FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Does the fear of dying ebb away with age?





wellerchap
When I was a kid I could never contemplate not being here, alive & in the world.
Now, as I get older, I feel very strongly that there'll come a time when I'd be ready to "go" & not kick up a fight against it.
I sometimes wish I could see the world as I did when I was a kid (I'm 40 now), but the state that everything is in at the moment (world peace, the state of the UK from the point of view of my daughter growing up here etc) really leaves me with little enthusiasm for it all.
I really do think that as you get older the fear of death ebbs away, helped by the innocence of youth being lost to the harsher realities of life.
Cibes
I'm 17 and I see this in a completly different way right now. I'm not really scared of death - it is a little beyond my imagination anyway - but when I think about getting old, getting weak, not being able to do anything anymore, I would rather die than live such a life. Of course this is really far from my current situation too, and sports mean very much to me right now. But seing my grandma struggling with the most basic things of everyday life makes me think like that. She also sometimes mentions that she has enough of this life - not that she wants to die but she doesn't see it as that bad anymore.
truespeed
maybe its natures way of preparing you for the inevitable,why fight something you cant win against,so nature takes away your fight.
{name here}
Well, they do say that seniors are the happiest age group.
DynamicNames
It depends.

If you're younger and understand what it would be like to die in a more in-depth way, the fear less of it.

If you're younger and you think that you'll just disappear, it would probably go the opposite way.
DILLIGAF
Ericsson had some ideas on the whole thing. Basically, happy, fulfilled elderly folks have given to the world and feel like they did a good job, so they're OK with dying. Kind of a "My work here is done" type of thing.

I personally can't imagine it. It's a nebulous thought to me.
Vrythramax
I don't know, when I was young I never had a reason to question my mortality, but I grow older it becomes more apparent and hence it does make me fear the unknown more now. Who can say, with all the reality shows on television now that have young people doing stupid stunts simply to get on camera, that as they get older they won't regret the misgivings of thier youth?

It is not just limited to acts of stupidity for the camera either, how many young people practise, or even think about safe sex? It's a fact of life life that as we age we mature....that is not to say that all young people are immature, simply that they may not be completely in touch with thier mortality. When we are young we tend to think impulsivly and without consequence, as you gwet older and life seems to be behind you, it's natural to think about what's ahead of you. The fear of death does not ebb with age, if anything the closer you get to it, the more fear of the unknown you may experience.

Can any argue this?
Macbeth
Ever since I slipped into my depression and recovered from it I've never really been afraid of death.

To me its just another part of life, another adventure you know?

Religion plays a big part of my acceptance of death. You see I believe in reincarnation and I hope that in a later life I'll be reincarnated into something that I can enjoy.

My only regret, if I would to die right here and now, is that I didn't have a chance to completely enjoy my life.
Captain Fertile
wellerchap wrote:
When I was a kid I could never contemplate not being here, alive & in the world.
Now, as I get older, I feel very strongly that there'll come a time when I'd be ready to "go" & not kick up a fight against it.
I sometimes wish I could see the world as I did when I was a kid (I'm 40 now), but the state that everything is in at the moment (world peace, the state of the UK from the point of view of my daughter growing up here etc) really leaves me with little enthusiasm for it all.
I really do think that as you get older the fear of death ebbs away, helped by the innocence of youth being lost to the harsher realities of life.


You know what? As a 39 year old dad in the UK (the north east of England) I agree 100% with what you say.

I remember my thoughts during my youth, me expectations etc.

Now as a parent death holds no fear, HOW I die, now that scares me sometimes bu the actually thought of passing away is somwthing I look on as the next adventure - wherever it may (or may not) take me.

I am sad at the thought of not being with my kids (or future grand kids maybe) as they grow and there are aspects of this world to miss.

But the day I die I will be content because I will at last know for sure the answer that has always bothered me, "What next?"

I much prefer the thought of dieing to the idea of eternal life here on earth - now THAT is a scary option if you really sit and think about it.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know this UK dad agrees and understands where you are coming from. Cool
Captain Fertile
I got to thinking, the scary bit once you reach a certain age is how little time you have left. I figure as a male, overweight smoker reaching 40 years old I have had more than 50% of my life and that is a sobering thought.

