FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My RAM? Compatible?? Will it make a big difference???

ncwdavid
Hey, I dont know the slighest thing about computers so I need your help.I currently have a Dell Dimension 5150(I think). I took a screenshot of the main system information thing:

Ye can see the RAM and stuff from there and its only 512mb Sad .

Usualy at the same time I have Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Core FTP Lite, ePrompter, Windows Live Messenger, Firefox and iTunes all running at the same time and maybe Ares. Now with only 512mg RAM it can be a bit slow and I want more. I went to this site Crucial and it sells RAM. I did the compatible test they have on there and I go there results:

Now I want to go up to 2.5GB RAM and in that scan it showed me what is compatible for my computer and I was wondering would it make a big difference to everything? Will it really speed up my computer when running more things? Is it worth the $178? Thanks for any help in advance.
Zyphrius
It is not necessary for you to go up to 2.5 GB, I would suggest that you should have a GIG of ram so double what you have now it will make a difference for you - it will speed up your system and make it work better, for the best performance if you really want it. You don't actually need it but you could go up to 2GIG, that way is a little more pricy and you will notice a bit of an increase from having 1 GIG and pay alot more.

The biggest jump you will find is from 512 to a gig, anything else there is minor improvemnts not a lot. Unless if you are a gamer, In that case, 2 Gig's would be beneficial.

There is absolutly no point to go past 2GIG's, most computers will not have any chage to there system after 2 GIG's you will see pretty much the same perfomace with 2GIG's as you would with 4, because most Operating Systems do not recognize any change after 2 GIG's, it is mostly a wate of money at that point.

I recommend you get another 512 maybe a GIG, other than that you will just be waising money, unless as I said before, if you are a gamer.

Good luck!!
ncwdavid
Wow thanks for that reply. I posted this same kinda post on another forum and the only reply back was "Go for it, maybe even the 4GB". Your reply was very good and I think i will go to the 1GB or maybe get 1GB. Thanks again.
Zyphrius
not a problem my friend,

I hope it goes well and you start getting better performance and speed from your system.

Also at somepoint in the future you may want to look into having some dual channel ram in your computer, it performs better and faster.

I did not suggest it before because this would also be a waist of money for you right now. Because your board may not support this ram and only let it work as single channel ram. Also if you already have some ram in your computer, like you obviously do that ram will only be single channel, so the new ram will only work as single aswell.

So I would say do not worry about that for now, it is only if you feel like upgrading at somepoint, just keep dual channel in mind for then.

Have fun, I hope this solves your issue!
Kelvin
nwcdavid.. there is something u have to note before upgrading your RAM. Have you physically opened your casing to have a look at the RAM slots? Your Dell desktop (i din do a search on the specs) is most likely a P4 and most Dell units use dual channel RAM slots motherboards. If yours is one, then chances are high that your RAM is 256 x 2 instead of 512 x 1. So if you only have 2 RAM slots, then you'll have to remove 1 or both if you want to utilise the dual channel advantage.

I suggest you run CPUZ (download it off the net) and look under the RAM section for more details if you don't want to open up your system.

From there you can decide on either 512 x 2 or 1024 x 2 RAM combination. For today's apps, 1GB is recommended. 512MB is barely sufficient and 256MB sucks... especailly on XP. You will definately notice a difference in performance once you have 1GB of RAM in your desktop.
ncwdavid
Kelvin wrote:
nwcdavid.. there is something u have to note before upgrading your RAM. Have you physically opened your casing to have a look at the RAM slots? Your Dell desktop (i din do a search on the specs) is most likely a P4 and most Dell units use dual channel RAM slots motherboards. If yours is one, then chances are high that your RAM is 256 x 2 instead of 512 x 1. So if you only have 2 RAM slots, then you'll have to remove 1 or both if you want to utilise the dual channel advantage.

I suggest you run CPUZ (download it off the net) and look under the RAM section for more details if you don't want to open up your system.

From there you can decide on either 512 x 2 or 1024 x 2 RAM combination. For today's apps, 1GB is recommended. 512MB is barely sufficient and 256MB sucks... especailly on XP. You will definately notice a difference in performance once you have 1GB of RAM in your desktop.

Look at the second image in my first post and you will see it is 2 x 256. It did a scan on my computer and it told me what I should do. Thanks anyway.
dontbeblocked
Most computers have a limited amount of memory they can handle. Especially Dell computers. I own 2 Dell computers right now 1 of which has 512 and the other 768. This seems fine for me though a little more can't hert. I dont suggest getting more than 1gig because most computers are not compatible with such large amounts even though the scan said it would be compatible I just think it might not be wise. Also computers have a limited amount of space for hardware which you have to think about when buying more ram because if you fill up your last slot with a 512mb chip and then you want to upgrade you have to throw out the 512mb chip to make room for your upgrade of 1gig.

Zyphrius is deffinetly right about only getting 1 gig.
diduknowthat
Don't get 2.5gigs of ram, as 1) it won't run in dual channel and 2) it's pretty much useless. 2 gigs is about the standard for a mid/high end gaming system. 1gig is pretty much the standard for everything else, and 512mb being the minimum.
ncwdavid
If I was to buy the ram from a different site then http://www.crucial.com how would I know what is compatible? Which ram to get?
outofnicks
I'm wondering about my RAM situation also, and am a bit confused by the answers here. Does it have to be a matched pair, or can I have 256 in one slot and 512 in the other?
I'm running only 256mb in a Dell Dimension 4400 P4, but with Ubuntu Linux which seems to work fairly well with the small amount of RAM or at least better than XP.
I will be putting 2 512s in sooner or later, but want to do it one at a time.
Zyphrius
Well..

These are good questions you are asking it is important that you get ram of the speed and make.

The manufacture of the ram is not overly important, Some manufacturers make better quality product than others. To find which manufacturer you wish to go with you would need to research it.

For matching your ram you would need to check the specs of the ram you currently have. It will be marked on the ram itself, there may be scanners you can get to check and see I am not sure, just research that aswell.

What you need to look for is. (My ram is PC3200 DDR400 dual channel) if you look at your ram there will be a sticker on it that specifies the ram speed and type. look for the two I mentioned about my ram.

When getting ram it is most important for that too match.

If you get a dual channel kit and are using single at the moment your dual channel will only work as single channel, in order for dual channel to work, your board needs to support it, u need to only have dual channel in your computer. If you do not have this the ram will only work as single channel.

Also a good thing to keep in mind is that not all ram will work properly so you should do a memory test when you put the ram in, turn off the fast post in your bios so the computer can test it, watch the counter and see if it stalls, if it does there may be an issue with the ram.

You can also download memory testing programs, but I prefer to just disable the fast post for the test, you can re-enable after you test it.

If you are considering going to dual channel ram I recommend the following brands:

1) Geil
2) Corsair
3) Kingston
4) OCZ (This was my #2 sugestion until recently but I have run into issues with it as of late)
jay84h
I built a PC that revolved around OCZ RAM. I had nothing but ISSUES with EVERYTHING in it. It could have been the RAM who knows? I decided to trash that idea and go a different route. I am currently awaiting some parts so I can build an even newer PC now. This time I choose Corsair. I will be sure to let anyone know how it goes. My old build had an Antec Nine Hundred Gaming Case, this one is going to have a Raidmax Scorpio 868 case. Like I stated before, my old RAM was OCZ and this one will be Corsair. I also used a DFI Lanparty mobo before which I switch to the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe mobo. Plus, in the process, I did have an AMD Athlon X2 4600+ Dual core processor chip, which I decided to up it a bit and get the 5200+ Dual core processor chip.