FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Attachments with Mail app on MacOS X

Animal
A friend of mine has just got a MacBook (new one with Intel processor, MacOS X etc) and is having a fairly major problem with the Mail app.

The computer originally came with a trial version of MS Office - this was uninstalled and replaced with AppleWorks. Every time a .doc file was opened via the double-click, there was an error message given - I managed to sort that out, so any .doc files opened on the desktop etc now open in AppleWorks. However, when a .doc is attached to an email, no matter what I do, I can't get it to open in AppleWorks simply by double-clicking the file. Instead, it opens in Text Editor. I've tried setting the default action to use AppleWorks, but it keeps reverting to Text Editor.

Can anyone please tell me how I can fix this before I'm forced to recommend a Boot Camp / WinXP install!?!?
Handyman
Animal,

If you hold down ctrl and click on the attachment in the mail application a menu should open to let you choose which application you want to open the document with.

There is another option that I don't know if you tried.

1. Save a word doc to the desktop.

2. Hold down ctrl and click once on the file.

3. Select Get Info.

4. Under the heading Open with: select the application you wish to use and click change all.

This should set the default program for those files system wide.

I hope this helps!
Animal
Handyman wrote:
If you hold down ctrl and click on the attachment in the mail application a menu should open to let you choose which application you want to open the document with.

Yeah, I've tried this. However, in the Mail application, there's not an "Always use" option. It doesn't remember my program choice when I try this.

Handyman wrote:
There is another option that I don't know if you tried.

1. Save a word doc to the desktop.

2. Hold down ctrl and click once on the file.

3. Select Get Info.

4. Under the heading Open with: select the application you wish to use and click change all.

This should set the default program for those files system wide.

Again, I've tried this and it works on every word document opened on the system except when I try to open the document from within Mail. I really appreciate the help, but I don't suppose you've got any other ideas...? Eh?
Handyman
my only other suggestion would be to either switch to open office or call apple support they are the best in the business. There might be an update for the universal binary for apple works.