FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Steam games

realkiller
OMFG why did halflife become steam games stam is like the buggiest game engine ever they shouldnt be aloud to use an engine that buggy and earn loads of money its stupid if you ask me everyday without fail my games all F**k up il be able to play for like 30mins then my game crashes iv reinstalled steam and its contents so many times i cant be assed anymore i run servers they work perfect but i cant p[lay em curse you steam curse you!!!!!!!

Edit (by Bondings): Please watch your language!
MYP415
The concept of steam is good and it does stop many people who try to pirate games, but I agree with you that its very buggy and annoying for users. I think they should work on creating a new steam with the same concept, except a little simpler and less complicated.
andy26
I actually like the steam engine, plus steam and valve have been parters along time the other day it hit me "steam, valve, steam and valve" but anyway back to the subject i think its a great security fraud system and i like the VAC which stopes people from cheating in games i really hate it when your on a public server and a noob comes along and it turns out to be a hacker that can shoot through a wall.
Vladalf
realkiller wrote:
OMFG why did halflife become steam games stam is like the buggiest game engine ever they shouldnt be aloud to use an engine that buggy and earn loads of money its stupid if you ask me everyday without fail my games all F**k up il be able to play for like 30mins then my game crashes iv reinstalled steam and its contents so many times i cant be assed anymore i run servers they work perfect but i cant p[lay em curse you steam curse you!!!!!!!

The game engine for Half-Life is GoldSource and for Half-Life 2, Source.
Steam is the engine they use to distribute games.
jay84h
MYP415 wrote:
The concept of steam is good and it does stop many people who try to pirate games, but I agree with you that its very buggy and annoying for users. I think they should work on creating a new steam with the same concept, except a little simpler and less complicated.

I agree with MYP415, the concept of the steam engine is a very nice idea, but can it be a little less buggier? The bugs are what throws steam off. It is a nice program that works off of a great engine, but the bugs need to be worked. Valve are indeed the best company I have seen to protect games from being pirated. I would say it be best if they come up with a new program, Steam version 2. In this version, have the same great engine, as well as all, if not most of the bugs resolved so there would be less issues, and more stability.
PseudoKnight
Let me guess... you're using Norton anti-virus? Seriously, the way you talk about it, the problem is probably something really dumb.

I have used Steam since it's beta and I think the benefits of the system more than make up for the minor nuisances that have resulted from it. Considering it's the first of it's kind, I'd say it's rather successful. It's the only anti-piracy method outside of cd-keys that I support.

Free weekends rock.
Warlord
i agree i think steam should make a whole new engine or curl into a little ball and crawl in a small dark hole and sod off lol its sooooo buggy :S i love there ideas tho and they have good intentions but the bugs STEAM PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR ENGINE PLAY SOME GAMES YOURL SEE THE BUGS OR PAY ME TO BE A BUG HUNTER IL FIND YOU SOOOO MANY LOL!!! no but really its soooo buggy like every so often it closes my game for me now if i wanted it closed id close it my self... also games arcade is no better really well maybe a little but bugs bugs bugs damn squash the little ....... humm -Cough-

well hope they find the answers to solve the problems apart fro them bugs steam rules Razz
Zyphrius
Personally I am a big fan of Steam, I have been using it almost a year now and it has only crashed on me like 6 times. Thats pretty damn good.

Once it crashed and had all my games loaded as Pre-Load complete, I was like wtf, but all I did was close out of it and reopen it, it did a quick update to the system and then the games were all accessible again.

I love the concept of Steam and how it easily groups all your games into their control panel.

The security system it has is the best that I have ever seen. I love how it has VAC in it so that if someone tries hacking and the admin of that server reports the individual the the VAC system, they get banned from all VAC servers, that is very nice, I hate hackers.

If I notice a hacker in a server I will target them as much as I can to try and make them leave the server. Most do when they realize someone that is not hacking is taking them out while they are hacking.

Of course I am still kind of new to CSS and so I am not the best player so I can't always scare the hacker off. LOL

I agree with Jay84h, Steam should make Steam 2.0 to try and clear up all the bugs that are out there now, but you all have to agree that they are doing an excellent job so far. Keep up the great work Steam and keep working on those Bugs!!
carlokes
Hi there,

I have CSS installed on my computer and, although I'm not the one playing it, my best friend plays it a lot and i don't see many bugs on it, at least he never woke me up from my naps while he is playing to solve any trouble at all.

