FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Most interesting war





Blaster
In your personal opion what is the war you find most interesting? I personaly think that WWII was one of the most intersting wars of all time.
{name here}
World War I. World War II has been sort of beaten to death by the media and World War I was sort of interesting since it was a trench war and signaled the end to the 19th century style of fighting wars in Europe.
Apewebbi
Most interesting war is World war 2, because there was tanks and other kinds of stuff.
Yjaxygames
WW2. Many different technologies were invented in the WW2. And it's overall very interesting.
Zampano
Either the Civil War-which is declared the first war of literate masses- or the War of 1812, because it was the final outgrowth of the American Revolution (other than the Napoleonic Wars which the same year).
iNs@nE
At this point, I gotta come down to Indian History. It contains some amazing battles and wars...

When it comes down to personal favorites..I would say "Tipu Sultan - The East India Company"...

They've had some amazing battles..The guy stood up to the British despite knowing the fact taht the british had better resources than he did...

stupid if you really think about it..but amazing that he had enough guts to do that..
loryl
All wars are interesting if you take the time to research them. Otherwise, the war that's most hyped up that tends to be the most interesting. It's not just the media's doing either. How many people's responses to the question on this thread is a war in which their country (the sovereign state that they identify with) has lost? Wars that were won tend to be glorified by the state; wars lost tend to be forgotten. Thanks, government.

My favorite war, if there were such a thing as favorites, would be the Iraq war/conflict. It's interesting how technology influences battles.
Moonspider
loryl wrote:
How many people's responses to the question on this thread is a war in which their country (the sovereign state that they identify with) has lost? Wars that were won tend to be glorified by the state; wars lost tend to be forgotten. Thanks, government.


For U.S. citizens choosing a war that the United States lost would be difficult. The only wars/conflicts the United States lost occurred in the late 20th Century. And, ironically, in those wars the United States never lost a battle.

Respectfully,
M
Azmo
it's hard to say just 1 war, since it depens so much on what you look at..

BUT WW1 is one of my favorite, cause of the battle technic.. before WW1 you lined up you armies ahead of eachother, shoot a few roudns then run straight into eachother and let the sword end it.

WW1 was the first "foxhole" war, and also the first war where so many civilians was killed, raped, hurt etc.. Before WW1 you kept your battle away from home, in a distant field.. but WW1 was amongst us, between us, in our family, outside on the street.. it was real... people LIVED this war, before WW1 people only heard about it from newspapers and other people's word. This one they could see with their own eyes...

Think I made my point clear now Smile Anyways, that's a few reasons why WW1 is one of the wars I find most interesting.
medievalman26
I have to go with the seven days war or the war of 1812 just because we acually were caving in but when the final battle took place the peace had already been established.
markrc99
The key result of WWI was that western allies (empires) gained control of the Middle East. Today the avg idiot believes that at some point certain areas, or the entire region fought for and attained self-determination. Or, even more laughable, it was simply handed to them by the ruling classes of western colonial powers, despite how strategic and lucrative the region proved to be. The evidence of which there is absolutely none, in fact, greater military occupation, today at the hands of the US, only continues to increase. Mere coincidence mind you...lmfao...We're told it's to promote democracy, stabilze the region and/or to protect "US interests." So, it's all about protecting guys like me... I'm just to blind to realize it...lmao
shamy
I think that WWII was one of the most intersting wars , it have many events .
Montressor
At the moment, I'd have to include the Crimean War up near the top of my "favorites". The end of that war sowed the seeds of WW1, the Bolshevik Revolution, and had a direct effect on the current Middle Eastern conflicts. It also had the infamous Charge of the Light Brigade.

You can get more background info here
springbok
The Afrikaaner nations of the ZAR and The Orange Free State held off the might of the British army once and then gave them a beating for 3 years.

The First Anglo-Boer War or the Transvaal War, was fought from 16 December 1880 until 23 March 1881.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Boer_War

The Second Boer War was fought from 11 October 1899 until 31 May 1902.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War

Not bad for a bunch of farmers. very impressive guerilla war tactics and the british starting the use of concerntration camps.
brucedes
The British Civil War.

But I'm biased. Since it was a war my country was involved in, it interests me more.

It may also interest you to note that one of the leaders of the civil war, Oliver Cromwell, was executed AFTER he died. They dug him up, and beheaded his corpse.

I kid you not.
springbok
I am not that interested in civil wars, invasion and repulsion of new territory that's what people should be fighting for, not their neighbours.
pampoon
In my opinion, I would have to say that above all the "Cold War" between Russia, China, England, and the United States is the most interesting war. Mainly because the entire thing contained no battles and minimal fighting.

The four greats of the world decided to use their new technologies, such as nuclear weapons, and wanted to try out a new way of finding out information with espionage. Each government had their own "army" of secret spies and asassins, which they used to corrupt and eliminate each other. They also continuously threatened their enimeies with their new-found nuclear power.

Not only was the "war" itself interesting, but the aftermath was equally entertaining. The same people who risked their lives by entering foreign enemy countries to kill high-power officials or spy on top secret information, were the ones who now found themselves unemployed. The governments seemed to have given up on their most imortant operatives.

But that is just my opinion.

God bless,
Pampoon
PSUVikings
I'll go with the Civil War, hard to wrap your mind around it, that many lives lost just because of racial barriers.

WWII interests me to, my grandfather was on ground zero when Pearl Harbor was ed.
vanille
Do Alexander the Great's invasions of other countries count as wars? If so, I loved reading about those. It's spectacular how he practically managed to conquer Asia.
medievalman26
I have to say aside from the two I listed I would say the battle of 300 (not the movie the real one) simple because it was the catalyst for the Sparta to go to war with Persia. Also the 2 gulf wars.
sondosia
I've always thought that the Cold War (though not REALLY a war) is the most interesting war. Battles and all that stuff don't really interest me, but the Cold War was just full of politics, fear, and nervousness and that makes it more of a psychological thing. It's also a really good lesson for today's leaders, to not let that happen again.
mialynavahy
World War 2 is by far the most interesting to study because it s an expansive war that has ever occured.

