FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu Ati problem

seinteligente
I just installed ubuntu and i have problems installing my ATI Radeon X1300 videocard drivers.
I found a unofficial ATI driver wiki , where many people said that works.
Code:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Edgy_Installation_Guide

But after finishing the installation , after the reboot i see only a _ on the left top corner.

I did the Ubuntu update before installing the driver , and now on startup i have Ubuntu 2.17.11 kernel and 2.17.10 kernel..or something like this..but when i enter on the 2.17.11 i got that _ , but when i enter on 2.17.10 ..i see on a higher resolution but when doing fglrxinfo i get :

display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)

Any solution please?
yjwong
Direct rendering isn't working. Have you disabled desktop composition in your xorg configuration file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf)? You might want to follow my more graphical guide at here.
seinteligente
Ok , ill reinstall the ubuntu and try as you say Wink
seinteligente
Nothing..i can't make it work ..i always get a _ on the top left corner...ill try opensuse
djclue917
seinteligente wrote:
Nothing..i can't make it work ..i always get a _ on the top left corner...ill try opensuse

Nice one... Laughing

Anyway... Why do you have to follow that Unofficial guide? There's a more helpful guide in Ubuntu's help system. Also, just install from the official repos instead of manually downloading and building kernel modules by yourself.

The easiest way of getting things right is to:
1. sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
2. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Replace the Driver entry with "fglrx"
3. Restart X server. (Logout, restart X, login)
-if that doesn't work, just restart. Else, just rmmod the currently loaded graphics module and modprobe fglrx. Then restart X.
sush
fglrx is the official ATI driver for Radeon and FireGL cards. Install it using the above commands as root, then type fglrxinfo at a command prompt to see if fglrx likes your system.

I'm on an x200 onboard graphics card and had the same issue with 6.0.6.
yjwong
Quote:

Anyway... Why do you have to follow that Unofficial guide? There's a more helpful guide in Ubuntu's help system. Also, just install from the official repos instead of manually downloading and building kernel modules by yourself.

The ones in the official repos are outdated (aren't them at 8.28.8?). Moreover the newer versions have nicer features, especially with version 8.34.8 and 8.35.5. 8.34.8 fixes a major hibernation issue, where the kernel always hangs when attempting to resume from hibernation. 8.35.5 includes new licensing terms, including the right the distribute the software, and sports a new AMD Catalyst Control Center (amdcccle), which is tons of times better than the old FireGL control panel.
BlueVD
I'd recommend trying Mandriva.
It's better than Ubuntu (I'm saying this from my own experience) and I've successfully installed ATI Radeon 980 PRO, and a few other PCI/E cards...