FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Why is "double-posting" frowned upon?





wellerchap
I like to answer peoples replies to my threads & exchange views/opinions with interested people.
If it's not really permitted to do so, how can one carry on a subject if they have more to say, and why isn't multiple replying to posts allowed...it seems to me to negate the whole point of messageboards.
If it's a points thing, would it be possible to only allow points to a users first reply to a thread and not allow points to subsequent replies but at least allow him/her the chance to enter into some real conversation/debate?
Montressor
Generally speaking (at least as I've noticed in this forum), when someone refers to "double posting" it is when one user posts two posts in a row on the same thread. Usually it is a result of accidentally posting the same post twice, other times it occurs when a user thinks of something to add to their previous post. The first (posting the same) is logically frowned upon and the redundant post is deleted, the second is also distasteful and the recommendation is to edit your previous post to include the new idea you thought up. You are allowed to post multiple times in a thread, but not posting multiple times in a row on that thread...
Otherwise the forum is more likely to obtain "spam" and other abuses of the point system.

Answering to people's replies and exchanging ideas/opinions with others, however, is highly favored.
Blaster
I'll show you an example of double posting.
Blaster
This is what they are talking about when they say that. They don't mean posting twice in a topic but rather right after one you just posted. Instead they want you to use the button to edit your posts and not have the forum have a ton of posts from the same person all in a row. So like what i did is a no no. But like you can reply to this topic and your fine.

(note to mods i did the double post for a reason please don't combine them at this current time untill the user understands my point)
mathiaus
Blaster wrote:
(note to mods i did the double post for a reason please don't combine them at this current time untill the user understands my point)

I'll let you off this time Razz


Blaster summed it it well. Double posting is where you post post twice or more after another one of your posts, without another user replying.

Not allowed (Violation in bold)
mathiaus
Blaster
mathiaus
mathiaus
Blaster
wellerchap
thank you - that's cleared that up nicely...can I reply (using the "quote" button) to 2 or 3 posts in a row if they're all directed at different people?
Hogwarts
Wellerchap wrote:
thank you - that's cleared that up nicely...can I reply (using the "quote" button) to 2 or 3 posts in a row if they're all directed at different people?

You would do it like this.
Quote:

Blaster wrote:
(note to mods i did the double post for a reason please don't combine them at this current time untill the user understands my point)


I'll let you off this time Razz


Blaster summed it it well. Double posting is where you post post twice or more after another one of your posts, without another user replying.

Not allowed (Violation in bold)
mathiaus
Blaster
mathiaus
mathiaus
Blaster

I think both of you summed all that up well. This bit's about quotes Wink

Etc.. And the code for that is..:
Code:
[quote="Wellerchap"]thank you - that's cleared that up nicely...can I reply (using the "quote" button) to 2 or 3 posts in a row if they're all directed at different people?[/quote]
You would do it like this.
[quote]
[quote="Blaster"](note to mods i did the double post for a reason please don't combine them at this current time untill the user understands my point)[/quote]

I'll let you off this time :P


Blaster summed it it well. Double posting is where you post post twice or more after another one of your posts, without another user replying.

Not allowed (Violation in bold)
mathiaus
Blaster
mathiaus
mathiaus
Blaster[/quote]I think both of you summed all that up well. This bit's about quotes ;)
tidruG
wellerchap wrote:
thank you - that's cleared that up nicely...can I reply (using the "quote" button) to 2 or 3 posts in a row if they're all directed at different people?

Not really... that still counts as a double post. However, you can quote different people in the same post.

In your "Post a reply" page, you ought to be able to see something called "Topic review" right under the text area where you're submitting your reply. Here, you'll be able to see all the replies the thread has received so far.
You can quote different people using the topic review. Use the quote tags.

For example:
Code:
[quote="Montressor"]Generally speaking (at least as I've noticed in this forum), when someone refers to "double posting" it is when one user posts two posts in a row on the same thread.[/quote]
That's right!

[quote="Montressor"]Answering to people's replies and exchanging ideas/opinions with others, however, is highly favored.[/quote]
Even more true! Because without the ability to reply to people and exchange ideas, there's no point in forums.

