FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Make me a website because we are friends

Hobbit

Who else can relate to this? We probably all can.
MrBlueSky
LOL Very Happy

Hobbit wrote:

Good thing I don't have friends. The bad thing is some people expect you to fix their computer-related stuff just because you can. Wink
rheanna
lol, I tried that once then he got carried away.. Everyday he wanted me to take care of his site for him..which is time consuming. So I put to stop to all that...It takes a lot of time just to up keep the site, update it, do the design aspect. Websites I charge now. If I make one that's public then everyone can use it but it's at my own pace and they have have to learn html/php/css on their own. Cute pic BTW
Hobbit
By the way I didn't make this animation. I forgot where I got it, but who cares cause that site is parked now.
darvit
Thanks for that great animation! I can totally relate! Laughing

What a coincidence! A friend of mine messaged me this morning and asked me to explain the concept behind domain names and webhosting.

I was trying my best to explain everything properly and clearly, but then again this friend of mine would ask and ask questions, to the point that all I had to say was, "ok, I'll design your website for you and get you a domain name!"--but of course, I didn't say that. Wink

What I said was, "ok, I'll see what I can install for you on my extra space... and I'll show you later this week." Sad

I'm really bad at saying no to friends... Crying or Very sad

I could have used that animation this morning... Oh well. *sigh*
Zug Zug
o.O kind of how I can make jewlery...and my sisters always ask me to make them some for free....even though the materials are costly. BTW that's an adorabl animation.
Zampano
I have some crazy notion that half the people on this site aren't designers but are pretending to be such in order to fit in on this forum.
For shame, Frihosters, for creating such a society! Wink
Captain Fertile
Zampano wrote:
I have some crazy notion that half the people on this site aren't designers but are pretending to be such in order to fit in on this forum.

I don't think you have to be a designer to fit into this community - you just have to be honest! Very Happy
Zampano
Captain Fertile wrote:
Zampano wrote:

I don't think you have to be a designer to fit into this community - you just have to be honest! Very Happy

Okay, I'll be honest:
I know nothing about designing websites except the basic stuff.
Threads like this make me very paranoid.
Hobbit
You don't have to be a designer. Just that fact that you are here for hosting, means that you know how to edit a template that might not even be yours. Still, that makes you superior from the rest of the population, and people might still ask you to make them a site, etc.
Lessien
this post makes me scared to ever post a question again
i'm making my own site, installing some programs for a forum and such
though nothing i install seems to be willing to work
anyway
by what i read here, i shouldn't even bother asking for help?
i know there are lots of people who don't even bother to try but what of those who already have spend months trying, like me?
i'm not a designer, the only thing i know is the basic html
i think it's not really fair to consider all the peeps the same
right now i'm really considering to ask someone to help and install the things for me, pref setting the entire thing up
does that make me a bad person too?
think bout that for a change
not all ask for help cause they might be plain lazy, some ask cause they are desparate to make things work
sorry for this rant but this topic makes me feel like everybody who asking for help is actually taking advantage of the designers
catscratches
What kind of forum? If it's Simple Machines, then you need to change all files permission to 777. Never be afraid to ask for help! BUT! Don't ask, could you create a forum for me.... Just do it..

Ask kindly and give information and never ask like that, ask:
anyone know a free, easy-to-use forum service?? or
I'm trying to install a forum, Simple Machines, I've uploaded all files but it says It can't create a database. What should I do?
darvit
Lessien wrote:
anyway
i know there are lots of people who don't even bother to try but what of those who already have spend months trying, like me?
right now i'm really considering to ask someone to help and install the things for me, pref setting the entire thing up
not all ask for help cause they might be plain lazy, some ask cause they are desparate to make things work
sorry for this rant but this topic makes me feel like everybody who asking for help is actually taking advantage of the designers

That's a good point, actually. Smile

However, there are two kinds of people "asking" for help: those who will take advantage of your kindness and abuse it, and those who are willing to learn from the experience [e.g. like your example].

