FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Function-specific moderators





linangan
How do you guys feel about giving "special powers" to certain members so that they can help moderate the threads?

By special powers, I mean assigning them to police one forum (probably the forum they frequent the most) and giving them the capability to edit thread titles (to make them more specific), and to close duplicate threads only on the forum they were assigned to.

You can have an applications process so that you can choose the best candidate, maybe someone who has constant activity and has shown good behavior and judgment in the forums, people who don't tend to overreact and will not abuse their powers.

This will be a good way to keep the boards clean and organized without giving more workload to the current moderators and administrators.
Scorpio
The standard reply you are gonna get "officially" is that "there are enough mods as of now and whenever we feel the need, new ones will be appointed"
ocalhoun
^True, but I don't see any reason why forum-specific moderators couldn't be appointed. A similar thing is already in effect with the language moderators.

You could have, for example, introductions moderators, who's specific job is to crack down on people posting formulaic responses to introductions in order to gain points.

Another useful one might be moderators who's job is specifically to enforce [spoiler] rules, as have been suggested before, and which can already been found to a small extent in the literature section.

Edit:
And no, I'm not mod-power greedy. You'll notice the two examples I gave would be mundane tasks that I would have little interest in doing.
Animal
While I see your point, there would probably be no reason to appoint forum-specific mods. Any moderator on the forums, whether restricted to moderating one forum or another will have access to "mod-only" data such as IP addresses of members, email addresses and so on. There wouldn't really be much point in limiting the actions of a mod - why would we not simply make them a global moderator?

Language mods are not entirely locked down to their own language forums, so it's not really the same. In my opinion (my personal opinion - I don't speak for Frihost here), there is no point in limiting a moderator's powers on the forum. If you don't trust them to moderate globally, why should they be trusted to moderate locally?
mathiaus
Members can help moderators by using the new report system! (Don't see the point of having more mods as well)
Read More Very Happy
Scorpio
mathiaus wrote:
Members can help moderators by using the new report system! (Don't see the point of having more mods as well)
Read More Very Happy


Then you could consider weeding out totally inactive mods like blackheart at -118, Arin at something more -ve than that.

No point keeping them either.
I am not saying they were bad mods or anything, apparently they seem to be too busy coping with problems other than frihost.

Also, Arin seems to be having his account at a -154. Is there any special provision by which I or any other average user could do the same?
Blaster
Yea i do admit we should get rid of the mods that are inactive. Or at least email them to see if they even have intrest in modding frihost anymore.
garionw
scorpio wrote:
mathiaus wrote:
Members can help moderators by using the new report system! (Don't see the point of having more mods as well)
Read More Very Happy


Then you could consider weeding out totally inactive mods like blackheart at -118, Arin at something more -ve than that.

No point keeping them either.
I am not saying they were bad mods or anything, apparently they seem to be too busy coping with problems other than frihost.

Also, Arin seems to be having his account at a -154. Is there any special provision by which I or any other average user could do the same?



Those two in particular haven't posted all year - maybe we should remove all mod's that haven't posted this well (We are getting to the end of our first quarter here) and I haven't seem them post either Rolling Eyes
Animal
I'm not taking sides here... all I'll say is that mods are people too, and sometimes it becomes difficult / impossible to post on a forum for a while. I don't know the circumstances of the inactive mods at the moment, but they're certainly not doing any harm having "mod status" and not visiting the forums.

We are aware which members of staff are active, and we work the forum based on the number of active staff, not simply the total number of people in the staff usergroup. It's not like we have a limited number of mod slots and need to wait till the inactive ones are removed before we appoint new moderators Wink New mods are appointed as and when they're needed, and they're not necessarily needed as soon as one moderator becomes inactive.
Blaster
I see your point animal. thas why i said to email them asking if they where still interested.
Bockman
scorpio wrote:

Also, Arin seems to be having his account at a -154. Is there any special provision by which I or any other average user could do the same?


