FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A flash forum

m-productions
NOTE: Yes i used the "search" and yes this has been suggested before, but the last time was about 14 days less than 1 year ago.

in this topic all that was said is that topics about flash should be placed in "other coding" and then the topic was locked.

I dont think this should be the case. Flash has now become a massive part of web development. An as frihost is for web hosting, i believe that there should indeed be a forum for flash. Also flash is not just coding, thus should not be placed in the "other". Furthermore, if it had its own forums, this might encourage others to try and learn flash, which I think everyone should attempt.

Also when I see people suggest a new forum, the usually reason for it being turned down is the fact of the need of a moderator for this section, in this case, i dont think that would be a problem for there are many flash capable people on frihost.
reddishblue
I agree with this, I would very much like to use flash and its becoming a major web development tool, it will soon outgrow the Other Codes forum, I agree, Support Given
ocalhoun
Quite. I'll be needing to learn flash soon for a site that I'm building, and it would be great to be able to do so at frihost, rather than have to look for some other, unfamiliar place to learn it. (And such places are usually centered around one piece of proprietary software used to edit flash)

If nothing else, it could be officially combined with one of the other coding forums.
(In the same way that php and mysql or css and java are combined.)
m-productions
Im not so sure it should be combined with another "scripting" forum, flash is not only scripting... it used for intro movies, animations, buttons, stuff like that which does not need codeing... and on the other hand, there are loads of stuff flash can do that needs scripting.... so just throwing it into a scripting forum Is not a very good idea.
ocalhoun
^Well, no matter how its done, I am in favor of it.
CyanEyed
yeah....the other day i had a question about flash but i didnt know where to put it. what are the chances or getting a forum for flash?

CyanEyed
Azmo
well, I agree that a flash forum would be great since flash is so huge.. but is the interest and skills in flash huge on this forum? thing is that we got so much to discuss here (alot of fun stuf) so I guess it would take alot of time to get the flash forum up and running rly good.. not just coders/programers here.. hm.. don't rly know tho..

anyways.. would be cool with a flash forum, if it worked Very Happy
Boffel
I also want a flash forum! I want to learn making flash games, flash movies, flash site etc...

Come on! We need this!
Droop
Well it's a good idea, but i dont think it's worth the time and effort. So much more work would have to be done and then when it comes to updating it could take for ever plus it takes longer to just do one page vs doing it in html. anywho good luck with this - happy posting!!!
reddishblue
Droop wrote:
Well it's a good idea, but i dont think it's worth the time and effort. So much more work would have to be done and then when it comes to updating it could take for ever plus it takes longer to just do one page vs doing it in html. anywho good luck with this - happy posting!!!

What time and effort? It takes no time at all to create a new forum, the only "time" is for people to start posting in the forum.

I don't get it, why aren't we hearing from staff about this suggestion, it is a good suggestion and it has good support, what's up?
tidruG
To me personally, it's not a bad idea, but it's not particularly useful either. I don't really like the idea of a separate forum dedicated solely to Flash (we have way too many forums anyway), but at the same time, we do need a forum where you can discuss Flash, so it's not an idea I'm rejecting either.

Note: I did fuse your two double-posts. Please remember that the "edit" button can be used by you.
pashmina
We could at least create a sub forum for this. Or at least deploy a mod that would allow to create a sub forum for phpBB2.xx
Under the sub forum or the baby board they could be other bunch of software help like flash, photoshop etc etc..
secondeye
yes offcourse there should be some Flash forum where We can ask And Send Some Tips And tricks about Flash and Action script, this may Help Us very more and in the improvment Of out Flash animation, To be frank am too weak in Flash animation LOlz Laughing
reddishblue
tidruG wrote:

Note: I did fuse your two double-posts. Please remember that the "edit" button can be used by you.

Editing doesn't bump a topic, it was about two weeks after my first post when I double posted to bump the topic.
Bockman
reddishblue wrote:
it was about two weeks after my first post when I double posted to bump the topic.

It is also not allowed to bump topics without a good reason..

and this
Quote:
I don't get it, why aren't we hearing from staff about this suggestion, it is a good suggestion and it has good support, what's up?

really does NOT add anything to the topic...

Be Well Cool
reddishblue
Bockman wrote:
reddishblue wrote:
it was about two weeks after my first post when I double posted to bump the topic.

It is also not allowed to bump topics without a good reason..

and this
Quote:

really does NOT add anything to the topic...

Be Well Cool

It was good reason, the staff hadn't posted or payed any attention, is it so bad that I wanted this topic to be noticed, rather then let it sink to the next page?
tidruG
reddishblue wrote:
tidruG wrote:

Editing doesn't bump a topic, it was about two weeks after my first post when I double posted to bump the topic.

No, actually it wasn't.

The post just above mine was posted on Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:20 am (IST - GMT+5.5).
The post I merged was posted on Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:34 am.
If you want proof of this, I can send you a screenshot as I have not deleted the other post. I have simply sent it to the spam can.
7h 14m is not equal to 2 weeks Wink

Anyway, rather not get into this unnecessary debate here.