This animation, I believe, addresses the first kind. Wink
Hobbit
Lessien wrote:
anyway

Help is a different thing. It means we can assist with any problems you encounter while trying to make your own site. But if you post "someone make me a site", it probably won't happen unless you cough up some $frih.
psycosquirrel
This reminds me of a shirt I bought from ThinkGeek.com: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/388b/

I work in IT. My friends and family all know it. I get asked at least once every week to fix something on someone's computer. Because I always fix them free, no questions asked, I got that shirt as a joke. Very Happy
HoboPelican
Phhhht! What a bunch of whiners! Laughing Try owning a pick up truck! Instead of sitting on your butt making websites for friends, you'll be moving them from apartment to apartment, picking up furniture, hauling mulch, just moving anything that they can't fit in their subcompacts!

But, hey, they are friends and you do what you can. Smile I figure they got complaints about me, too. Wink
rheanna
I will try to help whether I'm right or wrong ;o)
Not an expert, Never said I was. But more hands on experience. Cool
I don't know the definitions but usually (usually I can find the problem and fix it right away (Hands On Offline) online it's difficult for me.
I have no experience in computers (School Wise)
I've just been self taught and been doing rebuilding for the past couple of years. I would say more then over 5 years
Same goes with editing websites, banners , logos, mysql, php, cgi
Not a programmer so I can't write it. I can edit it the technical aspects of the database, CGI, PHP, HTML,HTM
Yes, I work, so no, I don't have all day to spend on it
I'm in and out of town like the wind.
Cool

S*cks, tonight is my last night until Wed.
CMA
I admit it, I don't know squat about HTML... I used Frontpage to make my website, lol XD

Good anim, there. But as soon as the designer guy asked what the other guy did for a living I saw what was coming next. Laughing
theem
hey i thought its somekinda request ...

hahahah but that's really funny Laughing

good job... Razz
Zenireth
Hobbit wrote:

I can definatly! i'm waiting on making a website for a band, i did there t-shirt/hoody and logo all for free! most of you probably will call me nuts but hey i am Razz (i'm not the brightest spark in the box Very Happy )
fred frituurvet
lol a free car for making a website would be nice Razz
bartdou
my poor site was shutted down because of my minus points, before this my site was loaded so slowly because there are many high quality bg pictures, Sad
creakinator
HoboPelican wrote:
Phhhht! What a bunch of whiners! Laughing Try owning a pick up truck!

I can so relate to this one - I own a pickup and am a computer geek and have a strong back, so I can hit up for both "can you pick this up for me" and "i have this computer problem."

I finally told one friend when she called for computer help for the upmteenth time - no more. Go pay someone for the help!

i was into making websites a while ago but got burned by a 'friend' who I did a paid website for very cheaply as she was a 'friend' - not a friend anymore as she accused me of saying I would publish her sites to the different search engines and do that type of marketing for her. I also designed a website for someone who would send me pages to post, then a few days later email me to pull the pages or changes them as there were mistakes on the pages. Finally I told her, no more.

Christy
Blaster
Hey hobbit can you make me my site now? Razz
deadskinmask
I tried this one time making a website for a friend and it was the worse mistake ever as I was getting called like daily for issues or "How do I do this?" I'll never do it again Wink
CitricSquid
Haha, that's great, i can relate to it in a way, i've been in that situation once or twice, just got to basically tell them to get stuffed Razz
Blaster
I didn't even notice the animation... thats great Very Happy
The_Gamer294
lol i did that once. i made a page in black and white that said:

me.

yep im a pretty boring person.

www.google.com
Vrythramax
I have no problem helping a friend with thier website....as long as they are actually trying to do it on thier own. What irks me is the people who want a free site made from scratch that serves no purpose other than for them to be able to say "I have a website", and they have no idea what they want to put on it.

That's trully annoying....to me anyway.
Blaster
yes i agree with you max. I am the same way. I'll help someoen if they want help and are going to actually do something with there site.
JBotAlan
I'll either help someone--they do it mostly by themselves and ask me when they need help, but I don't actually do any coding--or I do it myself.

Quite often, I will get frustrated with someone wanting me to code their stuff, and I will either take over entirely and kick them out of the "driver's seat", so to speak. It's more irritating trying to code with someone else in the computer chair... Smile

I like coding myself. I learn by doing it, and that's why I force other to code their own stuff--they need to learn what they're doing.

