FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Thread of Socially Unacceptable Acts

Zampano
In the past, there were many practices which were considered acceptable which aren't considered acceptable nowadays (generally), such as torture.
What practices which are common now do you believe will be unheard of in the year 2050? 2100? State the practice and at what point it will be eliminated (or driven underground).

I think smoking will be eliminated by the year 2050; enough for it to be illegalized anyway. That's all I can come up with at the moment.

EDIT: Okay, I thought of another. In 50 years, it will be socially unacceptable (or at least considered a sign of weakness) to not own a firearm.
rheanna
If smoking became extinct then I would shoot myself with the gun that also became outlawed. Laughing I admit I'm weak. Bust me now. Laughing
Zampano
rheanna wrote:
If smoking became extinct then I would shoot myself with the gun that also became outlawed Laughing

No, guns aren't outlawed.
It is not owning a gun to is considered weakness.
dray101
Zampano wrote:
EDIT: Okay, I thought of another. In 50 years, it will be socially unacceptable (or at least considered a sign of weakness) to not own a firearm.

What kind of sick idea is that! Evil or Very Mad

If the world is heading that way then I think we should all kill ourselves now. Crying or Very sad

Owning a gun is just stupid and the fact that guns are all over the place in places like the US(of a) is just disgusting, it leads to far more deaths (a lot of which are accidental and almost all unnecessary) and leads to a sense of insecurity in everyone (cause you never know when you will be held at gunpoint)
A sense of insecurity can lead to people acting out of fear eg. supporting a war in a foreign country because the government pretends it has people in it who are more of a danger to the US, than US culture itself (US culture is very self-destructive)

THERE IS NO NEED FOR ANYONE TO OWN A GUN IN A COUNTRY WHERE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE THEM A POLICE, TRAINED SECURITY GUARDS AND MAYBE A FEW HUNTERS AND FARMERS (and in countries with little guns there is MUCH less need for security guards)
rheanna
Quote:
THERE IS NO NEED FOR ANYONE TO OWN A GUN IN A COUNTRY WHERE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE THEM A POLICE, TRAINED SECURITY GUARDS AND MAYBE A FEW HUNTERS AND FARMERS

Really? So if someone broke into your house with a gun demanding everything you worked for and because your unarmed and refused* You have no way to defend yourself* will the government stop him? (I.E. Police) No. Not until your dead. And if you think that burglar is going to let you let you live then think again. *No witnesses can't be Identified*

Depending on what state/county you live in; the response time for police to actually show up at the door step is 50/50 Depending on how important they think that the call is. Wink
reddishblue
Here we go...if nobody had guns then you wouldn't need to defend yourself against someone with a gun since there wouldn't be one...here's your next response...but what if they just happen to own one...well if nobody had one then there would be very low chances of being held at gun point, guns are a terrible thing and the fewer people have one is better.

And if everybody has a gun by 2050 then maybe I will leave the planet on the spaceships that will have been invented by then Rolling Eyes
rheanna
reddishblue wrote:
Here we go...if nobody had guns then you wouldn't need to defend yourself against someone with a gun since there wouldn't be one...here's your next response...but what if they just happen to own one...well if nobody had one then there would be very low chances of being held at gun point, guns are a terrible thing and the fewer people have one is better.

And if everybody has a gun by 2050 then maybe I will leave the planet on the spaceships that will have been invented by then Rolling Eyes

That's why the blackmarket was invented. Someone , Somewhere will have the gun and you'll be left standing in. OMG! I'm the victim. Laughing
reddishblue
LOL you just said exactly what my prediction of your reply would be
rheanna
reddishblue wrote:
LOL you just said exactly what my prediction of your reply would be

Cool

Hey , I might be drinking but I'm not blind

Laughing
fx-trading-education
rheanna wrote:

Really? So if someone broke into your house with a gun demanding everything you worked for and because your unarmed and refused* You have no way to defend yourself* will the government stop him? (I.E. Police) No. Not until your dead. And if you think that burglar is going to let you let you live then think again. *No witnesses can't be Identified*

Depending on what state/county you live in; the response time for police to actually show up at the door step is 50/50 Depending on how important they think that the call is. Wink

A question may also be:
what do you prefer?
- to be not armed and to have the risk that somebody takes your money and your goods
- to be armed and to be ready to kill somebody with the little risk (little but terrible) to kill by mistake an innocent person like somebody of your family or even your child. It unfortunately happens...
Daisie
Has this thread turned into a "gun right or wrong" thread?!

