FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Weapon, Human Tests

rheanna
Shocked OMG WTF

Yeah, who out their right minds would volunteer for something like this? Sure in and heck not me!

Quote:

The volunteers were military personnel: active, reserve or retired, who volunteered for the tests. They were unpaid, but the subjects would "benefit from direct knowledge that an effective nonlethal weapon system could soon be in the inventory," said one report. The tests ranged from simple exposure in the laboratory to elaborate war games involving hundreds of participants.

Booze and ADS Don't Mix
The experiments get more bizarre as they progress. One of the experiments involved giving the subjects carefully measured doses of vodka to see if it helped them withstand the pain. See: Protocol F-WR-2002-0024-H: Effects of Ethanol on Millimeter-Wave-Induced Pain (1.4MB PDF).

ADS and Dogs
One test exposed military dog teams to the ADS' effects, apparently based on the idea that if the device is used for tasks like perimeter security, then there is a real risk of 'friendly fire' on dogs as well as humans. See: Protocol FWR-2004-0029-H: Effects of Active Denial System Exposures on the Performance of Military Working Dog Teams (2.7MB PDF).

Human Experiments of a Nonlethal Weapon: The Documents
Protocol F-BR-2005-0057-H: Thermal Effects of Exposure to 400 W, 95 GHz, Millimeter Wave Energy (17.8MB PDF)

Protocol F-BR-2006-0018-H (#NHRC.2005.0016): Effects of Exposure to 400-W, 95-GHz Millimeter Wave Energy on Non-Stationary Humans (7.9MB PDF)

Protocol F-WR-2002-0024-H: Effects of Ethanol on Millimeter-Wave-Induced Pain (1.4MB PDF)

Protocol FWR-2002-0046-H: Perceptual and Thermal Effects of Millimeter Waves (2.2MB PDF)

Protocol FWR-2003-03-31 -H, Limited Military Utility Assessment of the Active Denial System (4.2MB PDF)

Protocol FWR-2004-0029-H: Effects of Active Denial System Exposures on the Performance of Military Working Dog Teams (2.7MB PDF)

Protocol FWR-2005-0037-H, Military Utility Assessment of the Active Denial System (ADS) in an Urban Environment (5.4MB PDF)

Protocol FWR-2006-0001-H, Military Utility Assessment of the Active Denial System (ADS) in a Maritime Environment (8.5MB PDF)

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72236-0.html

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72134-0.html?tw=wn_index_1 [ the Weapon ADS]
Vrythramax
Your sources are...at the very least, not the most credible. Any conversation or report taken out of context can lead to grave misgivings.

But the entire thought that the experiments existed (if credible...where else could the "possible" mis-quote, or mis-representation come from), gives me the creeps.

Don't we have better things to spend our tax dollars on??
rheanna
Get a PDF reader but the documents are there.
They list the phone number of the Investigators who performed the test. Call them up. Cool I'm not calling...LOL!

The thought that it even exist makes me quiver. No way would I ever volunteer for something that lethal.

And what makes wired.com not credible?
Vrythramax
rheanna wrote:
Get a PDF reader but the documents are there.
They list the phone number of the Investigators who performed the test. Call them up. Cool I'm not calling...LOL!

The thought that it even exist makes me quiver. No way would I ever volunteer for something that lethal.

And what makes wired.com not credible?

I never said they were not credible, just not the most credible....thier track record speaks for itself.

And I have a PDF reader thank you.
coolclay
I'd do it! They sound like fun. Especially the ethanol one lol.
darknight985
coolclay wrote:
I'd do it! They sound like fun. Especially the ethanol one lol.

Okay i doubt that you would just because it sounds cool. Hey, i have some dynamite and im going to test it on you to see if it works, wanna help me?

Well sure! I'd love to!

Those people aren't doing it becasue its cool, they're doing it for the benefit of mankind.
jongoldsz
At least its non-lethal. If it was lethal, no one would ever volunteer.
rheanna
the volunteers don't get NO BENEFITS for participating and have to sign a release form. So whatever injury they incur during the experiment their screwed. Confused
Vrythramax
rheanna wrote:
the volunteers don't get NO BENEFITS for participating and have to sign a release form. So whatever injury they incur during the experiment their screwed. Confused

I totally agree rheanna. At the risk of starting an arguement....do you think all human testing should be abolished, or just this one case scenerio?
rheanna
Laughing

Just saying I would never volunteer to be an experiment. Especially if I get no benefits. Laughing
David_Pardy
Keep in mind though, that the volunteers were MILITARY personnel. For the most part, these blokes would be fairly well conditioned to withstand pain, and I'm sure that the patriotism in their minds would also help.

