FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Old School Consoles

What is your oldest console?
Atari
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Nintendo
56%
 56%  [ 21 ]
Sega
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
N64
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
PSX
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sega Saturn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 37

sanwixh
I just got bored over playing online games and practically doing nothing on my PC, so I borrowed my cousin's PS One (Mine broke 3 years ago).

I found it still fun and I'm now enjoying late nights playing Valkyrie Profile. Do you guys still remember the good old days when is was simply called PS, and no number or better yet Nintendo.

It's still fun when you dig up those relics and find them still working, Wish my nintendo still works I love playing elevator action and Mario world
TarsajumaClan
Mine would be the super nintendo...

Since my original game boy does not count... that thing was old.
pll
PS one is surely the console where I've took most of my young time (from 6 years to 11 years old), before I got a computer.
I was playing every day and nights to these games :

Metal gear solid
Gran Turismo
Resident Evil 1,2,3
Tomb Raider 1,2,3,4
Tekken 2,3
Crash Bandicoot
It was the good time, I remember while playing TEKKEN me and my friends we did push-ups (during other of my friends was playing) to be like the person on the screen.
sanwixh
Wow, you must be young! when I was your age I was still playing Nintendo and the Sega console hasn't come out yet

Still remember the blocky gameboy, the adults back then would buy it just to play tetris the whole day, and kids would take it away to play islander

I miss Islander >.< what's not fun about a skating cave man throwing axes on anything that moves
drag0n
tho oldest console i have is a 'rambo' =) got it in hungary Very Happy
sanwixh
drag0n wrote:
tho oldest console i have is a 'rambo' =) got it in hungary Very Happy

Is there a rambo console? or was it a game on a console? Razz
pll
Sanwixh, for information I am 15 years old!
b4r4t
my first was... NES Smile And not original NES but ... something what in poland was called PEGASUS Smile
Than ... PSX ... and PS2 ... nothing else Smile]

Ah i had N64 a little while , but it wasn't mine Smile GoldenEye 007 ... Cool
melissareich
Oldschool Super Mario! I love it...
sanwixh
pll wrote:
Sanwixh, for information I am 15 years old!

You are young, hehe your only a year older than my brother ^^

Quote:
Oldschool Super Mario! I love it...

Yeah old school mario is cool, where else would you want to see a fat plumber kill monster and shoot fire from thin air Very Happy
MrBlueSky
My first console was an Atari 2600

I liked to play H.E.R.O., River Raid, Asteroids and Pitfall on it.

(River Raid)

(H.E.R.O.)
sanwixh
Cool, now that's an old school console in every sense, you can still see the blocks on the images, i wonder if any here bought the pacman arcade game before atari went out.
Mordane
Game Theory Admiral !

Portable Nes!

http://www.gbax.com/gametheoryadmiral.html

Highly "um"legal, Totaly Grey Market!
sanwixh
Was there ever a portable NES?

I heard of a portable SEGA PS and gameboy, is there really one?
xanarulz
My oldest system is the Super NES, I can say proudly all the games and the system work 100%, in fact I played Super Mario on it the other day with a few friends of mine Laughing
scottycrip
I am old enough to remember and to have played the intellivision (this was pre-atari). My friends one year bought me an intellivision for my birthday and to this day, it still works. These games have 1979 copyrights on them. Great sports games and fun action games. You do get sick of these games after about 5 minutes, but they're still fun to play. One exception is astrosmash: I can play that game for hours.

Frog Bog: the best game ever.

edit: if anyone has seen Grandma's Boy, Frog Bog makes an appearance. When I first saw this movie, I was floored. What a fun concept: jump from lilypad to lilipad trying to catch flies
sanwixh
I wasn't even born back then, I don't even know what an intellivision is >.<
eday2010
My oldest console at the moment is the Sega Master System (1986-1991). It was up against the NES and lost because of Nintendo's unfair monopoly tactics. But boy, it had some awesome games for it, and it lived longer in Europe, and even longer in Brazil.

I also have a Sega Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast. I will be getting my old SNES from my parents at Easter, and their Nintendo 64. I am going to try to grab their old Atari 2600 Junior as well. Then that will be the oldest system I have.
chrismen
I voted for nintendo but only because there was no super nintendo.
sanwixh
Isn't the Super nintendo equivalent to SNES or N64?
kerryworkman
scottycrip wrote:
I am old enough to remember and to have played the intellivision (this was pre-atari). My friends one year bought me an intellivision for my birthday and to this day, it still works. These games have 1979 copyrights on them. Great sports games and fun action games. You do get sick of these games after about 5 minutes, but they're still fun to play. One exception is astrosmash: I can play that game for hours.

