FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

book what must be read by everyone??

oleszka
Tell what book must be read by everyone (author,title and from what country)
i think Master and Margarita by M. Bulgakov (Russia)
calicamper
I don't know about must be read, but Chinua Achebe's Thing's Fall Apart, from Nigeria, is very good and carries a good message.
Soulfire
The DaVinci Code was an amazing book, although I am not sure if "everyone" could read it because it requires a relatively high level of maturity. One must also be able to take criticism to their own faith (if they are Christian/Catholic.. like me).
sondosia
I LOOOOOOVE Master & Margarita! Unfortunately I had to read it in English, because if I tried to read the Russian version I'm pretty sure that a lot of the meaning would be lost on me. I can read Russian but not all that well.

I think that everyone should read 1984 by George Orwell (England). It's a lesson that people (especially world leaders) really need to think about.
roninmedia
Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein

It has a unique perspective with its social and political themes beyond the war involved in the novel. A history and moral philosophy class in the book deals with the duties and virtues of the individual and the duties and virtues owed to the government or society as a whole. It almost makes some interesting points of we should base ourselves on what man is and what man should be.
tingkagol
veronika decides to die
by Paulo Coelho

i felt an immense afterglow after reading it.
BlockUp
tingkagol wrote:
veronika decides to die
by Paulo Coelho

i felt an immense afterglow after reading it.

^^ That book is amazing.

But I still prefer The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. It is in English, I'm not sure what country is it from. It probably in many translations as well, it is such a great book. It has elements of science-fiction but the storyline is very realistic.
matliw
Magus by John Fowles

Truly postmodern trip into shifting realities. Undermining one's cultural ballast. Great experience relativizing your oint of view. Even though less formally consistent (Fowles edited it several times) than French Leutenants Woman (also by Fowles) may still shake any complacent mind.
chastise
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer deserves to be read by all young adults. It portrays the story of a dark romance between a human and vampire, who's personality is so unique yet human-like at the same time. The scenes are compelled by both romance and suspense and leave you thirtsting for more.
LukeZone
Stiller by Max Frisch

Homo Faber also by Max Frisch

and my personal favorite Ganz unten by Guenter Wallraff

Also A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway is a very good book, also good for you English guys^^

If you want a interesting author in general I would advise you Friedrich Dürrenmatt. Its my favorite author.

If you have questions about German books in general you can contact.[/b]
ddukki
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Inspired me to tears. Choices in life are the strongest influences that affect a person. Did that make sense?
TomGrey
Wow, so many good books recommended, especially many I haven't read.

But where is JRRT? The Lord of the Rings is really needed in the modern age -- so much gaming and computer fantasy is derived and related to it. It's also a classic: Good vs. Evil, with lazy attempts at the good leading to victory of evil.

Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead is important, for understanding individualism. (Though perhaps Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a better book.)

The Bible is important for understanding Christianity, and the West, and modern civilization.

But these are classics all should know are important.

I think maybe Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card, is worth a plug here; have read it a few times and it's great. The need to destroy the enemy...

Thanks for so many great recommendations of less known stuff -- but I'm spending too much time on the computer (and blogs) to read much.
evanc88
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers
What is the What by Dave Eggers
missdixy
the book of laughter and forgetting ~ milan kundera
LBDT
ddukki wrote:
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Inspired me to tears. Choices in life are the strongest influences that affect a person. Did that make sense?

Currently reading Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck. Its a very interesting book which deals with social issues, friendship, enjoying life...
LBDT
The selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins deserves to be read! Is a book on evolution, which argued that selection occurred at the level of the gene.
Blummer
I'd mention a few and the list can be very long. I'm not saying famous stuff like Pride and Prejudice or The Great Gatsby should not be read, but in my view there are many books very relevant to our times, such as Orwell's works. Lord of The Rings, considered an entertaining work, a piece of popular culture (thanks to Peter Jackson), is actually more than it looks like from the outside - there's more philosophy, a good story of a friendship, patience and courage and etc. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (I believe this is how you write the full name) is another work relevant to all times. I'd agree with the first poster - Master and Margarita is another enjoyable book, with its own dynamics, philosophy and the story of restoring justice in 50-s/60-s Moscow (not on a large scale, but I love the way the demonic characters have fun with the typical soviet society)
jajarvin
AUTHOR: Eliot, Thomas Stearns, 1888–1965.
TITLE: Prufrock, and other observations

Code:
Poetry may make us from time to time a little more aware of the deeper,
unnamed feelings which form the substratum of our being, to which we rarely penetrate;
for our lives are mostly a constant evasion of ourselves.

T.S.Elilot
Swoldier
First I have to say it can be <<Pride And Prejudice>> ,a great work about views on marriage, many of which still suit nowadays.

Then I'd like to recommend <<Peter Pain>> and <<Little Prince>> and <<Wind in Willow>> and <<Alice's adventures in wonderland>>, I enjoyed them in my childhood. They all made me happy and provided me full of imagination of the world unknown.

At last it can be <<Little Women >> and <<Daddy-Long-Legs>>.If you find yourself lonely and frustrated, or in very bad mood, nearly get lost in your life, then these two books above can help you to come through any tough time.

I love books, for they never lie to you, they are loyal and can always be ideal company.
Insanity
I think to Kill a Mockingbird should be read by everyone because it's such a classic tale of so many good themes such as racist and growing up in a tough world. You learn so much about the growth of different people and how people are judged. it's ort of like Pride and Prejudice in that way, but there are much other differences in that book. It's also fun to read because it's light hearted in many ways, but you also learn a lot about the court room and the drama assocated with it.