[quote="Blaster"]They don't mean posting twice in a topic but rather right after one you just posted.[/quote]
He basically means 2 consecutive posts in one thread.

[quote="mathiaus"][u]Not allowed (Violation in bold)[/u]
mathiaus
Blaster
mathiaus
[b]mathiaus[/b]
Blaster[/quote]
Which is what mathiaus has illustrated with this example.

When I enter this code as a reply, the reply will look like:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Montressor wrote:
Generally speaking (at least as I've noticed in this forum), when someone refers to "double posting" it is when one user posts two posts in a row on the same thread.

That's right!

Montressor wrote:
Answering to people's replies and exchanging ideas/opinions with others, however, is highly favored.

Even more true! Because without the ability to reply to people and exchange ideas, there's no point in forums.

Blaster wrote:
They don't mean posting twice in a topic but rather right after one you just posted.

He basically means 2 consecutive posts in one thread.

mathiaus wrote:
Not allowed (Violation in bold)
mathiaus
Blaster
mathiaus
mathiaus
Blaster

Which is what mathiaus has illustrated with this example.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Blaster
[quote="mathiaus"]
Blaster wrote:
(note to mods i did the double post for a reason please don't combine them at this current time untill the user understands my point)

I'll let you off this time Razz

I figured you would Very Happy

and if you want to quote things like what the others has said i find it easiest if you have firefox and ust open a new link for everything you want to quote. Then simply copy and past things into 1 topic. Just a little tip for you Very Happy
ChrisCh
mathiaus wrote:
Double posting is where you post post twice or more after another one of your posts, without another user replying.

Not allowed (Violation in bold)
mathiaus
Blaster
mathiaus
mathiaus
Blaster

Just wondering, is there an exception for *BUMP*ing topics??? ... Occasionally I do that if I made a topic months and months ago and it hasn't received a reply (usually in the television forum :p ) - so it moves it to the top so people can see it again Very Happy
Hogwarts
ChrisCh wrote:
mathiaus wrote:
Double posting is where you post post twice or more after another one of your posts, without another user replying.

Not allowed (Violation in bold)
mathiaus
Blaster
mathiaus
mathiaus
Blaster

Just wondering, is there an exception for *BUMP*ing topics??? ... Occasionally I do that if I made a topic months and months ago and it hasn't received a reply (usually in the television forum :p ) - so it moves it to the top so people can see it again Very Happy

I doubt it. As far as I know, bumping topics is considered spam as you are not contributing anything to the topic. You'd probably also just say "*bump*" or something, and that is most definitely spam. A way to avoid this is to actually contribute something to the topic. You should only do this once, though, otherwise that would be double posting.

For example, in the television forum you could add something to discuss the latest episode, but then you shouldn't reply to that topic until somebody else has added something or you run the risk of being caught for double-posting.
tidruG
Normally, bumping posts are taken case-by-case. If there's been considerable amount of time since your first post, and if you have something new to add to the first posts, we generally do not warn users for bumping.
Cal_123
Agreed. But there are some people who diliberately bring up old topics to get points. They are usually suspended after a few offences to my knowledge.
Bockman
As tidruG said, it's mostly taken case by case on bump posts. I personaly don't agree with bump's. If you had no reply to the topic after your last post, then maybe it's because no one was interested in it? Obviously, If you DO add something up to the topic AND you had posted the last post a long time ago (and this doesn't mean yesterday...), we let it stay.

Cal_123 wrote:
Agreed. But there are some people who diliberately bring up old topics to get points. They are usually suspended after a few offences to my knowledge.


"Suspended"... Now there's a mild way of putting it. (mental note. stop banning people and start suspending Wink )

Be Well Cool
reddishblue
Wow, what is it with Frihost's Junior Admins and banning people, power abuse methinks Rolling Eyes

TiruG's Sig:
Quote:
I Ban People
Bockman's Sig
Quote:
I can see Banned people
Hmmmm...
garionw
Bockman wrote:
As tidruG said, it's mostly taken case by case on bump posts. I personaly don't agree with bump's. If you had no reply to the topic after your last post, then maybe it's because no one was interested in it? Obviously, If you DO add something up to the topic AND you had posted the last post a long time ago (and this doesn't mean yesterday...), we let it stay.