But the cold war is also interesting, the tension and competition between the United States and the Soviet Union and their allies from the mid 1940s until the early 1990s was unique
There never was a direct military engagement between the U.S. and the Soviet Union, but there was a half-century of military buildup, and political battles for support around the world, including significant involvement of allied and satellite nations.
zichlone
I belive the vietnam war is the most interesting it opened many americans eyes to the fact that we were not invincible and could be defeated

And the second most interesting war would have to be WWII. the ME 262 has to be the coolest plane ever
mikethm
The most interesting war would be the war between the newly set up Han dynasty and Chu. Han lost battles after battles... Liu Bang the Han King had to beg for peace times after times to even survive. Then he finally won one battle and Chu lost the war.Rather sad how a scumbag conquer China by defeating a military genius in a battle.
vanille
medievalman26 wrote:
I have to say aside from the two I listed I would say the battle of 300 (not the movie the real one) simple because it was the catalyst for the Sparta to go to war with Persia. Also the 2 gulf wars.


In Greek mythology, the Spartans won the battle, I think. What about in real life? Were they actually able to defeat their enemies?
qebab
The Cold war is, to me the most fascinating war to read about. There are a few reasons for this, but mainly the impending doom that the entire world had to live with, and that it ended without the catastrophe it could have.

The psychological aspect of it, the intelligence 'warfare' (satelites, spies, electronic surveillance et al) is also very interesting to read about. Imagine how much was at stake, and how well it ended in comparision to how it could have ended.
LordHateSphere
the most interesting war for me = any war where they didn't use guns etc to kill each other,
I prefer wars were they fought against each other and saw each others face etc...

If i have to choose one, i'd say rome VS hanibal ( the second punic war )
Were hanibal, a great warlord makes one stupid mistake by not directly conquering ROME when he had the chance
JJGY
I think the Cold War was most interesting, because the result was the peaceful collapse of an empire--in fact, the first time that had happened in history.
Slash
World War One...

The way the Lost Battalion film depicted WWI made it into the most epic war.

Just imagine being stuck, 6 days, alone in the Argonne Forests!
danjoy
Would have to say the Persian Wars with the Ancient Greeks. Much heroism and fighting against overwhelming odds.
beuriefied
There are a lot of wars that i consider interesting.
But i guess i like ancient wars. so consider troy and war against persia Wink
nopaniers
I think the breakup of the most interesting wars are the break-up of the Han Empire, the cold war and the great game. I guess the last two aren't proper wars, but that is what makes them fascinating.
HoboPelican
nopaniers wrote:
I think the breakup of the most interesting wars are the break-up of the Han Empire, the cold war and the great game. I guess the last two aren't proper wars, but that is what makes them fascinating.

Probably showing my ignorance here, but what is the great game? I really have not heard that term.
nopaniers
It's the grab for Central Asia which the British and the Russians made starting in the early 1800's. The British wanted to protect India, so they wanted as much of Central Asia as they could get as a buffer, and the Russians wanted to expand their empire southwards.

To cut a exciting story short: The Russians steadily moved south - to the worry of the British. And when the British sent troops to Afghanistan to enforce their buffer zone, the Afghanis massacred the British - who were then the world's most powerful empire. After a second war the British were finally granted control of Afghan foreign policy. But telling the story like that misses all the espionage, violence and intrigue.

Some people stay the great game is starting again - this time for oil.
starfish2007
I think world war ii is the mostintresting for me anyway. but thats the one i have heard themost about and know themost about so that could be why i consider it themost intresting
Billwaa
mikethm wrote:
The most interesting war would be the war between the newly set up Han dynasty and Chu. Han lost battles after battles... Liu Bang the Han King had to beg for peace times after times to even survive. Then he finally won one battle and Chu lost the war.Rather sad how a scumbag conquer China by defeating a military genius in a battle.


I also think that is the most interesting war. The Qin dynasty one which he conquer all 7 nations, and the battles during the Three Kingdom period is also very very interesting.
roboguyspacedude
The Civil War and the Persian Wars with the Greeks. The civil war has a lot of interesting history behind it and it was very bloody. The greeks were awesome fighters and even better, they fought with swords and other primitive weapons. World War II was also good because of the modern warfare and atomic bomb.
king_of_nothing
Hm, I can't find people dying interesting... Is it just me, or what? Eh?
fbcompany
Its interesting if your a frikken weirdo.

war is not something to admire.
Moonspider
fbcompany wrote:
Its interesting if your a frikken weirdo.

war is not something to admire.


There is nothing wrong with not being interested in warfare. However, I don't think a person is a "weirdo" for finding them so.

Just be thankful that there are those who find it interesting and choose to be professional warriors.

Respectfully,
M
gangsterr
ww2 because it involved tanks and airplanes, a-bombs, and a big clash of empires. and some of the biggest battles ever.
bassman
Personally, I'm most interested in WWII, just because of the series of events and causalities and how they weave together. Also there are so many strong personalities involved, and that's fascinating. Maybe we should be more interested in Vietnam, though, since we have apparently not learned what I feel is the lesson: If you stick your nose in someone else's business, for Pete's sake, don't be half assed about it. To quote a great civil war general, "war is all hell," and I though our (the US's) sensibilities have "evolved" to the point where we expect wars to be nice (i.e. avoid all civilian casualties, excessive destruction, etc.). To me, whether you're talking about Vietnam or Iraq, we tie the military's hands and then become impatient when they're not able to attain victory in guerilla situation in a (relatively) short amount of time.
maletz
I think that the most spectaculos war was WWII, this war has more than other strategy, more weapons, more people dying .....
medievalman26
Moonspider wrote:
There is nothing wrong with not being interested in warfare. However, I don't think a person is a "weirdo" for finding them so.

Just be thankful that there are those who find it interesting and choose to be professional warriors.

Respectfully,
M


I agree that just because you don't like warfare you are not a "weirdo". I find certain wars fascinating not for entertainment but for idiocy, stupidity, and the occasional blunder to the point of defeat. I am sure glad I am not a professional "warrior" though.
Moonspider
medievalman26 wrote:
Moonspider wrote:
There is nothing wrong with not being interested in warfare. However, I don't think a person is a "weirdo" for finding them so.

