FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I am so angered!

whoamifooling
I put this on my myspace page http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash_MP3_Player

Then the next day, most of my friends were using them. I started using Div Overlays, then they had Div Overlays.

Why do people have to copy everything someone does?

It makes me so mad.... I want to hurt them all!
Artelis
I'm sure you were the first to come up with it as well.
varon
well, you can be mad, but shouldn't you be more flattered? you're a trend-setter, and people followed your trend. Smile that's already a success. Smile besides, you said they're your friends. i don't think they did it on purpose because they wanted to plagiarize you.
TruPain
So you are saying that because you found something that your friends think is pretty cool, they should not be able to use it as well?

Seems pretty selfish and self-centered to me IMHO... If no one ever used anyone elses ideas, do you really think we would be where we are today?

I am sorry, I just fail to understand why this angers you so much... if anything, you should feel good about it since they liked the idea...
eggg
I would have to suggest innovating and creating better div overlays. With better div overlays you could avoid some sort of violent episode as a result of your anger.
Hunterseaker
You should contact the webhost or the webmasters and ask if they can delete yuor work....
Just show them your original file.
Maybe that will work.
MWANGI
I think that you should easily be able to delete it or modify your work the same way you stuck it up there. That is if you are sure you still do not want to share it with other people.

I suggest that you share it with other guys because who knows. Someone might even upgrade it and make it better and share it with others for free.So you might benefit in the end.What goes around comes around. It's called Karma.

It should even challenge you to come up with a better idea. Everything that has anything to do with computers can be improved.That is what I believe.
realkiller
if its that bad on how you feel bout them using what you made maybe pay and have it copyrighted lol its one way to stop it lol dunno how much it costs... want me to find you the number? Very Happy
Scott
You didn't right that flash player, whoever wants to use it can. No big deal.
alkutob
Some people like to take everything without effort and your friends are from this kind ... but in another case they advertize your success in indirect way
SonLight
I'm not sure what you're concerned about, since you provided the script and explicitly licensed it for non-commercial use. Copying techniques instead of code is usually considered "fair game", although in a few cases your methods might be unique enough to qualify for a patent. That would be quite expensive though, unlike copyright which costs nothing. Declaring something copyrighted or registering it is not necessary for it to have copyright status, but may be useful when you want to enforce the copyright.

Your friends are probably inconsiderate for not giving you some credit for their ideas. If they are using your script on a commercial site, then you can send them a formal request to remove the material or get a proper license from you. If they refuse, a desist order to their web host will probably solve the problem if the facts show a clear violation.

I hope you are able to work it out peacefully, and still consider each other to be friends.
Vrythramax
It could be a number of things,
laziness (it's easier to just copy something than to actually create something), why try to reinvent the wheel if there's a good working one available,
or maybe it's as was mentioned...you are a trendsetter.

In any event you should be happy that your friends respect your choices enough to want to follow your lead.
JBotAlan
Please lean away from MySpace and get centered back in the real world with real people!

You're getting ticked off because your friends "stole" an MP3 player that's open for the whole world to use? (which is probably illegal anyhow because those are copyrighted songs which I'm sure they're not compensating artists for...) And you didn't even WRITE the thing?

I'll leave it at that.

JBot
poiko123
Exactly the same has happened to me, but I am more flattered than anything else.
Zampano
whoamifooling wrote:
I put this on my myspace page http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash_MP3_Player

Then the next day, most of my friends were using them. I started using Div Overlays, then they had Div Overlays.

You're not the first person who ever became angry. You're copying God when he through Adam and Eve out of Eden! My goodness, bring in the lawsuits!
bikeflyer05
that sucks but i know how you feel. those rotten copy cats! Rolling Eyes
Blaster
Hey look at teh bright side your popular Very Happy
Pikokola
whoamifooling wrote:

Hey... then why do you use clothes? copy the things that your parents do ^^, Is that bad? I don't think so...

They did that because they think that's good or better than what they do or they have...
Fuzzy-Duck
Hey whoamifooling,

Regardless of the moral or ethical arguments of your cyber-friends copying your code, simply the fact...

whoamifooling wrote:
I put this on my myspace page

...means you can't really complain on a legal or quasi-legal level, sorry! You've posted your work on a publicly viewable networking site and as such I'm pretty sure you'll find MySpace says that means it's in the public domain!

Morally you might have more to go on - for example people above have noted a citation or thank-you link would've been common courtesy. But it's not really a brand new design, just a bit of coding and a bit of design - as a concept it's something people have come up with before and will come up with again, with or without seeing your version.

Plus, and here's the clincher - you've made it available to download under a Creative Commons License - which basically means private use is aok. So unless your friends are making money, you can't really object Sad

Sorry about that,

fuzzy
NuniPio
whoamifooling wrote:

sharing is caring.. if you really feel as though people shouldn't use things then create you're own software and put a license on it Very Happy
mstreet
Well copy-cating is the best form of complimenting and appreciation for ones work
jongoldsz
One phrase, "Monkey see, monkey do." They probably think that you are so awesome and they most likely worship you on a daily basis, so they copy you. Wouldn't you agree?