Cal_123 wrote:
Agreed. But there are some people who diliberately bring up old topics to get points. They are usually suspended after a few offences to my knowledge.


"Suspended"... Now there's a mild way of putting it. (mental note. stop banning people and start suspending Wink )

Be Well Cool


The forums I'm building now automatically merges double posts, regardless of age, maybe something similar could be introduced here
truespeed
I think if u post on the same subject and thread on a different day,then it shouldnt be classed as double posting,even if noboys replied after you.

If you have something new to add,then you should add reply rather than edit yesterdays post,because if you edit the previous days post,no-one else who is contributing to the thread will realise anythng new has been added,so when they look at "view your posts" they wont see new content so wont click the thread,if however you add reply,then they will see new content has been added.

So they click the thread and continue with the subject.
Bockman
truespeed wrote:
if you edit the previous days post,no-one else who is contributing to the thread will realize anything new has been added,so when they look at "view your posts" they wont see new content so wont click the thread,if however you add reply,then they will see new content has been added.


IF you have posted yesterday and people have seen it and have not posted, they are NOT contributing to anything.

IF you have posted yesterday and people haven't seen it yet, it will still show on their "view your posts" as unread (and they will read your yesterdays post and today's edit).

Although your example wasn't the best one, we know there are some exceptions to this situation, where the rule is partially castrating the topic's development, but due to the common abuse of the forum we had to implement this rule. It's not perfect, we all acknowledge that, but it's a lot better than having everyone bumping topics just so their topic stays on the first page (and believe me that happens A LOT!)

@reddishblue ... hmmm.. I think that insinuation deserves a "suspension" Laughing
You've know us long enough to know how and when we act uppon these things. If anything, we're still acting too soft on most of the cases...

Be Well Cool
truespeed
Bockman wrote:


IF you have posted yesterday and people have seen it and have not posted, they are NOT contributing to anything.



Agreed,but they may respond to new content that you add,but they wont know its there unless you make a new post as like you say they have already read your previous post.

All im saying is its not as cut and dried as "double posting = spam",because its not always the case,and such decisions should be left up to the admins discretion,rather than a set in stone rule.
reddishblue
Bockman wrote:
\@reddishblue ... hmmm.. I think that insinuation deserves a "suspension" Laughing
You've know us long enough to know how and when we act uppon these things. If anything, we're still acting too soft on most of the cases...

Oh noes!!! Laughing Hey can I ask if you guys can do anything on Hosting Accounts or is that only Bondings ability?
Scorpio
reddishblue wrote:
Wow, what is it with Frihost's Junior Admins and banning people, power abuse methinks Rolling Eyes

TiruG's Sig:
Quote:
I Ban People
Bockman's Sig
Quote:
I can see Banned people
Hmmmm...


If tidrug bans people and Bockman sees them, wonder what bondings does? Twisted Evil
Blaster
unbans people Razz

sorry i know spam. But i couldn't resit.
tidruG
I ban people, Bockman sees the banned people, and Bondings smiles at them from a distance. Smile
He's actually quite cute when he does that.
(Of course, you all know that Bondings is E.T. in disguise don't you?)

Anyway, I think this thread has exhausted it's importance.
It should probably have been in the Frihost Support forum, where it could have been marked "Resolved" and hence locked.

Anyway, I'm locking it now, since it appears "resolved"

-close-
Related topics
users online, using php and text file
New insight into the automatic double-posting bug.
Can't access anything
hello!!! one more question xD
Gay Marriage
poetry challenge
about "ain't"
Deism vs Atheism
a lego robot can beat the first level of super mario bros
Spell check plugin for FF
"Thread spamming" policy?
Just curious, is it double posting if in different language?
Why the Holocaust?
Randomness is an illusion. [philosophy/science]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.