FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


How do you say 'WWW'?






How do you say 'WWW'?
Double u, double u, double u
71%
 71%  [ 64 ]
Dub, Dub, Dub
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
World wide web
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Something completly different...
23%
 23%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 90

dayveday
One thing that really annoys me is when people emphasise every letter in WWW Mad. It feels like they're wasting my time! Wink
Obviously it's much much longer than what it actually stands for. I've read some where that Tim Berners-Lee, the guy who invented the internet only meant for WWW to be a temporary name, but it caught on too well before he could change it.

So, how do you pronounce it? Do you know any other shortenings which are longer than the original?
Zampano
I don't say it.
For instance, if I were to tell some one about this site, I'd simply say Frihost dot com.
I think that a large enough alternative to be included in the poll; please edit that option in.
dayveday
Can I edit the poll? It's not showing up when I hit 'edit'.

Regardless, how would you say it if you needed to?
Captain Fertile
I say Double u, double u, double u, sorry if it annoys you. Smile
truespeed
I can never say double u double double u without the dot.
Cibes
When I'm talking about an address I don't say it at all, but if I do I'll rather use double u, double u, double u, dot, ...
Quote:
World Wide Web dot Frihost dot com

Shocked No, I don't think that sounds good!
Talking about it in general I'd use world wide web though!
Petee
I actually usually don't even say WWW, I just say the name of the site, whatever.com, but when I do say it...
I say double u double u double u. Wink
pashmina
i don't say it at all. i just say [site name].com/.net/...
darvit
Yeah, I just usually say "website dot com".. and like everyone else, if I have to say it, I say "double u, double u, double u.." Razz

I never knew that it sounded annoying to some people. Laughing
hlavco
double you double you double you dot fry host dot com
RiCtee
uhh.....I pronounce it as triple w (double u).
Loghete
ve ve ve punkt frihost punkt com

That's how I say it - in Swedish Very Happy
That's kind of saying V V V in Swedish. Shorter than W W W.
kidd
well i usually dont say www... but well when i have to say i say it has double u double u double u ... but why would any1 say world wide web lol waste of time Razz
Arseniy
I pronounce it like "VVV" or even don't use www-prefix, just saying address of page, like frihost-dot-com.
Peterssidan
I am swedish so I say like it should have been V V V as Loghete said. It sounds like "Veveve".
I don't think I ever have said that in English before. If I have than I think I have said like it is in swedish Razz
Yantaal
Zampano wrote:
I don't say it.
For instance, if I were to tell some one about this site, I'd simply say Frihost dot com.
I think that a large enough alternative to be included in the poll; please edit that option in.


agreed nebver say it, but when i do i emphasise it as much as i can
catscratches
Swedish pronounciation of VVV (ve ve ve). But I say dot for dots . even if it's called punkt (er) here in sweden, since I am speaking swenglish.
crimson_aria
I prefer saying (website).com instead of the www.(website).com unless I need to. If I do, I say double u double u. Only twice. I don't know, I find it long to say the "w" thrice.
ashish2005
I don't use www that much. While talking about a website or mentioning a website I prefer to say or type the site without the www. But when I pronounce www I pronounce it as duble u duble u duble u in a faster way. So I say daulu daulu daulu really fast.
wietn
I never say www.

I just usually say frihost dot com or frihost punt com
(punt is dutch for dot Wink)
Kaisonic
I think the WWW is just stupid. It's just a sub domain that mirrors the actual site. It's like some guy was like, "My URL isn't cool enough, it needs a "world wide web" in front of it, hehehe". But now, it just seems like part of a web site's address, which is why I use it. I usually just say "double-u double-u double-u".
Yjaxygames
Most of the time I don't say it, but if I do I say it in my own language (dutch). The best example I can give is this:
it sounds a bit like: way way way.
erlendhg
When I say www (and usually I cut it out from the addresses), I say v v v (in Norwegian) almost like: veh veh veh

If you have Microsoft Sam text-to-speech, the closest would be ve-ih ve-ih ve-ih
mOrpheuS
who ? what ? where ?

or

whoa ! whoa ! whoa !

depending on my mood.

I've also observed that it annoys the heck out of most people if you constantly keep pronouncing the "dot" as "full-stop" or "decimal point" instead.

Wink
Captain Fertile
mOrpheuS wrote:
I've also observed that it annoys the heck out of most people if you constantly keep pronouncing the "dot" as "full-stop" or "decimal point" instead.

