FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

root access

Azmo
I got a question about access on my account. I use my account to try and work with different php scripts, I'm still kinda green on this area but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Anyways, I'm wondering about access to save uploaded files, was checking out an upload script a friend made, but it seem like I don't have access to save files in the root.. is this correct? Or is it me that wrote something wrong? Just want the question answered so I know if I should keep working on the script on this host.. or if I should use that specific scrit someplace else

cheers
Animal
Azmo wrote:
Anyways, I'm wondering about access to save uploaded files, was checking out an upload script a friend made, but it seem like I don't have access to save files in the root.. is this correct? Or is it me that wrote something wrong? Just want the question answered so I know if I should keep working on the script on this host.. or if I should use that specific scrit someplace else

You're not allowed to use an upload script on the Frihost servers unless only you can use it (for example as part of a blog). General upload scripts for all to use are not allowed because of the likliehood for abuse.

Now, if you are going to use the upload script in accordance with this, any uploads will not be put into your root directory (/home/azmo/), they will go into a folder you specify within the public_html directory for your domain. You will also need to ensure that your file permissions are correct on the directory you use - you will need write access for visitors. It is therefore not a good idea to upload files to your public_html directory since this is your website's home folder. If you give it write access, anyone will be able to write to your webspace. Instead, it would be better to define one sub-folder as the directory for your uploads and only grant write permission to it and not the rest of your site.

HTH
Azmo
no it's not a "public" script.. as I said, just testing to learn.. and got some error msg.. however I did set the upload_dir to public_html/upload , a map I created.. anyways, tnx for your fast answer Smile