Just be thankful that there are those who find it interesting and choose to be professional warriors.

Respectfully,
M


I agree that just because you don't like warfare you are not a "weirdo". I find certain wars fascinating not for entertainment but for idiocy, stupidity, and the occasional blunder to the point of defeat. I am sure glad I am not a professional "warrior" though.


Yes, I sort of misspoke in my previous statement. What I meant by "professional warriors" were those men and women voluntarily serving in the defense of a nation and her people. I realized after the fact that my statement was very ambiguous and could be applied to any person in the profession of arms, including mercenaries.

Respectfully,
M
medievalman26
Moonspider wrote:
medievalman26 wrote:
Moonspider wrote:
There is nothing wrong with not being interested in warfare. However, I don't think a person is a "weirdo" for finding them so.

Just be thankful that there are those who find it interesting and choose to be professional warriors.

Respectfully,
M


I agree that just because you don't like warfare you are not a "weirdo". I find certain wars fascinating not for entertainment but for idiocy, stupidity, and the occasional blunder to the point of defeat. I am sure glad I am not a professional "warrior" though.


Yes, I sort of misspoke in my previous statement. What I meant by "professional warriors" were those men and women voluntarily serving in the defense of a nation and her people. I realized after the fact that my statement was very ambiguous and could be applied to any person in the profession of arms, including mercenaries.

Respectfully,
M


Oh no, I did not mean mercenaries either I know many people in the US armed forces so I knew what you meant. Thank you anyway for clearing it up for other people.
frozenhead
WW2 is the most interesting war for me because of these following opinions that I have:

- For it wasn't the attack of Japan in the Pearl Harbor, the US will not engage in war, somehow there is a major effect on how we live today.

- As others already said, new technologies was developed, new strategies and encryption methods (the idea of "Internet") during the war.
breebree
[quote="{name here}"]World War II has been sort of beaten to death by the media.


I agree however I dont believe that should detract from just how interesting WWII realy was, I believe it was definately the most interesting modern conflict. However, there are several ancient conflicts such as the War Against Nabis and the Second Punic War were also very interesting.
judgehawk
World War 2 is pretty interesting. As a Brit, I am proud to say that we held steadfast against the Nazis, and bore the brunt of the damage, until Germany attacked the Soviet Union.

I also find the Boer Wars pretty fascinating, where we British invented the concentration camp. In retrospect not the greatest idea we ever had...
georgekalathil
Apewebbi wrote:
Most interesting war is World war 2, because there was tanks and other kinds of stuff.
Almost all the wars in the middle east were interesting..........
amicalindia
I think one of the most interesting wars was fought 1800 hundred years back between emperor Ashoka and kingdom of kalinga.

The interesting point is that victor (emp. ashoka) embrassed nonviolence immediately after the war. the war made him greatest emperor of his time but he was not happy with the bloodshed. This is one and only example in entire world history where conquerer renouncing his victory and use of force.

Another interesting event that happened after the war was Ashoka embrassed and promoted Buddhism. And thus buddhism become a major religion in the world.
ciureanuc
Blaster wrote:
In your personal opion what is the war you find most interesting? I personaly think that WWII was one of the most intersting wars of all time.

More INTERESTING!?? Are you nuts?? How can be a war "interesting"?? You don't speak with your grandparents??? Because I speak... A war can be "interesting"??
AidanSonoda
A couple of comments inspired by this thread:

Moonspider wrote:

For U.S. citizens choosing a war that the United States lost would be difficult. The only wars/conflicts the United States lost occurred in the late 20th Century. And, ironically, in those wars the United States never lost a battle.

Respectfully,
M


This is true, assuming you refer to the Korean War and Vietnam. I suspect saying "never lost a battle" is something of an over simplification. Though it is true that these wars were "lost" through policy not the overwhelming force of the enemy.

I think the previous poster's (Loryl's) comment was correct. For instance here in the US there is little discussion of the war of 1812 in which we mostly got kicked around by the English B squad then scraped together a few desperate victories (New Orleans) that a small part in convincing the English their time would be better spent elsewhere. I imagine Napoleans exploits were a much larger part of the decission. I remember in High School this was a single chapter with no test. Even the Spanish-American War got three chapters and a test.

medievalman26 wrote:
I have to say aside from the two I listed I would say the battle of 300 (not the movie the real one) simple because it was the catalyst for the Sparta to go to war with Persia. Also the 2 gulf wars.


The "Battle of 300" would more properly be called the Battle of Thermopylae and it is worth pointing out that while there were 300 Spartans at that battle there were also 1000 Mantineans, 1000 Tegeans, 1400 Thespians, 800 Thebans, 900 Helots, and well over 1000 Phocians. In addition to the majority of the the Athenian navy (some 250 ships). The Spartans made up only a small part of the greek force. In addition, it was not a catalyst for war with Persia, but the second major battle of an ongoing war that had been provoked by the greeks some years earlier.
AidanSonoda
For me, the most interesting war or series of wars would be the expansion of the Ummayad Caliphate into Al-Andulus, the rule of the the Abbasid Caliphate from Cordoba and eventually the Reconquista. A fascinating period of history: waring states, religious politics, and all during one of the great historical high points of culture rivaling (perhaps surpassing) Hellenistic Greece and Rome in scope and sophistication.

Also of interest to me is the posturing, skirmishes, and battles involving the Crusader States between the 2nd and 3rd Crusades. Particularly the short and eventful reign of Baldwin IV.

Lastly I have always been much intrugued by the American Civil War, a very interesting war in my own land that left behind many primary source documents and personal accounts from both sides, all in my own language.
Moonspider
AidanSonoda wrote:
A couple of comments inspired by this thread:

Moonspider wrote:

For U.S. citizens choosing a war that the United States lost would be difficult. The only wars/conflicts the United States lost occurred in the late 20th Century. And, ironically, in those wars the United States never lost a battle.