I hope that in a not so far away futur, Gay marriage will be acceptable, Women will gain equale pay than their male counterpart...

sorry cant think of anything else right now...
vanille
In the Future....

1. Anorexics will not be force-fed.
2. Yaoi just might become mainstream.
3. MOST of normal and daily forms of social interaction will occur through computers.
4. Homosexual Studies will become a subject in school.
5. Euthanasia will be legalized in many Catholic nations.
6. The Church will be outdated.
7. Indecency in women's clothing will be redefined. (in some shocking way to us today)
scrub
By 2050 or 2100, after civilization's collapse has progressed to the point where hunter-gatherer bands have become the predominant cultural form, I can see farming becoming outlawed or at least shunned in some areas. I don't mean back-yard scale gardening or horticultural practices like permaculture...rather the large-scale annual disturbance based farming which forms the majority of the diet. 2050 or 2100 are near enough in the future that the horrors of civilization will be strong in tribal memory and rules and guidances will have evolved to prevent either a return to a farming way of life and even possible suppression of neighbors who want to revive a threatening way of existence.
{name here}
dray101 wrote:
Zampano wrote:

THERE IS NO NEED FOR ANYONE TO OWN A GUN IN A COUNTRY WHERE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE THEM A POLICE, TRAINED SECURITY GUARDS AND MAYBE A FEW HUNTERS AND FARMERS (and in countries with little guns there is MUCH less need for security guards)

Would you rather see accidental impalements and severed limbs by switchblades rather than a clean blow to a major organ? Guns may be killing machines, but they are certainly better in the sense that if someone shoots somebody in the head with a gun they die near instantly rather then linger with pain and possibly a disease from a knife, sword, or any other sharp object.

I predict capitalism will be driven underground in the future similar to how anarchy is unheard of today.
reddishblue
If somebody has a knife or other cutting implement at least I can defend myself with one too, they can't kill me from yards away like they can with guns, even still when all anyone has is knifes people are less likely to risk their own safety.
{name here}
reddishblue wrote:
If somebody has a knife or other cutting implement at least I can defend myself with one too, they can't kill me from yards away like they can with guns, even still when all anyone has is knifes people are less likely to risk their own safety.

A sharp object can be just as effective as a gun close range or not(scissors, shurikens and throwing knives), if not more if concealed properly. A knife would just take a little more effort in most situations than the standard concealed guns legal in civilian hands.
dray101
fx-trading-education wrote:
A question may also be:
what do you prefer?
- to be not armed and to have the risk that somebody takes your money and your goods
- to be armed and to be ready to kill somebody with the little risk (little but terrible) to kill by mistake an innocent person like somebody of your family or even your child. It unfortunately happens...

That's my point, are you really ready to KILL SOMEONE and I don't think the risk of you (or a young family member) killing themselves or someone innocent is "little risk" at all!!!!!! on the contrary I think it is more likely to happen, than the gun does actually help you in a rubbery etc. Evil or Very Mad
Vrythramax
This is fast turning into a no-win conversation for both sides of the fence.

Personally....do I think guns will be legal for all by 2050....

That's a joke right? By that time in age the US will follow MANY nations that have already banned, and made illegal the ownership of any type of "fast-loading" firearm, contrary to popular belief....you don't need an assault rifle to hunt an un-armed deer or elk to supply your family with food. Last I knew of they (deer and elk) were not only color blind, but did not wear kevlar vests (*As a side note, body armor available to the public and law enforcement as well, will not stop, nor even slow down any hyper-velocity cartridge or projectile).