I checked my details on Death clock and got a suprise, according to that I will die on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 !!!!

Hmmm, very sobering. If you want a bit of fun (and you haven't tried it yet) you can visit Death Clock on;

http://www.deathclock.com/
Scorpio
Captain Fertile wrote:


Hmmm, very sobering. If you want a bit of fun (and you haven't tried it yet) you can visit Death Clock on;

http://www.deathclock.com/


I did try it out a year and a half ago and found that I'd die in 2076 or something nearby..

But I must say, I am not old enough to understand about the feeling of death creeping around the corner
Yazz
I think it gradually wears away as we gather experience in life and live it to it's fullest. At one point, you have to pause, look at your life and decide, now I'm going to break out of routine and use what my whole life has been based around to do everything I've ever wanted.

A rich man may die broke, but a broke man may die rich. The only difference is the currency.

And uh... yeah. If you don't live your life properly, you'll realize it on your deathbed and then you wont be ready to die.
Montressor
Captain Fertile wrote:
IWednesday, June 24, 2009 !!!!
Hey sorry Captain, but I can't attend your funeral, I have plans around that time, could you postpone, or move that date up a little? Wink
standready
As you grow older you just realize and hopefully accept (not live in fear of) that death is really there. When your number comes up, no matter how old or young, its up.

There are only two truths in lifee.....death and taxes. In the end there are actually taxes after death.
Captain Fertile
Montressor wrote:
Captain Fertile wrote:
IWednesday, June 24, 2009 !!!!
Hey sorry Captain, but I can't attend your funeral, I have plans around that time, could you postpone, or move that date up a little? Wink


I AM CERTAINLY GOING TO TRY!!!!!!!!!! Shocked
crimson_aria
I didn't really think much about dying before. I'm 18 and I think I'm more scared to die now. Not scared as in I do not want to die. I do accept death. I accept it as a part of life. But, my life had a big turn last year and I must say my life has a direction now. I have a goal. I have something I want to do. I am not afraid of death, but I am afraid to die without accomplishing anything. Simply say, I want to die happy. I do not want to die yet. Maybe some time in the future, when I make things turn out the way I want them to be, I'd be ready to die.
HoboPelican
Captain Fertile wrote:
Montressor wrote:
Captain Fertile wrote:
IWednesday, June 24, 2009 !!!!
Hey sorry Captain, but I can't attend your funeral, I have plans around that time, could you postpone, or move that date up a little? Wink


I AM CERTAINLY GOING TO TRY!!!!!!!!!! Shocked


I would be trying to push it back, myself, but maybe that is just me. Wink

The death clock gives me another 21 years! WooHoo! Laughing

For me it was a little strange. As a youngster, I had a recurring dream of dying in a carwreck when I was 28 years old. I never really believed it 100%, but after scores of repetitions, you can't help but start to think it might be true. I actually did some really dangerous stuff thinking, half-joking, that nothing could happen because I KNEW how I was going to die.

Needless to say, nothing happened, but I think all that time thinking about death made me pretty comfortable with my own mortality. I'm gonna die. Not looking forward to it, but not afraid either. Maybe that is the key...the more you contemplate it, the less it seems like some horrible event.
Montressor
Just a question, what does the death clock say if you've surpassed your ascribed death date? Does it claim you lied? Or state "you're dead"? Perhaps it just asks you to reenter the data correctly (or dispatches a team of assassins to your location Wink )

"You have defied the all-powerful gods of statistics! Beware mortal, for you shall die!" Twisted Evil
otiscom
Ever since my Father died ( I was 11), I have never worried about it.

Even pain I can control, by relaxing.
I do however think a lot about the meaning of life, then I give up and think we are only a small part of physics, just like gas or water or whatever.
bartdou
this depends on your view on life, and your attitude,
Vrythramax
My deathclock says I'll be around till sometime in April 2028...so I guess you people are stuck with me for awhile Very Happy
meet in rio
I've been afraid of dying ever since I can remember. It hasn't be a constant thing---I've gone through a few months of thing about it every couple of years---but it's definitely always niggling in the back of my mind.