Respectfully,
M


This is true, assuming you refer to the Korean War and Vietnam. I suspect saying "never lost a battle" is something of an over simplification. Though it is true that these wars were "lost" through policy not the overwhelming force of the enemy.


Actually I was referring to Vietnam and the very limited U.S. involvement in Somalia in the 1990s. We lost more than one battle in Korea. But never losing a battle in Vietnam or Somalia is not an oversimplification. In a decade of fighting in 'Nam, there is not a single, no not even one, battle U.S. military forces lost.

Respectfully,
M
AidanSonoda
Moonspider wrote:

Actually I was referring to Vietnam and the very limited U.S. involvement in Somalia in the 1990s. We lost more than one battle in Korea. But never losing a battle in Vietnam or Somalia is not an oversimplification. In a decade of fighting in 'Nam, there is not a single, no not even one, battle U.S. military forces lost.

Respectfully,
M


Indeed that is quite true. I didn't mean to say that it wasn't. My point (if it can generously be called such) was that putting it that way "never lost a battle" while it may be literally true, conveys only a half-truth. Dividing a war up into individual battles is useful for making text books but particularly useless when trying to understand what happened and why. If one examines either of these wars in terms of campaigns/objectives we failed miserably on numerous occasions. As I said before, those failures were not caused primarily by enemy military strength nor in most cases tactical acumen, but rather the nature of American policy (for instance being forbidden to pursue the enemy across various arbitrary borders). In any-case, you are quite right... the Americans never lost a battle, were only occasionally forced off the field and suffered forced tactical setbacks only a handful of times. Yet there were plenty of failures, plenty of defeats, tremendous ineffectiveness and eventually a general collapse. Or, in the case of Somalia an utterly disgraceful outpouring of political cowardice and a summary withdrawal.
Moonspider
AidanSonoda wrote:
Moonspider wrote:

Actually I was referring to Vietnam and the very limited U.S. involvement in Somalia in the 1990s. We lost more than one battle in Korea. But never losing a battle in Vietnam or Somalia is not an oversimplification. In a decade of fighting in 'Nam, there is not a single, no not even one, battle U.S. military forces lost.

Respectfully,
M


Indeed that is quite true. I didn't mean to say that it wasn't. My point (if it can generously be called such) was that putting it that way "never lost a battle" while it may be literally true, conveys only a half-truth. Dividing a war up into individual battles is useful for making text books but particularly useless when trying to understand what happened and why.


Exactly, hence the irony.

R,
M
dirtydredz803
I think the U.S. Civil war was the most interesting war for me. Many countries have been engaged in civil war for hundred of years. I find it interesting in the technique of fighting. You had to be a dedicated and brave solider to stand on that front line and hope that you live to fire off a round before getting hit by the enemy. Those were brave soliders. They didn't have metal and armour to hide behind. They had to soley depend on one another to make it to the next battle.
nepheus
Every war is a back-step of human. It's horible, evil... Why do they spend their life time, money for war? It's really stupid. Why cant we get peace together?Why and why and why...
And please give me a full meaning of "interesting" that you want to talk about. I think it has much meaning. Confused
Blaster
By the word interesting i mean like how it was faught and all. Like WWI they started using planes. That to me made it interesting. The guns in WWII made it interesting. The fact that Americans used great strategy in the Revolutionary war to defeat the British is interesting.

I don't find the torture of humans or the death of humans interesting. That would be wrong.
nepheus
Yeah, i dont think you're a people who like that.lol. About your meaning, i think Pearl Harbor is a interesting match. It's a part of WWII. And then, USA "give" Japan to A-bomb... That's horible... But it helped the war reached the end earlier. I saw a film about this match and i like it much.
takashiro
I DONT think there is any war interesting. Many people will die in the war. What's more, resources will be wasted to be made into weapons. Sad
tom722
In my personal opion the war between Poland and Soviet Union was the most intresting, because of the possible consequeces of the war. The Europe was exhausted after 2nd world war and the situation, that Soviet Union take Poland and rapidly the Germany in year 1920 could change the history of the world.
Mgmartin
vanille wrote:
Do Alexander the Great's invasions of other countries count as wars? If so, I loved reading about those. It's spectacular how he practically managed to conquer Asia.


Yeap, agreed. The books written by Valerio Massimo Manfredi is great.
Philou
No war but the class war!
misterXY
the whole Cold War, WW 1 & 2 AND the Irish R. fighters. ALL had goals, everyone wanted them but couldn't fix it. Afterall as much as you hate Hitler, he created national holidays (ie vacations) and even the gas can? it was on the history channel for my refference. i lost eps. number though sorry Sad
©Wolfie
misterXY wrote:
the whole Cold War, WW 1 & 2 AND the Irish R. fighters. ALL had goals, everyone wanted them but couldn't fix it. Afterall as much as you hate Hitler, he created national holidays (ie vacations) and even the gas can? it was on the history channel for my refference. i lost eps. number though sorry Sad


I like the modern wars. I like the wars which had a lot of influence of the situation now. The most recent wars. Like the Cold War situation in Vietnam or Cuba.
hiquality
World War 1 and World War 2 aren't as interesting as the ancient wars between Greeks ... Persians... Egyptians... they didn't had pistols... they had bows , swords,spears and shields...
rshanthakumar
All wars are bad. But the question is which one is interesting!?

Interesting could be because bad things also get our attention and we spend time to learn about these bad 'things'. In that context war is interesting. War glorifies death and dying. In that sense it is interesting. Killing is a crime and to commit suicide is a worser crime. War is both! But then, it is a glorified death.

UN had a long discussion on what is terrorism. They still could not define what is terrorism. What one considers as terrorism is really war for the other. Ask Iraq, they will tell terrorism is what America is doing in South East and all Americans are terrorists. What will be interesting in war?

Will the long march of the Chinese interest you and their prolonged battle against the western powers for more than a century.. a century of confrontation... more like the hundred years war in Europe. War is the tool that men use to subjugate one another. Unless we want others to be our slaves we will not really revel in war.
rshanthakumar
War is more of a psychological phenomenon than anything else. Others suffering is somehow interesting to us. That is why, when some one dies it is news. And there are so many news channels which are really messengers of the evil that is happening all over. They bring the evil news to us and we devor them eagerly.