Couldn't let this one slide....

scorpio, you know by now how account removal works don't you? (you surely have read us talking bout it on other threads)

To answer your "question". Yes there is. Do nothing and it may happen... We have lot's of users on situations far beyond Arin's.. .and they're also still hosted... They, much like Arin, may find their account closed someday (maybe even today or tomorrow).
But that really isn't something you should be bothering about is it? I think all you need to do is make sure YOU are not in that situation (which I doubt will ever happen Wink ). what other users do is... well... OUR problem, isn't it?

As for removing them for the team, I see no point in removing any mod/admin unless it's a clear case of leaving frihost. If they are to comeback, why should we go to the trouble of re-adding them to the staff afterwards? (note that a "Retired" information is something i agree with since it clearly states that the mod/admin is not available and avoids people pm'ing questions to them (which won't get answered)).

Be Well Cool
Scorpio
Animal wrote:
I'm not taking sides here... all I'll say is that mods are people too, and sometimes it becomes difficult / impossible to post on a forum for a while.


Sorry Animal, but this has been the standard argument for every mod removal request ever.

I do understand they are human and have work. But humans, however busy they are could at least visit once in a while. Meaning, at least once in 2 months or 3 months.

Blackheart has not been here for 6 months nearly and similarly for arin.

If they are inactive simply remove them from the status of Moderator. Whoever said anything about reinstating them when they come back. If they still prove to be useful, then you can consider. Its not mandatory to have their positions waiting for them when they return one fine day.
Blaster
Hey bockmen why is TPP still in the mod group. Didn't she retire? I know this isn't my bussiness but it thought i would ask anyway.
reddishblue
I noticed that too, but after leaving I think she posted a month later so maybe it was only temporary...
Animal
scorpio wrote:
If they are inactive simply remove them from the status of Moderator. Whoever said anything about reinstating them when they come back. If they still prove to be useful, then you can consider. Its not mandatory to have their positions waiting for them when they return one fine day.


Bockman wrote:
As for removing them for the team, I see no point in removing any mod/admin unless it's a clear case of leaving frihost. If they are to comeback, why should we go to the trouble of re-adding them to the staff afterwards? (note that a "Retired" information is something i agree with since it clearly states that the mod/admin is not available and avoids people pm'ing questions to them (which won't get answered)).


Wink
Scorpio
Animal wrote:
scorpio wrote:
If they are inactive simply remove them from the status of Moderator. Whoever said anything about reinstating them when they come back. If they still prove to be useful, then you can consider. Its not mandatory to have their positions waiting for them when they return one fine day.


Bockman wrote:
As for removing them for the team, I see no point in removing any mod/admin unless it's a clear case of leaving frihost.


I am just going to ask why?
Why is there no point in relieving them of their responsibilities when they no longer can spare time from their apparently busy schedule?

They are no good to frihost anyway if they dont visit... Its not like they are going to be removed from frihost totally. Only their power would be removed. That is something logical.
Also, the removal request is for mods who haven't posted for like half a year, not a week or a month..
tidruG
scorpio,
Look at it this way...
there's no point in removing them as mods or taking away their powers. Most of the inactive mods are currently going through a period in their lives where they need to concentrate on something else for some period of time. When that period is done, they are likely to come back to Frihost.

Secondly, it doesn't make a hell of a difference to remove their moderating powers. Because like someone else, we don't start hiring new mods the moment we realise that some of us have gone inactive. We only get new moderators when we feel that we are getting too much work for our small team to handle... irrespective of how many mods are active or inactive.

So, there's no point in removing their moderating powers. Our adding new mods is only dependent on the amount of work load.

In fact, the plus point in keeping their moderating positions intact is that whenever they do get the time to log on, they will be able to do some moderating or report clearing or whatever, thus reducing some of the load on the "active" mods.... clear?

Anyway, coming back to the topic...
Like Animal said, there's no point in hiring function-specific moderators because they'd have more or less the same privileges that those of normal moderators. In fact, it helps to make a person a Global Moderator even if we were to ask him to specifically watch one particular forum. I don't support the idea of function-specific moderators.

