FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how do I permanently enable a vertical scrollbar?

TurtleShell
So, this is really annoying--firefox only has a vertical scrollbar when needed. My site is a centered table, and when the scrollbar appears on one of the pages, it repositions the table to the left by a few pixels and it's visually disturbing. IE, on the otherhand, always has the scrollbar there and with that browser I don't have this problem.

SO my question is, how do I permanently enable a scrollbar using html, css, or javascript?
LukeakaDanish
my suggestion is this css line:

Code:
body {overflow-y: scroll;}

...however maybe i haven't quite understood you...try it out!
TurtleShell
yeah, see...I think that only works when there's actually overflow, which in my case, there isn't.

Here's the problem: each page is just a table, and the table is in the center. On one page, the table holds excessive content, and so there's overflow and the scrollbar appears. When the scrollbar appears, it makes the window space slightly smaller and the table moves over just a hair (does that make sense?). When I return to the other pages, where the table fits nicely in the screen and there's no overflow, the scrollbar disappears and table returns to its previous position.

I suppose I could just put a few breaks after the table, but I don't actually need or want the other tables to be able to scroll (additional white content on the page would just be a nuisance), I just want the scrollbar to appear anyway.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion, but I tried it and it didn't seem to take care of the problem. ...any other thoughts?
LukeakaDanish
Ehm...just a minute...I just tested it and it works fine...(scrollbars always appear at the side)

Are you sure you "implemented" it correctly Wink
TurtleShell
I'm pretty sure--are you testing it in firefox?
LukeakaDanish
TurtleShell wrote:
I'm pretty sure--are you testing it in firefox?

yes! (and IE7 as well)

I'll send me a screenshot if you don't believe me...or rather...you send me a screenshot + link to version that doesn't work for you and I will see if i can make it work Wink
TurtleShell
Hey--I wanted to thank you for your offer for help. I know it's been a week or two since this posting, but I took a small hiatus and now I'm back. Anyway, I think I figured it out. The CSS command that ended up working for me was

html { overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical; }

It inserts a vertical scrollbar in the firefox webrowser. Still not sure why I couldn't get yours to work when it worked for you...but hey, there it is.