Why else would a country considered most civilised kill over '110000 civilians in a second along with just over 20,000 military personnel'? And every one now knows, the atomic bomb was the end political game that the US played so that it can get an upper hand over soviet union and the English. There was really no need for using the atomic bomb. EVen after committing the biggest atrocity of the century, the US has never apologised for dropping atomic bomb on Japan. Whereas it has been asking for the Japanese to apologise for whatever war crimes they have done. One wrong does not right another wrong or does it?
MaxStirner
There is of course no objective way of answering such a question and choices such as "World War II" are surely valid since the size, complexity and historic impact are unsurpassed. If I had to pick a conflict, say for a school paper, I would rather choose a much more limited war where one is not necessarily in danger of getting lost in details, but at the same time pick one that is of historic importance, where strategy and tactics mattered, where the starting points for the waring factions were unequal, where the outcome could not necessarily have been predicted, and a war ideally still shaping today's world: "The Seven-Day-War" (1967)
supjapscrapper
there are many dark spots in history which even state of the art reference books do not report fully about, for lack of information from these periods. The Hittites wars against the ancient and powerful Egyptians, the intra isllamic wars which started 800 years of civil war between Islamic countries and prepared the extreme religious and political weakness or Islamic countries in the 18th and 19th century. The wars between the Arabs in pre-Islamic times and in young post-Islamic times against both the Persians an both byzantine and western roman empires. those arabs at that time were an extremely divided and mobile force residing on the Arabic peninsula and revolutionized war strategies as we know them today. Look at the war manuals at west point for that, don't be surprised in chapters and chapters are full with Arabic reference strategies used by them 1400 years ago and more.
supjapscrapper
Second part:

Also the wars of the Phoenicians against other Mediterranean civilizations, the wars led by arabs against barbaric people in southern europe, the wars between the armies of a personages named as Di-Al-Karnayni (the one with the two horns), who lived 3000 years ago I guess (I have to check) against middle Asian and Asian civilizations, also from a strategic point of view the first guerrilla wars fought be the Moroccan kingdom against internal tribes for centuries, these wars are the basis of what is known as guerrilla techniques. Guerilla techniques do not come from communist revolutionary countries, they were developed and were very efficient by north-African Arabs, especially to fight against colonial forces. But the most interesting war ever, is the current global new woprld order war we are living right now.Wars have changed. That you can sit home and watch TV doesn't mean you are not at war. That means you are not conscious about a war, which is the ultimate weapon when attacking someone.
zjosie729
I don't find any wars interesting. It's all a loss of people, and time, and energy that could have been devoted to making the world better. And yet, I find myself thinking, what would that lead to? Better weapons and technology for wars because people seem never to be content with what they have (I am no exception) and are always trying to instil some "better" form of thinking into another person. How many wars in history have been caused by religion?!
No wars are interesting to me.
Phil
Wars have always been a horrid, ugly part of our human existence that has shaped our world and influenced our gingival societies. Like it or not, as long as there are human beings, there will be wars.
What I find interesting about wars, or probably more appropriately, battles, is the strategies and tactics used to accomplish a goal, or mission. What I find fascinating is studying how individuals from generals down to privates, from kings down to serfs, reacted to situations during combat.
How does that military saying go? All the planning you do is forgotten 5 minutes after the shooting starts? Something likes that.
I find stories of how men (and women for that matter) overcame fear and incredible obstacles to save themselves and comrades, or non-combants very inspiring.
But, to the topic’s question.
I find the American Civil War the most interesting to study.
It can be argued that it was one of the first "modern" wars. The South was beaten by the industrial might and overpowering manpower of the North. We see the introduction of machine guns, ironships, mass troop movements and advancements in small arms firepower.
But, what I find most intriguing about the Civil War is the soldiers involved.
Take out all the political turmoil of the time and these men and boys would have been farmers, store clerks, lumberjacks, fisherman and just everyday normal citizens.
But because of the war, these average people ---on both sides--- were transformed into soldiers. And good soldiers at that. In most cases they performed their duties bravely and professionally to do what they thought was right.
ganesh
What would everyone say, if I said that the most interesting war was the Cold War between USA and USSR?!

In addition to the Cold War, WWII was also interesting.

The reason is that these wars made the countries involved invest in technology to defend themselves, and slowly, after the war was done and dusted, they made their way into consumer products which eventually improved the quality of the lives of the people! After all, every cloud has a silver lining.

I just hope that future wars are as peaceful as the Cold War!

By the way, the most interestingly named war is the 'Hundred Years War', which, in reality did not actually go on for 100 years but was on a much smaller time frame (if I remember, just a few days!)
chasbeen
You know there are not any interesting wars or should I say I try not to be interested in wars. What do they call that? "Morbid obsession" I think.
vvforgs
The key result of WWI was that western allies (empires) gained control of the Middle East. Today the avg idiot believes that at some point certain areas, or the entire region fought for and attained self-determination. Or, even more laughable, it was simply handed to them by the ruling classes of western colonial powers, despite how strategic and lucrative the region proved to be. The evidence of which there is absolutely none, in fact, greater military occupation, today at the hands of the US, only continues to increase. Mere coincidence mind you...lmfao...We're told it's to promote democracy, stabilze the region and/or to protect "US interests." So, it's all about protecting guys like me... I'm just to blind to realize it...lmao
Chinmoy
World war I or II were both walk in and fight. Too much bloodshed and openness.!
The best war I guess-the most interesting one was the cold war between USA and rusia.The perfect use of moles, phising tehniques-the have made awesome bestsellers...It was a war of brains..
chasbeen
Hmm never thought any war was that interesting and would not like to be a participant. I was in the forces though and just missed a boat that sailed to the war zone. The next thing I heard was it got hit by missiles so you see I have mixed emotions when you say "interesting war".
OpposableThumbs
... because for a war Best. Name. Ever.
eczeyes
I really love the history of the Barca family putting Rome in very serious trouble and really starting the blossom of thw Iberic peninsula.
jsfdan
WWII and Civil War. Just wanted to see how Civil War was fought with usage of limited guns. xD
ptfrances
I am not sure too that there is very interesting war...
Confused
muffinman187
I found WWII to be the most interesting. WWI lead to the creation of WWII and it's the outcome of WWII that effects everything that is happening in today's world.
chasbeen
I try not to be interested in war. I have a friend who fort in WW2 and because I was a Soldier (Ex Falkland veteren) we often used to mention things about being in the army.
However I once made the mistake of asking him what it was like being in a real war.
I never did that again as he was very upset.
I cannot imagine asking him or any other war veteren How interesting was the war then?
yagnyavalkya
The most interesting war will be the war yet ot be fought
perhaps the WWIII
like Einstein said the WW IV will be bows and arrows and may be not even that
Crinoid
Quote:
Most interesting war