If you feel things are moving too slowly, do your part and report whatever you feel is necessary. I was expecting the Report Mod to be flooded, but so far, we've only had 34 reports so far.
Scorpio
Quote:
there's no point in removing them as mods or taking away their powers. Most of the inactive mods are currently going through a period in their lives where they need to concentrate on something else for some period of time.


Exactly.. Let them concentrate on that.. Why make them feel guilty that they are not doing anything at their mod position here..?
Relieve them of the post and they can concentrate, minus the guilt, on their personal amibitions and achieve what they want..

Quote:
When that period is done, they are likely to come back to Frihost.


Of course, in a year or two...

Quote:
Secondly, it doesn't make a hell of a difference to remove their moderating powers. Because like someone else, we don't start hiring new mods the moment we realise that some of us have gone inactive. We only get new moderators when we feel that we are getting too much work for our small team to handle... irrespective of how many mods are active or inactive.


Nobody is asking for new mods.. Just weed out the ones that are not of use . Removing them isnt gonna cause a loss... We dont want people to have the feeling that they can come in whenever they want, and still feel, "Hey, I am a mod. I come whenever I want, even once a decade and I still am a mod......"
Quote:

In fact, the plus point in keeping their moderating positions intact is that whenever they do get the time to log on,


Again, like once a year..

Quote:
...they will be able to do some moderating or report clearing or whatever, thus reducing some of the load on the "active" mods.... clear?


When the current ""active"" mods are managing without any problem whatsoever, there is no reason to retain them for just for the added perk of them coming back and editing a post once a decade..
tidruG
Quote:
Exactly.. Let them concentrate on that.. Why make them feel guilty that they are not doing anything at their mod position here..?
Relieve them of the post and they can concentrate, minus the guilt, on their personal amibitions and achieve what they want..

What makes you think they're feeling guilty?

Quote:
Of course, in a year or two...

The period of their inactivity is of no consequence to the running of Frihost, as you can hopefully plainly see... these mods you've mentioned have been offline for over 6 months, according to you, and look!... FRIHOST IS STILL UP AND RUNNING!

Quote:
Nobody is asking for new mods.. Just weed out the ones that are not of use . Removing them isnt gonna cause a loss... We dont want people to have the feeling that they can come in whenever they want, and still feel, "Hey, I am a mod. I come whenever I want, even once a decade and I still am a mod......"

Why "weed" out? What makes you think that just because they're inactive for some time makes them useless or "weedy"?
Secondly, we've never had that attitude from any "returning" member of the staff. We're very careful about the mods we pick, and we know how they think. How we interact behind closed doors (Staff forums) is also unknown to you, and consequently, your notions of all staff members being on a power trip are unfounded.

Quote:
Again, like once a year..

Again, it is of absolutely no consequence to you or Frihost whether we have inactive mods or not... whether they're inactive for an year, 2 or 5.

Quote:
When the current ""active"" mods are managing without any problem whatsoever, there is no reason to retain them for just for the added perk of them coming back and editing a post once a decade..

Yet, you haven't given me a single good enough reason to remove them, have you?
You talk about weeding them out, you talk about them coming back with the supposed "I can come back and be a mod whenever I want" attitude... all without proof. You really have no idea how much more difficult it is for a mod to come back after a break and resume active duty. There are a number of new rules, or rule changes, and new policies, new faces, new methods, new functions, new forums, etc etc. It can be quite intimidating. Also, we don't like mods making mistakes, and all of us are under pressure to make sure we don't make mistakes lest we be devoured by the staff-devouring vultures.

Yet again, I ask for one good reason to remove inactive mods from the list... one solid reason... go ahead.

And after that, please stop straying off-topic.
Montressor
tidruG wrote:
Yet again, I ask for one good reason to remove inactive mods from the list... one solid reason... go ahead.
I suppose that Scorpio's main concern is that the inactive moderators are not contributing to the community; they are no longer a "part" of FriHost. But, considering that the moderation team is a community unto itself (and a much tighter knit community), I don't think that a moderator will go "rogue" because he hasn't kept up with his or her friends at FriHost and is no longer a part of the FriHost community.
Scorpio
Its finally your decision anyway.. And since you've decided not to remove them, what I or any other "member" says will be of no significance to you and will probably in no way influence your decision..

