FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dude, Where's My 4 Gigabytes of RAM?

umeshtangnu
Due to fallout from a recent computer catastrophe at work, I had the opportunity to salvage 2 GB of memory. I installed the memory in my work box, which brings it up to 4 gigabytes of RAM-- 4,096 megabytes in total. But that's not what I saw in System Information:

Vista System Information, 4 GB installed, 32-bit operating system

Only 3,454 megabytes. Dude, where's my 4 gigabytes of RAM?
Jaan
Are you sure you correctly plugged it in?
And nice showing off bro. Wish I had that. I only have 2gb Sad
KHO
Hmmm, now, fallout. Was there any chance the memory was damaged in the procedure of your acquiring it?
psycosquirrel
You must be running 32-bit Windows. To use more than 3.25Gb, you HAVE to use 64-bit XP or 64-bit Vista. The memory addressing of 32-bit OS's can't (theoretically) use 4Gb of RAM. You may want to take one of the sticks out, as your system can only read ~3.25Gb total with Windows 32-bit, INCLUDING video RAM. So let's assume you are running 2x 7900GTX's (non-SLI). They are both 256Mb cards, so your system should only be able to use 3.25Gb - 2(256Mb) = 2.25Gb of RAM.

So basically what I am saying is that you simply can't run 4Gb of RAM on a 32-bit Windows OS. You need 64-bit. And if you can't switch to 64-bit, it would be beneficial to you to take out one stick.
b4r4t
Yup ... it's the 32bit thing Smile

Now the only reason to have 64bit system is 4GB RAM+ ... and that is in your CASE ... You have to switch to 64Bit system or sell one stick and replace it with 1GB (you can go for party or lot of beer for the rest of cash Very Happy )
mOrpheuS
It's really sad when even the computer problems are copy-pasted. Rolling Eyes

-close-