For whom: those, who died or who's life was wrecked by it - or for armchair readers, who's existence wasn't affected negatively by it? Even centuries later, descendants of the involved fee strongly about that. I offer to take a look on that from the other side.

The term interesting could be applied to Karelian war: wile one side was fully prepared, including heated housing between encounters, and another side was sent without all of that, like Napoleon army in Russia...
Note, that I have no deep knowledge of the subject, just stumbled upon this information on the web.
Dark_Jedi06
I don't know how you could choose...

While both World Wars are absolutely fascinating, the warfare of the ancient and classical eras is even more impressive. We tend to disregard ancient war as simple, but the technology and numbers employed by the Greeks, Persians, Romans, Chinese, etc. are astounding when you consider how long ago it was. The Greeks in particular had so mastered the art of bronze working that there are ancient bronze weapons that have been discovered whose craftsmanship cannot be reproduced with modern technology. If I had to choose my top three;

1. Napoleonic Wars
2. Trojan War
3. Punic Wars

And of course the list could go on to include the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, Alexander the Great's Conquests, etc.
Kopernikus
Interesting... It took three pages to come up with the Napoleonic wars...

In my case, there´s a lot of activity around my home town because of the 5th coalition war, happening in 1809 (200 years ago). There where a few battles around Vienna, the first defeat of Napoleon (Aspern), and so forth....
abcxyz1
I do not like war, all wars are not benefit me. Blood to do?
Lady Elensar
abcxyz1 wrote:
I do not like war, all wars are not benefit me. Blood to do?

I think not many people do like war. It's about interests. Wink
supernova1987a
World War II was probably the most interesting since there was use of nuclear weapons too. But the new afghanistan and iraq wars were interesting too.
yagnyavalkya
What can possibly interesting in a war
war is a bane for mankind and the practice will go extinct in a few decades like the practice of Gladiators in Rome
Lady Elensar
As long as you talk about it you are interested. Otherwise you wouldn't join the conversation.
Kopernikus
Lady Elensar wrote:
As long as you talk about it you are interested. Otherwise you wouldn't join the conversation.


i can only say: i agree! Embarassed

P.S.
Your SIG is much too highbrow for me...
deanhills
yagnyavalkya wrote:
What can possibly interesting in a war
war is a bane for mankind and the practice will go extinct in a few decades like the practice of Gladiators in Rome
Human beings are much more interesting when they have to fight for their survival. They seem to write more creative poetry and prose, design more innovative equipment for intelligence and making war, they eat less, loose weight ...
Chinmoy
the world war 2 undoubltedly. Use of state of the art weopanary, moles all of it sounds so techy. Standing second should be the cold war between russia and US. Once again the spy systems on each other were amazing.
wanshishusheng
Blaster wrote:
In your personal opion what is the war you find most interesting? I personaly think that WWII was one of the most intersting wars of all time.


Interesting? What do u mean?
yagnyavalkya
Wars are not interesting they are a bane for the development of human kind
I wish in the near or at least in the distant future they are done away with
deanhills
yagnyavalkya wrote:
Wars are not interesting they are a bane for the development of human kind
I wish in the near or at least in the distant future they are done away with
I agree from a moral point of view, but then how do we explain the human being's in-built capability for self-destruction and destruction of others? If there is a gene behind this, would be great if they could nix this part of our physical being, but who knows, maybe the aggressiveness and competitiveness are part of the species tools for survival? So whereas war is morally wrong, it is inevitable? As Mao Tse Tung used to say: "No struggle, no progress" Smile
maaji
Smile
xxboke
I think that WWII was one of the most intersting wars , it have many events .
Kopernikus
Well, WWII was definitely the most influential war in history.

The political suicide of the european nations, started in WWI, was completed and the stage set for the cold war of the rest of the century.

What´s especially interesting about this war is the scope of the conflict. It was a World War indeed. There wasn´t a contintent (except maybe antarctica) untouched by this war.
gandalfthegrey
War of 1812. Damn Canadians.
Jamestf347
Wars have always been a horrid, ugly part of our human existence that has shaped our world and influenced our gingival societies. Like it or not, as long as there are human beings, there will be wars.
What I find interesting about wars, or probably more appropriately, battles, is the strategies and tactics used to accomplish a goal, or mission. What I find fascinating is studying how individuals from generals down to privates, from kings down to serfs, reacted to situations during combat.
How does that military saying go? All the planning you do is forgotten 5 minutes after the shooting starts? Something likes that.
I find stories of how men (and women for that matter) overcame fear and incredible obstacles to save themselves and comrades, or non-combants very inspiring.
But, to the topic’s question.
I find the American Civil War the most interesting to study.
It can be argued that it was one of the first "modern" wars. The South was beaten by the industrial might and overpowering manpower of the North. We see the introduction of machine guns, ironships, mass troop movements and advancements in small arms firepower.
But, what I find most intriguing about the Civil War is the soldiers involved.
Take out all the political turmoil of the time and these men and boys would have been farmers, store clerks, lumberjacks, fisherman and just everyday normal citizens.
But because of the war, these average people ---on both sides--- were transformed into soldiers. And good soldiers at that. In most cases they performed their duties bravely and professionally to do what they thought was right.

Not entirely true
Jamestf347
Personally WWII because their are sooo many things going on at once, it's not entirely easy to follow, and thats what excites me. Not to mention it's the most recent World War.