I just am not going to bother arguing without even the faintest hope of anything positive, atleast on my side.

Quote:
If you feel things are moving too slowly, do your part and report whatever you feel is necessary. I was expecting the Report Mod to be flooded, but so far, we've only had 34 reports so far.


And I probably am responsible for atleast 6 of it. The least you guys could do is atleast acknowledge people who report valid spam. That way, you could keep us encourage.

Its not exactly our duty to report posts here. I could just post and leave. When people go out of their way to report posts or users, atleast acknowledge that. Otherwise it is like trying to converse with a brick
Montressor
scorpio wrote:
Its not exactly our duty to report posts here. I could just post and leave. When people go out of their way to report posts or users, atleast acknowledge that.
I would hope that you report things for the betterment of the community as a whole, not just to get accolades from mods. After all FriHost isn't Bonding's, it really belongs to those who post. Without us FriHost wouldn't exist; FriHost is our responsibility and anything we do related to FriHost should be to the benefit of the community. That is why spam is looked down upon, because it hurts the community, of which every member is a part. If you care about the community, and yourself as part of that community, then you should report spam regardless of what you feel you should get in return. Moderators are just enlightened beings who take this concept far beyond the rest of us and volunteer their time and resources to better the community.

^^just some Socialist propaganda for you liberal democrats (and no, I am not one who advocates for socialist government, but socialist principles in groups can work well)
reddishblue
Hmmm... I'm surprised that few people are reporting, I report quite often...strange
garionw
tidruG wrote:
Yet again, I ask for one good reason to remove inactive mods from the list... one solid reason... go ahead.


The way I choose to think of it is:

You're a principal at the local highschool. One of your teachers asks for leave without pay. She/He doesn't say how long they'll be or where they are going, they just want leave. You grant them this and he/she darts off, cleaning up some of the office, taking some things, leaving others.

This person has been gone nearly six months, not even a postcard. The office is still taking up precious space, and your afraid if you pack it up - they might arrive the next day.

Its been a year and still no reply; You decide to pack up the office and move it into storage so that the office can be used for someone else when the need comes.*

Now of course, thats not the best example, but something similar. If you haven't heard from your employee in over 6 months, why should they get their name out the front of the store.

But you've said it yourselves: "We don't need any more help at the moment" and if these two people come back, there will be an extra two moderator's aren't there?

Not only that, but Frihost has changed a little over the past few months, there have been the new forums (February) Awits (October) and the reporting system (February), they are two big changes that they weren't there for and as a result probably have no idea how it works. Don't you think the safest (and best) thing to do would be to remove them.

and besides Arin hasn't updated his/her website since October as well, for all we know he/she could have passed away.

I'm not asking to add more mods, just retire the older ones, if they come back and you're in need for more - put them at the top of your list
* - That sounds very much like from a Buick 8, Stephan King Novel
Scorpio
Montressor wrote:
scorpio wrote:
Its not exactly our duty to report posts here. I could just post and leave. When people go out of their way to report posts or users, atleast acknowledge that.
I would hope that you report things for the betterment of the community as a whole, not just to get accolades from mods.


If I was looking for accolades, I probably wouldnt be thinking about reporting. Of the 100s of accounts here, probably 10 users have reported so far. The rest of the people just come, post and get lost.
Compared to that, I can consider myself far superior to be even reporting regularly.
Also, I had reported enough violations before the system had been implemented. I do feel I have the right to atleast a "thank you for reporting".

Frankly speaking, you are NOT going to change anybody else with your propaganda [by anybody I mean, the 100s of users who dont care a damn to report anything]. So please refrain from telling me not to look for an acknowledgement when I put aside the time to report a post/user.

As for being a mod, of course, they have volunteered to do the job of checking violations. So, apparently it is a duty for them when they logon to frihost. It certainly is not mine. My responsibility [as is the other users'] is to post useful stuff, help people if possible, keep within frihost ToS and get hosting.

