FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Use XHTML + CSS to get higher ranking!

newaira
I've read many posts here and none so far mention how much Google loves giving higher rank to websites written in XHTML and CSS. Forget about your tables and your <font> tags. Learn how to use <div> and <span> with CSS and you will be on the right track.

PS: Always try to work on making your sites more accessible. That will help you refrain from using tables for the layout.
Simulator
I used DIV for a long time and never used table but I now like table better than DIV
Gerardus™
newaira wrote:
I've read many posts here and none so far mention how much Google loves giving higher rank to websites written in XHTML and CSS. Forget about your tables and your <font> tags. Learn how to use <div> and <span> with CSS and you will be on the right track.

PS: Always try to work on making your sites more accessible. That will help you refrain from using tables for the layout.

Hi, so what do you mean with making it more accessible? I use dreamweaver mx 2004 to make my pages, and can write different pages with it, but wich one would be smaller and will load faster? I know mostly html, but i want to learn much more, but i don't want to waste my time on learning programming wich i better not use if i want to try for a high ranking..
here is a sample http://www.akamarketing.com/index.html
No1 in list when i search for:" high ranking in google". Notice the simplicity of the site, it doesn't look like a difficult site to make. But they are a succes.
And if everybody really know how it works, why are their sites mostly nowhere to find in google or yahoo? Question Maybe it's a matter of the public, and the queries we enter, one season it's this, the next season it's that.
I think what really counts is live, up to date content and news on your site and good referals from higher ranked sites. Or ofcourse pay for it, but sometimes i doubt if that's a good idea..
corey
If you use xhtml with divs and css, you're allowing the page content to be found and easy to read by text-based browsers, which webcrawlers basically are underneath. If you do this, people who are blind can read your site content by using screen reader software. Tables break it up a bit and the content might not make as much sense. If you really want to exclude this group, just use frames. The screen readers (and the search engine's robots) can't read what's inside.
gonzo
corey wrote:
people who are blind can read your site

hehehe
Brndnjng
I don't understand really...

So if you use XHTML google will rank your site higher up? =/
sonam
I am not pretty sure that google ranking working on that way. I thing that is most important content on your home page. Only images and yust few words is not enought for good ranking. Rolling Eyes

Sonam
budazz
Simulator wrote:
I used DIV for a long time and never used table but I now like table better than DIV

what is the difference between those two?... Smile
Balkanboy
budazz wrote:
Simulator wrote:

what is the difference between those two?... Smile

Using div tags leads to more light and simplier code pages than using tables with milions of tr and td tags. Serach engine is reading code of your webpage not only text like human so... less code higher accsesibility and keyword density and blah blah I dont know what else more but I am sure divs are better than tables. Of course it's stupid to avoid tables no mather what.