FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Report Suggestion

Scorpio
Its great to see the new feature being implemented on frihost.
I would recommend that it would be nice to have an image instead of a standard text link to the report page.

An image would look nice and would capture attention(when necessary) instead of a text link which looks like it is a part of the profile or something
garionw
I'm not sure how it works behind the scenes, but maybe the reported things could display up in our account page, similar to our AWITS, and could also display the status of them (Reported, Closed, Ignored)
Bondings
garionw wrote:
I'm not sure how it works behind the scenes, but maybe the reported things could display up in our account page, similar to our AWITS, and could also display the status of them (Reported, Closed, Ignored)

I want to keep the outcome private. Also, the reports aren't taken individually and there is no separate status for each report. I can make a list of all the reported posts/topics/users and a link to the post/topic/user though.

@ Scorpio, I prefer text links on the internet. Images take time to load and have other problems, while text links are much simpler. (a hard way of saying that I don't want to spend several hours on designing an image, while a text link is done in a minute)
Blaster
I have to agree with scoripio on this one... i think that would b a lot more eye catching and all.
Marston
The point of the "report" feature, however, is not to catch your eye, it's there for a reason.
Blaster
yea you make a good point there. I just think it would look nicer... but what do i k now..
Scorpio
Marston wrote:
The point of the "report" feature, however, is not to catch your eye, it's there for a reason.

I am not asking it to be eye-catching as in a melange of colors. It must atleast be clearly visible to a person looking for it the first time. Not hidden away in an obscure corner at the top of the post.

Atleast the arrow thingy could be made distinct so as to make it "visible"
Hogwarts

I couldn't work out what font it was... So I improvised. The "T" looks a bit defective... Apart from that this image can be used Smile

Still, it's all up to Bondings in the end.

Edit:
This is how the bottom would look

Edit2:
A bit more refined...
Bondings
Thanks Hogwarts! That one definately looks good enough for me. Very Happy
Blaster
Good job hogwarts that really looks good. Very Happy Thats much nicer.
Hogwarts
Blaster wrote:

- Newer one - - Older one

I fixed it up, added a transparent background, and remove all the space on the right.
Blaster
That looks a lot nicer... if i where you bondings i would use this one.
Marston
I dunno, I kind of liked the text one...
Scorpio
Hogwarts wrote:
Blaster wrote:

- Newer one - - Older one

I fixed it up, added a transparent background, and remove all the space on the right.

I was about to suggest a transparent background. Good that you beat me to it.

Very Happy
garionw
looks like the old one has been used Rolling Eyes Laughing
Hogwarts
garionw wrote:

From... To...

I worked out there was a "t" on "Quote" which could be copied. Stupid me Razz

It looks better now Smile
Bondings
Hogwarts wrote:
garionw wrote:

From... To...

I worked out there was a "t" on "Quote" which could be copied. Stupid me Razz

It looks better now Smile

Thanks! I replaced the previous one with the new report image. Very Happy

@Marston, same for me, but I guess we are the only ones who like text links here.
Scorpio
But hey, everyone wins, We have one text link for the user and one image for the post.

Thats equality. Very Happy
wumingsden
scorpio wrote:
But hey, everyone wins, We have one text link for the user and one image for the post.

Yeah, definitly equality.

Did you all know that staff members cannot see the buttons themselves? Rolling Eyes

There's really no need for us to see them, but equality Eh?
garionw
Bondings wrote:
@Marston, same for me, but I guess we are the only ones who like text links here.

I think it all depends where. If all of the other boxes are images, a text link won't fit it, but then the link on the side for reporting a user looks good, because the others are text links
Marston
Bondings wrote:
Wink Oh well.
Blaster
I like both. I like the text under the user but the image up next to the quote. Only because it looks nicer that way. More like it was ment to be.
Scorpio
wumingsden wrote:
scorpio wrote:

Did you all know that staff members cannot see the buttons themselves? Rolling Eyes

Of course, you people need not report anybody. You can take care of it yourselves, I guess
Hogwarts
scorpio wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
scorpio wrote:

Yeah, definitley equality.

Of course, you people need not report anybody. You can take care of it yourselves, I guess

There are a certain few cases when a moderator shouldn't take care of something.
For example, if somebody is flaming a moderator I don't think that they should resolve it themselves because they could deliberately unfair.

Also, you may not have noticed the "Report Topic" text link at the bottom of the page, guys. Wink
Scorpio
Hogwarts wrote:

Also, you just may not have noticed the "Report Topic" text link at the bottom of the page Wink

Whoah! I didn't actually. Should we be doing something about that?

Like putting that link at the top of the topic page?

Certainly most new users wouldnt be knowing that?

Also, about flaming mods and stuff, it is true that personal vendetta may come before professional ethics in more than one case.
After all mods are not gods.