When people dont even care enough to report, the ones that do, though they are members, do indeed deserve a pat on the back to keep them going.
If you think different, then you can continue your Social Service without any plaudits.
Bockman
@scorpio,

We DO acknowledge people who report spam/warez/whatever. We have done so in the past (whenever you or other member sent us pm's). The new system was created without a reply/acknowledgment function to alleviate the reports handling, but that doesn't mean we don't appreciate your reporting.

As for it being your duty to report, you are right... it's not (although I see it as a moral obligation for a community member to watch out for the wellbeing of that same community) . But I remember pm'ing you (a long time ago) about you replying to posts (if I remember it correctly, it was marketplace related) and asking you to refrain from having "moderation actions" in post. Not being your duty, you still felt you had to do them right? We all feel that from time to time. This report function is here also to give you an option to report the post/topic/user INSTEAD of replying on the thread. Avoids unnecessary discussions that lead nowhere and helps us keep the forums cleaner and remove stuff a lot faster.

From the whole staff, I can thank you in advance for going that extra mile and reporting some posts as you have done in the past (and I hope will continue doing in the future).


@garionw,

It's called leave of absence (without pay) and it's a right the employee has. He's is not fired on account of it, same as here.
I don't know how you'd manage a forum and what policies you'd use, but we like to keep the staff to strictly necessary yes.
When we pick someone for the team, we evaluate all of his posts and account and discuss it amongst us and IF the member is accepted by everyone and IF he accepts to join the team, he has access to everything we need to keep private.
Once he has our 100% confidence (and that means that we have to evaluate his moderation actions aswell after we have accepted him) he is someone we have no problems with him reading and engaging in private discussions about managing Frihost.

I'll give you an example. I was (and still am) a moderator on another forum (200K+ members) and since I joined the Frihost Staff (wich would be well over a year now) I don't have much time to spare on that other forum. Still, I go there from time to time and participate on private debates. If I had been removed from duty, I would be unnable to add my experience (over 4 years at that forum) to that debate and would be unnable to help out on decisions.

The same happens here.. If TPP or Arin (taking up previous examples) have an hour to spare and get to our forums, I surely hope they get to our private boards and give their oppinion on some of the discussions going on. Although you won't see them moderating anything, they are contributing to the development of Frihost (And I may also add that their comments and suggestions WILL always be considered, because we trust in their good sense and appreciate their opinions)


As for function-specific (special powers), aapart from language forums (which obviously need someone that speaks the language) I don't agree with them. Even language mods (most of them after sometime and after building up their reputation as moderators) are promoted to Global moderators (you don't see it, but they are). And that's how I think it should stay. When and if we have a time that we need more help, a scrutiny will begin and some member(s) will be invited for it.

Be Well Cool
Montressor
scorpio wrote:
My responsibility [as is the other users'] is to post useful stuff, help people if possible, keep within frihost ToS and get hosting.
True, your responsibilities, just like the bare minimum responsibilities of 100's of other users is just to post and keep up with the ToS, but if you care about FriHost, you should take responsibility for what you want to keep and go beyond the essential responsibilities.

scorpio wrote:
The ones that do, though they are members, do indeed deserve a pat on the back to keep them going...
I would not go so far as to say that they "deserve" a pat on the back, but certainly giving them one would be beneficial. The results of your continued good deeds on FriHost is a better FriHost, which is in itself a "pat on the back"; a reward for your hard work. If you want, and are given, more "pats" than that, more power to you, but I find the demand for positive recognition to be more deserving of negative recognition...
tidruG
Quote:
Its finally your decision anyway.. And since you've decided not to remove them, what I or any other "member" says will be of no significance to you and will probably in no way influence your decision..
The part about it being our decision in the end is completely true. The part about members' opinions not amounting to anything is not true. Give us valid reasons to do something, and it could affect our decision. However, don't come in, assume something, and make demands.

