FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My trouble with Ubuntu

Porcelain Trainwreck
I cannot boot Ubuntu (either 6.06 or 6.10) live, and therefore cannot install it onto my computer. My computer meets all the specs, and should be able to run it, but an error pops up when it gets to that point when trying to boot. It says that I have an error with the x.org, I should update the x.org. I only have a loose idea what x.org is, and no idea at all how to update it. What should I do?
Arno v. Lumig
Porcelain Trainwreck wrote:
I cannot boot Ubuntu (either 6.06 or 6.10) live, and therefore cannot install it onto my computer. My computer meets all the specs, and should be able to run it, but an error pops up when it gets to that point when trying to boot. It says that I have an error with the x.org, I should update the x.org. I only have a loose idea what x.org is, and no idea at all how to update it. What should I do?

x.org is a configution file that handles everything that has to do with the graphical environment.

You should try to get into a command-line environment and then login. Now type X --configure and ubuntu will try to auto-configure it. If this works, you'll have to somehow save the configuration, but I don't remember how Razz

Greetz,
Arno
Porcelain Trainwreck
Upon further inspection, it appears I must update my bios, a process which is strange and intimidating to me...
jackill
Maybe Ushould try alternate install cd: http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/linux/ubuntu/releases/edgy/ubuntu-6.10-alternate-i386.iso

not live cd install. Or server install, but only if U know how to install xserver, but first, try alternate install cd. Or try Kubuntu or Xubuntu... meybe it is something wrong with Your computer configuration...
xu-lun
So do I. When I have been installing, the process was broken. I don't know what's wrong. I try many times, but not successfull. Finally, I don't try again.
olskar
xu-lun wrote:
So do I. When I have been installing, the process was broken. I don't know what's wrong. I try many times, but not successfull. Finally, I don't try again.

It is very important to burn operatingsystemcds with very low speed.. In case you havent tried that, gice it a try Smile
Shake
I've had this problem. In my case, the install CD does not work.
The CD spends like 10 minutes 'loading' and then the system restarts
and the process starts all over again. Nothing happens.
Arno v. Lumig
About having to burn it slow, that's not really true. You should burn it without any errors, but newer burners don't need to be slow for that. I burned many OSs on 32x and it's never been a problem.

About your error, I have no idea, I've never been able to make Ubuntu crash/error yet, but I'm not using it anymore either.

Greetz,
Arno
luckrn
Yep, i agree with Arno : never burn with a too hight speed, it's absolutely not important for songs but with datas it's quite important.
What about the MD5 ? Do you verify it ? Do you know what is it ?
This is an exemple : ftp://ubuntu.univ-nantes.fr/ubuntu-cd/edgy/MD5SUMS
It's a french exemple, no matter. You must verified your file after the download by this way. Wink
pluto
My first step would be to burn a new CD. Maybe the CD did not burn right the first time. If you still have this issue after burning a new CD, you might want to try Xubuntu and see if you can install without any problems.

How old is your computer? What is the computer specs?
xu-lun
olskar wrote:
It is very important to burn operatingsystemcds with very low speed.. In case you havent tried that, gice it a try Smile

I get the CD from ubuntu site.
infobankr
You can try out the new "Fiesty Fawn" Ubuntu live CD, too. Its has more drivers and support for different graphics cards and displays.

If you are new to linux and just want to try something out, you can also try Puppy Linux, it works on most systems. The ISO is an easy download:

http://www.puppyos.com/

You can also try Damn Small Linux (DSL):

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/