Wink


ROFLMAO I love it! I am going to do that from now on to annoy all those internet snobs out there!!! Laughing
mathiaus
If I'm saying WWW, I will say it as Double u, double u, double u. Their all capitals so that's how you are supposed to say it and and trying to say it how it looks just sounds a mess
Like most people here, I also don't mention it when referring to a site. URL's rarely require it.
Srs2388
None of the above... I just say the name of the website.
Example... instead of saying www.yahoo.com
I say yahoo.com
TruPain
Like most of the replies here so far, I tdo my best not to say it all all... but if I need to say it, it iw always double u double u double u dot whatever dot com/net/org/etc
hunnyhiteshseth
I rarely use www. in front of website, I generally say websitename.com like hiteshlab.frih.net instead of www.hiteshlab.frih.net

When I used to say, I said: dublu dublu dublu
Daisie
Depend to whom I m talking to... If it's someone who use the net often, I skip the www but if it's to someone who is a newbbie on the net, I ll use "double u double u double u".
But it does bug me when someone say "double u ect" to me! It's a bit like stating the obvious I feel...
CMA
Who, what, when, where, why...? Wait, that's 5 W's...

When I do say it, it's "double u double u double u", but I usually cut that part out as I usually assume people will include that. For the websites that DON'T have the WWW, I always mention that fact.
bartdou
(three w dot) frihost dot com
shwetanshu
i seldom say www... i usually tel the site name as orkut.com

but if i have to say it sometimes... i use www... double u double u double u
Apewebbi
Just: sitename.com
Shin
Yea.. I think it depends on who I spoken with and WHAT website too! The more well known the website is, the more i "skip". eg, I said google and hotmail, and then bbc.co.uk. If the person is in doubt i guess i have to say "double u double u double u" Smile
The_Gamer294
i said double u but its more of a dubyoo because i dont have time for extra syllables. but if i was just saying a site to someone i'd just be like google.com or frihost.com without the www. btw go to www.com
bearso14
I don't say www because it's a waste of time, just say the website without it and people will know anyways.
Commando_Sondre
I mainly say double u, double u, double u. But since I'm norwegian, I also say just v v v.
Blaster
I never say it. I will say gmail dot com. The only time i ever use www. is when i have to at school to get to the school website because our school is stupid and if you dont the school site won't work.
Qube
You know, I never really thought about this one.
Just like everyone else I don't ever say it.
But if I do...
I'm from Tx, lol.
So just like our "good" ol' president, I say dub-ya.
darrenpaul
I'm a double u double u double u kinda guy. Normally I just say that to people who are unfamiliar with the net.
Vrythramax
dayveday wrote:
One thing that really annoys me is when people emphasise every letter in WWW Mad. It feels like they're wasting my time! Wink
Obviously it's much much longer than what it actually stands for. I've read some where that Tim Berners-Lee, the guy who invented the internet only meant for WWW to be a temporary name, but it caught on too well before he could change it.

So, how do you pronounce it? Do you know any other shortenings which are longer than the original?


Correction...I worked for Mr. Berners-Lee while attending MIT for the World Wide Web Consortium (w3.org).....he did not invent the Internet, that had been in place for almost 40 years, he wrote the Hyper Text Transfer Protocal (http) that made the world wide web a reality.

Please check your facts.
Fright Knight
wowowee. I don't say it. I just say nba.com or frihost.com.
Wilio
It's simple, I say triple w.
justnewbie
Hmm.. usually I don't say it at all since the URL address will still work without www in front. But talking about WWW in general, of course I would said its full definition, world wide web.
{name here}
Double u x3 since it is an acronym for World Wide Web and should be pronnounced like letters as such IMO.
Vimor
Honestly I never even type WWW in when I go to websites anymore cause it isn't really necessary... sometimes I wonder why it is even up there.... but ya when I say it I still say World Wide Web cause Double-U, Double-U, Double-U would just get to annoying.... lol
ItsWesley
Usually I don't include the www. bit because on a lot of websites, it is unecessary, but sometimes I do say it and that is double u double u double u
pieman
I always say double u, double u, double u. It really annoys me when people just say it twice - that's far worse than not saying it at all because if you put in two w's, you're not going to find anything!
Daniel15
Like most people here, I don't actually say the www. But when I do, it's either "Double U Double U Double U", or "Dub Dub Dub" (I never used to say Dub Dub Dub, but I know quite a few people that do, and it caught on Razz)

Vrythramax wrote:
dayveday wrote:
One thing that really annoys me is when people emphasise every letter in WWW Mad. It feels like they're wasting my time! Wink
Obviously it's much much longer than what it actually stands for. I've read some where that Tim Berners-Lee, the guy who invented the internet only meant for WWW to be a temporary name, but it caught on too well before he could change it.

So, how do you pronounce it? Do you know any other shortenings which are longer than the original?


Correction...I worked for Mr. Berners-Lee while attending MIT for the World Wide Web Consortium (w3.org).....he did not invent the Internet, that had been in place for almost 40 years, he wrote the Hyper Text Transfer Protocal (http) that made the world wide web a reality.

Please check your facts.

Yeah, he invented the World Wide Web Smile
Scott
If I do say the www part I say "double u double u double u". Anything else sounds really stupid to me. You really don't need to use the "www" part though.