Quote:
I just am not going to bother arguing without even the faintest hope of anything positive, atleast on my side.
Define : "positive"

Quote:
And I probably am responsible for atleast 6 of it. The least you guys could do is atleast acknowledge people who report valid spam. That way, you could keep us encourage.
We thought about that. I even suggested having a full AWITS-like discussion feature for each report. The problem, however, is that that kind of stuff slows down the system. And we don't have automated actions in the report system. We do the actions manually... mostly by visiting the thread/post in question. IF we remove the thread/post or clean it up or something, then you won't be able to find it. In some cases, we may choose to ignore a report if we find nothing wrong with the reported thread/post/user. If you want us to send a PM to everyone who sends a report, it'll slow down the process terribly, and we'll have people wanting more moderators.

Quote:
Its not exactly our duty to report posts here. I could just post and leave. When people go out of their way to report posts or users, atleast acknowledge that. Otherwise it is like trying to converse with a brick
It's definitely not your duty to report. However, if you don't report, and then complain about the mods not doing a good job, then we have the right to knock you over with a baton and ban you Wink
Basically, if you want to help Frihost be a better forum, report.

garionw wrote:
The way I choose to think of it is:

You're a principal at the local highschool. One of your teachers asks for leave without pay. She/He doesn't say how long they'll be or where they are going, they just want leave. You grant them this and he/she darts off, cleaning up some of the office, taking some things, leaving others.

This person has been gone nearly six months, not even a postcard. The office is still taking up precious space, and your afraid if you pack it up - they might arrive the next day.

Its been a year and still no reply; You decide to pack up the office and move it into storage so that the office can be used for someone else when the need comes.

Well... there are some "minor" differences:
There's no office space being used up. The Mod team doesn't have a fixed number of maximum members. Imagine an entire building available to you. Now think that all the mods have been given their offices, and all we've used up is one floor. If we wanted, we could temporarily lock down the offices of the employees/teachers who've gone on extended leave, and hire double the number of mods as the number of inactive mods, make them all new offices (maybe on other floors), and still have plenty of office space left over to utilize. However, we're happy with how many mods we have, because quite simply, too many cooks spoil the broth.

Quote:
Not only that, but Frihost has changed a little over the past few months, there have been the new forums (February) Awits (October) and the reporting system (February), they are two big changes that they weren't there for and as a result probably have no idea how it works. Don't you think the safest (and best) thing to do would be to remove them.
Not really. As far as the 'safe' aspect is concerned, the mods we have on the team are responsible enough to learn of all the changes and systems before they use them. They're sure to ask plenty of questions, etc etc before they do any moderating action.

scorpio wrote:
So please refrain from telling me not to look for an acknowledgement when I put aside the time to report a post/user.
This isn't directed directly at you, scorpio, but loads of other users have been complaining about how long it takes to PM a moderator to complain about something. The report system just made it a few times faster for the average user to report something, and a few hundred times faster to handle the report, since all mods see the report, unlike the PM which only the mod you send the PM to would have seen. Unfortunately, now you're saying that we should thank you for setting aside the time to even report...

Quote:
When people dont even care enough to report, the ones that do, though they are members, do indeed deserve a pat on the back to keep them going.
If you think different, then you can continue your Social Service without any plaudits.
So basically, what you're saying is that unless we pat these people on the back, they should not be reporting to us?
Well, think about it this way... because I'm going to tell you how not reporting affects YOU directly...
Imagine you enter a thread which is spammy. Who spends time going through that thread? You do. Imagine you report it. We remove it. The next time you enter that forum, that spammy thread is gone, and there's no remote possibility of you having to enter it again.
Second scenario : You create a thread. Imagine a member creates a spam post reply which confuses everyone else who is replying in your thread. The end result is chaos, confusion, spam and possibly flaming. Whose thread is then likely to get locked and possibly removed? Yours. Now, do you still think it's you who deserves a plaudit for doing something that benefits you directly more than it benefits the staff?

At this point, I would like to apologise if I came across too defensive, crude or strong. As a member of the staff, we do appreciate your reporting, and do value your suggestions. Since college started, I've had very little time for Frihost. I have to limit the forums I visit, and in fact, I've even not had the time to go through my favourite forums... but I still go through the Suggestions forum whenever I have even that wee little bit of extra time.
Vrythramax
One aspect of this entire conversation that has been overlooked is the fact that literally ALL of the current Staff (mods/account creators/admins) have been invited to thier current positions and most never sought the position(s) in the first place.