I have ended up setting up more than one wireless router in our neighborhood, though. The neighbors wouldn't let me turn on encryption, and so I have no idea who is connecting to their networks. I almost think it should be illegal to have an open access point...but then again I like freedom.

JBot
ankur.vatsa
I am not a web-designer, but in software. I have experienced this, I know people who will not think twice before asking something like that.

But I take it in good sense, if I have the time and not much to spend - I do it for friends. After all they think I could do it and they think they could ask me for help and if I can I do it.

Not often but I have helped my friend in a similar situation.

And then, there are some very special friends with whom you do not think of money etc - so you do it for them.
Vrythramax
ankur.vatsa wrote:
And then, there are some very special friends with whom you do not think of money etc - so you do it for them.

Agreed. I have some friends who are not quite so "computer-literate" who needed help, and I have written things to help thier other interests, but in general if (most) people are not willing to help themselves, then they should hire someone to help them.

I'm not a greedy person, if someone is willing to work just a bit...I'll offer my time and experience to help them along...without any thought of compensation.
Srs2388
lol... that would be something to see... someone give a car and have someone else's name on it... think of the exposure Razz
BosLady
I get that all the time. Every one of my friends has approached me for a website. AARRGGHH. I have been giving them a steal of a deal when doing one for them because I have refused to do them for free. I have a real hard time billing and collecting from friends. I would just prefer they would use someone else. Leave me alone!
biljap
I spent the whole last summer making website and other projects concerning computer science for a friend… I even wrote her a guide, a step by step but she didn’t want to use it, it was easier for me to do it, right? Never again. I mean, I’m glad a helped her, I was the one who offered a help but it was a very bad experience which started to grow into something much different than help. I want to help but not to do everything instead of you and that you even don’t want to see how it looks like until the day of the exam came? What about my time?
Later she wanted me to do something else for her… And I again agreed and stopped it when I realized she’s using me… Nothing for free anymore, whoever you are.
Jack_Hammer
MrBlueSky wrote:
LOL Very Happy

Hobbit wrote:

Good thing I don't have friends. The bad thing is some people expect you to fix their computer-related stuff just because you can. Wink

You seriously don't have friends?
Everyone needs friends...
Twisted Evil
raine dragon
yeah, I've been put in that situation quite a few times. The only thing worse then that, is group work at school. I had to repeat a basic HTML course because the one I took at the local college didn't transfer to my new school properly. and I thought it would be no big deal. Then suddenly we are doing long term group work and I'm stuck with 3 people who can't even make a basic link, who want me to just do the whole project...and not only that, they want all the bells and whistles. I must have put 60 hours into that stupid site; it was supposed to be a 5-hour project tops. x__x;
erlendhg
That one is pretty funny Razz
Yeah, I have met the thing about "can't you make me a website, since we are friends?"

Mostly I end up doing it for nothing.
...to kind Razz

Actually, once, there was some guys I know that wanted me to make them a site for their Counter Strike clan, and I spent a lot of time making them a design and some systems for posting messages, and things like that.
And when I finally was finished, they came and said they had changed their mind, and did not want a site Shocked
balticJay
love the animation...i have to admit i have asked a friend before to do me a website not for free though, but looking back i do think i went overboard with all the questions. i was just excited on getting my site up eventually and curious on how it all worked. i used to have a site on msn where i used to host all my paintshop pro tutorials and to be honest coding the pages was really easy and since i have been using paintshop pro for nearly 6 years now making websets was a breeze for me too. after a year i decided to close the msn site down and go to the world wide web and i soon realized it was totally different, i felt very frustrated by it all and thats when i asked my friend for help. however i think my friend heaved a sigh of relief when i told her i will be going to college this year to learn web design Laughing
Dragonfly
Lolz,, Hobbit that's a very smart graphic and dialogue by the way... And there is nothing called Free like Frihost... why should a car salesman gets his website for free when he is doing well with selling cars? A designer too earns money by making websites. I think both are smart but both deserve something too.

However, a good friend will gift a car to his good friend like a good friend would design a website for his good friend.
reddishblue
Vrythramax wrote:
...that serves no purpose other than for them to be able to say "I have a website", and they have no idea what they want to put on it.

That's trully annoying....to me anyway.