Vladalf
In my country (Romania) we pronounce in other ways.
But when I'm talking to a foreign person I use: double u, double u, double u.
meet in rio
I either don't say it at all (more often than not), or I just shorten it and say 'double u dot'.
theem
I have voted for :-
Double u, double u, double u Arrow
alkutob
I think it became something normal to give someone any address without saying www .

Users of the net got the address without it .

But when you write any address you find yourself normally begin the address with www .
urbanbuddha
I say it double u, double u, double u. =P
skygaia
I usually say 'Double u, Double u, Double u'... sometimes I said just site name without www
JBotAlan
Well, since my school filter is dumb and filters some sites out if you don't put a www. in front of it, I sometime specify that there needs to be a "double u double u double u" in front of it. I'm thinking of switching to "triple double u", but then if I say it to an illiterate friend, they might type "tripledoubleu"...hey, that might actually be kind of cool!

I am actually interested in how this would be said in other languages. "v v v"--that's pretty cool!

JBot
{name here}
Vimor wrote:
Honestly I never even type WWW in when I go to websites anymore cause it isn't really necessary... sometimes I wonder why it is even up there.... but ya when I say it I still say World Wide Web cause Double-U, Double-U, Double-U would just get to annoying.... lol

Actually, some domains will not work if you don't type the www. For example: http://osfree.org/ does not work while http://www.osfree.org/ works.
Pikokola
If it's me... Usually I don't spell the "www" thing, just the domain, like frihost[dot]com etc

but when I should say www, I say it using double u double u double u, but here, in my country, it spell "we we we"
Fuzzy-Duck
I usually say "all the double-yoos dot" etc - am I the only one to do that?!

kidd wrote:
but why would any1 say world wide web lol waste of time Razz


Kidd, I think some people say "world wide web" bacause it's quicker than saying "double u double u double u" Surprised

Though I do think it sounds a bit weird - has anyone noticed they hardly ever give the www. bit in adverts too? Proves that even the hoi polloi don't need it these days...

Cheers,
fuzzy
glabase
i just use the double u version - anythin else is gay Laughing Razz
mstreet
Triple double u dot.
oleszka
I say it just "tri dubl u" (in Russian) - in english it sounds like "three w"
eku53ru
I normally say it as "double u, double u, double u," but I've also heard it said "triple double u" by people television (it was a part of a song, though; I guess I can't blame them). It's always interesting to see how many different ways things such as acronyms can be pronounced. The possibilities are (sometimes) endless.
Josso
I've actually given up saying that first bit when I'm telling people website addresses. I pronounce it "double u, double u, double u" by the way.

Just say josso.co.uk or whatever, anyway in most browsers it'll asume you are talking about http:// automatically anyway.
william
Well, for me, normally I would say thesite.com, excluding the www. However, normally I do say "double u, double u, double u," and the "dot" before the name of the website. In many cases, I would say "dub, dub, dub," only because I'm lazy at the point. Very Happy
ThornsOfSorrow
I usually don't say it, since most web browsers don't require that you type it anyway. Therefore, when giving someone a web addresss, I leave out the w's as well at the http:/. However, on the rare occasions when I don't leave it out, I just say "double-u, double-u, double-u dot". After all, that's what makes the most sense to me.
k10000s
I don't usually say "www". But if I need to say it in my country, Korea, I would say sound like...well I can not spell it exectly here, because English does not have that sound...it sounds like "tta tta tta" if I try to spell it.
CyanEyed
normally i omit it....but if im talking to a complete noob who hasnt got the slightest clue, ill say either:

dub-yu, dub-yu, dub-yu

or

haitch, tee, tee, pee, colon, slash, slash Laughing
b|ade
Usually most people say it as:
(dubOyou-dubOyou-dubOyou)
But it is a very rare exception of an acronym who's syllables are greater than what it actually represents. Another is FTW, for the win. Most people do not actually say the WWW but just the host name. WWW is too long in most cases, and people stick with the host name. I don't know of anyone who says World Wide Web.blahblah.com. Cool
frozenhead
... something like (WWW) 'triple W dot"
Duncan Idaho
Dub-a-u-dub-a-u-dub-a-u-dot-*put what you want here*-dot-cohm

I think it should be Double-U, but it is just lazy/sillyness that drives me to say it the way I do I suppose.
Vrythramax
*sigh*....In English, ya know where the entire concept of the WWW and the Internet itself was created (America), it's always pronounced double-u double-u double-u, newbies or people wishing a shortcut (which I don't understand, it's only 3 letters not whole words) can say it however they like.

I think this topic has reached an end...it's all spam now.

-closed-
Related topics
The Unofficial Jokes Thread
20 things not to say to a cop
About ads and language
Things you'll never hear dad say
I've had it with php-nuke, time to say goodbye
Here is my art for you
What Is Your Favorite Time Of Year
rowling say the best Publishers
When Do you say you had enough in love?
Freedom of speech? Sure! Just watch what you say!
frequent lan crashes
How old is this guy?
SAY COMPUTER GAMES "NO"
Talking about China
I am so sorry I must say goodbey to you all
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.