But I guess we've been taking that risk for long enough. Rolling Eyes
mathiaus
Hogwarts wrote:
scorpio wrote:

There are a certain few cases when a moderator shouldn't take care of something.
For example, if somebody is flaming a moderator I don't think that they should resolve it themselves because they could deliberately unfair.

There are other ways that staff communicate though if anyone is flaming at all, they should be warned. eg. you flame me, I don't take it personally but you still broke the rules Razz

Hogwarts wrote:
Also, you just may not have noticed the "Report Topic" text link at the bottom of the page Wink

scorpio wrote:
Should we be doing something about that?
Like putting that link at the top of the topic page?

You should read a topic first before knowing whether to report it or not. If you read it, you would have to scroll up again (or hit the top button) to report it, therefore hiding ( Razz ) it at the bottom is the best place for it.
As for should you be doing something about it? That depends on whether the topic you are reading should be reported or not Very Happy

scorpio wrote:
After all mods are not gods.

How do you know Question
wumingsden
scorpio wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
scorpio wrote:

Of course, the whole reason why we cannot see the buttons Smile
Scorpio
@mathiaus:

Quote:

There are other ways that staff communicate though if anyone is flaming at all, they should be warned. eg. you flame me, I don't take it personally but you still broke the rules

Yes, but the punishment may be more severe than a usual run-of-the-mill flame because of the personal thingy..
Quote:

You should read a topic first before knowing whether to report it or not. If you read it, you would have to scroll up again (or hit the top button) to report it, therefore hiding ( Razz ) it at the bottom is the best place for it.
As for should you be doing something about it? That depends on whether the topic you are reading should be reported or not

reason enough for me. But try and make it noticeable. Like a small "report topic" image next to the post reply image. And only one image per page wont increase loading times for most people. And would be noticeable too

Quote:
How do you know

Well, not in the sense of the word, you aren't. But you certainly could be called the kings of the forum, atleast.
Twisted Evil
Blaster
Wow i didn't notice that either. But i think you should move it up some. Still keep it on the bottam just move it up to a better location.
Bondings
Reporting a post is much more frequently needed than reporting a topic, that's why it isn't in a very visible location (taking unnecessary space).

Besided, when you report a post or topic, we take a look at the topic in question and either do noting, remove a post or the whole topic - not really taking into account if you reported the post or the topic.
Blaster
I do have one question. When you get these spam bots that spam forums and all should you report the topic, the user, or the post?
Scorpio
Blaster wrote:
I do have one question. When you get these spam bots that spam forums and all should you report the topic, the user, or the post?

The user would be the safest bet since all the threads can be deleted that way.
tidruG
scorpio wrote:
Blaster wrote:

The user would be the safest bet since all the threads can be deleted that way.

That's right. If you report a spam bot, we can move all his posts to the Spam Can at the click of a single link.
Blaster
You sound like a tour guide tidruG so i'm going to say Ohhh Ahhhh

Nah but thanks for answering my question Very Happy
wumingsden
Blaster wrote:
You sound like a tour guide tidruG so i'm going to say Ohhh Ahhhh

Nah but thanks for answering my question Very Happy

Not that it needed answering seen as we don't get spam bots (or at least I haven't noticed any) since Bondings installed the new verification registration system.
Bondings
We do get manual spam bots. Wink
Blaster
They still register and post that way.

Bondings you should also have it where you can report stuff in the wrong forum. Like if i where to find a funny joke in the general forum rather then the jokes forum.
garionw
This probably isn't the right topic, but have you considered writing a akismet plugin for the forums, that should stop most Spam altogether manual or not
wumingsden
garionw wrote:
This probably isn't the right topic, but have you considered writing a akismet plugin for the forums, that should stop most Spam altogether manual or not

I don't think anything like this will ever be considered, seen as information, however limited, is sent to another place who are legally entitled to do whatever they wish with it.

On a side note, although I like th project, I don't think it will help here at frihost seen as we now have so little spam.
garionw
wumingsden wrote:
garionw wrote:

I don't think anything like this will ever be considered, seen as information, however limited, is sent to another place who are legally entitled to do whatever they wish with it.

On a side note, although I like th project, I don't think it will help here at frihost seen as we now have so little spam.

Well anything we post here is public anyway, were just sending it off first - and you can probably disable it for the hidden forums
wumingsden
garionw wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
garionw wrote:

Well anything we post here is public anyway, were just sending it off first - and you can probably disable it for the hidden forums

What I mean to say was information is sent off. Now this info is apparantly not private information, but it is possible that the projects hidden agenda is to collect email addresses, names, ect (although obviously extremely doubtful).
This is why I don't think bondings would like the idea. I believe there was a similiar discussion about a similiar project which handled the registration of users. something called bbantispam, or something similiar.