WWII
WWI
Desert storm
Civil
Revolutionary

Those are my ranking in amercian history
upontheroof
I simply believe the history's concept of cause and effect, so therefore I believe that current wars are a consequence of previous wars, and the failure to resolve them. For example look at World War 2, Nazi Germany's mass military munition mobilization was the result of the Imperial Germany's defeat during World War 1, which created anger and a common sense of nationalism amongst the common masses. All it would take was a strong, ambitious leader (Adolf Hitler) to dominate Germany and it's people and lead them into another World War.

French Revolution (Can be classed as a French Civil War as loyalist and rebels in conflict)

The French commoners rebelled against the corrupt monarchy, a strong-willed, charismatic leader named Napoleon Bonaparte to rally the nation together.

Napoleonic Wars

Napoleon then began a war of expansion over Europe, which ultimately led to it Napoleon's fall during the ill-fated French campaign of 1812 to invade Russia.

Franco-Prussian War

Tensions from the Napoleonic wars were still evident during the two warring nations of the former Napoleonic wars.

World War 1

Without France and Prussia involved in World War 1, the assassination of Franz Ferdinard may have never created a world war. However, with Prussia still angry about it's loss during the Franco-Prussian War, Prussia was eager for vengeance. Soon the involvement of both France and Prussia dragged other nations into the war for example Britain and Imperial Germany, turning the conflict into a true world war.

World War 2

Germany and Prussia's loss in World War 1 created shame among the masses of the Germany. Further more, a global economic depression gripped the nation making matters worse. Soon an Austrian politician and dictator named Adolf Hitler gripped the nation with his charismatic manner and fiercely nationalistic view, began a doomed war of European expansion.

Cold War (Korean War, Vietnam War)


After world war 2, almost every single nation was ruined by the war, the war had killing millions, and crushing economies except for two deeply contrasting nations, the United States and the Soviet Union, both crusaders of two opposite ideologies, Capitalism and Communism. However the ruined nations of world war 2 began to look for salvation in a government, both the United States and Soviet Union seeing their chance to spread their influence began a proxy war in each undecided nation. Civil war would soon plague these nations.

Soviet Afghanistan War

Afghanistan was the catalyst for the collapse of the Soviet Union and the United States War on Terror. The Islamist Mujahideen were resisting the Marxist regime established in Afghanistan, the Soviet Union was alarmed of an attempt to collapse a fellow Marxist regime and decided to intervene. The United States seeing an chance to oppose the Soviet Union, began to supply arms and munitions to the Islamist Mujahideen. Soon, the Soviet Union was hopelessly defeated in a humiliating guerrilla war began to withdraw. Seeing that the Marxist threat was over, the United States began to withdraw their funding from the Muljahideen. Angry at losing their funding and supplies, the Islamist Muljahideen declared a global Jihad on the United States, which resulted in the various terrorist activies, most notoriously the September 11 attacks.

War on Terror (Gulf War, and any other current Middle Eastern Conflicts involving Capitalist Western Countries)

The september 11 attack killed 2973 American citizens, and the perpentrators had been identifed as Al Qaeda terrorist organisation, a successor to the Islamist Muljahideen. The United States invaded and occupied various Middle Eastern countries with suspected ties to Al Qaeda such as Iraq and Afghanistan. However Al Qaeda continues to use guerrilla tactic and terror tactics such as random civilian bombings, and kidnappings to create fear amongst the population.

Today...

So therefore the result of all or most conflict to day is due to the French Revolution...

Please bear in mind this article has been written by a 14 year old kid, so if it is of inferior quality, then I apologise...
Very Happy
Asafe
I don't know if is quite a war, but the Six-Day war was really cool.
kovok
World War II and Napoleon's Wars
ronbarak
Blaster wrote:
In your personal opion what is the war you find most interesting? I personally think that WWII was one of the most interesting wars of all time.


I vote for the second Punic war: a whole army marches from Spain to Italy, over the Alps - with elephants. Hannibal and his army ravage the Italian country-side for years on end, and yet do not manage to drag Rome into a decisive battle, the brilliance of the battle of Cannae...
otalp
Battle of Tours. Occurred at Mid France. French army stopped Calliphate army advancing trhoug the europe during the dark ages
lesfrontaliers
I vote for the battle of Morgarten. A few "primitive" Swiss defeated a whole Austrian Army with woods and rocs, opening the era of their reputation of excellence in Army! Cool
cybersa
Second World War.
Really very bad.
crawford
The Easter Rising Very Happy

It wasn't a big war but it was a "interesting" war I guess...
Sw4k1ll4r
The war when 300 spartans fought the whole persian army in 480 b.c. (Real war btw not just a movie)
bowerryan
THIS .... IS ... SPARTA! Need not say more.
malaysia
the best ever GALAXIES WAR is STAR WARS - 7 series. continues..HOLY embattle DARK side.
the best ever EARTH WAR is THE CRUSADE - 9 series, nearly 200 years, ARABs against EUROPEAN invasion.
kainster
The war between human beings and rats.....
I hate rats....
Hello_World
Rats? My personal war is on ants lol.

Funny enough I am not interested enough in wars to seek them out, so I know most about the ones shown frequently on the tele..

Therefore Vietnam and WW2, both of which I find interesting.

Also,

I find the Bay of Pigs interesting, and the nuclear standoff, Cuban revolution.

The War on Drugs (South America).

The Maoris vs the English

East Timor.
deanhills
WWII and specifically Stalingrad. The turning point of the war. The Boer/English War in South Africa. The War of Independence and Civil War in the United States. The Long March in China. The Rwanda Massacre.
sketteksalfa
I find WW2 the most interesting war also. I recommend you guys to read books by John Mannock. The Sentoku Raid and The Iron Coffin. Both books are about world war II. After reading these you will get to know more about history.
roepjenaam
I hate all of the history Embarassed
i know baddd Razz
bgreese
Purely interesting, I would say that the most interesting war would be the US Civil War. First of all, it was people fighting their own people. It was focussed on slavery and the mistreatment of mankind.