Has no-one taken the time to think of a personal aspect here? Most peoples lives do not evolve around a computer, and speaking strictly personally here, my personal life comes before Frihost. There is no-one that can deny I won't do whatever is needed to help Frihost be all it can be, but there are times when life takes precedence. I had to take a month off just recently for personal reasons. Should I be fired simply because I have a life and duties outside of Frihost? If the forum owner thinks these people should remain....shouldn't we trust his judgement? He made the platform for your arguements available in the first place, and he hired all of the staff himself.

*side note....it has been said in other topics that the fastest way not become a mod is to ask to be made one (the first rule of Fight Club is to never talk about Fight Club).
garionw
Vrythramax wrote:
I had to take a month off just recently for personal reasons.


But we're talking almost 7-8 months here, and did you let Bondings know you might be away, or just leave?
Scorpio
Quote:
One aspect of this entire conversation that has been overlooked is the fact that literally ALL of the current Staff (mods/account creators/admins) have been invited to thier current positions and most never sought the position(s) in the first place.


They may have been Invited but it is they who have accepted the invitation, meaning they can spare time for frihost after all.

Quote:
Has no-one taken the time to think of a personal aspect here?


Yes, I have

Quote:

Most peoples lives do not evolve around a computer, and speaking strictly personally here, my personal life comes before Frihost. There is no-one that can deny I won't do whatever is needed to help Frihost be all it can be, but there are times when life takes precedence


Of course. I've stayed off frihost for 3 months in a row as well/
Quote:

Should I be fired simply because I have a life and duties outside of Frihost?


No, but if your life and duties take up all of your time [which may sometimes be true] then you should hand in your papers and take care of the personal life only. 1 month or 3 months is reasonable. 6 months is ridiculous. 1 post a month may also be enough to make people think that they may come back soon. Or a note in the signature like Wumingsden or Bockman would also help. But scattering without so much as a note to the members, is not particularly very nice. Not that its their duty, but as a sense of responsibility.

Quote:
If the forum owner thinks these people should remain....shouldn't we trust his judgement?


Trusting his judgement is one thing. The fact that we can't do anything against his judgement even if we are against it is another.
Vrythramax
@scorpio

If you were on a paid hosting service I would back your sentiments entirely, but the fact remains that Frihost is a FREE service, and sometimes you have to give a little to get a little.

Can we agree on that? or had you forgotten that you don't have to write a check every month for hosting? Even on a paid hosting service....do you think they would heed to your arguements? From my own experience I have found they would not.
Animal
garionw wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
I had to take a month off just recently for personal reasons.


But we're talking almost 7-8 months here, and did you let Bondings know you might be away, or just leave?

How do you know the other mods did or didn't let the rest of the staff know? Perhaps it would be best if everyone stopped second-guessing what is discussed in "Area 51".

I think that I can safely say that we won't be appointing function specific mods as per the original suggestion. The other points raised about inactive members of staff has also been discussed here, and the general response has been that we won't be automatically demoting anyone due to inactivity. Because of this, I'll -close- this topic since I don't think that any new points or opinions are likely to be raised on either of these issues.
Vrythramax
I can't beileve I just spam-canned one of my own posts in this topic, but as Animal pointed out, there is just some information that the general public is not, and should not, be aware of.

If a mod/admin is gone for a prolonged period of time, rest assured the Administration will be privy to facts that may not be released (certain legality issues could arise) to the general public.
Related topics
[php scripts ] phpweather&email
The Unofficial Jokes Thread
How Spyware Works!!!
Delete all over 3 week old posts
Rules for posting in the General Chat forum
PHP Mail Function
Introduction To Cookies :
751 Useful Windows XP Files
Top Chinese General Warns US Over Attack
Help with PhpBB
The changes of frihost [Discuss]
BSD a better OS than Linux?
Forum suggestion
Recognizing Spam on FriHost
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.