I can remember crying about it when I was 7 or so, and then worrying again at 9, and then 11, and then 15, and then 17. I've become better at blocking it out, though. I know it's silly, because there's nothing I can do about it, but the thought of 'not being' just terrifies me.

I'm even slightly afraid of going to sleep sometimes, because of the unconsciousness. I don't know what I'd be like before a general anaesthetic! Even more unnerving is the knowledge that I was in inexistence quite happily for an infinite amount of time before I was born, and the same may well be true upon my death.
chasbeen
Well I think that at 50 i'm the oldest! So I better make this quick because of the time i've got left. I've done lots of stuff and nearly been killed a few times. (Hmmmm maybe there is a time when "your numbers up")

I take my ageing body out for a run every other day.

Reasons:
(1)The body produces a fantastic natural drug that make you feel good for the whole day.(It's called synatropine or something like)

(2)A day in between to leave enough time for your body to repair itself.

(3)Ok, so you cannot exercise every day anymore so I cannot reach 100% fitness but every other day gives me 80% fitness.

(4)Although i'm 50 I'm resisting the urge to become "immediately old"

I cannot do anything about the crappy creased skin or the lack of hair though Exclamation
Cool

To answer the question:Yes but mostly because i'd be worried what happend to my family.
Vrythramax
After careful thought, I think this particular topic belongs in the "Philosophy and Religion" forum, but I hesitate to move it without member feedback as I don't want any to lose sight of the topic.

Topic may remain as is, but I wish some Feedback Please.
RubySlasher
I don't think I'll ever want to die. I have too much willpower and resourcefulness.
HoboPelican
chasbeen wrote:
Well I think that at 50 i'm the oldest! ....

Ha! You're just a pup! I got you beat by 4 or 5 years!

Wink

But your right. Even though I don't really worry about dying, I do tend to work a bit more at keeping in shape. I'm not as consistent as you are, but I run a few miles each week and, in decent weather, get in the kayak as much as I can. Not to extend the life of the shell, but just be able to make good use of it as long as I can.

No fear of death....but I want to enjoy the days I have. Laughing
erlendhg
Funny thing, that death clock.
Mine says Wednesday, July 29, 2065
Duncan Idaho
Well, I'm not scared of death. My only fear would be that I could not go to heaven to be with my Lord and my family. Speaking of that, I won't be ashamed to show him all the bad things about me, my wrong doings, and my wrongness. But, I'd hope that I wasn't lied to my whole life, and all my desisions that I've made.
Rako
my death clock said i will die at 98 which I'm pretty happy about. but when i made my current age 100 it said "I'm sorry, bur your time has expired. have a nice day." but i'm still young and thought of the unknown scares me but an eternity on this planet seems even worse. so i believe as i get older and accomplish some of my goals and achieve some things i will aksept death.
tijn01
The only thing we all know is that one day we will die!
How can you fear or question that?
The older I get the more I realise that I will die, that it could happen anytime and that it doesn't really matter when. The more I see people around me die (unfortunately more than I would like for my young age) I realise that the best we can do to prepare ourselves for the inevitable event is to not question it or fear it!
If you are living your life without fear then there is no reason to fear your death.
Vrythramax
Rako wrote:
my death clock said i will die at 98 which I'm pretty happy about. but when i made my current age 100 it said "I'm sorry, bur your time has expired. have a nice day." but i'm still young and thought of the unknown scares me but an eternity on this planet seems even worse. so i believe as i get older and accomplish some of my goals and achieve some things i will aksept death.


You did not really think this "Death Clock" was accurate did you?
jipmerite
I don't think most healthy people worry about death much, as long as they are healthy. Of course sick people are different. They would think about it. But healthy people, even if they were 80 years old usually think that they still have some time left, they don't realise that they are at the end of the race.

And even older people, say in their 50s, when they have a heart attack and survive, they were so close to death but still since they have survived they think everything will be good and they still have time. But in that moment when they are having that chest pain they think that they are dead for sure. They fear death like nothing else at that moment. But once they survive and are discharged from the hospital they don't think about it all that much.

