FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

xp hangs during startup

linexpert
hi
i'm having a little problem.
i have xp media edition on my notebook. before anyone asks i did spyware and virus scan.
i just reformatted my pc and installed xp using the disk that came with my gateway notebook.
the problem is after i see the login screen, i logon, and the pc hangs for almost two minutes.

my wallpaper and cursor are there but nothing else. i've gone through my startup items using msconfig and the only items allowed to boot are as follows: zonealarm pro, avast av, norton ghost 2003, and network magic.

edit:
i have 2 gigs of ram
amd turion x2
xp media center
Animal
linexpert wrote:
my wallpaper and cursor are there but nothing else. i've gone through my startup items using msconfig and the only items allowed to boot are as follows: zonealarm pro, avast av, norton ghost 2003, and network magic.

I've heard of this happening before - in fact, my brother had real bother with this same problem. I thought it was something to do with the Anti-Virus autoprotect feature loading - if this doesn't load properly, it may not allow explorer to load. Try uninstalling / reinstalling your virus software to see if this helps.

When you boot the computer and this happens, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and look for "explorer.exe" under the Processes tab. If it's there, end the task then go to FILE > NEW TASK (RUN) and type "explorer" (without the quotes then hit ok). If it's not there, go to FILE > NEW TASK (RUN) and type "explorer" (without the quotes then hit ok).

A few of these methods worked temporarily in my brother's case, but he eventually formatted then reinstalled Windows which fixed the problem. It's a pain, I know, but sometimes it's the only solution to gremlins in your system!
linexpert
i tried doing that buy pressing ctrl - alt - del doesn't do anything until couple minutes late.
johanfh
In msconfig you can switch off all your services. Switch off zonealarm pro, avast av, norton ghost 2003, and network magic. After that: reboot. Does the problem persist? If not, the problem is in one of the services. Switch them on one by one. You now know what causes the problem.

If it does persist after switching all of: start your laptop in safe mode (by pressing F8 ) Is the problem still there?
Try logging the bootprocess: Press F8 and enable boot logging. You can find the created log in your windowsdirectory, the file is called ntbtlog.txt

Good luck!
JohanFH
linexpert
it was zonealarm. i fixed it by unchecking the startup option and put a shortcut in the startup folder in the start menu.
thanks
the thread can be locked now Very Happy