YEA BABY!!! Intellivision all the way! That was my first console. I used to love this game called night stalker, top view map shooting blocks at robots, bats, and other blocky enemies ..... Sooooo many hours of my life wasted ..... gotta love video games ;D

I remember when Mario Bros came out on Arcade stand-up machines and thinking that it was the best graphics ever ...... merp. It is insane to see where games have gotten to from their humble beginnings in PONG. Can't wait for V.R. to take over the video game world.
scottycrip
Quote:
I used to love this game called night stalker

Oh man, I loved that game too. Have you played it recently? It's so slow! I can't believe I was so into that.. but if that's what you have, it's what you love. I love intellivision sound effects too (the noise in night stalker when you got zapped, classic). NHL hockey was really fun for me. The tripping noise was great and when you sat in the box, they had to make the blocky graphics look like you're sitting so it was all sideways and it looked like a pregnant woman the way he was hunched over.

The one game I spent the most time with was Demon Attack. Classic... oh wait, maybe astrosmash...
ThornsOfSorrow
I'm too young to have played Atari, Intellivison, etc, but I did grow up playing Sega Genesis. I even took a break from PS2 for a while just to play some old Sonic games, but after a few weeks of that, my Genesis stopped working. Sad
Crxss
My oldest console that I still have is my N64.. I sold my super nintendo and library of SNES games for $50 to a mexican lady. What a mistake that was, the SNES was one of my favorite consoles ever. My PS1 is broken, and my PS2 just recently broke after having it the week it came out. Now I'm hardcore PC gamer and I've got a new Wii.

But the oldest console I ever had, was the NES. I used to play Chip and Dale Rescue Adventurers, or something like that. I never passed the first level, instead I used to trap my dad in a box and throw him down ledges to robot dogs. Good times.
jay84h
My oldest console would be the regular good 'ole Nintendo, can never part with that. It's around 19 years old. So old that if I attempt to play it, you have to do that old fashioned blow into the game cartridge a few dozen times to get it to work.
glenn83e
currently the oldest one that I have at this time would be the nintendo 64 and PS2. however at my moms I have An atari with about 50-60 games. NES SNES Playstation 1 and a Game Cube with a bunch of games to boot. Can never get rid of the classics. never know when you are gonna want to pick up and try and beat bowser again or beat your highest score in asteroids.
Zyphrius
So my oldest console system eh???

Well I used to have an Atari, but I have no idea what happened to that, haven't seen it in years, it must be gone.

LOL

I used to always play on the Super Nintendo and regular Nintendo, they were the bomb, but I believe my Super Nintendo was sold.

I used my regular Nintendo about 6 months ago, it works awesome you don't even need to blow into the cartridge to get it to works, it still works awesome.

I love Contra, that is the gear, I need to find that console again..

Funny thing is I never owned any console after the Super Nintendo, I went the PC after that and now am a hardcare PC gamer, which is the best way to play games in any case.

But of course the old consoles have sentimental value.

LOL
willy101
Oldest console? I want to say the Atari or Commodore 64 but i'd be lying, i'm not that old =P
I guess it would be the NES
oldest gaming device would be the game and watch that thing was amazing haha
though now i can relive all of them through my pc Smile
sanwixh
Whoa! Never thought that the "blow in the cartridge" trick was a worldwide phenomenon, and all this time i thought we were the only ones who did that Laughing Some people even rub the cartridge on their armpits then follow it with a blow, I tried it a couple of time myself and it worked wonders Laughing
hlavco
My oldest is an NES, which my parents owned before I was born. They'd play that thing all night after we went to bed... knew about 1ups in Mario I had never seen before.

None of us learned until last year about the trick to restart in the same world after game over. So many wasted hours... days, probably.
TruPain
I too am old enough to remmber the older systems that you do not have listed...

My First System owned was the Atari 2600... but the poll asks "what is your oldest console", well, I have an Magnavox Odyssey System that is copyright 1977... and I even have the voice modual for that...
Telnven
sanwixh wrote:
Whoa! Never thought that the "blow in the cartridge" trick was a worldwide phenomenon, and all this time i thought we were the only ones who did that Laughing Some people even rub the cartridge on their armpits then follow it with a blow, I tried it a couple of time myself and it worked wonders Laughing

I've got a NES and it works all the time Wink!
Senshida
My oldest console was the Super Nintendo. It was so fun back then.

