FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server Setup

xframe
Hello, I just recently purchased a unmanaged server from bestofdata.com with CentOS as the operatong system. I know absolutly nothing about servers...I'm trying to figure out how I can setup the server like a media server. I just want to be able to upload files to a folder and allow my visitors to download the files with connection per IP. Idon't have ftp access only SSH...I'm not even sure what that is exacly but I managed to login to it with CueFTP but I wasnt able to upload any files or anything. I undertand I have to setup something to allow me to setup or upload files like an ftp. Like I said im clueless when it comes to dedicated servers...ive only used shared hosting services. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Manofgames
I myself have no knowledge in this matter, but I would suggest posting and searching on the following forums:

http://www.daniweb.com
http://www.namepros.com

As far as I know, both communities have quite a few server technichians on, who should be able to help you. Wink

good luck

Alex
makli
Are you sure, that an unmanaged server is right for you? If you don't have any experience in managing server operating systems, you will not configure your server in a right, secure way.

First of all you should make some experiences with CentOS (your server OS) on a local computer. You have to find out how to configure different services (ftp, http or whatever). When you get this, you are ready to start your server in the internet. And, if you got this points, you would not ask what ssh is for! (ssh - secure shell - is a opportunity to log in your computer remote, so that you can configure your server - if you know how!)

HTH

Makli
otiscom
Why exactly did you buy this?
Have you got your own domain and fixed IP address?
ETC?
outofnicks
Yikes, you are really sticking your neck out on this, if you don't have a clue what you're doing. You are probably spending quite a bit on that, and if you screw something up or if you get hacked, there's money down the drain.

I completely agree with Makli, you should learn the ropes on a localhost setup on your own computer first before jumping in to a public server situation like this.

There are dedicated servers available with a minimmum of RAM that are cheap because they don't support CGI sripts, but are good for file storage and access. I'll have to jog my memory on that, I had some bookmarked a while back...
X3 Talk
You need to get a different server. Servers are not the sort of thing you want to be playing with without any knowledge, trust me.