It's quite amazing just how much punishment the human body can take.
Yantaal
i am totaly for human testing, its not fair to test on the animals who tdont have a say and it is also illogical seing as they are so different biologically from us.

although maybe we could be facing some kind of resident evil if we do...

who knows
Vrythramax
rheanna wrote:
Laughing

Just saying I would never volunteer to be an experiment. Especially if I get no benefits. Laughing

So is it safe to assume that your stance could be swayed by some benefit? Forgive me, but that hardly alludes to your commitment on the subject.

If I paid you $1,000,000 USD would you drink gasoline so I could see how it effected you?
Warlord
omg wtf :S well weapon testing id do if i was dieing anyway and they payed my family id do it i think and as long as i made the papers lol Very Happy
reddishblue
Yantaal wrote:
i am totaly for human testing, its not fair to test on the animals who tdont have a say and it is also illogical seing as they are so different biologically from us.

who knows

I laugh at people like you, you are the sort that belive Hitler only became a monster when he killed his dog, no matter the human atrocities, I believe that a human is infinately more important then an animal.
HoboPelican
Looking at this article, this line jumps out..
Quote:

Also, the cautious approach of early tests is gradually relaxed as experimenters gain confidence in the system's supposed safety.

Sounds like early tests were relatively save, even by Wired's standards. I don't see a real issue with it. I might even have volunteered for some myself. Like an earlier posted mentioned, better volunteers than animals or prisoners. And let's remember, when you "volunteer" in your work, there are often benefits to your career, even if not explicitly stated.
squirrelmaster
Vrythramax wrote:

If I paid you $1,000,000 USD would you drink gasoline so I could see how it effected you?

it depends, how much gasoline??
if it's only a cup i would do it, but if it was a gallon i am sure i wouldn't do it for any price Shocked
because i know it would totally screw up my kidneys!!
Agent ME
This sounds interesting - but what happens if it hits someone in their eyes? And does it work through clothing? Rolling Eyes
Ghost Rider103
This sounds pretty interesting. I will have to read up on this some more later on.

Thanks for the info.
Vrythramax
squirrelmaster wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

it depends, how much gasoline??
if it's only a cup i would do it, but if it was a gallon i am sure i wouldn't do it for any price Shocked
because i know it would totally screw up my kidneys!!

For a million USD...I would think you should drink until I wasn't thirsty anymore, I wouldn't pay that much just for a cup....I have drank more than that just trying to syphon gas out of a friends car so I could get home....for free Razz
rheanna
Just give them anti-freeze. How many would volunteer for that? Laughing
Hunterseaker
Humans are commonly used to test non lethal weapons.
Weapon like stunguns and tasers are frequently tested on humans, also rubber bullets and tear gas or shock grenades are frequently tested on humans before they were used on criminals....
It is just neccacery to test it on humans, cause you shoot with those weapons on humans, you have to make sure it are non lethal weapons....
And all the humans who tested the weapons were volunteers.... so nobody was forced to test them....
Duncan Idaho
Well, this is no suprise on my part. Not like it is anything new, at least for some people, well, then again not so much it isn't new to me, I'm just not suprised that it is new.
Vrythramax
Duncan Idaho wrote:
Well, this is no suprise on my part. Not like it is anything new, at least for some people, well, then again not so much it isn't new to me, I'm just not suprised that it is new.

Human testing has been going on for some time now, I don't know many years it has been legalizied outside of military testing during warfare, but as I can see by available records.....it goes from animal testing to human testing then focus groups.

BTW....I like your nick and the movie Dune (and all the books...I have them and have read them).

Nick Creativity = -10 (sorry)
j_f_k
rheanna wrote:
Shocked OMG WTF

Yeah, who out their right minds would volunteer for something like this? Sure in and heck not me!

[snip]

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72236-0.html

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72134-0.html?tw=wn_index_1 [ the Weapon ADS]

free vodka!

wohoo.. Very Happy

where do I join...
rheanna
j_f_k wrote:

free vodka!

wohoo.. Very Happy

where do I join...

LOL, get you drunk and take advantage of you... Laughing Typical.. SHould not expect anything less from the Mil. docs...
The_Gamer294
.....wtf

they get you drunk. then they do what they want to you including testing a weapon. then you dont even get paid! now who the hell would do that?
Vrythramax
rheanna wrote:
j_f_k wrote:

free vodka!

wohoo.. Very Happy

where do I join...

LOL, get you drunk and take advantage of you... Laughing Typical.. SHould not expect anything less from the Mil. docs...

Not good input. What's the problem?
Yantaal
reddishblue wrote:
Yantaal wrote:

who knows

I laugh at people like you, you are the sort that belive Hitler only became a monster when he killed his dog, no matter the human atrocities, I believe that a human is infinately more important then an animal.

im not so sure that is entierly true, but i dont see why we are so important, tbh we are killing the earth,. rediclulous
erlendhg
If true: that is horrible!