The reason the staff probably haven't replied or posted their opinions is because of what I said in me previous reply. I don't think the staff thinks we need more forums. There are already more than 50 of them, and instead of adding a new forum dedicated only to Flash, we could expand one forum's name and description to include Flash.

Photoshop is probably a lot more popular than Flash, and we don't have a forum dedicated to exclusively to Photoshop, do we?
Bockman
To end this discussion (you've found a good way to keep this on top, but i also know a good way to make it disappear...)

Your post was a bump and it is NOT allowed. WE are not obliged to reply to every post and we only do so when we have something to say. IF we don't have anything to say, we don't... no bumping on account of it, period.

You wanted opinions... my vote for this flash forum:

NAY! ... we already have way too many forums as it is.

Be Well Cool

P.S. - any other off topic post (*bump*) WILL be canned on sight. If you want to continue bumpin... erm... debating your merged post, feel free to pm me.
James007
People! People! Calm down!

Now, let's get to the main topic... it's a hen-house inhere.
Do we need a Flash forum?

I think it is indeed a bit painful to catalogue "Flash" under "others". It is a bit on the 'easy solution side' anyway. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I think we do need a Flash forum. It has become as important as html, css and javascript anyway. What would you think about adding it to that section in stead of putting it in the "others" category?

This solution has many advantages:
  • People will get a clearer structure as html, css, javascript and Flash are 'brothers in code' (I thought that up myself, thank you).
  • Flash topics won't get lost in this weird degrading "others" category.
  • This solution saves our precious forum home page space.
  • You won't get a forum filled with 5 posts. (Some people are scared this will be the case, so this solution eliminates that possibility).
  • While Bondings is adding "Flash" to the forum's name, he can change the forum description as well, because at the moment, it is a bit on the funny side. (But don't tell him that... sssst)

What do you think? Cool (I'm not saying this will be implemented, I'm just giving some ideas.)
m-productions
James007 wrote:
People! People! Calm down!

Now, let's get to the main topic... it's a hen-house inhere.
Do we need a Flash forum?

I think it is indeed a bit painful to catalogue "Flash" under "others". It is a bit on the 'easy solution side' anyway. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I think we do need a Flash forum. It has become as important as html, css and javascript anyway. What would you think about adding it to that section in stead of putting it in the "others" category?

This solution has many advantages:
  • People will get a clearer structure as html, css, javascript and Flash are 'brothers in code' (I thought that up myself, thank you).
  • Flash topics won't get lost in this weird degrading "others" category.
  • This solution saves our precious forum home page space.
  • You won't get a forum filled with 5 posts. (Some people are scared this will be the case, so this solution eliminates that possibility).
  • While Bondings is adding "Flash" to the forum's name, he can change the forum description as well, because at the moment, it is a bit on the funny side. (But don't tell him that... sssst)

What do you think? Cool (I'm not saying this will be implemented, I'm just giving some ideas.)

I think thats a great idea! And all the reasons you have said just show that a flash forum would be good! Personly I only script in flash and php for my webpages, its just so much faster, and Looks so much nicer ( if done right) And you can easily make the file size small. I know this would not be added any time soon (even tho It takes no more than 20 seconds to add a new section) but if it ever does come, it will be very cool. And as I said in the first post, there are plenty of people here (such as me) that would be more than happy to help people with their questions in this forum.

Next @tidruG

You had a very good point there with the "well photoshop dosnt have its own forum and its bigger than flash" Well it is bigger, but not by much... but heres the thing..what is photoshop used for??? One thing, editing of pictures....yes it can do a lot of them... but whats flash do? It can script, creat movies, webpages, programs...A lot more things..and on top of that, it needs a lot more support, people need help with scripts, people need to know how to get animations to work right.. theres just so much more that people would need help with in flash than in photoshop (im not saying people dont need help in photoshop, im just saying that its no match compared ot flash)
Bockman
James007 wrote:

This solution has many advantages:[list][*]People will get a clearer structure as html, css, javascript and Flash are 'brothers in code' (I thought that up myself, thank you).

This suggestion looks a lot more viable than an exclusive forum for flash.

I'd have no problems in moving Flash from "Others" into the "Html, CSS and Javascript".

My only problem will be when we get to "Html, PHP, ASP, CSS, Javascript and Flash", it'll be a mess to understand anything in that forum.

Be Well Cool
James007
He likes it! He likes it! He likes it! He likes it! He likes it!... Very Happy

A mess? How? If you are referring to confusing topic names such as "I have a coding problem." (not stating which language...), we always had that kind of problems, so it shouldn't be to hard finding a solution for it.
Bockman
James007 wrote:
He likes it! He likes it! He likes it! He likes it! He likes it!... Very Happy

A mess? How? If you are referring to confusing topic names such as "I have a coding problem." (not stating which language...), we always had that kind of problems, so it shouldn't be to hard finding a solution for it.

I don't like it.. I just don't dislike it Razz (I have a Mean reputation to hold here for christ sake Razz )

As for the organization, there is always the tags option, but people seldom use them...

What i meant was the too many languages in just one forum will make it harder to understand.. but if and when theat time comes, we'll get a new way of making it work.

Be Well Cool