Then, it had a lot of new technology. People are not aware of some of the newer technologies that came out during the Civil War. The gatling gun was first used in the Civil War, just to name one specific advancement.

This was also one of very few wars ever actually fought on US soil.
johans
In your personal opion what is the war you find most interesting? I personaly think that WWII was one of the most intersting wars of all time.
_________________


I agree WW2 for me because it really affects our country Philippines based on History. German and Japanese where the detector at those time.
asnani04
The most interesting war to me was the World War II. The tactics used by the participating powers and nations were so manipulative and intelligent, that it makes the war even more interesting to read and understand. But the amount of death and destruction caused by US in the end was quite nasty. Rolling Eyes
Hexes
I think that Russian Civil War is really interesting event. It shows us how very few people could take over control and rule the country. They have killed a lot of their own citizens.
Ideology when everyone was accused of being 'enemy of the people' was invited during this conflict. This war ruined Russia and involved death of millions of people (they were not killed by warfare but because of famine).
deanhills
Hexes wrote:
(they were not killed by warfare but because of famine).
My great great grandmother died of famine during WWII in Rotterdam. It would be interesting if they were to calculate the percentage of war time casualties caused by famine.
pazis
I believe that no war is interesting. War means waste of many resources... Death of many innocent people... and so on...
johans
no war is interesting but the history is all about to know in the past is interesting how people survive and how people get up on there feet.

Quote:
pazis
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:50 am Post subject:
I believe that no war is interesting. War means waste of many resources... Death of many innocent people... and so on...



i agree.. but this topic belong to HISTORY thats why terms and word being used is interesting.
lilysc1
World War II
andro_king
i think both the world war was interesting.. even indo-pak war and indo-china war was great...

heeehee don't take it serious the most interesting war i played was age of empires..Smile
churchillcad
I've spent more time reading about World War II and the American Civil War, but I'm interested in the Age of Sail (especially the British Navy during Napoleonic wars).

My great-grandfather served with Custer during the Civil War, in the Michigan Cavalry brigade and my dad was wounded over Germany during WWII. That probably sparked my interest. Right now I'm reading as much as I can find about the naval war in the Pacific.
zhybsc
Too much people dead in the WWI and WWII Sad ,in the world,no interesting war!!
Josso
zhybsc wrote:
Too much people dead in the WWI and WWII Sad ,in the world,no interesting war!!


I tend to agree but I think this thread is more to do with a research context.


One of my grandfathers was in 7th Armoured Divison - he had complete war diarys/scrap books from when he was in the TA in 37 going all through the war. If anyone is interested I could scan them all. I haven't actually fully read them myself I've been meaning to for years. My other grandfather was in the world war 1 not sure exactly where though because he lied about his age and a lot of records were destroyed in the blitz.
welshsteve
War isn't interesting. It's terrible!!! LOL

I studied the 1st and 2nd world wars at school, plus the rise of communism in Russia.
psychorollercoaster
For me I think the most interesting battle was the battle of Panipat

It was between the Mughal Empire and Marathas........The Battle of Panipat took place on 14 January 1761, at Panipat (Haryana State, India), about 60 miles (95.5 km) north of Delhi between a northern expeditionary force of the Maratha Empire and a coalition of the King of Afghanistan, Ahmad Shah Durrani with two Indian Muslim allies—the Rohilla Afghans of the Doab, and Shuja-ud-Daula, the Nawab of Oudh. Militarily, the battle pitted the French-supplied artillery[4] and cavalry of the Marathas against the heavy cavalry and mounted artillery(zamburak and jizail) of the Afghans and Rohillas led by Ahmad Shah Durrani and Najib-ud-Daulah, both ethnic Pashtuns (the former is also known as Ahmad Shah Abdali). The battle is considered one of the largest fought in the 18th century,[5] and has perhaps the largest number of fatalities in a single day reported in a classic formation battle between two armies.
Maarja
The most interesting war in my opinion, is certainly the Napoleonic Wars. I suppose I am a bit biased, seeing as I am a Bonapartiste and an overall Francophone/Napoleon-phone (is that a word?)

Anyways, the Wars themselves lasted from about 1799 to 1815, but they can be considered a continuation of the French Revolutionary Wars which started a bit sooner. It is very interesting, as several generals emerged from the early parts of the wars to become great - people who otherwise wouldn't have become as well-known. Obviously Napoléon benefited from this, but others such as Field Marshal Ney, etc. are other prime examples of this.

The Battles themselves, especially those involving Napoléon, are one of the foremost examples of strategy/tactics in the modern era - or at least at the time. Napoléon can be considered the primary example of a person who relied on blitzkrieg style warfare - relatively fast paced for the time. When Napoléon marched on Austria, it took less than three and a half months for him to win decisively over the Austrians - from Sacile/Teugen-Hausen to Wagram - quite a feat against one of Europe's major land powers.

Its quite amazing, in my opinion, that a lowly Corsican could rise to become Europe's Emperor for a time in such a short period of time.
TheLimey
Weird answer,but I would say the Falklands. It was so short but so much happened. But also my father was involved so that makes me more interested.
Josso
TheLimey wrote:
Weird answer,but I would say the Falklands. It was so short but so much happened. But also my father was involved so that makes me more interested.


Weird question but do you if he went anywhere near south georgia during those conflicts. I would love to have some primary sources for one specific bit of research I've been doing. Not a lot of people know that the conflict went that far away from falklands.
RosenCruz
The biggest and best of all, for me. WW II. Includes so many stories, guns, sides, ideas. Battle of the "Modern" World
zaxacongrejo
the actual cyber wars
Possum
The English Revolution under Cromwell..

Its was the First Banker Funded War.. All other wars we based on this war.. As far as financing a war anyway..
Related topics
Da Vinci Code
Europeans and Americans, your thoughts on "Eurabia"
I'm tired of it...
Battlestations Midway
What's bad in your country. Which should be improved
Interesting form of currency......
What was the most AMAZING thing you have ever done in life ?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Medieval Era
WW II
monkey kills a king
Sócrates
10 Interesting accidents
Running Linux without installing
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> History

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.