Well every online game has problem for the simple fact the it has to be compatible with a lot of different systems and theres also the lag problem which is probably the worse part of the online games.
PseudoKnight
Steam already is on 2.0. In fact, much of it is using 3.0 code now. They're constantly improving it and it's more stable than ever. Outside of the occassional glitchiness of the favorites browser, I haven't encountered an issue in quite some time.

They semi-recently added invites, which is just awesome. I can't wait for it to be expanded to more games.
Vinas
I'll always be a WON fan. Razz When Half-Life decided to switch over to Steam, I felt so let down and betrayed. It was hard for me to make the switch, but I've kinda gotten used to Steam now though it's not my favourite thing in the world. :/
photon
Steam had definitely matured! 2 years back it was literally a pain to get it working correctly. It would crash frequently and without a warning, and it had far too many bugs for a production version of a software. But the way valve has been working on steam is definitely impressive. I have never had problems with it crashing, and it pretty much works the way it should. Except for a few connection issues (which are due to server downtimes) steam has served me well. Its more secure than WON, and definitely a hands up Smile
realkiller
Never the less steam i think need to remake the steam engine i hate it as do many of 100s of people its to buggy they should make a brand new steam make it look better too lol ugly thing XD they call it steam coz they are actualy trying to P people off and creat steam and guess what.... they are doing a wounderful job of creating steam its anoys the hell out of me... any one here agree they should remake it?? Razz
Osmodius
Steam has a bad rep for instability, but I've never had a problem with it, ever.

It's just like Windows, the OS doesn't cause any real problems, the user does.
Sparda
Hey, if it is ok.. I have a question about this Steam.

How do I get the games to actually be played? I tried downloading a few different free games for Steam and I can't play them. Is there sapose to be an .exe for the download? I only got data files in my downloads. And all shortcuts for these games open up Steam.
hofodomo01
Hmm...when you download a game for steam (assuming you've paid for it if it costs money), it should automatically show up in your games tab.

If it's a third-party mod, make sure you've read the install instructions (you have to put it in a specific folder, etc...)

You either have to launch the game directly from steam, or you have to put a parameter after the shortcut (i.e. -game cstrike.....or something like that)
realkiller
Well if its like the third party games but like for the hl mod eg... svencoop you will need to have paid for the half-life mod for svencoop to work as it uses the half-life engine meaning you cant play it without half-life installed but im sure there are some you can play without having half-life but if you dont have half-life id 100% buy it even tho steam sucks Razz i love all the games its just the steam engine that bugs the hell out of me i just wish they would remake steam omg wait sod it ima email them an beg Razz
YellowShadow
Steam is not the game engine. Source is the game engine. Steam is the content distribution system like Xbox has Xbox Live.
realkiller
yes theres the HALF-LIFE 1 engine and the source engine eg HALF-LIFE2
realkiller
oh and yeh steams classed as an engine too thats why they call it the steam engine lol
YellowShadow
realkiller wrote:
oh and yeh steams classed as an engine too thats why they call it the steam engine lol

Took my a while to get that lol SmileSmileSmileSmile
Chris24
I like and understand the concept of what steam is doing. BUT, at least test the patches and upgrades that they are putting up there. I haven't played a steam game in a while, (maybe because of this) but when I did and there was an upgrade, bam the game was unplayable and if you went to the steam forums you couldn't get the page loaded due to the heavy traffic.

If they did perfect the patch releases and upgrades to the point where I could play the game AFTER the patch was installed then I would re-consider playing a steam game again. til then, I won't be playin.....
Scott
I like steam and haven't had any problems with it. I only play CS and TFC though.
YellowShadow
The main thing that throws me off is that it has no customer service and the forums can't be accessed when most of the Steam users can't login to the program. Steam right now is really pointless. Maybe in a year or two it would be good.
m-productions
Steam in itself is a great idea, its finally a way to make sure that a company gets the money it should have. It is very organized and just makes it easier to get their games, however, in the long run I must say it is HORRIBLE. Why? well I use to have 56k a long time ago, and I even bought the dang hl2 on CD and yet it STILL wants you to get steam, download its huge updates, and then you have to update this and that, and for a 56k user... WTH its just horrible. In that fact, they REALLY need to fix it, and what about people without internet and they want to play half-life 2? guess what... they cant, I cant play hl2 on my laptop because it does not connect to the interent,

so in the end, I see why the did this, and for them, its a great idea, but..for some users...its friggen heck.
Osmodius
Can't you play HL2 straight off the CDs in offline-mode with no patching?
YellowShadow
Osmodius wrote:

