FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting into an IT career?

Mordane
I’ve always loved working with personal computers, repairing them, playing with them and so on. Recently I’ve started to really get sick of my office job (administration) and want to turn my hobby (which I love) into my career (to pay the rent).

Unfortunately my education and knowledge on this matter is very limited, I do not know what sort of standard qualifications are needed to say, become a PC repair man or (god forbid) tech support.

I have done an ECDL Course, which covers the VERY basics but want some form of qualification that employers will actually want to see.

Are they NVQs such as with plumbing or being an electrician? What sorts of pay do these kind of jobs offer? Any help at all will be, as always, massively appreciated.
crdowner
Required education and certifcations are totally up to the person doing the hiring. For example, I have a "Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from the School of Engineering" but no certifications. I started doing user support and within a two years I was doing systems (server) support. Now I do design, implement, and support servers.

Most of my co-workers do not have I.S. degrees but most of them have one or more certifications.

Pay can vary greatly by position and location. I started making about $25,000 nearly 10 years ago. That is probably low for most areas in the US. Now I make about $80K.