and pausing so you want help im offering to help people no charge. Why no charge coz charging for something i learned for free is out of order +plus i get real bored so id love to help solve your problems Wink

email: Deathzone.server@hotmail.co.uk

Warlord.
mathiaus
Not needing any help, though I just say I'm intrigued to know the difference between a static IP and a 'gaming' static IP address. Smile
Warlord
Well a static ip is well static... and so is a gaming ip but you try using a static ip that you pay for by your isp and it sucks sometimes it will let you host the serer other time it dont its weird not many people no what the difference is but there is a difference im still trying to work it out why theres a difference lol once i find what it is il post it here lol. ummm i can tell you how to make one tho Very Happy
Warlord
Quote:
How to set up a Gaming IP address on a Windows XP computer.

It is very important to setup a Gaming ip address, if you want to host a stable server. What it do is allow you to use all your upload/download bandwidth where as a static ip don't it holds back, good idea if you don't need the bandwidth but to host a server you need every bit. your router forwards ports to an ip address that you specify. This will probably work when you initially set it up, but after restarting your computer it may get a different ip address. When this happens the ports will no longer be forwarded to your computer's ip address. So the port forwarding configuration will not work.

Setting up a static ip for windows XP.

If you have a printer, before you begin print out this page!

Step 1:
Open up the start menu, and click Run. You should now see the following window.

Step 2:
Type cmd in the Open: box, and click Okay. The will bring up a black command prompt window.

Step 3:
The command prompt may look different on your screen, but it doesn't really matter. Type ipconfig /all in that window, and then press the enter key. This will display a lot of information. If it scrolls off the top you may need to enlarge the window.

Step 4:
I want you to write down some of the information in this window. Take down the IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and Name Servers. Make sure to note which is which. We are going to use this information a little bit later.

The name server entries are a bit complicated. Name Server is just another name for DNS server. Some router's act as a proxy between the actual name servers and your computer. You will know when this is the case, because the Default Gateway will list the same ip address as the Name Servers entry. We need to have the correct Name Server IP addresses. If we do not, you will not be able to browse the web. There are a couple ways to get these. The first way is to log into your router's web interface, and look at your router's status page. On that page you should see an entry for DNS Servers, or Name Servers. Write down the ip adresses of your Name Servers. Another way to get the correct Name Servers to use, is to give your ISP a call. They should know the ip addresses of your Name Servers right off. If they ask you why you need them, you can tell them you are trying to setup a Gaming IP address on your computer. If they try to sell you a static external ip address, don't buy it. That's an entirely different thing that what you are trying to setup.

Type exit in this window, then press the enter key to close it.

Step 5:
Once again open the start menu. This time click Control Panel.

Step 6:
Double click Network Connections.

Step 7:
You may have several network connections in this window. I want you to right click on the one you use to connect to the internet. Then click properties.

If you are unsure of which one that is, right click it and then click disable. Open a new copy of your web browser? Did it open a webpage? If you can not, then you've found your internet connection. Close that browser window. Go ahead and right click the network connection again and then click enable. Once again open up a new web browser. You should see a webpage. Close the browser window. Right click on the network connection and click properties at the bottom.

Step 8:
You should now have the above window on your screen. Click the properties button to open up the properties window of this internet connection.

Step 9:
Click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and then the Properties button. You will now see the following screen.

Step 10:
Before you make any changes, write down the settings that you see on this page. If something goes wrong you can always change the settings back to what they were! You should see a dot in the Obtain an IP address automatically box. If you do not, your connection is already setup for a Gaming ip. Just close all these windows and restart the computer you are done.

Happy hosting.

lol there you go give it ago Very Happy

mathiaus: Added quote tags
MrBlueSky
Looks like you are just talking about the difference between the static IP of your internet router and the local IP of your computer which is (usually) assigned automatically by your router and can differ every time you start up your computer. That actually doesn't have anything to do with 'gaming' or a 'gaming' ip.
exarkun
But in the first place, is this thread for enquiring how to set up game servers?

I would like to know more about it, like what software do you use for example. But I guess it must be difficult though, since it should require lots of bandwidth.
Flakky
exarkun wrote:
But in the first place, is this thread for enquiring how to set up game servers?

I would like to know more about it, like what software do you use for example. But I guess it must be difficult though, since it should require lots of bandwidth.
Not if you make packages or compression.
Agent ME
@Warlord: There's no such thing as a 'gaming ip' as you described. Your directions told how to set your computer to have an internal static IP. (Internal means on your LAN made by your router - the External IP is the router's IP, and is what the rest of the outside world calls you by.)

And then you compared the 'gaming IP' (really the internal static IP concept) to the idea of an (external) static IP address - those aren't comparable.

But just to be helpful - to anyone hosting a server of any sorts - make sure in your router settings, if there is a page giving you a choice between "Connect on Demand" and "Keep Alive", then choose "Keep Alive". The first one (usually is default, at least on my router) makes it so the router logs off of the internet when its not active - but if you're hosting a server, the server is only listening (until a client connects), so the router doesn't know it's really active and shuts off the net. "Keep Alive" keeps the internet turned on as long as possible, which is what you want for a server.
Henk_de_Vries
Flakky wrote:
exarkun wrote:

Not if you make packages or compression.
Try changing bytes into bits for the best compression or change it into a zip and send it. This can lag the game.