FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

the NEW seven wonders of the world.

vanille
There's some international council being held about the Seven Wonders of the World... www.new7wonders.com They're deciding which monuments will now be part of the Seven Wonders. The Hanging Gardens are Out! (along with others...) The Pyramids of Giza stay...

Based on the choices in the website and on your understanding of the historical importance of these 'candidates for wonder-hood', which would you prefer?
Tvis
Well for me the pyramids are still amazing. Not only how they were build so many years ago without machines and so on, but also the fact they are in such a precise way. exactly according to the stars and stuff. It's truly amazing. I'm not sure if it is yet found how they did all this. But for me the combination of things make the pyramids a very extraordinary building and therefore a wonder.
Yjaxygames
There are some things to vote for which I don't think should be 1 of the 7 wonders, like the Statue of liberty.
Magicman
Yjaxygames wrote:
There are some things to vote for which I don't think should be 1 of the 7 wonders, like the Statue of liberty.

I agree with that. Some of the choices aren't that wondrous at all. They may be wondrous locally but world wide they aren't that amazing.
Azmo
The Easter Island statues in Chile should imo be one of the 7 wonders.. so huge, and I dont know if we yet can say for sure how they were build.

But I find them amazing, and so well done. It's the same as the pyramids.. we know some facts.. but not all. Alot of people knows about them wolrd wide, just not that they talk about them very often. Anyways, if you ask me, they should be on the list right next to the pyramids.
missdixy
The Statue of Liberty does not belong on any list that also has those amazing pyramids!
vanille
Magicman wrote:
Yjaxygames wrote:

I agree with that. Some of the choices aren't that wondrous at all. They may be wondrous locally but world wide they aren't that amazing.

Hear, hear! Even though it's French, it ain't that great.
shwetanshu
I m supporting Taj Mahal (my country's nomination) and Pyramids.. dont know much about other country's nominations
{name here}
I voted for the older monuments because they are better deserving of the title "wonder" considering the technologies at the time.
Yjaxygames
{name here} wrote:
I voted for the older monuments because they are better deserving of the title "wonder" considering the technologies at the time.

Yeah I agree, problably in that time it was harder to make large buildings than now. Now we can just use a crane.
dickyzin
I would vote for Pyramids, Ankor & The Great Wall of China. They all possess great size, lots of man hours and ingenuity.
Arseniy
I voted for Ankgor, Easter Island Statues, Eiffel Tower, Great Wall, Machu Picchu, Stonehenge and Taj Mahal.
These are my favourite Razz
HoChiMo
Yjaxygames wrote:
{name here} wrote:

Yeah I agree, problably in that time it was harder to make large buildings than now. Now we can just use a crane.

btw: even today it would be hard to recreate stonehenge because the rocks used were transported more than threehundred kilometres (and some of the rocks have a weight of more than five tons!)
Tiger
Arseniy wrote:
I voted for Ankgor, Easter Island Statues, Eiffel Tower, Great Wall, Machu Picchu, Stonehenge and Taj Mahal.
These are my favourite Razz

Some nice choices there! While some of the ancient wonders are still around, I don't think that a 'new' list should include ancient wonders - we should have a new list with totally new wonders.

What was the purpose of the original list, if not to celebrate man's progress, intelligence and innovation? The Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge, etc should all be considered as modern wonders. If you want 'all time' wonders, then the pyramids of Egypt and South America, Stonehenge, The Great Wall, the Statues of Easter Island, the Colosseum and Ankgor Wat would have to feature along with others like the Via Appia and so on. After all, we don't have to stop at 7 now - 7 was an sacred number in ancient times because there were "seven: planets. We could go for 10 or 25 perhaps.
LostOverThere
What! Sydney Harbour, how in anyway is that a wonder? Laughing
dac_nip
Liberty should not be included in the list, it's a waste of vote. it's not worth to be nominated to the seven wonders of the world. other countries would be in rage, especially the middle east Very Happy
rheanna
Notice the date 777 which can be so called Beast of the Apocalypse Laughing I guess time will tell.

They have more posts on the oddieties 7/22 and 777
Quote:

Illuminati Birthday Celebrations

July 22 is 1776 days after September 10, 2000, which has been shown to be the official birth of the New World Order).

The newly approved design for the replacement of the WTC stands 1776 feet tall. (1776 is also equal to 1110 plus 666.)

This from an email received from an anonymous writer:

World War III will start on July 22 with the destruction of Chicago, Illinois by Bush and his crew to be blamed on Iran as the pretext for the ultimate “war on terror”.

Why Chicago?
1. Because of its Catholic population (c.f. Hiroshima and Nagasaki)
2. Because “Illuminati” and “Illinois” have each 2 l’s (11) and three i’s (9th letter of the alphabet so 999 which can be inverted to form 666.
link
the sears tower is in chicago and i know silverstein had purchased that building after 9/11 with a shadowy group of investors so this might be more relavent than i had originally thought
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46037&mode=threaded

I voted for the Statue of Liberty BTW ;o)
Azmo
Statue of liberty sure is amazing, but I can't help thinking of the fact that it's a copy, ye I know there are alot of pyramids aswell, but there are only 2 statue of liberty, dunno what's up with that, just bothers me, doesnt feel like a wonder even tho it's great..
r_y_e_20
vanille wrote:
Magicman wrote:
Yjaxygames wrote:

Hear, hear! Even though it's French, it ain't that great.

I agree too.. lets vote for the Statue to be removed from the list instead Laughing
jongoldsz
Well, it would be a wonder if someone managed to remove all the green from it. You used to be able to see the copper.