I hate to speak against the doom-cryers in the mix....but humankind will not end with the advent, nor legalization of any gun law. The real problem lies with MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) that has kept all nuclear wielding governments at bay for decades. The simple fact that if one nuke is launched by any country at another with undue cause WILL result in the total annhilation of that country and it's inhabitants....both the combative and passive populace would endure the same assured fate.

The issue here is not whether the outlaws have guns, nor if it's legal for all to carry one, a firearm of todays standard can, at the best, kill one or two individuals with a single shot....WMD's can wipe out entire populaces, outlaws and law-abidding alike....with a single shot.

I would hope in the next 40+ years that we as a whole gain enough tolerance and wisdom to make these weapons a part of our dark past, and we instead move towards a brighter future where our children don't need gas masks to go to school, and the common person does not feel the need to arm themselves to go grocery shopping.

I think it was Albert Einstien (I may be wrong) that said "mankind will not go out with a bang, but a whimper".

We, as a whole are (hopefully) too smart to allow (by any other term) any type of [allegedly] "controlled hysteria" to make any real or lasting differance in the ongoing history of mankind.

I'm off my soapbox now.
Vrythramax
Since this a thread of socially unnacceptable acts.....what of the nations that routinly torture and commit outright murder against thier own people?

A law-maker in the wrong place with the wrong attitude can kill more than any single person.....no matter how many guns and bullets they have.
rheanna
LoL, Texas is already looking into implementing the

"Shoot thy Neighbor Law"
arakavaz
Font colour: #583
watersoul
Future unacceptable behaviour?

Failing to recycle and sort your rubbish properly will become something liable to serious penalties by the authorities, and the criticism of our neighbours.
Its almost getting the case here in the UK, and many local authorities are refusing to take waste placed in the wrong bins etc, with even more are looking at charging people who are unwilling to make the effort to recycle...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6176973.stm

...will the same government agencies look at the businesses that create so much waste packaging in the first place as behaving unacceptably in the future? I think they'll have to Smile
Vrythramax
rheanna wrote:
LoL, Texas is already looking into implementing the

"Shoot thy Neighbor Law"

Didn't they already have the "He needed killin'" defense on the books in Texas? *snicker*
Coclus
I just wanted to say that history showed that the number of socially acceptable things may as well raise: In Greece, BC, they had a democracy and laws etc., and only a few centuries later, with advanced technology and knowledge, the medieval society accepted the killing of witches.... So who knows, maybe the whole thing will turn around.
HoChiMo
I guess many of states that still hold on to death penalty now will abandon it.
Moonspider
reddishblue wrote:

So you are saying that not even the state will have firearms?

I'll let Ben Franklin speak for my position. Wink

As for the topic of the forum, I dare not venture a guess because I think the future always has a way of surprising us no matter how clear our forethought may seem.

Respectfully,
M
Rico
The rich will become super-rich and the poor will become poorer, middle class will disappear and governments (who are manipulated by the people with money) will become increasingly dictatorial and invasive toward the disenfranchised individual (Joe-public).

If the world population only doubles (an exceedingly conservative estimate) there’ll be twelve billion consumers walking the planet.

Water farming (desalination of sea water) will be a very lucrative business. Fresh water scarcity will precipitate a host of socio-economic problems, resulting in a culture that will have a low tolerance for crime and dissent.

My guess is human life will become very cheap, and human rights will have to take a back seat. Police will get a lot more authority . . . wait a minute this is starting to sound like Megacity where Judge Dread struts his stuff. Lucky I’ll be dead by then.
brucedes
I'd say in about 100 years we'll be seeing a world landscape that is dominated by super states.

A single state of Europe IS going to happen one day (Have a look, it's already in progress.), and I suspect the same thing will happen one day in Africa too.

When the European one happens, I swear, I'm off.

EDIT: I don't know how it relates to social etiquette, but I felt like throwing it out there.
Afaceinthematrix
Yeah, many things are becoming socially unacceptable. I agree that smoking is getting more and more unacceptable.