FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can I run Ventrilo on here?

KHO
I was wondering If I could run a ventrilo server on my hosting space. And If it is allowed, is it possible?

http://www.ventrilo.com/
Hogwarts
KHO wrote:
I was wondering If I could run a ventrilo server on my hosting space. And If it is allowed, is it possible?

I would say no.

Ventrilo is a server side application/service, and it would take up much server resources not to mention bandwidth.

You'd either need to rent a server, rent some slots on a server, or find a free ventrilo host Sad
wumingsden
KHO wrote:

ventrilo is not installed at the moment.

If it was installed then Bondings would have to be the guy to do it seen as you need telnet or OpenSSH access which only he has.
Although I personally would like it installed, it more than likely will not be. You should wait for a definite answer from bondings himself though.
swizzy
Quote:
Ventrilo is best known for it's superior sound quality and minimal use of CPU resources

thats from the ventrilo site,

but even i think it would not be allowed on frihost (and should not be)
KHO
I've been hosting it on my own network for some time, I originally made this request because my mac server was having problems, however even now that I have set it up fully, I believe that this would be a fine addition to the frihost arsenal of utilities. And also, my Mac is an ultra low spec machine. I got it for the sake of music and personal internet browsing. However, even with iTunes open and running, and FireFox for the internet, the server runs silently in the back with 5 people on it. I am not able to detect a performance decrease. And anything major shows an obvious performance decrease.

But with heavy use, the server would likely kill your bandwidth limit within the first few days. But if Bondings ever planned on releasing a paid package, I believe it would be successful to host one of the pro servers on there for a little extra. I would certainly buy it just out of support for this 'company' because of the services I have come to rely on in the past.