Of course there might be some religious people who think of God more often than the rest. And we cannot really think of God without thinking of death, no matter what religion we follow.
Duncan Idaho
Hm, well if more people lived more intelligently when they were younger, most likely that would live more intelligently when they are much older folks, yeah?
watersoul
I've never worried about dying, and I don't intend to start!
I've got plenty enough things to worry about in the here and now life I'm living - worrying about when it's going to end is just a waste of my energy.
However long I've got doesn't matter, I plan long term as if I have forever, and any changes to this along my life path will be written into my schedule as and when.
Healthy respect for danger and risks, yes, but worrying about the unknown? ...no, not me
spazbutt32
It's not something easily thought about.

I do share the sentiment that it answers the question of "what's next?" but I think it's something you shouldn't worry about for fear of brooding/thinking yourself into depression. o_o
Heart Ticket
spazbutt32 wrote:
It's not something easily thought about.

I do share the sentiment that it answers the question of "what's next?" but I think it's something you shouldn't worry about for fear of brooding/thinking yourself into depression. o_o


I think my self into depression all the time its just not about death (death doesnt really bother me...) After i thinking myself into depression i get really emotional then think about death but not in the way most people do its more of "I want to die" other than "I dont want to die".
If your confused i don't blame you.

James
amanryzus
wellerchap wrote:
When I was a kid I could never contemplate not being here, alive & in the world.
Now, as I get older, I feel very strongly that there'll come a time when I'd be ready to "go" & not kick up a fight against it.
I sometimes wish I could see the world as I did when I was a kid (I'm 40 now), but the state that everything is in at the moment (world peace, the state of the UK from the point of view of my daughter growing up here etc) really leaves me with little enthusiasm for it all.
I really do think that as you get older the fear of death ebbs away, helped by the innocence of
i fell youth being lost to the harsher realities of life.


hello I'm in 12th and i have this constant fear that i would die some day
i feel like I'm just gonna disappear and my existence will be erased and I'm but gonna be even able to think
i will not have any thought at all!!
please help me talking to my parents feel me but again that feeling comes
because of that i get really depressed
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
I really do think that as you get older the fear of death ebbs away, helped by the innocence of youth being lost to the harsher realities of life.
I'd think it would be just the other way round. The older you become the more aware of death you would be. The younger you are the less you'd think about it.
rebbicajackson
According to my opinion as we get older we get our life in some or other things which get us into busy life and that could be the main reason for us to throw away our attention from that fear ? Very Happy
mshafiq
i agree with you 100%.as i am feeling this daily.daily when i woke up in the morning the first thing that come in the mind that time is passing very fast and we getting old and old very day.this feeling make me scared.
standready
For the most part, I think the younger you are the more fearless you are as death seems so far away. Today, a friend of mine was laid to rest. He was only 66. Still too young to leave us. My grandparents lived to be 86 & 90 with good health yet my brother passed just after turning 37.
I believe the older you get the more you realize that you will die sooner rather than later.
Radar
As you get older, I believe that you think about death more. There are obvious reasons for that, because it becomes more likely, because you're less able to distract yourself, etc.

However, do you have less fear of death? I don't think fear of death is something that changes with age, simply how you're awareness of death. I'm a Christian, so this is less of an issue, because of what I believe comes after, but I think older people are often more likely to be converted because they are thinking about death more.
zaxacongrejo
fear of dead like paranoia, will decrease your hage not because of the fear itself but the consequences
Cosmoslayer
It's gonna end a few days from now. LOL!
spinout
hm, yes and no. it varies alot. Some get very into some religion to cover the fear.
My granddad wished for dead for a decade,,,
Some are very frightend.

I will probably wish for dead like the granddad of mine...
playfungames
Sometimes I am scared of dying and sometimes I think that I am ready for it. So, I think I am in a confused state and I am in my mid twenties. I hope I will be able to truly and completely accept the fact someday.
Related topics
S|ex At Undermaturity
Who All Believes In Evolution?
the final truth
Dream Theater
A problem printing a PDF document
Muisc/ Video PIRACY, is it right?
[official] The Meaning of life
Avatars: God manifests in human form.
Global Warming? are we at worlds end?
Genesis in the spotlight..1
Are you scared to die?
I like Elton John's stance
Is it safe in Philosophy and Religion?
Omniscience
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.