Ha! Thats me right on! Except, I make my own sites and I do a reasonable job of it at that, and I also know what to put on it...stuff!
Yeah I got it all worked out. Cool

No really though, I understand this 95.42%. I get asked to make layouts sometimes, but I have a spine, I just tell them to "Keep on truckin'!", and then they punch me, and I look like a jerk, but hey, I got to make a 70's reference.

Dragonfly wrote:
However, a good friend will gift a car to his good friend like a good friend would design a website for his good friend.

Did I ever tell you I love you? Can I have my car now?

From the insane ramblings collection.
Reddish
hack_man_
Oh yes, i can definitely relate to that... I hate it when people try to do that to me...
furtasacra
Lessien wrote:
anyway

No, no, don't think that! It's fine to ask questions. It's just not okay to ask somebody else to actually do the work FOR you without compensating them for their time and skill. That's not help, that's unpaid labor, and as you can tell by reading this thread, that makes web designers feel used and resentful.

That said, I personally ask for help all the time... I'm good at layout and graphic design, but my experience is in print, so I had to learn HTML and CSS. I'm still learning new stuff all the time; I only know the most basic bare bones about PHP right now, and I don't hesitate to yell for help if something doesn't work and I get stuck. But I'm still doing everything myself, including screwing things up! You don't want to know how many times I've broken WordPress trying to install plugins to customize it. However, I will tell you that I'm surprised the paint isn't blistered and peeling off the walls from the appalling profanity that has been uttered in the room where I'm sitting. Laughing
justnewbie
Is it only me or what? I can't view the animation there.
seanooi
i never like doing sites for people. But good friends are an exception. I mean really close good friends, those which don't take you for granted, i'll help them whenever they need help.
Others I'd just tell them no in their faces.
GSIS
justnewbie wrote:
Is it only me or what? I can't view the animation there.

It takes quite a long time to load.

I can definitely relate to the OP's statement. Now I don't ever admit to knowing anything about computers.
Pikokola
MrBlueSky wrote:
LOL Very Happy

Hobbit wrote:

lol, Yeah it's ever happened.

My friends : Hey, you're good at computer, please fix my cell phone
me : WTF, cell phone? even I didn't have one, and you ask me to fix this one??? T___T
m-productions
I think the picture is 100% incorrect, If you go to a page you think looks very nice, and you see somewhere, a link to who the website was made by, I go there to check out the persons other work, I do this on a lot of sites, and even phpbb themes.... and comparing it to a car is just kinda stupid, I love to help my friends out, and all they have to do is link back to me where they want.
Vrythramax
m-productions wrote:
I think the picture is 100% incorrect, If you go to a page you think looks very nice, and you see somewhere, a link to who the website was made by, I go there to check out the persons other work, I do this on a lot of sites, and even phpbb themes.... and comparing it to a car is just kinda stupid, I love to help my friends out, and all they have to do is link back to me where they want.

Not when you stop to think that many corporations pay tens of thousands of dollars for their websites...and keep staff on hand to keep it updated. A car would have been cheaper for them.
m-productions
Vrythramax wrote:
m-productions wrote:

Not when you stop to think that many corporations pay tens of thousands of dollars for their websites...and keep staff on hand to keep it updated. A car would have been cheaper for them.

thats true, but noone is going to make a site thats worth that kind of money for a friend...
xtxtx91x
Hobbit wrote:

haha that is so funny
and yeah i can relate to that!
ReubenWilliams
Hobbit wrote:

THATS ME!!!! In the BLACK top. My friend did make me a web site. It was the 1st one is his portfolio. Then he did my Mums. Now he has got a professional job doing it, all because of the stuff he did with us. For FREE. You can see it a www.reubenwilliams.frih.net
phpSub
MrBlueSky wrote:
LOL Very Happy

Hobbit wrote:

I relate to the part where people ask you to fix their computer-related
stuff just cuz' you can.

At times, I hate knowing how to work things.
BugBear
Hahaha, I can totally relate to that. Although i'm not as advanced as some of you i'm like the big fish in a small pond Razz. First I started helping because I was learning how to do everything, then after a while they start piling more and more untill your basically running their site and they just own it. -,-
Ryuujin
ROFL! That was hilarious!

And so true.