FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The New World (A.K.A. North and South America)

arowphin
The exploration of the America's is a very cool subject to me!
The mysteries, the legends, the tresures, the journies, the romances, the hadrships, and times of struggle all make a great history!

Does anybody else like this subject as much as I do or have any interesting facts or stories to post? Like Pochahontus and John Smith, or Columbus's journies, or the war between the settler's and the indians, or the Pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving? If so PLEASE POST THEM! I'm always wanting to learn something new about this subject! Very Happy
Dark_Tiger
arowphin wrote:
The exploration of the America's is a very cool subject to me!
The mysteries, the legends, the tresures, the journies, the romances, the hadrships, and times of struggle all make a great history!

Does anybody else like this subject as much as I do or have any interesting facts or stories to post? Like Pochahontus and John Smith, or Columbus's journies, or the war between the settler's and the indians, or the Pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving? If so PLEASE POST THEM! I'm always wanting to learn something new about this subject! Very Happy

The romance kind of leaves once you learn a lot about the subject. However, it gets really funny.

Said by a native to a missionary somewhere in what is now New England/Canada: "You white folks are so stupid! This guy traded me 20 of these knives for one old skin!"
Zampano
Yeah; do you remember that time when Hernan Cortes came with 168 people and won a battle against the Aztec Atuallpa (however it is spelt) who was in control of 60000-80000 troops.

Yeah, that was a hysterically backward day . . .
Liambaby
I do like the fact that many americans still believe that their country was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492. Never mind the thousands of native americans having lived there for over 10,000 years, or the small colonies of vikings that had settled six hundred years previously. Nope, it was Colombus, and anyone who was there and says otherwise is lying Razz
web-geek
Liambaby wrote:
I do like the fact that many americans still believe that their country was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492. Never mind the thousands of native americans having lived there for over 10,000 years, or the small colonies of vikings that had settled six hundred years previously. Nope, it was Colombus, and anyone who was there and says otherwise is lying Razz

LOL that is the first thing that i thought when i opend up this thread!
Sharpe
I just know we bougt Manhattan for a few marbles. Pretty good real estate deal. :wink:

Imagine the profit we could have made if we sold it now.
budiman
Please read also the trouble the explorers caused to the place they explored. They stole, raped, kill and even destroyed the civilianzation. The worst is they re-wrote the history.
roninmedia
Well, guess what, its the same with an invention or any other discovery. Say you invented the light bulb before Edison did and you were about to file a patent, but it never got. One hundred years later, they find your patent application dated before Edison, they're not going to rewrite history with your name in it. Rolling Eyes

The Vikings did discover the Americas but it wasn't exactly divulged to a lot of people. I'm pretty sure people know Native Americans were here first. They are not that stupid. More or less, our country was founded by Anglo-Saxons Protestants who came over here after Columbus discovered the Americas.