FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

problem with damage hard

mony
my harddisk hit the ground when i connect it to my computer .
the computer read it once and never do that again all what i need is to get any program can get my files from that harddisk since the bios setup can read it so i think the board of that harddisk is still life

So can anyone help me
rheanna
Is it the computer or the hard drive itself that you dropped? Not understanding you.

To see if a hard drive itself is still active you can always connect it to another computer.

If you dropped the computer you may have loosened something inside. I would check all the connections.
Bones
If you have 2 hard drives, try installing that one (the 'broken' one) as a slave drive, use the other hard drive to boot the pc and see if you can read the data from it.

Another alternative would be to do a parallel install of Windows (assuming that you use Windows), then backup your data once the parallel install is complete. Once the backup is done, then format the drive and reinstall Windows once again, and reimport the data that you backed up.

OR, you could use a linux live disk to boot the pc and see if you can read the data from the drive at that point.
psycosquirrel
I am guessing the hard drive that fell and broke was an external one. This sort of thing actually happens quite often with externals. In almost all cases, the platters end up getting permanently scratched and the drive becomes useless. See if it is under warrantee so you can get a replacement.

There is no way to get the data that was on the disk.
Daniel_78
A harddrive always can break down. It's also really important to have on any time a backup of your data or better of your whole system.
mony
thanks for every one answer that questoin
for (rheanna) i think it is clear that my harddisk is lost im sorry for this misunderstand
diduknowthat
Stick the harddrive in the freezer and then hook it up to the computer. Sometimes this allows the harddrive to operate for a small amount of time, usually enough so you can rescue the data.
Bones
diduknowthat wrote:
Stick the harddrive in the freezer and then hook it up to the computer. Sometimes this allows the harddrive to operate for a small amount of time, usually enough so you can rescue the data.

That's pretty cool (no pun intended) I've never heard of it before and almost wish I had a broken hard drive to try it out Wink

Hrm by the way..you realise that your sig is comparing a dual core to a single core cpu right??
rheanna
make it a secondary drive, you should be able to get the info off of it then.

[quote=didyouknowthat]Stick the harddrive in the freezer [/quote]

Thanks for the tip Wink
jay84h
diduknowthat wrote:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is hilarious, hahaha
rheanna
Yuh, I'm blonde I'll try it Laughing
diduknowthat
jay84h wrote:
diduknowthat wrote:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is hilarious, hahaha

Hey, it works sometimes Very Happy
ezekiel_rage
I have the same problem.

I took out oune of my hard drive and accidentally dropped it.

First time I tried to plug it in my system again, it worked.

After that, It keeps beeping and can't be read by any OS.

It is a 40 gigbyte Maxtor DiamondMax 8.

It is an internal hard drive.

Though I have learned not to tinker with computer hardware when you already have had 8 bottles of beer.

You may still have your cogntive functions relatively intact but your mototr skills has gone to the dump by then Razz

Is this still recoverable.

Will trythe freezing trick and report if it works.

Regards
MMMeeeeee1
Sent it to me and ill repair it, ill transfer the didk into another casing. Easy to do and done it plenty before. My e-mail is Pc_problemsolvers@yahoo.co.uk
psycosquirrel
Uh, the problem is the drive, not the casing.

When a hard drive (even in the enclosure) falls and hits the ground, usually the reading armature scratches the surface of the platters and the drive is toast. Just get a new one.
MMMeeeeee1
Not always toast, data can still be recovered, usually when a hdd is dropped its no good plugging it bk in with the same housing as this can do more damage, if put into another case i can probably retreive a large amount of data, but yh still need a new drive tho to put the data onto lol
psycosquirrel
Odd. I've taken hard drives that this type of thing has happened to, put them in new enclosures, or even directly in another pc, and they never work. This is coming from someone who has tried it with at least 5 hard drives that had clients' "important" data on them. I told them, if it's not backed up, its not important...
internetjobs
if you hearing any sound from the hard disk, it may be a media problem, then try to recover your data by some recovery tools like ontrack recovery,. other wise you can repair your hard disk. by removing bad sector...
ezekiel_rage
psycosquirrel wrote:
Odd. I've taken hard drives that this type of thing has happened to, put them in new enclosures, or even directly in another pc, and they never work. This is coming from someone who has tried it with at least 5 hard drives that had clients' "important" data on them. I told them, if it's not backed up, its not important...

I had the drive sent to the dump. You are are right if its not backed up then its not important.
waxxsavea
i had this same problem with my harddrive but i was able to network through dos to my laptop and retrieve my files