FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have any of you heard Dig by Incubus?

NoelParam
Just wanna know if any of you have heard the song?
what do you think of it?

And if you havent, go listen to it on iTunes or buy the album from Incubus.. its called Light Grenades. or hear it for free on their Myspace page..

IMO i think its the best song I've heard this year. Beautiful track. go and listen!!
Esperanto
The album is kinda mediocre. Dig is a good song, but I just wish the album had more depth. They were great back in their S.C.I.E.N.C.E. days... I don't know what happened since then though...

best track this year is either Intervention or Keep the Car Running by Arcade Fire from their album Neon Bible. The album is seriously one of the best of this decade.
NoelParam
arcade fire is alright i guess... i mean the song Keep the car running has the same chords played for 3mins 29 seconds.. wow amazing technicality.
nah im not dissing them, I just dont get the whole indie thing. Explain to me.
Esperanto
Independent music explores a lot of different artistic venues... for one, most groups focus on a solid theme throughout the entire piece. I guess you could call these bands sort of today's muckrakers (ie - like Upton Sinclair who wrote The Jungle or George Orwell who wrote 1984) Arcade Fire's sophomore album explore a theme of today's culture - it's about how we all cling to things that we think will "save" us... and eventually how those things may in fact destroy us. It's not a concept album... but it is fairly cohesive the entire time.

Plus, you wanna talk technicality? Listen to the string arrangements... doubt Enzinger is writing stuff like that. See... anyone can rip a blues scale on their guitar... but few can take that ability and create a mood with it. Arcade Fire certainly have that down - their music always manages to send me to a certain place... it's quite a euphoric experience. I guess you call it a high without the physical addiction.

Incubus used to be one of my favorite groups... but since then, I've matured a bit more musically. Frankly, their new stuff is just too bland for me. Light Grenades sounds a whole lot like B-Sides taken from A Crow Left of the Murder. It's unfortunate for what was such a creative band back in the 94 to now have disappeared into the realm of pop...
glabase
ya tis a good song - me likey!

it's on their myspace page for ya'll:

http://myspace.com/incubus

i goin to see them in april hurray! Cool Cool Cool
tingkagol
Esperanto wrote:
Plus, you wanna talk technicality? Listen to the string arrangements... doubt Enzinger is writing stuff like that.

true. einziger is no genius. but it's also pointless trying to compare two different bands, don't you think?

i like the incubus now than it was then. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is and will always be good when you're young... but when you grow old, it just seems too juvenile. Plus, except for a few songs, Brandon practically wrote nonsense back then- and i'm not saying Light Grenades is a great lyrical effort (in fact, i think it's a step down from ACLOTM lyrically).

i just started listening to arcade fire recently, amazing band. i like both bands all the same.

regarding best releases for the year 07, i have no idea. and light grenades was released late 06. so... i guess this is void:
Quote:
IMO i think its the best song I've heard this year. Beautiful track. go and listen!!
NoelParam
I really enjoy the lyrics on Arcade Fire songs. They are great and wonderful. Especially on Rebellion and Intervention but I'm just saying their music lacks a bit of creativity. The whole indie scene seems to be that way. Great lyrics but musically its nothing great. It feels like I've heard it all before. I can hardly hear the string arrangements.. sounds like it just follows the beat of the music. Nothing special, honestly.

Quote:
It's unfortunate for what was such a creative band back in the 94 to now have disappeared into the realm of pop...

Well, Incubus earlier efforts are heavily influenced by bands like Mr.Bungle, Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers and if you listen to those bands you can hear the similiarities. However, from Make Yourself onwards you can hear that they have started to make their own 'sound'. No other band sounds like them.
Arcade Fire sounds more pop than Incubus, musically. However they write great lyrics so it doesnt matter. I would enjoy hearing Arcade Fire on the radio as much as Incubus because they write great music. Each have their own style but both still great.

Mike Eizinger could quite possibly be the best NEW guitarist out there IMO. He sounds nothing like all the other guitarist. Each album they put out he comes out with different ideas and styles. On each of their songs he sounds so different. That shows a lot of creativity. If you play guitar yourself you'll find out what Im talking about. You'll be thinking "How'd he come out with that?" Like on Pardon Me, the use of the effects is just.. incredible. No one could have thought of that. Same goes with Pendulous Threads, Sick sad little world, etcetera. Metal guitarist are good technically but they sound like they just play a note faster and louder (No creativity). Eizinger can play anything!

Also, with each Incubus album, they write different songs and they alter their sound a bit. Which is great. "Nothing is permanent but change" - Heraclitus. Have you heard the same Incubus album twice? No they keep on changing because making the same album twice is just boring.
That shows great diversity in their music, and creativity because they can make ANY type of song. Just listen to their albums.

Anyway if you wanna see just why Incubus is so good, just go watch them Live. Watch the technicality, timing, and the way each member's instrument compliments each other. Each member is amazing technically. I'd recommend buying the Incubus : Alive At Red Rocks Dvd to watch & see just why they are so good.
Esperanto
I have that DVD. It is a good performance - but it is sheer technicality. There is very little emotion or stage presence there.

And for the record - Light Grenades is A Crow... pt 2. It is virtually the same album.

I won't waste my time arguing anymore.
NoelParam
    Esperanto
    PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:00 pm Post subject:
    I have that DVD. It is a good performance - but it is sheer technicality. There is very little emotion or stage presence there.

And for the record - Light Grenades is A Crow... pt 2. It is virtually the same album.

I won't waste my time arguing anymore.

yeah.. the lyrics are different, the musical style is different. thats what is great about it. All their albums are like that. It is a musical journey, from the first album to the current one. You can hear so many different styles of music.
Anyway, Incubus fans know that the best way to listen to their music is through their Live shows because thats where you can hear everything they have to offer. Instead of just listening to one album.