Try google. I remember seeing something like this before.
trinnyhiggs
i agree with realkiller steam is anoying it do my head in to, all they need to do is remake the steam engine and make it better than the current one maybe if enough people email steam and tell them how we feel they may just remake it Very Happy good idea realkiller like it i think im going to email them maybe you should do th same then just hope they listen Wink
m-productions
Osmodius wrote:

No you cant, for 2 reasons,

1) You can not install it off the CD without having steam on your computer... and guess what, if you dont have internet, how do you download steam??

2) In order to play in offline-mode you need to still have an account (it wont let you go offline if you dont) and guess what, in order to have an account and to verfiy it so it can go offline mode.. you need internet...
Coclus
Steam is not that bad.. It s like windows, pretty poor performance but makes tons of money + dominates the market Smile
PseudoKnight
Quote:
all they need to do is remake the steam engine and make it better than the current one
They have and are. Currently Steam is a mish-mash of 2.0 and 3.0 code. It is constantly being updated. (in fact, there was an update just today) They're improving performance and adding some great features like it's new community, match-making, invites, free weekends, media, etc. They've overhauled the store even.

I like what it is now and I like where it's going. Keep tabs on it's progress at steamreview.org, a pretty good source and updated with only the most interesting of information.
YellowShadow
I recently got steam, to play Half-Life 2 and its change so much. I think 4.0 will be the killer tough.
YellowShadow
Also if you own an ATI card you can get Half-Life 2 Lost Coast and Half-Life 2 Deatchmatch for free!

http://www.strategyinformer.com/member/3/blog/2586
Mathew Elric
Personally I don't like the idea of STEAM, the offline option have never worked for some reason so everything I want to play something I have to connect to Steam and update or change some line of text so I can play my mods, it's always something. I am on a dialup connection most of the time, and all I want to do when I want to play my games is click the damn icon and it to load and for me to play. By the time it finishes updating, i'm usually not interested anymore. I would rather play UT2k4 which takes me a few seconds to load up and to make a game with bots. Confused
PseudoKnight
Ya, it's not ideal for dial-up users. In fact, nothing is really ideal for dial-up users. It's just a poor service.

You may be doing everything right and it's not working, but I'd like to step through the process of going into offline mode anyway. Be sure to turn off Steam starting up at system startup.

1. Go online.
2. Sign onto Steam.
3. Exit Steam.
4. Go offline.
5. Start up Steam and hit Offline mode when it brings up the appropriate dialog box.

See, it has to know that you signed on previously. But once you go into offline mode correctly once, it should work from then on out as long as you're not online when you start up Steam. It's worked for me (I think) every time I've used it.
BioRage
Steam is an awsome engine, although rumours have it for the HL2 Engine, they toned down the graphics ALOT, for example, when you shoot the table on one leg, it will fall down, but BEFORE [Supposedly] if you shot it on 1 leg, only THAT side would fall, or it would be in-balance, the graphics were "supposedly" uber.

Also the HL1 Engine is pretty need, very cool mods, such as "The Specilist," which leads to Role-Playing --> TSRP Very Happy
YellowShadow
BioRage wrote:
Steam is an awsome engine, although rumours have it for the HL2 Engine, they toned down the graphics ALOT, for example, when you shoot the table on one leg, it will fall down, but BEFORE [Supposedly] if you shot it on 1 leg, only THAT side would fall, or it would be in-balance, the graphics were "supposedly" uber.

Also the HL1 Engine is pretty need, very cool mods, such as "The Specilist," which leads to Role-Playing --> TSRP Very Happy

Just letting you know Steam is not an engine. Its a content distribution system. The engine you are talking about is Source. And the Half-Life 1/Couter-Strike engine is GoldSource.