I remember playing a Zelda-ish game for it... but I don't think it was A Link to the Past... Was there a part in a forest, where its raining, with a great fairy cave, and all that?
Osmodius
eday2010 wrote:
My oldest console at the moment is the Sega Master System (1986-1991). It was up against the NES and lost because of Nintendo's unfair monopoly tactics. But boy, it had some awesome games for it, and it lived longer in Europe, and even longer in Brazil.

Heh, the master system is still produced in Brazil.

Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_System:

"The latest version is the "Master System III Collection". It uses the same design as the Master System II (Master System III in Brazil), but is white and comes in three versions: one with 74 games built-in, other with 105 games and another with 112 games. However, in Brazil, it is hard to find the 3-D Glasses, the Light Phaser and even cartridges, leaving most Brazilians with only built-in games."
Naberius
Wow memory lane or what? Atari 2600, hahahaa had one my mother hated it she read somewhere the console would damage the TV so it got banned.

C64 had one, amiga 500 while not really a console was used by me and my fiends just for gaming.

Nintendo and super mario rocked oh and the original Zelda. I don't think I played anything but these two on Nintendo.

Ahh miss spent youth... bliss.
medievalman26
I had an Atari but we sorta lost it so I have to say that SNES is the oldest one I still have but my friend has his original Nintendo system. Go SNES/N64
kerryworkman
scottycrip wrote:
Quote:
I used to love this game called night stalker

Oh man, I loved that game too. Have you played it recently? It's so slow! I can't believe I was so into that.. but if that's what you have, it's what you love. I love intellivision sound effects too (the noise in night stalker when you got zapped, classic). NHL hockey was really fun for me. The tripping noise was great and when you sat in the box, they had to make the blocky graphics look like you're sitting so it was all sideways and it looked like a pregnant woman the way he was hunched over.

The one game I spent the most time with was Demon Attack. Classic... oh wait, maybe astrosmash...

I find it funny how bad some of those old games are in comparison to the visual mega games I play now. At the same time the fun and replay value of some of the old schools games is still unmatched.
VG Wyvern
The oldest console I have is Intellivision. I remember my older brother and I used to play for hours. I still do love Snafu. I'm thinking of remixing the songs in that. It actually had some catchy music. Cool

Anyway, I still do get to play those old games. We got a game called "Intellivision Lives" for the Gamecube. Ah, nostalgia.
kerryworkman
VG Wyvern wrote:
The oldest console I have is Intellivision. I remember my older brother and I used to play for hours. I still do love Snafu. I'm thinking of remixing the songs in that. It actually had some catchy music. Cool

That is awsome I remember snafu that game was down. For such simple music it was kind of catchy.
guugu
8bit nes <3 i played wizards and warriors 3 today Surprised
poly
I remember playing these..
{name here}
I've got an Atari 2600 but I really want to get a Magnavox Odyssey(the very first video gaming console not counting the Brown Box).
Geminh
The first system I owned was probably the NES. I can't remember if it was the Master System, but I'm pretty sure it was the NES. There are too many games I remembered playing, and the library for this system was amazing. Even some of the crappier games seemed fun back then.
medievalman26
sanwixh wrote:

Actually no, the SNES/Super Nintendo is completely different. The N64 had completely different graphics. This one is N64

while SNES had awesome games like this one

graphics got better for the N64(obviously)
Kelcey
My two favorite systems are the SNES and the PS1. NES follows close behind. I think those 3 are just the top consoles of all time. Speaking of Valkyrie Profile, I actually found Valkyrie Profile Silmeria better than VP1. Anyways, yeah I miss the days of where a company (let's say square) wouldn't COMPLETELY rely on established franchises and would release a new IP (let's say Xenogears). Nowadays, on all 3 "next gen" systems, we're seeing companies simply ****** and cash out on the big established franchises. Square for example... pretty much everything is final fantasy something. I love FF, but I want the Square from the SNES and PS1 days.
kerryworkman
sanwixh wrote:

SNES is the abbreviation for Super Nintendo Entertainment System so it is the same. However the SNES had 16 bits and the N64 as it's name implies is a 64 bit system, soooo just a little different. In comparison to todays systems it was only baby steps away.
kizarop
I had fake of nintendo called pegasus - fully compatibile Very Happy